Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 2 Average
The Circle Game or Neo Nazi symbol?
Steph Curry, NBA superstar or White Supremacist agent?!

[Image: _86870081_reu.jpg]
Joking aside, the funny thing about these kind of things is people have always liked to try and find hidden meaning where this is none. Before this recent accusation of that this symbol meant other nut jobs had claimed it was an Illuminati symbol. The problem is when you give any sort of backing to this crap it shows that people will ill intentions can in fact hijack whatever they want.

Maybe next they will decide that a thumbs up is also a white supremacist symbol. The reason is obvious I mean the thumb represents a lone person on top of a mass (your hand) which represents a belief of one race racially superior to all coming out on top. See how dumb that is? I would bet a large sum of money though that you could easily pay bots and trolls to start spreading such a rumor and there would be articles written about it somewhere and eventually picked up by bigger news sites who scrape the bottom of the barrel for content at times.
(12-18-2019, 11:31 AM)Au165 Wrote: Joking aside, the funny thing about these kind of things is people have always liked to try and find hidden meaning where this is none. Before this recent accusation of that this symbol meant other nut jobs had claimed it was an Illuminati symbol. The problem is when you give any sort of backing to this crap it shows that people will ill intentions can in fact hijack whatever they want.

Maybe next they will decide that a thumbs up is also a white supremacist symbol. The reason is obvious I mean the thumb represents a lone person  on top of a mass (your hand) which represents a belief of one race racially superior to all coming out on top. See how dumb that is? I would bet a large sum of money though that you could easily pay bots and trolls to start spreading such a rumor and there would be articles written about it somewhere and eventually picked up by bigger news sites who scrape the bottom of the barrel for content at times.

Don't think it would work for the thumbs up sign, since that is so widespread and the attempt to hijack would be so blatant.

Also, if racists have worked to hijack the circle sign, and still others know the ambiguity can fluster the Brads out there and set the liberals a jawing, then people publicly flashing an upside down ok sign will quite naturally raise questions about public, not "hidden" meaning. 

I would add that, as one previously unaware of the circle game, I never saw the OK sign used upside down until it became publicly discussed as a racist symbol. That seems to me a feature (ambiguously) distinguishing wp from ok.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(12-18-2019, 11:55 AM)Dill Wrote: Don't think it would work for the thumbs up sign, since that is so widespread and the attempt to hijack would be so blatant.

Also, if racists have worked to hijack the circle sign, and still others know the ambiguity can fluster the Brads out there and set the liberals a jawing, then people publicly flashing an upside down ok sign will quite naturally raise questions about public, not "hidden" meaning. 

I would add that, as one previously unaware of the circle game, I never saw the OK sign used upside down until it became publicly discussed as a racist symbol. That seems to me a feature (ambiguously) distinguishing  wp from ok.  

I mean the "okay" symbol isn't widespread? It's literally the universal symbol for the word "okay". Every president the U.S. has had for the last 30 years has flashed it. Every NBA player who hits a big three flashes it. It the universal symbol of SCUBA diving for "I'm okay'.

This is actually interesting, because it's not the upside down symbol that is supposedly racist but the right side up version. In fact the fingers pointing upward was said to make our the letter 'W" while the circle and your palm created the "p". 

[Image: OkayLarge267x296.jpg?itok=BAkTglHS]

You yourself have already confused that symbol, along with the media, and made the upside down version which doesn't make those symbolic letters into the culprit. The ADL actually points out that the upside down game version of the symbol is mistakenly associated with white supremacy. People in a rush to not accidentally, maybe, sort of, offend someone have basically created a new meaning of a symbol that isn't even the same symbol that is kind of sort of recognized as a fringe white supremacy symbol.
(12-18-2019, 10:48 AM)Dill Wrote: And can you tell me in your vast experience with the military past and present that racist insignia on clothing, tatoos, membership in racist organizations, racist behavior and the like have never been addressed? Not to mention all manner of bad behavior in public or towards other service members to include racist signing (article 117 UCMJ)?

