Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Style over Substance
(04-30-2021, 12:16 PM)Stewy Wrote: Good take from Willie!  Let's support the team and ENJOY the draft process.  I will regardless, but I hope the Team Sewell folks find their happy as well.

Maybe this will help them......

[Image: d33b9793dff3a65f20dbf0864e0138e7.jpg]
I was pissed with the Chase pick but we may get lucky with the amount of Olinemen in the board. Not as mad knowing Burrow was the one pounding the table for Chase. So if he ends up on his ass this season it’s as much on him as management. Besides the more I think about it, we have horrible luck with first round OLinemen. Sewell could end up being another bust who knows. Hopefully they do the right thing and take the best Olinemen in the 2nd instead of waiting any longer. Or maybe try to move up for Jenkins.
(04-30-2021, 10:46 AM)TJ528 Wrote: Your right the Bengals have found more gems at key positions than the Browns have.  However, the Browns don't have near as many 1st round bust in the NFL draft as the Bengals do. 

I feel like this is a false statement as well: Johnny Football, Weeden, Braylon Edwards, Phil Taylor, Danny Shelton, etc.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(04-30-2021, 12:30 PM)WVUHomer Wrote: I feel like this is a false statement as well: Johnny Football, Weeden, Braylon Edwards, Phil Taylor, Danny Shelton, etc.

Not only is a false statement, it’s a CRAZY statement. The Browns are the king’s of the 1st round bust.

(04-30-2021, 12:36 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Not only is a false statement, it’s a CRAZY statement. The Browns are the king’s of the 1st round bust.

I honestly had to look them up because I couldn't remember them all. Crazy high bust rate. Unfortunately they seemed to figure it out after they hired a GM.
(04-30-2021, 12:30 PM)WVUHomer Wrote: I feel like this is a false statement as well: Johnny Football, Weeden, Braylon Edwards, Phil Taylor, Danny Shelton, etc.

100% in agreement, but not on Phil Taylor; he was a very good NT, but had to retire due to medical issues.

As a NT in a 3-4 (for one season, on a horrid defense), he had:

26 tackles, (5 for loss), 2 sacks, 6 QB hits and a PD.

Casey Hampton (whom I still deem to be super-overrated, as he was always surrounded with far-superior talents) averaged:

33 tackles (3 for loss), .75 sacks, 1 QB hit and .33 PDs for his career and he was a 5-time PBer.

Never should've sniffed an accolade, highly-overrated.

If Phil Taylor didn't have career-ending injuries, Shelton wouldn't have been drafted and Taylor would probably still be a stud today.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
(04-30-2021, 09:15 AM)THE Bigzoman Wrote: I hope you Team Chase people are happy.

Oh, how quickly you all forgot. Mark my words. Last night will be considered the worst draft pick from the Bengals in the last 10 years.

Please stop with the complete knee jerk reactions. You are acting like a child that just had a toy taken away from them. Try looking objectively at the selection. They need o line help and they need a #1 WR.

How many consensus #1 Wr talents were there in this draft? I will help you out with this one. A single one and we selected him.

The Bengals brought back Frank Pollack which is huge! They vastly upgraded RT with Riley Reiff. Reiff is only on a one year deal but if successful in the venture they could easily decide mutually to extend the partnership. Every O lineman on the roster that played for Pollack and Turner has far better rankings under Pollack. 

You are also acting as if you have not gotten the memo that there are 6 more rounds to go. The Bengals seem set on Williams and Reiff as bookends so taking an OT is now about beyond this year and there are many that fit the bill very nicely going forward. Eichenberg, Walker Little, James Hudson, Jalen Mayfield, Samuel Cosmi, and Jaylon Moore.

That is not even taking into account the really good OG talent available.
(04-30-2021, 12:36 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Not only is a false statement, it’s a CRAZY statement. The Browns are the king’s of the 1st round bust.

Well if it is false we're not too far behind....Kingler, Warrick, Ki-Jana Carter, Akili Smith, Reinard Wilson, John Copeland, then coming into the modern world Dennard, Ogbuehi, Ross, Price.....so I'd say we have had our fair share of 1st round bust.  
(04-30-2021, 12:46 PM)WVUHomer Wrote: I honestly had to look them up because I couldn't remember them all. Crazy high bust rate. Unfortunately they seemed to figure it out after they hired a GM.

Come on! That homeless guy on the freeway exit ramp was given 1 single chance.  Totally unfair, he needed at least 3 draft classes to shape the roster and be judged.

Fueled by satanism, violence, and sodomy, dinosaurs had little chance to survive as a species.

(04-30-2021, 01:15 PM)Burma Wrote: Come on! That homeless guy on the freeway exit ramp was given 1 single chance.  Totally unfair, he needed at lesat 3 draft classes to shape the roster and be judged.

I don't think 3 would be enough with it being the Brownies. At least a decade was needed to determine the effectiveness.
https://www.yahoo.com/sports/detroit-lions-grade-oregon-ol-012347900.html
(04-30-2021, 10:31 AM)TJ528 Wrote: Well the Bengals are like the Lions with their love for the QB's and WR in the draft because they sell jersey, which nets them $$$$. 

