Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 2.33 Average
Synric's 10,000th post. #FreeFredToast
(01-23-2023, 03:39 PM)PDub80 Wrote: Fred's been given many shots.... and blown them all. This ain't his 8mile.

He is who he is. F that guy. He's a a troll and antagonist. You guys are mistaking any activity on the board for good activity. I know 4 former regular posters on this and the former board who refuse to participate in this one explicitly due to Fred being a member. He's a clown shoe and deserves to have been removed. Not the first Bengals board Fred's been booted from, either.

No question he was given several.minor bans and warnings. Go read "The scorpion and the frog". You cannot change someone's nature. His nature is to feed off of negative energy toward himself by saying dumb things and provoking people. Why invite that trash behavior back?

[Image: R.382402b8d86d43d8d421c7291adffb94?rik=r...ImgRaw&r=0]
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(01-23-2023, 04:57 PM)The Gooney Rule Wrote: I rarely post, but have been reading and enjoying the regular content here for years, for which I thank you all.

I can't get support losing Fred's take for good on here. Opposing views, challenges, devil's advocate and nuance are what makes for robust debate, broader consideration and fuller substance.

Can't get behind any sort of permanent ban for someone who contributed as much as he did. I know I appreciated the time it took for him to research stats and frame them in an interesting perspective while starting a lot of new threads or engaging in others, which is pretty much the point of a message board.

To hear it told, there's an ignore feature if anyone feels threatened by an a contrary voice and dissenting opinion if someone wants to create their own personal shadow ban.

In a world where there's a growing trend to remove the opposition from a platform, do we really need to extend that to a football message board for people who are, by definition, fanatics?

Would like to think it's possible to consider something you don't agree with and either raise your level of debate, patience, and/or understanding or let it go and move on before silencing someone else permanently.

Not for nothing, and I don't know if it's a similar situation as a ban, but the amount of abuse some other regular poster took (can't think of his name but feel he had a crackhead dave chappelle in his profile pic) was pretty bad, often for having what I considered a nuanced and interesting minority take on threads. Don't know where he's gone, but I'm sure the regular welcome here wasn't that warm, and if the board keeps losing those different voices, it'll be a boring race to the mediocre in a muted echo chamber.

It's been surreal to be living in this world where our Bengals are suddenly relevant and it's somehow become almost expected in a way. (Trying to still live in the moment and not take it for granted.) Everyone on here is like an extended and cherished part of this football family and it takes all stripes. Should be a place and time for us all to shine on this wild ride. 

You don't understand.

It's always easier to have moderation cater to one's pathethic sensibilities and remove someone from a platform entirely than it is to utilize the feature that you, me, and MANY others have pointed out. 

Get with the times.
(01-23-2023, 05:11 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: I suppose... if you like half the stats that is. 
My only problem was once proven wrong, he would double-down on it or move the goal posts or make 1+1=3

No one's perfect, if you make a mistake, own it and move on. 

Almost everyone gets defensive when being proven wrong, at least initially anyway. 

You're disliking Fred for something that most people, if not everyone are guilty of doing. 
(01-23-2023, 03:39 PM)PDub80 Wrote: Fred's been given many shots.... and blown them all. This ain't his 8mile.

He is who he is. F that guy. He's a a troll and antagonist. You guys are mistaking any activity on the board for good activity. I know 4 former regular posters on this and the former board who refuse to participate in this one explicitly due to Fred being a member. He's a clown shoe and deserves to have been removed. Not the first Bengals board Fred's been booted from, either.

No question he was given several.minor bans and warnings. Go read "The scorpion and the frog". You cannot change someone's nature. His nature is to feed off of negative energy toward himself by saying dumb things and provoking people. Why invite that trash behavior back?

And nothing of value was lost.

But seriously, if you're unable to engage in discussion/debate on a platform dedicated to exactly that, then you probably have no business being here.
I'd like to point out to those who are saying "Just use the ignore feature", that the ignore feature here is pure trash (Sorry Holic, It's true).

If I ignore someone, I don't want to see ANYTHING they do.

If someone quotes someone else on my ignore list, I see what they posted.

If someone on my ignore list makes a new thread, I get a notifications.

I want an ignore function that treats people on my ignore list like they don't exist......, but alas.....
(01-23-2023, 05:29 PM)NotBigzo Wrote: Almost everyone gets defensive when being proven wrong, at least initially anyway. 

You're disliking Fred for something that most people, if not everyone are guilty of doing. 

I wouldn't know firsthand. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

It's been revealed that Fred Toast is actually George Santos.
(01-23-2023, 01:14 PM)Graphicguy Wrote: How about "unbanned" but on a very, very short leash?  

It would be helpful if there was some sort of way mods could throttle how much people post in a day. I have no idea if there is a tool for them like that (probably not) but yeah if you could setup a limit to his number of posts, say 5 posts a day with a max of 1000 characters in each post, it might go a long way to improving his relationship with his fellow users. A little bit of Fred is better than no Fred. The problem we are having is too much Fred. Post after post arguing the minutae of an issue might feel natural to him (he's a lawyer right?) but it can be off putting to other users who want a more casual level of discussion where it is alright to be wrong. 

In any case, I support him coming back (do we know if the ban is supposed to be permanent) but I'd tell him to find a way to set that limit for himself, even if the mods probably can't impose it automatically. I'd tell him to keep himself honest by numbering and dating the post somewhere in the body (would not count against the 1000 word limit). 

I say free him 3 days after the Super Bowl....then ban him again right before the next season.

A little offseason entertainment. But we can't be messing with our mojo right now
(01-23-2023, 05:11 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: I suppose... if you like half the stats that is. 
My only problem was once proven wrong, he would double-down on it or move the goal posts or make 1+1=3

No one's perfect, if you make a mistake, own it and move on. 

