Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 2.83 Average
Super Bowl LVI Halftime Show Stinks
(02-08-2022, 06:39 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Nope and its a travesty. They would be ideal in my opinion. Everyone likes Metallica or at least most everyone that has taste.

Even my Mom and Dad like Metallica. David Gilmour would also be a great Halftime show. Dave Matthews Band would be good.

I just can't stand the mainstream bands. They will probably have Adele next year or Ed Sheeran. Ugh. Sick

Sheeran would be a terrible halftime show.  Way too calm.  I enjoy some Dave Matthews, but they'd only get a half song in during the set time  Smirk

I could see Metallica before they get too much older (or waiting another 10 years and it be a final hurrah kinda thing).  They played the Salesforce conference concert a few years ago, so they're no strangers to odd gigs and everyone knows at least one of their songs.  

I could see the Foo Fighters getting the call before long.  I could also see them going with some 90s/00s punk pop since that nostalgia is hitting a large demo right now (Blink, Green Day, Fall Out Boy, All American Rejects, Jimmy Eat World, etc - lots of options in that genre).  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-08-2022, 06:56 PM)MileHighGrowler Wrote: Sheeran would be a terrible halftime show.  Way too calm.  I enjoy some Dave Matthews, but they'd only get a half song in during the set time  Smirk

I could see Metallica before they get too much older (or waiting another 10 years and it be a final hurrah kinda thing).  They played the Salesforce conference concert a few years ago, so they're no strangers to odd gigs and everyone knows at least one of their songs.  

I could see the Foo Fighters getting the call before long.  I could also see them going with some 90s/00s punk pop since that nostalgia is hitting a large demo right now (Blink, Green Day, Fall Out Boy, All American Rejects, Jimmy Eat World, etc - lots of options in that genre).  

The Foo would be a good choice I would like that. I think Green Day has already played the SB? Not a fan of those other bands.

Pearl Jam would be a good choice IMO. Too bad Chris Cornell isn't around anymore RIP.  Puddle of Mudd if the lead singer isn't in 
jail lol, Tool, Perfect Circle, Breaking Benjamin, would like something a little harder than the Ed Sheeran types that is for sure.
Reply/Quote
The half time show has never really been geared to the larger demographic that watches football regularly.

It's geared to the demographic that watches the Superbowl only.

Im okay with that. It's never really bothered me much.

I typically don't really watch it anyways and don't have much of an interest in the commercials either. I don't go out of my way to avoid them, Im just not that interested.

What I also don't do is let it bother me to the point that it gets under my skin and complain to anyone that will listen. Because honestly no one cares. People like what they like and want to talk about those things. I just ignore it and watch my game.

Not really sure I want to hear Snoop and Dre revisit raps from when I was in high school. I wasn't a super fan then and I'm not now. But ehh whatever; I can change the channel, go get some more chili or take a dump while it's on. Hell, I might even watch some of it because it's there and I got nothing else to do at that moment.
Reply/Quote
(02-06-2022, 09:35 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I don't have to like that garbage any more than my kids have to like Operation Ivy.

There was a bit of an Op Ivy reunion on Saturday. Jesse Michaels came on stage with Tim Armstrong for a couple songs. There's video of them doing ‘Sound System’ together. First time in 30 years!
LFG  

[Image: oyb7yuz66nd81.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(02-07-2022, 05:25 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Son: 
[Image: main-qimg-2d774e2169da915dad42d88852a20479-lq]

You: 
[Image: 1025558421_JeffDabe-Dec2020.thumb.jpg.0a...1061a4.jpg]

Hahahahahha .. This is pretty spot on...
Reply/Quote
(02-08-2022, 07:04 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: The Foo would be a good choice I would like that. I think Green Day has already played the SB? Not a fan of those other bands.

Pearl Jam would be a good choice IMO. Too bad Chris Cornell isn't around anymore RIP.  Puddle of Mudd if the lead singer isn't in 
jail lol, Tool, Perfect Circle, Breaking Benjamin, would like something a little harder than the Ed Sheeran types that is for sure.

I know the guys in Breaking Benjamin personally. My buddy went to college with them and I party with Ben a few times. They played all the local towns before they big.. Been hammered with Ben a few times. SLAPPED Dollar bills on strippers asses in the shower stage with him. Good times.. They are from Wilkes-Barre PA about 20 minutes from me.. Ben signed my son's guitar and I brought him to meet him a few times. He had the hottest set of twins living with him lol.... 2 of the original members were in a band strangers with candy (now known as Lifer) with another good friend of mine...
Reply/Quote
(02-06-2022, 06:32 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Journey are one of the worst musical acts in Rock, their frontman is a loser and they are also a two-hit wonder.

Damn man.  Hate much?  LOL

Are you talking #1 songs?

They have had nineteen Top 40 singles in the U.S. (the second most without a Billboard Hot 100 number one single behind Electric Light Orchestra with 20), six of which reached the Top 10 of the US chart and two of which reached No. 1 on other Billboard charts, and a No. 6 hit on the UK Singles Chart in "Don't Stop Believin ' ".

