Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Star Wars VII The Force Awakens
Empire is the best directed, best written, and best acted of all of the Star Wars. Lucas was smart to not direct it. He knew he was a better producer than a director. I'm with Royle on this one. The introduction of Yoda, Luke's training and facing his fears, Han and Leia, Boba Fett, Luke confronting Vader, the reveal, Han being captured, and the end. It ends on such a cliff hanger and with such a sense of defeat.
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-19-2015, 01:04 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: Empire is the best directed, best written, and best acted of all of the Star Wars. Lucas was smart to not direct it. He knew he was a better producer than a director. I'm with Royle on this one. The introduction of Yoda, Luke's training and facing his fears, Han and Leia, Boba Fett, Luke confronting Vader, the reveal, Han being captured, and the end. It ends on such a cliff hanger and with such a sense of defeat.

Plus there's the battle of Hoth. IMO it goes 5 7 4 3 6 1 2
Reply/Quote
(12-19-2015, 01:21 PM)eoxyod Wrote: Plus there's the battle of Hoth. IMO it goes 5 7 4 3 6 1 2

I told my brother when we got out of the movie "It definitely is top 3, but after I watch it 3 more times, it might beat a New Hope for 2nd best".

I can get behind your rankings. 

Reply/Quote
Since I haven't seen it yet (planning either a late showing tonight or mid-afternoon showing tomorrow) and some of the things you guys have said, well, it made me want to know what you thought about the Jar Jar was a Sith theory.

Without going into too much detail, supposedly Jar Jar was planned on being outed as a Sith lord (possibly even Palpatine's master) in Lucas' original vision of Episodes 2 and 3. Allegedly, Lucas lost his nerve after the inital backlash and overwhelming hatred for the character and so rewrote 2 and 3 and created Dooku to play the Sith lord part that Jar Jar was supposed to play.

I honestly can't say I buy that theory, but man, I would LOVE to have seen where that would have went. Imagine Lucas creating a character that is reviled by literally the entire world only for the world to find out in a "I am your father" kind of way that Jar Jar was really a (THE?) Sith Lord!
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(12-19-2015, 06:28 PM)PhilHos Wrote: Since I haven't seen it yet (planning either a late showing tonight or mid-afternoon showing tomorrow) and some of the things you guys have said, well, it made me want to know what you thought about the Jar Jar was a Sith theory.

Without going into too much detail, supposedly Jar Jar was planned on being outed as a Sith lord (possibly even Palpatine's master) in Lucas' original vision of Episodes 2 and 3. Allegedly, Lucas lost his nerve after the inital backlash and overwhelming hatred for the character and so rewrote 2 and 3 and created Dooku to play the Sith lord part that Jar Jar was supposed to play.

I honestly can't say I buy that theory, but man, I would LOVE to have seen where that would have went. Imagine Lucas creating a character that is reviled by literally the entire world only for the world to find out in a "I am your father" kind of way that Jar Jar was really a (THE?) Sith Lord!

Some easy ways to discredit this theory are that Gungans are genuinely athletic and flexible since they're natural swimmers. Also, Jar Jar was a Senator and war hero from Palpatine's home planet. It isn't embarrassing for him to be seen with one of his closest political allies (as Naboo would support the Supreme Chancellor). 

I really hate internet theories. 

Reply/Quote
(12-19-2015, 01:21 PM)eoxyod Wrote: Plus there's the battle of Hoth. IMO it goes 5 7 4 3 6 1 2

