Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tampa Bay Game thoughts
(08-25-2015, 01:06 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: I'm alone in this, but I think we have been playing soft for a reason. This team is scared to get injured.. which is fine.. I'll hold judgement until the real games...

I wouldn't put it past Marvin to tell the guys just not to get hurt over making a play. The defense certainly looked like it was playing careful and not trying to make dangerous tackles.

Offense doesn't have an excuse, but TB has a top5 defensive line. McCoy was embarrassed last week and had something to prove. I think we are reading wayyyy too far into this.

A person in a winning culture doesn't aim for medicore on any level.  

[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2015, 01:06 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: I'm alone in this, but I think we have been playing soft for a reason. This team is scared to get injured.. which is fine.. I'll hold judgement until the real games...

I wouldn't put it past Marvin to tell the guys just not to get hurt over making a play. The defense certainly looked like it was playing careful and not trying to make dangerous tackles.

Offense doesn't have an excuse, but TB has a top5 defensive line. McCoy was embarrassed last week and had something to prove. I think we are reading wayyyy too far into this.

I think they are playing not to get injured. They were burned by an injury early last year and were kind of ruined by injuries for the rest of the year.

But they didn't even look like they were interested in playing.

There were several players that didn't make a single positive play all game. I know you don't want to show your hand in the pre-season, but don't send your fan base into depression over it.
Reply/Quote
1.  I really Miss Zimmer.

2.  I'm starting to miss Gruden.

3.  LB's still can't cover.

4.  Andy's not going to take us anywhere.

5.  O-line better get it together.
Reply/Quote
Thumbs Down 
(08-25-2015, 12:39 AM)Frank Pembleton Wrote: By the way, did you guys see Peko on the bench during the 4th quarter? All of the team had straight faces except for Peko. He was smiling and giggling. That's the exact attitude that Marvin loves. Peko and Lewis are a match made in heaven. Positive AND mediocre? Well I'll be
No I didn't see that. I guess that's what Marvy calls leadership. Obviously Marvy doesn't have it either. However, I did see Peko whiff of a tackle that went for a lot of yards setting up the Tampa's first TD. He probably missed other tackles, but by that time, I had switched channels. :angry:
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2015, 01:58 PM)-CR- Wrote: 1.  I really Miss Zimmer.

2.  I'm starting to miss Gruden.

3.  LB's still can't cover.

4.  Andy's not going to take us anywhere.

5.  O-line better get it together.

I don't know how much the lack of play calling last night was Hue and how much was just not wanting to give away too much in a preseason game. But. If Hue was trying, it's going to be a rough year.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2015, 09:40 AM)xavierdude Wrote: I think the Bengals are a good team..not a very good team  But you all are talking nonsense..what you saw last night ws meaningless and had no bearing on anything except evaluating sme players  that may or may not make this team

So you're saying...  there's a chance some starters will get cut? ThumbsUp

Try telling your starting QB who is trying desperately to be perceived as the "leader" of the offense...

"Meh dude I know this is nationally televised and all but hey it's just Pre-season.  Ohhhfff rough night brother.  Here... lemme just scrape you up off of the turf.  Whoops!  Got a little bit of you on my shoe.  Tee hee just wait till one of the boys tries to throw water on you during your "I'm going to take the wheel" interview.  Man that's going to be good.  Hold on I think that toothless honey is gonna show me her ta tas. BRB."
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2015, 12:21 AM)bfine32 Wrote: Jeremy Hill’s ball security could be an issue

Eifert worries me; Kroft does not

Little makes the team

Hunt showed something

PJ Dawson will be a starter soon

Peko is done

Shaw is a gamer

What are yours?
  • AJ Green needs to tighten his focus.   He has too many inexcusable drops
  • OL was scary bad.  Hard to know the origin of the problem and whether or not the global problem was caused by one or two (Bodine and/or Winston)
  • DL was scary bad (except for Dunlap - and at times Geno).   Paulie criticized for going vanilla with 4 down linemen and no blitzes, but I think he wanted to know what he has.  Our D has been predicated on getting pressure with just 4 and an occasional blitz - allows us more coverage.
  • Linebackers could not cover
  • Overall coverage seemed (I didn't see the whole game - but listened to what I did not watch) poor in part because we were in a zone most of the game - and did not execute it well.
  • Dawson and Carter looked very good - but I don't expect Dawson to start any time soon or Carter to make the team.  We'll go with what we know to our hurt (read Peko and Lamur)
  • Little and Kumerow both better than Tate, and Kumerow looked the best of the 3 last night - but again we won't know exactly what we have because he went up against 3rd stringers.  He'll get plucked from the practice squad.
  • Eifert looks fragile.  I was pleased with Kroft
  • Wilder looked good running the ball and on special teams.  If the decision is today I take him over Peerman
  • Hunt needs to play against starters - but he looked better than Clark

Reply/Quote
(08-25-2015, 01:31 AM)Nately120 Wrote: I think that is more indicative of Marvin's lack of accountability or a grip on things when they are getting thoroughly embarrassed but still yucking it up on the sidelines.  Then again, Marvin got embarrassed in prime-time by the Steelers last year and was immediately cracking jokes about Johnny Fartball being a midget.

