Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Ted Karras
(03-14-2022, 03:14 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: These are solid deals. We didn't need superstars. These are solid guys.

Both of these are top 25 G in Karras case maybe a top 12 C if we move on from Hopkins. Easily both are better than Spain or Hopkins. This is what good teams do spend smart. I feel like i'm living in a alternate universe
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2022, 03:04 PM)Okeana Wrote: overall kinda disappointed.  budget mid tier signings off the rip

These guys are just solid players and are immediate upgrades of what we had. 

If you fill out the entire OL with guys like this, you are looking at a good (not great) OL....which is all we need at this point. 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2022, 03:16 PM)WychesWarrior Wrote: Right, we have super stars at the skill positions. We need solid guys up front with a mean streak. We just got two. This is exactly what they should have done.

I had no doubt today was the day they “fixed” the Oline. I wanted young guys in their mid twenties to form a line that stayed together for years. I didn’t want 30+ Stars who’s prime years are behind them and cost a bundle.

Neither did the Bengals. I don’t think they are done either. RT is where the Bengals might shock.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2022, 03:13 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Do yourself a favour and don't listen to Joe Goodberry.

These are good moves as of right now; just have to see how they play out once the season starts.

Goodberry seems fine with these moves tbh. 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2022, 03:20 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: These guys are just solid players and are immediate upgrades of what we had. 

If you fill out the entire OL with guys like this, you are looking at a good (not great) OL....which is all we need at this point. 

One more second to throw the ball to Chase . . .
Reply/Quote
That is a little higher than the 4.43 million PFF guessed
Reply/Quote
PFF on Karras:

125. C/G TED KARRAS, NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS
Karras’ decision to rejoin a New England team that drafted him paid off — even after fellow center David Andrews agreed to an extension and won the starting center job. Karras filled in for over 800 snaps at mostly left guard and earned a 76.9 pass-blocking grade. Karras earned a solid multi-year payday as a versatile interior offensive lineman.

Strengths:
– Avoids negative plays in the run game
– Coming off a career season in pass protection
– Experience starting at center and guard

Weaknesses:
– Doesn't play with great leverage
– Low percentage of positively graded run blocks

Scheme Fit/Role:
STARTING GUARD/HIGH-END BACKUP WITH POSITIONAL VERSATILITY: Karras' 2021 season with the Patriots marked the first time he cleared a PFF grade of 70.0 in a starting role, and it was by far the best season of his career in pass protection of his three years as a starter. At worst, he's a high-end depth piece for an interior offensive line with starting experience at multiple positions.

Recent Injury History: Karras hasn't had any major injury concerns in his NFL career. He missed a game in 2019 with a knee injury but has been available outside of that over the past three seasons.

Contract Projection: Three years, $13 million ($4.33M per year), $6.25 million total guaranteed

Bottom Line: Karras' track record over the last three years of starting at multiple positions competently provides, at worst, peace of mind for an offensive line that is already in a good place when it comes to depth.
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2022, 03:21 PM)bengals1969 Wrote: I had no doubt today was the day they “fixed” the Oline. I wanted young guys in their mid twenties to form a line that stayed together for years. I didn’t want 30+ Stars who’s prime years are behind them and cost a bundle.

Neither did the Bengals. I don’t think they are done either. RT is where the Bengals might shock.

Sign Morgan Moses or draft Daniel Faalele or Nicholas Petit-Frere!
Reply/Quote
The good thing about Karras is he can play both guard and center
Reply/Quote
This is a great signing as well. I say great because the Bengals are trying to revamp the oline, and with the roster they already have overall, they cant do that by paying the best olineman out there when they need to upgrade at least 3 positions on the line.

(03-14-2022, 03:12 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I get wanting a blockbuster signing for a big problem, but you have to realize we need to reshape darn near the entire line. So blowing your wad on one signing would be dumb.

This is how you get it done. These are solid starters with championship experience, that didn't break the bank, and allows us to make more moves.

Exactly. It was part of the Patriots' formula during their dynasty years. They rarely went after huge signings, but instead went after the 'blue collar' players to fill in the all the gaps.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
(03-14-2022, 03:17 PM)Au165 Wrote: If we get Karas, Cappa, Collins/Darryl Williams/Moses at RT I'd call this a success.

Yes

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2022, 03:21 PM)bengals1969 Wrote: I had no doubt today was the day they “fixed” the Oline. I wanted young guys in their mid twenties to form a line that stayed together for years. I didn’t want 30+ Stars who’s prime years are behind them and cost a bundle.

They seem like ascending players like Hendrickson last year. I’ll take it!

One more signing like these and I might have to excuse myself from the room until the erection subsides.
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2022, 03:16 PM)Wyche Wrote: Right, we have super stars at the skill positions. We need solid guys up front with a mean streak. We just got two. This is exactly what they should have done.

Yes, this is exactly what I wanted to see. They weren't the guys I was expecting cause of the mirror smoke but they are
exactly what we needed. FA just started too, this is awesome.

(03-14-2022, 03:17 PM)Au165 Wrote: If we get Karas, Cappa, Collins/Darryl Williams/Moses at RT I'd call this a success.

