Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Steelers Screw Up Another One!
(03-10-2019, 04:55 PM)StrictlyBiz Wrote: Q: What trio gives the Steelers the best chance to reach a Super Bowl

1) QB...Big Ben
    RB....James Connor
    WR.....JuJu Smith

2) QB......Josh Dobbs
    RB.....Le'veon Bell
    WR.....Antonio Brown

A:_______________________________

****If you answer #2 you're just trolling. 
Let me phrase it this way, a way in which Bengal fans can understand

Q: What trio gives the Bengals the best chance of not finishing LAST in the AFC North next year

1) QB........Andy Dalton
    RB.........Gio Bernard
    WR........Tyler Boyd

2) QB........Bigzoman
    RB.........Joe Mixon
    WR........AJ Green
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2019, 11:46 AM)StrictlyBiz Wrote: To be fair, the only other option would be to not trade him, force him to come to OTAs and camp, and fine him when he doesn't show up. This would drag on into the new league year, offseason, and possible longer, like camp and preseason. 

It would've been an distraction of epic proportions and the Steelers would then be criticized for botching the situation by holding on to him too long just like they did with Bell. 

They really were in a no win situation and probably why they decided just to be rid of him and move on. Can't say that I don't agree with how it happened given the alternative. It sucks. They got screwed but at least they can put the two malcontents behind them and build from here. 

Personally Im happy that all of this is over. They still have a lot of good players and if you think they're going to suck and be an easy out next year, then you haven't been paying attention to the way they do things. They will rebuild in short order. They have already proven that they don't need Bell and have Golden Taint courting them already. 

I'm not predicting anything great next year, they're not winning the division or making the playoffs, but don't expect them to all of the sudden be a 4 or 5 win team. This is the bottom, they can now start to ascend again. 

Even if the Steelers refused to trade him, he could have simply filed his retirement papers to avoid the fines and unretired once the Steelers didn't have cap room for him.  He did make some comments about not needing to play anymore.  That is a big difference between between him and Bell.  The Steelers have fallen over themselves to back the Brinks truck up to Brown's door numerous times.  He doesn't need to continue playing to have long term financial security, and now the Steelers are finding out that the financial security they gave him is massive leverage. 

The Steelers had to trade him.  They played hardball with Bell last year and lost and can't afford the drama or setting aside massive cap dollars for a guy who isn't playing again.  Everyone else knew this and the Raiders stuck it to them.  The big concern is that if only one player strongarmed their way out of Pittsburgh, that's a player problem.  When multiple players do it, that's a team problem.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2019, 04:59 PM)StrictlyBiz Wrote: Let me phrase it this way, a way in which Bengal fans can understand

Q: What trio gives the Bengals the best chance of not finishing LAST in the AFC North next year

1) QB........Andy Dalton
    RB.........Gio Bernard
    WR........Tyler Boyd

2) QB........Bigzoman
    RB.........Joe Mixon
    WR........AJ Green

Could've always shoot for a new franchise QB in the draft or gunned for Nick Foles.

Interesting dichotomy you got there.
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2019, 07:05 PM)THE Bigzoman Wrote: Could've always shoot for a new franchise QB in the draft or gunned for Nick Foles.

Interesting dichotomy you got there.

......you're going to get into a bidding/trade war for Foles? And which Foles are you going to get? The one who won a Super Bowl or the one who couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with the Rams? 

Or you're going to take a crap shoot on a drafted QB, spend the twilight of Browns career waiting for him to develop, all while hoping Bell can resist hitting the bud? Not to mention having to develop a young QB with Brown in his ear lobbying for his catches and stats, and then throwing a temper tantrums on the sidelines when he doesn't get them. Ah, no thanks. Brown is one of the LAST receivers that you want around a rookie QB. Completely toxic. 
Reply/Quote
Just like with OchoCinco, I enjoyed and laughed at AB's antics....even as I saw it becoming more of a problem. I didn't really think we'd see another TO or Ocho, but AB might be worse because it sounds like he's an actual POS off the field, too.

Doesn't matter much. PIT still has it's own Marvin Lewis to get rid of. Not winning anything until that happens.
--------------------------------------------------------

Reply/Quote
(03-10-2019, 05:19 PM)Whatever Wrote: Even if the Steelers refused to trade him, he could have simply filed his retirement papers to avoid the fines and unretired once the Steelers didn't have cap room for him.  He did make some comments about not needing to play anymore.  That is a big difference between between him and Bell.  The Steelers have fallen over themselves to back the Brinks truck up to Brown's door numerous times.  He doesn't need to continue playing to have long term financial security, and now the Steelers are finding out that the financial security they gave him is massive leverage. 

The Steelers had to trade him.  They played hardball with Bell last year and lost and can't afford the drama or setting aside massive cap dollars for a guy who isn't playing again.  Everyone else knew this and the Raiders stuck it to them.  The big concern is that if only one player strongarmed their way out of Pittsburgh, that's a player problem.  When multiple players do it, that's a team problem.

