Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Style over Substance
(04-30-2021, 02:43 PM)Beaker Wrote: They have gone out and spent money on decent FAs the last 2 yrs. Thats a big change from the bargain basement FA shopping they used to do.

Beaker your right they have started to utilize free agency more and where has it gotten us the past 2 seasons?  

Not trying to be a dick, just asking ....a 6-25-1 record.  

We needed to address the DL and CB and we did.  Great job.  

I guess that's what happens when you can't draft worth shit.  
I’m rooting for them to go OL in both 2 and 3 (and even 4 maybe?). Leverage the deep class to reload the OL cupboard.

You may not remember but Green Bay did that one draft (OL in 2,3 and 4) and a couple of seasons after that they won the Super Bowl and that triple dip was a contributing factor.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(04-30-2021, 02:45 PM)Beaker Wrote: Because Pitts was the best non QB available, who went at 4, then came Chase. It was only a hot debate because so many posters were convinced that we could only save Burrow by taking the top O line prospect. But Sewell wasnt rated as highly as Chase in general.

Yeah, that was my view too but I'm not sure we could say there was a consensus on that. 
(04-30-2021, 02:45 PM)Beaker Wrote: Because Pitts was the best non QB available, who went at 4, then came Chase. It was only a hot debate because so many posters were convinced that we could only save Burrow by taking the top O line prospect. But Sewell wasnt rated as highly as Chase in general.

Right well OL is arguably the biggest need.

But we went BPA which is fine. as long as we still address the need which im sure we will.

No matter how good Sewell is he can only play 1 spot on the OL at a time (so it wouldnt have instantly fixed our issues there)
I'll wait until the second pick to cast judgement. I was team Sewell but maybe a solid b level prospect will fall to us. The problem is every other team knows we need a lineman. Expect teams with the same need to trade in front of us. Oline is still a question mark.
I was team Sewell, but I'm not upset that we drafted Chase. Burrow and Chase will have instant chemistry, and our WR core will be the best it's been since Chad, Houshmandzadeh, and Henry. We addressed the RT in the FA and hopefully we'll get good guards or a future RT. The sky isn't falling just yet.
The steelers desperately need O line....and took a RB. I would not be shocked at all to see them try to trade ahead of us for O line.
(04-30-2021, 03:24 PM)Beaker Wrote: The steelers desperately need O line....and took a RB. I would not be shocked at all to see them try to trade ahead of us for O line.

that would be pricey even in the 2nd
(04-30-2021, 02:49 PM)Joelist Wrote: I’m rooting for them to go OL in both 2 and 3 (and even 4 maybe?). Leverage the deep class to reload the OL cupboard.

You may not remember but Green Bay did that one draft (OL in 2,3 and 4) and a couple of seasons after that they won the Super Bowl and that triple dip was a contributing factor.

Man, I wish we had more picks lol

I still want to add to the DL too, but yeah, would rather we just go all out on OL the rest of the way. Protect Burrow.

He now has his weapons and we don't know how much better the DL will be with Hendrickson and Ogunjobi and Secondary 
players we brought in. If Lou continues to suck at DC, promote Cioffi and look for a new DC.
(04-30-2021, 03:24 PM)Beaker Wrote: The steelers desperately need O line....and took a RB. I would not be shocked at all to see them try to trade ahead of us for O line.

I hope they don't take Meinerz, a big reason why I would love to pick him in front of them ha ha
I *really* wanted them to take OL with their first two picks, that said, no way is this the worst pick in 10 years. 

"Better send those refunds..."

This is nowhere near the worst pick in the last 10 years. No doubt Chase will be a Pro-Bowl level WR.

Ced
Ross
Price

Those guys never amounted to anything. The pick is done, it's time to move on.

This, however, is the type of pick that is great for the long term, but very well could get Zac and company fired because the line won't be able to hold up their end of the bargain.
(04-30-2021, 03:46 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: This is nowhere near the worst pick in the last 10 years.  No doubt Chase will be a Pro-Bowl level WR.

Ced
Ross
Price

Those guys never amounted to anything.  The pick is done, it's time to move on.  

This, however, is the type of pick that is great for the long term, but very well could get Zac and company fired because the line won't be able to hold up their end of the bargain.

We will see how the rest of the Draft unfolds shall we...
(04-30-2021, 02:49 PM)TJ528 Wrote: Beaker your right they have started to utilize free agency more and where has it gotten us the past 2 seasons?  

Not trying to be a dick, just asking ....a 6-25-1 record.  

We needed to address the DL and CB and we did.  Great job.  

I guess that's what happens when you can't draft worth shit.  

They really didn't go out on a limb this past FA either.
The amount it cost to sign Hendrickson, Awuzie, and Hilton was about the same as what WJ3, Lawson, and Alexander signed for elsewhere.
So they really only signed outside FAs out of necessity from other guys leaving.

They signed Ogunjobi and Reiff to one-year deals, but those deals weren't big. $6.1 mill for Ogunjobi, $7.5 mill for Reiff spread out across two seasons for cap purposes.

The big whiff for me was not being willing to even spend $7.5 mill a year on Zeitler, let alone not being a serious contender for Thuney or Linsley.
They had the cap to sign any of these guys, but they didn't want to spend that much for IOL.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

(04-30-2021, 03:51 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: We will see how the rest of the Draft unfolds shall we...

Sure, but if you are counting on rookies to come in and stabilize the ship, we've seen how that works.  I'm hoping for 2 interior guys, but I don't know how likely they will be to walk in and contribute 
(04-30-2021, 03:53 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: Sure, but if you are counting on rookies to come in and stabilize the ship, we've seen how that works.  I'm hoping for 2 interior guys, but I don't know how likely they will be to walk in and contribute 

Well, just having the competition with Spain and XSF should help and not having to see MJ suit up again...

If we Draft some good interior guys and they can't start over Spain and XSF it should be because they are playing better than the rookies which is just fine with me. Just have to get some guys in here to compete and bring this OL as a whole to another level.
(04-30-2021, 04:03 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Well, just having the competition with Spain and XSF should help and not having to see MJ suit up again...

If we Draft some good interior guys and they can't start over Spain and XSF it should be because they are playing better than the rookies which is just fine with me. Just have to get some guys in here to compete and bring this OL as a whole to another level.

You would hope so..
(04-30-2021, 04:03 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Well, just having the competition with Spain and XSF should help and not having to see MJ suit up again...

Personally, I hope we don't have to rely on rookies this year because rookies lead to rookie mistakes.  One mistake by a rookie right guard or T or whatever and we could see a recreating of what happened to Burrow last season.  
(04-30-2021, 03:11 PM)BayTiger Wrote: I'll wait until the second pick to cast judgement. I was team Sewell but maybe a solid b level prospect will fall to us. The problem is every other team knows we need a lineman. Expect teams with the same need to trade in front of us. Oline is still a question mark.

There's 8-10 viable OLine prospects still availalbe because of how the draft fell, and only 6 picks till 38.  Doesn't matter if every pick before us is OLine (which it won't be), there will still be a great pick for us there.
(04-30-2021, 10:49 AM)Beaker Wrote: Get the sand out of your vagina, we have 6 picks left to get O line help.

Bold words, considering last years complete and utter fiasco !