I may get flack for this, but Revenge of the Sith is my personal favorite. That's the one that made me fall in love with Star Wars. If I'm ranking them it's 3, 5, 7/4, 6, 1, 2. I can't decide just yet if I like The Force Awakens more than A New Hope. 2 had that great scene with all those Jedi on the battlefield and we actually get to see Yoda in action, but the Anakin/Padmé love story was so unnatural and so far from feeling organic. 1 has Darth Maul who's amazing it's a shame he was a 1 off for the movies, they brought him back in Clone Wars which was cool, but Jar Jar bogs that film down. I like many wish Qui Gon stuck around. Now as for why Revenge of the Sith is my favorite? I had seen the originals when I was young 5/6, but I wasn't old enough to appreciate them. By the time I was Revenge of the Sith had come out, I wanna say I was 12 and that was the first Star Wars to grab my attention. I mean that final battle with Anakin and Obi-Wan was great. I think that's the best lightsaber duel in the entire saga. The Emperor and Yoda going at it? Dude! I liked the way they intercut those two battles. At the end when Obi-Wan is saying "You were the Chosen one!" to Anakin, you could see the pain on his face, Jedi are trained to set their feelings aside, but Obi-Wan's heart was broken, he lost his best friend/student/brother/son to the Dark Side. Ewan McGregor was just great.

Reply/Quote
(12-20-2015, 03:27 AM)Bryan Wrote: I may get flack for this, but Revenge of the Sith is my personal favorite. That's the one that made me fall in love with Star Wars. If I'm ranking them it's 3, 5, 7/4, 6, 1, 2. I can't decide just yet if I like The Force Awakens more than A New Hope. 2 had that great scene with all those Jedi on the battlefield and we actually get to see Yoda in action, but the Anakin/Padmé love story was so unnatural and so far from feeling organic. 1 has Darth Maul who's amazing it's a shame he was a 1 off for the movies, they brought him back in Clone Wars which was cool, but Jar Jar bogs that film down. I like many wish Qui Gon stuck around. Now as for why Revenge of the Sith is my favorite? I had seen the originals when I was young 5/6, but I wasn't old enough to appreciate them. By the time I was Revenge of the Sith had come out, I wanna say I was 12 and that was the first Star Wars to grab my attention. I mean that final battle with Anakin and Obi-Wan was great. I think that's the best lightsaber duel in the entire saga. The Emperor and Yoda going at it? Dude! I liked the way they intercut those two battles. At the end when Obi-Wan is saying "You were the Chosen one!" to Anakin, you could see the pain on his face, Jedi are trained to set their feelings aside, but Obi-Wan's heart was broken, he lost his best friend/student/brother/son to the Dark Side. Ewan McGregor was just great.

Ewan McGregor made Revenge. I love that final fight and his speech to Anakin before leaving him for dead. 

Reply/Quote
(12-21-2015, 06:50 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: Ewan McGregor made Revenge. I love that final fight and his speech to Anakin before leaving him for dead. 

Best moment in the prequels. 
Reply/Quote
Now we have to wait for Rogue One ! One year !

And again I say unto you, It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God.

Reply/Quote
Have to say I am VERY disappointed. Force awakens is to date my least favorite star wars film/show. It was extremely slow, with average at best acting, and half of the movie was predictable to anyone who has seen the originals as they pretty much just reworked scenes from the original trilogy. I didn't feel any connection to any of the new characters
Reply/Quote
Finally saw it, today. Waited until things died down. Loved this movie. I had some issues with it, as someone that knows more than the casual movie viewer I had to get over a couple of things. But it definitely didn't ruin things for me. I am placing this one as third on my list thus far.
Reply/Quote
New rebels trailer :

And again I say unto you, It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God.

Reply/Quote
(12-31-2015, 06:40 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: Finally saw it, today. Waited until things died down. Loved this movie. I had some issues with it, as someone that knows more than the casual movie viewer I had to get over a couple of things. But it definitely didn't ruin things for me. I am placing this one as third on my list thus far.

Yeah.....I waited for the madness to subside as well....and get a babysitter ThumbsUp

Caught it last night, and I really enjoyed it.  This was Star Wars to me.  I saw Empire in the theaters as a young kid, as well as Jedi, and this took me back to how I remember Star Wars.  Not just because of the familiar characters, but the way it was shot, the planets, the ships, costumes.....you name it.  This had more of the original feel to it.  I've seen the prequels, and frankly am not a fan.  I just didn't like them.  I think this film can get me back into the series.  I had a good time at the movies, and it didn't feel like 2 hours and 16 minutes at all.  I haven't been this entertained since Mad Max: Fury Road.  I go third too.....Empire, New Hope, Force Awakens, Jedi.....then just toss the others in a bowl and whatever order they come out in is good with me.  Well.....except for Phantom Menace.....Jar Jar Binks.....brought annoying to a WHOLE NEW level.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(12-21-2015, 06:50 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: Ewan McGregor made Revenge. I love that final fight and his speech to Anakin before leaving him for dead. 