I believe that if he retired he would have to pay back a portion of his signing bonus money.

And there's no way the Steelers could have played hardball with him, especially after the Bell situation. There are a lot of pissed off Steelers fans that think that they should have. If they did, it would have been the Bell situation magnified by 100. It would have lingered into OTAs and probably camp and preseason and Brown would've used social media and the retired players in the media who are largely on his side from a player/union perspective (they've been the ones pushing the blame Ben angle hard).

In the Bell situation they have been crucified for not cutting bait and dragging it along for nothing while wasting $14M in cap space, but now they're getting shit for avoiding that with Brown

They were in a no win situation. 
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2019, 08:09 PM)JustWinBaby Wrote: Just like with OchoCinco, I enjoyed and laughed at AB's antics....even as I saw it becoming more of a problem. I didn't really think we'd see another TO or Ocho, but AB might be worse because it sounds like he's an actual POS off the field, too.

Doesn't matter much.  PIT still has it's own Marvin Lewis to get rid of.  Not winning anything until that happens.

I've been one of the bigger fire Mike Tomlin people lately. But after this turn of events, I've cooled it off a bit. Now that the cancer has been cured from the locker room (Both AB and Bell), I want to see what happens now. 

I know that he's largely responsible for allowing Brown to become what he has, but that's been a runaway train for years. Now the slate is clean, so I say lets start fresh (well, almost) and see what he can do.
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2019, 08:34 PM)StrictlyBiz Wrote: I've been one of the bigger fire Mike Tomlin people lately. But after this turn of events, I've cooled it off a bit. Now that the cancer has been cured from the locker room (Both AB and Bell), I want to see what happens now. 

I know that he's largely responsible for allowing Brown to become what he has, but that's been a runaway train for years. Now the slate is clean, so I say lets start fresh (well, almost) and see what he can do.

Tomlin's biggest weakness is underachieving despite having great talent so I guess having a less talented roster technically makes Tomlin's weakness less of an issue. 
[Image: Cz_eGI3UUAASnqC.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2019, 04:59 PM)StrictlyBiz Wrote: Let me phrase it this way, a way in which Bengal fans can understand

1) QB........Andy Dalton
    RB.........Gio Bernard
    WR........Tyler Boyd

2) QB........Bigzoman
    RB.........Joe Mixon
    WR........AJ Green

Of your 4 scenarios, this is the 2nd worst. 

2) QB........Bigzoman
    RB.........Joe Mixon
    WR........AJ Green
[Image: Cz_eGI3UUAASnqC.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(03-08-2019, 04:29 PM)Captain Obvious Wrote: Exactly. Brown holds no cards in this. He can threaten to not show up for camp, so the other teams wont trade him, but then he'll be stuck being in the locker room with fellow Steelers players that he pissed off and if he doesn't show up, he doesn't get paid and loses all that money. Whatever happened to honoring the contracts you signed? Players feel they don't need to honor them and can throw a fit and get your own way. They will never get any respect throwing a temper tantrum like this.

NFL contracts aren't exactly written with honor in mind for either party...if they were, the notion of "guaranteed money" would be redundant.  
Reply/Quote
Recently rabid Steelers fans are now trying to throw AB and Bell under the bus like the reason they offered over thirty million to them was because they were so replaceable. Conner Is a good back but be real he can't bring to the table what Bell does. AB was nothing short of a beast. The strain these two on opposing defenses won't easily replaced. The Steelers have another challenge they haven't had in recent memory, rebuilding their image to the fans. The "Steeler Way" must be reinvented. This will be a tall order with a long in the tooth QB and a suspect defense. The AFC North is going to be a dog fight like none in recent history.
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2019, 08:17 AM)Catmandude123 Wrote: Recently rabid Steelers fans are now trying to throw AB and Bell under the bus like the reason they offered over thirty million to them was because they were so replaceable. Conner Is a good back but be real he can't bring to the table what Bell does. AB was nothing short of a beast. The strain these two on opposing defenses won't easily replaced. The Steelers have another challenge they haven't had in recent memory, rebuilding their image to the fans. The "Steeler Way" must be reinvented. This will be a tall order with a long in the tooth QB and a suspect defense. The AFC North is going to be a dog fight like none in recent history.

Or the Steelers made a fair market offer to Bell to make him the highest paid running back and he STILL held out. And AB was under contract for another three years.  A contract he agreed to and signed.  Not a rookie contract.

But I understand how Bengals fans would hope that the Steelers would decline so the Bengals would "seem" better.

Smirk
[Image: giphy.gif]
Warning: Reading signatures may hurt your feelings.
Reply/Quote

1) QB........Andy Dalton
    RB.........Gio Bernard
    WR........Tyler Boyd

2) QB........Bigzoman
    RB.........Joe Mixon
    WR........AJ Green

Bigzoman scored four touchdowns in a HS football game.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(03-11-2019, 09:27 AM)GMDino Wrote: Or the Steelers made a fair market offer to Bell to make him the highest paid running back and he STILL held out. And AB was under contract for another three years.  A contract he agreed to and signed.  Not a rookie contract.