So we are a franchise that doesn't mind having fun and giggling after looking like bums on national TV.  Ouch.

My bet is that Mikey doesn't like Marvy, et al, having fun and giggling after looking like bums on national TV. I would like to think he will have a Come to Jesus meeting with Marvy today in the FO. Tongue
Reply/Quote
The supposed team leader, that has supposedly stepped up his leadership so far in this young season threw a ball into triple coverage and it was picked. Obviously there were other player concerns in that game but that particular play stood out above all others...triple coverage, watch the replay!
Bright spots, Wilder wants to play , Little and Kumerow held onto the ball.
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2015, 02:20 PM)Benton Wrote: I don't know how much the lack of play calling last night was Hue and how much was just not wanting to give away too much in a preseason game. But. If Hue was trying, it's going to be a rough year.

The only thing starters and coaches try to do in preseason games is try not to get hurt.
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2015, 01:00 PM)Okeana Wrote: Last night everyone on this team sucked plain and simple.  Its 100% the coaches failure to properly motivate a team to play well.  

What was funny was Gruden last night.  He couldn't believe this was a professional football team with their play.  The bucs couldn't even foul their way to a loss i just couldn't stop laughing.

BTW is it me or is Andre Smith the Laziest Fattest SOB in the entire NFL.  Jesus I hope this guy is getting docked pay.

I'm not sure what exactly his injury is.  Is it the same one he had last year or a new one?  Did he get hurt in camp or OTA's?  

I think there's reason to be concerned if Fisher (also banged up) is our starter at RT, as he's a rookie and reports were that he wasn't quite ready to start.  I KNOW we're screwed if Winston is pushed into starting duty.  He's as done as Peko on the other side of the ball.  

Absolutely frigging hilarious that after blowing two picks on OTs AND having two highly paid veteran starters entrenched on the roster that the possibility of having Winston in the starting lineup on opening day even exists.  

People crowed about our loaded and deep offensive line, but IMO this was a mirage all along.  Ogbuehi isn't a factor and likely won't be for awhile, our backup interior linemen are a bunch of nobodies (Dan France might make this team), and the other half of the much lauded 1-2 draft of OTs is now hurt as well.  We were suddenly deep because of 1 2nd round pick?  I don't see where the improvement comes from TBH.  Minimal improvement along the line if any for the 2015 season.
Reply/Quote
Cincinnat Bengals = above average talent.
                              below average coaching
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2015, 04:18 PM)tman Wrote: Cincinnat Bengals = above average talent.
                              below average coaching

Pretty much what I think the problem is. ThumbsUp
[Image: PApinhead-Sig-1_2.png]

Sig compliments of ExtraRadiohead
Reply/Quote
Seemed like a rerun of a story I've seen too often. If you come at the Bengals hard enough for long enough, they will back down. If you smack them real hard right off the bat, they have been known to back down almost immediately.

That's the real demon, the real monkey on the back. Stop making sequels. Pre-season, regular season, playoffs, tiddly winks---stop being chumps.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
Geno carried, Dawson knifed, Peko and Bodine are still on skates.

On to Chicago.
Reply/Quote
My first thought: It's preseason.

My second thought: Thank god.
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2015, 06:04 PM)CKwi88 Wrote: My first thought: It's preseason.

My second thought: Thank god.

No doubt.  On the other hand, we are almost certainly going to see one or two of these performances in the coming season.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(08-25-2015, 05:39 PM)McC Wrote: Seemed like a rerun of a story I've seen too often.  If you come at the Bengals hard enough for long enough, they will back down.  If you smack them real hard right off the bat, they have been known to back down almost immediately.

That's the real demon, the real monkey on the back.  Stop making sequels.  Pre-season, regular season, playoffs, tiddly winks---stop being chumps.

It's dumbfounding McC !

Where's the team pride ? I fully understand it's a damn preseason game and means nothing. The purpose is to see what you got in the back end of the roster and get the starters in sync.

But come on ! To lay an egg like that with the whole world watching ! To have the 1st string not even have the heart and soul and pride to at least put a damn decent looking drive together against TB's 2nd team ?

Inexcusable !
Reply/Quote
My thoughts from last night's game: I feel sorry for Bengals fans who don't also happen to be Ohio St. fans. I also maintain that the team was a reflection of their lifeless head coach, which we've seen all too many times. Having said that, I think they're still going to be a very good team this season.
Reply/Quote
It was bad, but really, the one thing I take from this game is:

it's hard to play in 90 degree heat with 80+% humidity against a team that is already acclimatised to it.

The whole team looked like they had no energy and the weather conditions have to be a large reason for that.
Reply/Quote