(12-21-2015, 07:37 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: Best moment in the prequels. 

There were really only two parts of the prequels I can still watch — the Kenobi-Jinn-Maul fight and the Kenobi-Anakin fight. The rest of the movies were so bad as far as the acting and dialogue. Even the scenes in ships — which were some of my favorites from 4-6 — were boring.

(12-29-2015, 08:19 PM)mallorian69 Wrote: Have to say I am VERY disappointed. Force awakens is to date my least favorite star wars film/show. It was extremely slow, with average at best acting, and half of the movie was predictable to anyone who has seen the originals as they pretty much just reworked scenes from the original trilogy. I didn't feel any connection to any of the new characters

I'd be interested to hear some more thoughts on this. Outside of de-handing another Skywalker descendant and having one of the main characters come from a desert planet, I thought it stood pretty well for unique material.
Reply/Quote
(01-18-2016, 03:28 PM)Benton Wrote: There were really only two parts of the prequels I can still watch — the Kenobi-Jinn-Maul fight and the Kenobi-Anakin fight. The rest of the movies were so bad as far as the acting and dialogue. Even the scenes in ships — which were some of my favorites from 4-6 — were boring.

I'd be interested to hear some more thoughts on this. Outside of de-handing another Skywalker descendant and having one of the main characters come from a desert planet, I thought it stood pretty well for unique material.

I mean, it was a clear reboot following similar arcs as ANH did. But we've needed that. We've needed new heroes to love and for kids to grow up loving. Luke Skywalker is the hero of a grown up generation. Rey will be a hero a generation of kids, and adults like me who are in love with Daisy Ridley.

They are giving us characters who are more unique and enjoyable. 
Even the villains are genuinely different and enjoyable in their own rights. 

I thought they did a very good job of creating a unique lively environment, ESPECIALLY the Maz Kanata scenes. Brilliantly done. 
Reply/Quote

Reply/Quote
(01-18-2016, 03:28 PM)Benton Wrote: There were really only two parts of the prequels I can still watch — the Kenobi-Jinn-Maul fight and the Kenobi-Anakin fight. The rest of the movies were so bad as far as the acting and dialogue. Even the scenes in ships — which were some of my favorites from 4-6 — were boring.

I may be alone on this, but whenever I hear that Samuel L Jackson is going to be in the movie I cringe.

I used to be a big fan of his when he first came onto the scene... but his acting skills are about as one dimensional as you can get.

He just raises his voice instead of displaying the emotion.

Of course there are a few of his classics that I enjoy but anything after those have been terrible(except Avengers)IMO.

Dude is majorly overrated.

Yeah those movies were so bad that even great actors like Liam, Ewan, and Natalie sucked in it too.

Yoda just made me laugh my ass off.  Sadly I don't think that was the intended response.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(01-21-2016, 10:39 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: I may be alone on this, but whenever I hear that Samuel L Jackson is going to be in the movie I cringe.

I used to be a big fan of his when he first came onto the scene... but his acting skills are about as one dimensional as you can get.

He just raises his voice instead of displaying the emotion.

Of course there are a few of his classics that I enjoy but anything after those have been terrible(except Avengers)IMO.

Dude is majorly overrated.

Yeah those movies were so bad that even great actors like Liam, Ewan, and Natalie sucked in it too.

Yoda just made me laugh my ass off.  Sadly I don't think that was the intended response.

He's overrated like Stallone or Schwarzenegger are overrated...only overrated if you expect something else when you see one of their movies. 

Now if people cast him into roles that require more....not his fault for collecting the payola 
Reply/Quote

Reply/Quote
RIP Artoo ... Sad

May the Force be with you.

https://uk.movies.yahoo.com/star-wars-icon-kenny-baker-dies-r2-d2-actor-was-173408734.html

Reply/Quote