You might hate their sound or singer but to call them the one of the worst musical acts in Rock? WTF
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(02-08-2022, 09:45 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: has metallica ever done the half time show?

I mean they have held a concert in Antarctica... They should get at least 1 Superbowl show....     They have enough songs without Explicit Lyrics if thats a requirement. 

Metallica is pretty worn out musically to me, but admittedly they still have a draw.

The thing in my opinion that would make it an over-the-top halftime show would be to have Dave Mustaine join them.

Anyone outside of hard rock/metal enthusiasts couldn't care less about that though.

I also think a metal all-star show would be badass.

Hey if you're going to get old ass rockers out there you might as well get some that can actually still rock.
Reply/Quote
(02-08-2022, 09:01 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: Damn man.  Hate much?  LOL

They have had nineteen Top 40 singles in the U.S. (the second most without a Billboard Hot 100 number one single behind Electric Light Orchestra with 20), six of which reached the Top 10 of the US chart and two of which reached No. 1 on other Billboard charts, and a No. 6 hit on the UK Singles Chart in "Don't Stop Believin ' ".

You might hate their sound or singer but to call them the one of the worst musical acts in Rock? WTF

The Who has never had a #1. The Trogs have a #1.

Basing musical acts on charts is ridiculous; any true, blue musician would acknowledge this.

Journey has: "Anyway You Want It," "Open Arms," and "Don't Stop Believin'," (which is one of the most-overrated songs in music history, let alone rock), that are known outside the US.

They are a formulaic, late 70s, early 80s rock act, in the same vein as Foreigner, Bad Company, Cheap Trick, Styx, etc. Those are all POPULAR acts, but popularity (ie: charts) doesn't mean good. If we're going off of Charts = talent, then that means that Rush isn't a band with merit, even though they can write and perform circles around any of the bands mentioned above.

I mean,, "My Sharona," was #1 for 6 weeks in 1979 FFS and it's a song largely devoid of any decent writing or talented playing. Or the Cantina song from Star Wars was #1 for 2 weeks in 1977 (I honestly couldn't believe that when I read it. Absolute joke). Charts are an absolute sham/joke/bunch of BS, etc.

And I LOVE Cheap Trick; "Reach Out ," is easily one of my 3 favourite soundtrack songs from film ever and as much as it is played to death, "I Want You to Want Me," is indeed a classic song, even if it too is nothing special from a writing and performance POV.

Have to be objective when it comes to music; Limp Bizkit is my second-favourite band ever and outside of Jon Otto and Sam Rivers (and even then, they still aren't up to a high level), nobody currently or in the band's past can ever conceptually or physically, perform or write at the levels of a Who, Rush, Hendrix, Cream, etc.

Edit*** and no, I don't, "hate," anything. I do my best to be objective (look at my other posts ITT if you need proof). Music is so subjective and taste-oriented, but there still is an objectivity in terms of chops and skill. You can have a popular sound and still be a terrible musician. You can sell records and have a huge fanbase if you get popular with enough people.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-08-2022, 09:56 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: The Who has never had a #1. The Trogs have a #1.

Basing musical acts on charts is ridiculous; any true, blue musician would acknowledge this.

Journey has: "Anyway You Want It," "Open Arms," and "Don't Stop Believin'," (which is one of the most-overrated songs in music history, let alone rock), that are known outside the US.

They are a formulaic, late 70s, early 80s rock act, in the same vein as Foreigner, Bad Company, Cheap Trick, Styx, etc. Those are all POPULAR acts, but popularity (ie: charts) doesn't mean good. If we're going off of Charts = talent, then that means that Rush isn't a band with merit, even though they can write and perform circles around any of the bands mentioned above.

I mean,, "My Sharona," was #1 for 6 weeks in 1979 FFS and it's a song largely devoid of any decent writing or talented playing. Or the Cantina song from Star Wars was #1 for 2 weeks in 1977 (I honestly couldn't believe that when I read it. Absolute joke). Charts are an absolute sham/joke/bunch of BS, etc.

And I LOVE Cheap Trick; "Reach Out ," is easily one of my 3 favourite soundtrack songs from film ever and as much as it is played to death, "I Want You to Want Me," is indeed a classic song, even if it too is nothing special from a writing and performance POV.

Have to be objective when it comes to music; Limp Bizkit is my second-favourite band ever and outside of Jon Otto and Sam Rivers (and even then, they still aren't up to a high level), nobody currently or in the band's past can ever conceptually or physically, perform or write at the levels of a Who, Rush, Hendrix, Cream, etc.

Edit*** and no, I don't, "hate," anything. I do my best to be objective (look at my other posts ITT if you need proof). Music is so subjective and taste-oriented, but there still is an objectivity in terms of chops and skill. You can have a popular sound and still be a terrible musician. You can sell records and have a huge fanbase if you get popular with enough people.

I'm not arguing.

Especially about popularity, awards, whatever to validate the importance of music.

All I'm saying is that they have more than two hits.

Nothing more.  Nothing less.

They are musically talented too though.

It's not my fault you don't recognize it, even if you don't like their music.

