Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Ted Karras
(03-14-2022, 02:52 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: I.........did not know that

He may retire…

Reply/Quote
Mongo likes our offensive line signings.

Perhaps not home runs, but a singles or doubles for sure.
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2022, 03:04 PM)Okeana Wrote: overall kinda disappointed. budget mid tier signings off the rip

I get wanting a blockbuster signing for a big problem, but you have to realize we need to reshape darn near the entire line. So blowing your wad on one signing would be dumb.

This is how you get it done. These are solid starters with championship experience, that didn't break the bank, and allows us to make more moves.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
Alex Karras was Ted Karras’ great uncle. Now I need to watch Blazing Saddles again!
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
https://www.forbes.com/sites/oliverthomas/2022/02/21/impending-free-agent-ted-karras-proved-to-be-among-new-england-patriots-best-values-in-2021/?sh=4182215f2a53

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2022, 03:02 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: Taking the correct approach to the offseason. Bring in more guys for that line now!

C/G was expected to be the focus for long term deals. RT is now a one year rental again. Go DB at #31 and RT at #62.
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2022, 02:52 PM)Yogo Wrote: Immediate upgrade, but it feels like we getting tier/wave 2 guys on day 1.

Do yourself a favour and don't listen to Joe Goodberry.

These are good moves as of right now; just have to see how they play out once the season starts.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2022, 03:12 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I get wanting a blockbuster signing for a big problem, but you have to realize we need to reshape darn near the entire line. So blowing your wad on one signing would be dumb.

This is how you get it done. These are solid starters with championship experience, that didn't break the bank, and allows us to make more moves.

We also need to add a new defensive tackle now that Larry Ogunjobi is on his way to play for Da Bearss.
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2022, 03:13 PM)bengals1969 Wrote: C/G was expected to be the focus for long term deals. RT is now a one year rental again.  Go DB at #31 and RT at #62.

Looks like we'll also need to address the DL with Larry O. leaving.
Reply/Quote
I wonder if this ends up being a break even move cap wise, interesting that his per year is same as what we save cutting Hopkins..i.e. doesn't prevent us from other moves at all.
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2022, 03:12 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I get wanting a blockbuster signing for a big problem, but you have to realize we need to reshape darn near the entire line. So blowing your wad on one signing would be dumb.

These are solid deals. We didn't need superstars. These are solid guys.
Reply/Quote
I like Karras at Center better than Hop. Great grab, Karras was in my thoughts, younger than Ben Jones and Jensen.

I like how we are going after youth. Maybe Trent Brown next or a trade for either Collins or McGlinchey?
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2022, 03:02 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: Taking the correct approach to the offseason. Bring in more guys for that line now!

C/G was expected to be the focus for long term deals. RT is now a one year rental again. Go DB at #31 and RT at #62.
Reply/Quote
Holy shit, y'all.
We're actually doing it.

We're fixing the Oline!
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2022, 03:14 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: These are solid deals. We didn't need superstars. These are solid guys.

Right, we have super stars at the skill positions. We need solid guys up front with a mean streak. We just got two. This is exactly what they should have done.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
If we get Karas, Cappa, Collins/Darryl Williams/Moses at RT I'd call this a success.
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2022, 03:12 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I get wanting a blockbuster signing for a big problem, but you have to realize we need to reshape darn near the entire line. So blowing your wad on one signing would be dumb.

Absolutely. Are either of them gonna be superstars no but each are solid and will provide a massive improvement to the line. Each grade in the low 70s on PFF whereas Hopkins and Adeniji graded out at 51 and 48 respectively. Joe Mixon also has to be salivating at this point. These signings quickly improve our run game.
Reply/Quote
I just read he had a career year as a pass blocker. This makes sense based upon using 3 WRs 77% of the time and passing almost 60% of the time.

Seems like they’re saying the Bengals are a passing team. And they’re going to pass it down your freakin’ throats.
Reply/Quote
Bill Belichick:
On if Ted Karras' versatility playing multiple positions on the offensive line has helped the team:
BB: There's no doubt about that. In an ideal world, both your guards can play center, and then that would really give you the communication because there's a lot of pressure on the center to handle the communication on the line of scrimmage. Kind of like the quarterback, you want to handle it from the middle of the formation from the inside out. Somebody's got to make the decision, but when the guards see it the same way as the center, when they have that kind of experience, when they can recognize it in sync with the center, and then that moves the communication to the tackle and the tight end much more quickly and smoothly, and, again, if the line stems or something happens late, a lot of times those guys are the ones who really have to make adjustments if the center can't see it, or it's too late for him to do anything about it, they have to do it. Having Ted as a second center in there, that helps in a lot of areas with both recognition and communication. That's been good for us. We feel good about all the players; Shaq [Mason] and Mike [Onwenu] aren't centers, but they're good players, and that's good too. It's good to have Trent [Brown] back out there, [Isaiah] Wynn. We'll see how it goes. Ted's done a good job inside with the communication, toughness, and just playing the way Ted plays. He plays with good edge, and he's done a good job for us.

More:
“Ted was pretty consistent for us and still is,” Patriots head coach Bill Belichick said during a November press conference. “I think that’s one of the great things about Ted Karras. You get pretty much the same person, the same player, the same level of communication, aggressiveness, play, every single day. Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Sunday — whatever it is we’re doing, you’re going to get Ted’s best, and you’re going to get a consistent level of play.
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2022, 03:06 PM)Speedy Thomas Wrote: I was wondering if he was related to Alex Karras.  Yesssssss!

For you youngsters, Alex Karras was an absolute bad ass DT for the Lions.  I spent many Thanksgiving Days watching him beat the shit out of Packers guards.

How bad ass was he, you ask?

He punched out a horse in Blazing Saddles.  Totally in character.

He was great on Webster too... LOL
Reply/Quote