This. Right. Here. Or when he knew he was wrong, and people kinda ganged up on him by agreeing with his adversary, he would just abandon the thread. THAT was my only beef. 

"Better send those refunds..."

I was wondering why Fred hadn't been posting. Why did he get banned? I enjoyed some of his takes. I say give him another shot.
(01-23-2023, 11:29 AM)TecmoBengals Wrote: Under the "Members" list at the top of your screen you'll see him as the first poster since he's made the most posts here. It shows him as "banned" stemming from something he did to not follow the forum rules. I do not know the specific details nor do I consider it my business.

Ahh well hell.. It's FredToast that's what he does. #FreeFredToast
Freedom of speech is meaningless unless it protects disagreeable speech.
Even if the ignore feature doesn’t work 100%, i can still skip over posts that I don’t want to read.
if it’s merely Freds borderline trolling antics, I think a ban is too severe. If he said something over the top offensive, and this is the sole basis for the ban, I will trust the mods discretion. I really like this board and don’t want it to descend into the toxic site that is ChiefsPlanet.
All this being said, Fred added character to the board, even if he could be maddening at times.

PS
Once I was able to trap him into contradicting himself in two separate threads, he stopped being an irritant to me.
Go Benton Panthers!!
(01-23-2023, 08:04 PM)SladeX Wrote: Freedom of speech is meaningless unless it protects disagreeable speech.
Even if the ignore feature doesn’t work 100%, i can still skip over posts that I don’t want to read.
if it’s merely Freds borderline trolling antics, I think a ban is too severe. If he said something over the top offensive, and this is the sole basis for the ban, I will trust the mods discretion. I really like this board and don’t want it to descend into the toxic site that is ChiefsPlanet.
All this being said, Fred added character to the board, even if he could be maddening at times.

PS
Once I was able to trap him into contradicting himself in two separate threads, he stopped being an irritant to me.

From what I've read.....it was more disturbing than offensive....but was offensive also, if that makes any sense. 

"Better send those refunds..."

(01-23-2023, 02:33 PM)Tomkat Wrote: Yea, I'm gonna have to jump on this bandwagon.
I say keep him out until the Bengals lose, or...
IF the Bengals win the Super Bowl., THEN let Fred come back and celebrate with us.

Until then... the superstitious part of me says keep him out!  :)
WHEN we win the Super Bowl, it will prove that he was the jinx!

We don't need that drama here!

Some people say he was just playing Devil's Advocate but he was intentionally starting drama.

He'd post lies to bash me and other people and, even if called out and proven to be a liar, he'd post a link that he claimed proved that he wasn't a liar when the link took you to a post that proved that he was lying.

I don't want to have to constantly deal with his lies and drama again.

EXACTLY.

His lies and trolling make the board less fun. Even if some people like him, is that enough to sacrifice how other people enjoy the board?

And his behavior has been enough to get him BANNED (and suspended) multiple times, which I thought banned meant that he was gone for good, but somehow he has come back.
(01-23-2023, 04:53 PM)ezekiel23 Wrote: #freefredtoast.Fred is just being Fred. He’s cut me,as he has at one time or another,everyone on this board.Others do the same sometimes.If you can’t handle sarcasm,don’t get involved.

Don’t be so sensitive.This Bengals board is the best.Let Fred enjoy the ride.
No one goes after people or lies as much as Fred.

For example, I take pride in how no one treats me like a charity case and how people like me because I have never played the victim.

Once, I called him out on his bullshit and he doubled down and said that "no one stands up to me and no one ever disagrees with me because of my situation and that they feel sorry for me."

I called him out on it and pointed out how he was just avoiding admitting he was wrong and he just stopped responding. You can't be serious with people like that.
(01-23-2023, 05:12 PM)bfine32 Wrote: [Image: R.382402b8d86d43d8d421c7291adffb94?rik=r...ImgRaw&r=0]
When I first saw this thread with no responses, I was scared to be honest because I thought a lot of people would take his side but glad to see a lot of people are being honest!

Hilarious
(01-23-2023, 08:04 PM)SladeX Wrote: Freedom of speech is meaningless unless it protects disagreeable speech.

PS

I have trapped him multiple times and I agree about disagreeable speech but Fred has crossed the line and is just combative and a liar.
What did Fred do that was so bad to get himself permanently bannned?
Something about a KKK photo. I didn't see it.
(01-23-2023, 05:31 PM)NotBigzo Wrote: And nothing of value was lost.

But seriously, if you're unable to engage in discussion/debate on a platform dedicated to exactly that, then you probably have no business being here.

Nothing of value was lost? Well, that's just, like.... your opinion, man.

- I think people are 100% all about engaging in discussion & debate on here. Unfortunately, even after being give many many many chances to do just that, the person in question AGAIN failed to do so. Trolling people and providing nonsensical, contrarian ideas just for the sake of doing so doesn't = discussion/debate. 

How many threads did Fred's posts just derail because he had an axe to grind or wanted to twist things or straw man posts just so he could feel right? Answer: MOST.
I'm not personally a fan... his persona gets old quickely. Reminds me of an 80 year old man who's seen it all and you can't change his mind or have a worth while discussion as they are set in their ways.

As someone who trolled on video games as a kid I can't in good conscience say he should be banned for life but I am of the belief he should be kept off the board until after the playoffs are over.
[Image: 1500x500]
(01-23-2023, 01:13 AM)Bengalholic Wrote: Congrats on 10,000!

As for the other, all I will say is there are situations where our are hands are forced no matter how many times, or how many years, we try to avoid it. It's unfortunate, but unavoidable at a certain point.
Let'em all loose, Boss.
I'll come back and help.
*awaits explosion of Lucie posts*

Sent from my SM-S515DL using Tapatalk