Neal Schon was a guitar prodigy at age 15 and was much sought out.  Joining Santana at 17.

I know people are all jaded with Youtube and the immense amount of teaching tools that gets very young kids playing like virtuosos but in that day and age it wasn't the case.

What Schon did was special.  
Reply/Quote
(02-08-2022, 08:57 PM)Tony Wrote: I know the guys in Breaking Benjamin personally. My buddy went to college with them and I party with Ben a few times. They played all the local towns before they big.. Been hammered with Ben a few times. SLAPPED Dollar bills on strippers asses in the shower stage with him. Good times.. They are from Wilkes-Barre PA about 20 minutes from me.. Ben signed my son's guitar and I brought him to meet him a few times. He had the hottest set of twins living with him lol.... 2 of the original members were in a band strangers with candy (now known as Lifer) with another good friend of mine...

Rock On

Awesome Tony, absolutely love Breaking Benjamin. One of my fave bands as far as Alt Metal goes. Ben Burnsley is a talent, great 
singer and plays some good, crunchy guitar with great lyrics. Pretty amazing how he has went through so many different musicians 
in his band and still kicks ass. Just shows how great he is. Would be a blast getting drunk with Ben. Seems like a real cool dude.

I have used Ben's singing in my own. Means a lot to know this. 

Love the song he does with Scooter Ward the old singer from Cold, great vid. Cool
Reply/Quote
(02-08-2022, 10:28 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Rock On

Awesome Tony, absolutely love Breaking Benjamin. One of my fave bands as far as Alt Metal goes. Ben Burnsley is a talent, great 
singer and plays some good, crunchy guitar with great lyrics. Pretty amazing how he has went through so many different musicians 
in his band and still kicks ass. Just shows how great he is. Would be a blast getting drunk with Ben. Seems like a real cool dude.

Love the song he does with Scooter Ward the old singer from Cold, great vid. Cool

He's just like any other guy lol. Huge gamer too... I couldn't believe how big they got. They were a cover band when I met him..
Reply/Quote

My good friend  the one I met Ben from is in cold. Nick Coyle. He's the rhythm guitar backup singer... Their last album is amazing. Check-out " Quiet now" by them....
Reply/Quote
(02-08-2022, 09:01 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: Damn man.  Hate much?  LOL

No doubt, love Truck but Journey is a great classic rock and roll band. Neil Schan (spelling) is a fantastic guitarist and they 
have like 20 + great songs. Nothing to sniff at, maybe some might not like their style but they are great in most people's 
eyes. Boston is another great classic R&R band.
Reply/Quote
(02-08-2022, 10:33 PM)Tony Wrote: My good friend  the one I met Ben from is in cold. Nick Coyle. He's the rhythm guitar backup singer... Their last album is amazing. Check-out " Quiet now" by them....

Thanks man, I thought Cold was done. This makes my day and it is Superbowl week! Rock On
Reply/Quote

I saw Cold open for Sevendust years ago.

I liked Cold at the time, but man that guy was not a showman at all.

He spent most of the show huddled on the side of the stage.

Sevendust kicked some ass though.  That was the high-point of their career.
Reply/Quote
(02-08-2022, 10:30 PM)Tony Wrote: He's just like any other guy lol. Huge gamer too... I couldn't believe how big they got. They were a cover band when I met him..

They deserve to be big with how good Ben is. Guy is a GREAT singer. Must of been sweet watching them live and seeing how 
big they became. I have watched a lot of BB on youtube live and they still kick ass unlike a lot of bands like Theory of a Deadman
who are pretty much just a studio band. For example I heard Adelitas Way is a much better live band than TOADM.
Reply/Quote
(02-08-2022, 10:37 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: I saw Cold open for Sevendust years ago.

I liked Cold at the time, but man that guy was not a showman at all.

He spent most of the show huddled on the side of the stage.

Sevendust kicked some ass though.  That was the high-point of their career.

Scooter got too much into the drugs similar to Layne Staley of Alice in Chains. Became pickled.

Sevendust is another great band, love their stuff, hope they put out some new songs.
Reply/Quote
(02-08-2022, 10:38 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: They deserve to be big with how good Ben is. Guy is a GREAT singer. Must of been sweet watching them live and seeing how 
big they became. I have watched a lot of BB on youtube live and they still kick ass unlike a lot of bands like Theory of a Deadman
who are pretty much just a studio band. For example I heard Adelitas Way is a much better live band than TOADM.

Ya, they were doing covers of tool, rage against the machine..
 They use to be a lot heavier...
He got pissed because the other band members were selling un released shit. Thats why he canned them..
Reply/Quote
(02-08-2022, 10:34 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: No doubt, love Truck but Journey is a great classic rock and roll band. Neil Schan (spelling) is a fantastic guitarist and they 
have like 20 + great songs. Nothing to sniff at, maybe some might not like their style but they are great in most people's 
eyes. Boston is another great classic R&R band.

I have no problem of people being opinionated and disliking music and songs.

It's when they crap all over the talent level of a band that I have to say something.

There are plenty of musically talented bands that I can't stand.

I just don't listen and leave it be.  
Reply/Quote