It's always about the mighty dollar when it comes to this team. 

Of their last 10 first round picks just 2 of them have been WR compared to 4 O-line

Do CBs sell a lot of jerseys as well?
(04-30-2021, 09:15 AM)THE Bigzoman Wrote: I hope you Team Chase people are happy.

Oh, how quickly you all forgot. Mark my words. Last night will be considered the worst draft pick from the Bengals in the last 10 years.

I was team Pitts myself if I had to pick a team. Loved Sewell after and then Chase.

None would of been bad picks, I bet you will eat crow on this one BigZ. Chase is built for the AFC North. 

He is just what we needed in this stacked OL class.

The anti-Chase crowd needs a good cry. Cry

Reminds me of Draft Day when Sonny made the Vontae Mack pick at 1 lol
(04-30-2021, 10:59 AM)TJ528 Wrote: I agree things are changing.  However, a leopard doesn't change it's spots.  

The Bengals have improved social media and fan outreach because the younger generation knows they can make more profits doing so. 

Mike Brown has 0 idea how to win in the NFL.  Mike Browns record as GM is 98-186-1.  That right there should tell you all you need to know about the last 30 years of football in Cincinnati.  Yet people wonder why some fans are still skeptical it's a ploy of some kind. 

I see changes taking place.  Now they need to invest in their front office and scouting staff.  Once they do that I'll recognize there's a "New Dey" in Cincinnati. 

Tigers have stripes not spots and these Bengals do have new stripes.

(04-30-2021, 12:25 PM)TKUHL Wrote: I was pissed with the Chase pick but we may get lucky with the amount of Olinemen in the board. Not as mad knowing Burrow was the one pounding the table for Chase. So if he ends up on his ass this season it’s as much on him as management. Besides the more I think about it, we have horrible luck with first round OLinemen. Sewell could end up being another bust who knows. Hopefully they do the right thing and take the best Olinemen in the 2nd instead of waiting any longer. Or maybe try to move up for Jenkins.

It's not remotely luck. They've just judged the available talent better than you have.
The Bengals have always had some pretty good picks in rounds 2-4. But I believe that is a function of us being bad at talent evaluation. You have to exclude the last 2 yrs because Chase and Burrow were consensus best players that we couldnt screw up by taking. But before that the Bengals have been pretty bad at first round picks.

My hypothesis as to why we do well in the middle rounds is because players that are earlier round talents always fall. The bBengals are bad at talent evaluation, but good at recognizing value. So when players with first round grades fall into the second and so forth, the Bengals are good at snapping them up of they are there when we pick.
(04-30-2021, 02:33 PM)TJHoushmandzadeh Wrote: Tigers have stripes not spots and these Bengals do have new stripes.

It's not remotely luck. They've just judged the available talent better than you have.

TJ come on really?  the more things change they stay the same.  

What's different about the front office? I mean from what I understand Elizabeth isnt doing the scouting and development of players for the team.

I mean she's doing an amazing job with new uni's, and the Ring of Honor, but where it really counts over the past 2 years they're 6-25-1.  

So realistically as I said the more things change they stay the same. 
Don’t be so discouraged.This is the deepest O-line class I have ever witnessed in a draft.Loads of talent.That’s exactly why the Bengals selected a WR with pick 5.There are no Elite WR after round 1.And they got the best WR in the draft,and can still get a starter material O-lineman.Maybe two,That is if they go OL in round 3 as well.
(04-30-2021, 02:40 PM)Beaker Wrote: The Bengals have always had some pretty good picks in rounds 2-4. But I believe that is a function of us being bad at talent evaluation. You have to exclude the last 2 yrs because Chase and Burrow were consensus best players that we couldnt screw up by taking. But before that the Bengals have been pretty bad at first round picks.

My hypothesis as to why we do well in the middle rounds is because players that are earlier round talents always fall. The bBengals are bad at talent evaluation, but good at recognizing value. So when players with first round grades fall into the second and so forth, the Bengals are good at snapping them up of they are there when we pick.

How can you say Chase was the consensus best player available when Team Chase v Team Sewell was such a hotly disputed thing? 
(04-30-2021, 02:41 PM)TJ528 Wrote: TJ come on really?  the more things change they stay the same.  

What's different about the front office? I mean from what I understand Elizabeth isnt doing the scouting and development of players for the team.

I mean she's doing an amazing job with new uni's, and the Ring of Honor, but where it really counts over the past 2 years they're 6-25-1.  

So realistically as I said the more things change they stay the same. 

They have gone out and spent money on decent FAs the last 2 yrs. Thats a big change from the bargain basement FA shopping they used to do.
(04-30-2021, 02:43 PM)TJHoushmandzadeh Wrote: How can you say Chase was the consensus best player available when Team Chase v Team Sewell was such a hotly disputed thing? 

Because Pitts was the best non QB available, who went at 4, then came Chase. It was only a hot debate because so many posters were convinced that we could only save Burrow by taking the top O line prospect. But Sewell wasnt rated as highly as Chase in general.