For sure. Wink

(03-14-2022, 03:18 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: Bill Belichick:
On if Ted Karras' versatility playing multiple positions on the offensive line has helped the team:
BB: There's no doubt about that. In an ideal world, both your guards can play center, and then that would really give you the communication because there's a lot of pressure on the center to handle the communication on the line of scrimmage. Kind of like the quarterback, you want to handle it from the middle of the formation from the inside out. Somebody's got to make the decision, but when the guards see it the same way as the center, when they have that kind of experience, when they can recognize it in sync with the center, and then that moves the communication to the tackle and the tight end much more quickly and smoothly, and, again, if the line stems or something happens late, a lot of times those guys are the ones who really have to make adjustments if the center can't see it, or it's too late for him to do anything about it, they have to do it. Having Ted as a second center in there, that helps in a lot of areas with both recognition and communication. That's been good for us. We feel good about all the players; Shaq [Mason] and Mike [Onwenu] aren't centers, but they're good players, and that's good too. It's good to have Trent [Brown] back out there, [Isaiah] Wynn. We'll see how it goes. Ted's done a good job inside with the communication, toughness, and just playing the way Ted plays. He plays with good edge, and he's done a good job for us.

More:
“Ted was pretty consistent for us and still is,” Patriots head coach Bill Belichick said during a November press conference. “I think that’s one of the great things about Ted Karras. You get pretty much the same person, the same player, the same level of communication, aggressiveness, play, every single day. Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Sunday — whatever it is we’re doing, you’re going to get Ted’s best, and you’re going to get a consistent level of play.

Sweet, love hearing this from quite possibly the greatest NFL HC of all time about our new O-lineman.

Think Ted can really help Trey Hill grow as a player too.
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2022, 02:47 PM)Au165 Wrote: I'll be curious to hear what the plan is here. Wonder if it is based on draft and if a center falls to us he kicks out to guard or plays Center and Carman gets a crack at LG. 

As mentioned earlier, not he also comes from a winning organization.

Let training camp sort it out. Now they have good competition at the guard spots for the backups. If you are Carmen you know you must come to camp ready to impress. Same for other 1 & 2 year guys on the line.
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2022, 03:13 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Do yourself a favour and don't listen to Joe Goodberry.

These are good moves as of right now; just have to see how they play out once the season starts.

He actually seems fairly happy with these pickups.

Reply/Quote
(03-14-2022, 03:25 PM)Millhouse Wrote: This is a great signing as well. I say great because the Bengals are trying to revamp the oline, and with the roster they already have overall, they cant do that by paying the best olineman out there when they need to upgrade at least 3 positions on the line.

Exactly. It was part of the Patriots' formula during their dynasty years. They rarely went after huge signings, but instead went after the 'blue collar' players to fill in the all the gaps.

Not a coincidence both players came from Brady's teams. Brady losing Cappa will hurt, same with Marpet retiring and all the 
other players not coming back from last year.

We are trying to be the next dynasty with Burrow and it is great to see. Just starting too, I truly believe that what Shake said 
is true and we just went to the SB ahead of schedule. Now is the time to go back and win the whole thing.
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2022, 03:01 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: I love it. 

Everyone else can overpay for the big name super stars, just plug in immediate upgrades and solid players across the entire OL. It will make a world of difference. 

Thats the thing.  Some of our fans were claiming we couldnt sign a bunch of elite free agent O-linemen.  The point other fans have made is we never needed to spend huge money on elite players.  Just get a few solid guys and upgrade several positions and you have made the line better.
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2022, 03:14 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: We also need to add a new defensive tackle now that Larry Ogunjobi is on his way to play for Da Bearss.

As long as we retain BJ Hill, I'm fine. Has there been any news on that front? I haven't been keeping up.

(03-14-2022, 03:14 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: These are solid deals. We didn't need superstars. These are solid guys.

(03-14-2022, 03:17 PM)thompson19osu Wrote: Absolutely. Are either of them gonna be superstars no but each are solid and will provide a massive improvement to the line. Each grade in the low 70s on PFF whereas Hopkins and Adeniji graded out at 51 and 48 respectively. Joe Mixon also has to be salivating at this point. These signings quickly improve our run game.

Exactly, on both of these posts. We don't need the top guy in the league. We just need solid guys replacing the guys we had grading in the 40s and low 50s.

Don't ask "are these guys pro bowlers". They don't need to be. They're still massive upgrades and we won't be giving up 16 sacks in 2 playoff games anymore. We went from having 2 scrubs in the middle, to a pair of plus starters. That's HUGE.

That said, if Karras is replacing Spain, we really only upgraded massively at one spot. Still need to see how this stakes out.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
Between Karras and Cappa, I do feel IOL is upgraded.
A RT needs added for sure.
If the team re-signs Spain and/or lets Hopkins go, we'll know for sure that Karras is taking over C.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(03-14-2022, 03:14 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: We also need to add a new defensive tackle now that Larry Ogunjobi is on his way to play for Da Bearss.

At #31, I'm thinking DT Travis Jones-Connecticut, or CB Roger McCreary-Auburn, and then at #63 OT-Daniel Faalele-Minnesota or OT-Jarmee Salyer Georgia.
Reply/Quote