But I understand how Bengals fans would hope that the Steelers would decline so the Bengals would "seem" better.

Smirk
The fact remains that the Steelers don't give their players much guaranteed money. That alone is why Bell walked and AB saw an opportunity and jumped ship. GMs across the league better start to take notice and adapt contracts accordingly. While you would like to think your beloved Steelers won't decline with the loss of AB and Bell the AFLN is destined to be a mere shadow of good afc teams for the foreseeable future. 
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2019, 07:56 AM)Catmandude123 Wrote: Steelers held all the cards? Well they lost a top five receiver and have to count 20 million against the cap this year. Oh and lets not forget those two top draft picks they got(3rd, 5th). AB gets an extension with 31mil guaranteed(he had zero in Pitt). The compensation the Raiders are giving AB have been estimated at 50 mil. Tell me again oh Swami how the Steelers held all the cards because it looks like AB got the gold mine an the Steelers got the shaft.

The Steelers could either hold onto a locker room cancer like they with Bell and get nothing, or trade him while they can still get something for him. Getting something for him now is better than forcing him to play here and getting nothing. The Steelers have to pay 21 million in dead cap, but the locker room won't be as intense with the top 2 drama queens gone, it's just Ben left now. Brown will find out how much his stats came from Ben's ability to get him the ball when he plays with the Raiders. I say Brown may have gotten more money, but at the expense of contending and his stats.

(03-10-2019, 09:39 AM)BFritz21 Wrote: Ha!  

You avoid all my prior posts and just resort to insults because you have nothing of any value to post in defense of your organization being dog shit!

Your prior posts were like dog shit stupid, and worth my time replying. When you make a valid point, I'll respond. It's that simple scarecrow.
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2019, 09:48 AM)Catmandude123 Wrote: The fact remains that the Steelers don't give their players much guaranteed money. That alone is why Bell walked and AB saw an opportunity and jumped ship. GMs across the league better start to take notice and adapt contracts accordingly. While you would like to think your beloved Steelers won't decline with the loss of AB and Bell the AFLN is destined to be a mere shadow of good afc teams for the foreseeable future. 

I don't know if they will decline or not.  I've seen 4+ decades of Steelers teams go up and down whether they lost key players or not.

I do know that they have been consistent winners with the occasional blip.

I tried to find teams that guarantee the most money in their contracts (haven't found that yet) but I did find a little break down of team caps that included available cap space.

https://www.profootballweekly.com/2018/09/06/how-nfl-teams-manipulate-the-salary-cap-to-build-super-bowl-caliber-rosters/aonpgfg/

That to me is the better barometer.  How do they move their money around to get help where they need it...and DO they use that money or sit on it.

For example the Bengals had 19.9 in cap room last season.  What did they do to improve with that?

Every year on this board, going back to the original mothership back in 2005, Bengals fans have said "THIS is the year" the Bengals win and the Steelers start to stink forever.  And if they keep saying it sooner or later they may be right.  Smirk
Reply/Quote
Here's a good resource to determine guaranteed money and contract totals.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/rankings/guaranteed/
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2019, 10:01 AM)Captain Obvious Wrote: Your prior posts were like dog shit stupid, and worth my time replying. When you make a valid point, I'll respond. It's that simple scarecrow.

(03-08-2019, 01:11 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: The people on Good Morning Football this morning were pointing out how the Steelers botched another situation and screwed themselves, just like they did with Le'Veon Bell!

They were saying that, instead of letting it go public, they should have just make a few calls to teams and say "Antonio's available to be traded," and they could have gotten a first round pick (Jones-Drew said maybe even TWO), but now they'll be lucky to get a second-round pick and maybe even just have to cut him and let him hit free agency!

The entire Steelers organization is one big shit-show!

Those points, for starters.

That's what this whole thread has been about.
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2019, 11:02 AM)BFritz21 Wrote: Those points, for starters.

That's what this whole thread has been about.

Well the Steelers didn't want it to go public but Brown being the headcase started making it public by not showing up to practices and forcing them to bench him for the final game. They couldn't just let him go because his behavior has gotten worse. He's been a headcase on the field and off. I guarantee he felt snubbed by the players when they picked Juju as team MVP instead of him. His off the field trouble and twitter actions made it hard to trade him privately. 
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2019, 04:55 PM)StrictlyBiz Wrote: Q: What trio gives the Steelers the best chance to reach a Super Bowl

1) QB...Big Ben
    RB....James Connor
    WR.....JuJu Smith

2) QB......Josh Dobbs
    RB.....Le'veon Bell
    WR.....Antonio Brown

A:_______________________________

****If you answer #2 you're just trolling. 

How many legs does Ben have in this scenario?
Reply/Quote