Let's take a word out of your mouth.  You are not "CERTAIN" the cadets intended the sign to be a racist signal; you just "DON"T THINK FOR A SECOND" that the intent was racist.

You maintain the cadets know "social media games," but you DON'T THINK FOR A SECOND that they could know or intend their upside down ok signs to signal "white power" or to mock the "*****"?   That right?
How about this: Instead of you continuing to make up what i said let's just simply quote what I said:

bfine32 Wrote:I don't think for a second that the racist context of the symbol dawned on the Cadets; nor do i think it was intended as such. If not for this very forum I'd have 0 idea that it was tied to White Supremacy. The point is: They were "playing a Social media game" while representing their Academies in Uniform.

Now if you want to try again to make a point by using exactly what I said feel free (although I don't know what the point would be other than "you're wrong"); but quit making shit up.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

(12-18-2019, 12:17 PM)Au165 Wrote: I mean the "okay" symbol isn't widespread? It's literally the universal symbol for the word "okay". Every president the U.S. has had for the last 30 years has flashed it. Every NBA player who hits a big three flashes it. It  the universal symbol of SCUBA diving for "I'm okay'.

This is actually interesting, because it's not the upside down symbol that is supposedly racist but the right side up version. In fact the fingers pointing upward was said to make our the letter 'W" while the circle and your palm created the "p". 

[Image: OkayLarge267x296.jpg?itok=BAkTglHS]

You yourself have already confused that symbol, along with the media, and made the upside down version which doesn't make those symbolic letters into the culprit. The ADL actually points out that the upside down game version of the symbol is mistakenly associated with white supremacy. People in a rush to not accidentally, maybe, sort of, offend someone have basically created a new meaning of a symbol that isn't even the same symbol that is kind of sort of recognized as a fringe white supremacy symbol.

Well you learned me something then. I thought it was supposed to be upside down, as with the shooter in the picture in my earlier post and other pictures I've seen.

The right side up "ok" is not universal. It means "you are an asshole" in Southern Europe, the Middle East, and South America. I once read a funny story about a balloonist who went to compete in a balloon race in Brazil. He hired four locals to hold down his balloon, waiting to begin the race. All the ropes were set, so he gave his holders the ok sign. They threw down the ropes and walked off. He was disqualified. lol

Your latter point about people wishing to exploit the ambiguity applies here. A person can throw the sign around now and sow anger and uncertainty.

"Covfefe" would be a more likely prospect for WP investment than thumbs up. Much less work; already connected to Trump.
(12-18-2019, 01:36 PM)bfine32 Wrote: How about this: Instead of you continuing to make up what i said let's just simply quote what I said:

Now if you want to try again to make a point by using exactly what I said feel free (although I don't know what the point would be other than "you're wrong"); but quit making shit up.

No one is "making shit up" or putting words in your mouth.

I quoted "exactly" what you said in my first response.

Then I gave you the benefit of the doubt and reworded my question using your terms.

If you could answer the question without blowing smoke, you'd have done it by now.  

(2nd thread you've dodged a question from me today; and you're the guy who demands everyone else be straight with him.)
(12-18-2019, 03:50 PM)Dill Wrote: Well you learned me something then. I thought it was supposed to be upside down, as with the shooter in the picture in my earlier post.

The right side up "ok" is not universal. It means "you are an asshole" in Southern Europe, the Middle East, and South America. I once read a funny story about a balloonist who went to compete in a balloon race in Brazil. He hired four locals to hold down his balloon, waiting to begin the race. All the ropes were set, so he gave his holders the ok sign. They threw down the ropes and walked off. He was disqualified. lol

Your latter point about people wishing to exploit the ambiguity applies here. A person can throw the sign around now and sow anger and uncertainty.

Yea, the who thing has gotten insanely out of control

I guess I should say "universal" in terms of here (US). Obviously, cultural differences do create some differences. That said, it is used in this culture every day be celebrities and normal people alike. In this culture it is universally accepted to mean okay, or 3 point shot now with the rise of Steph Curry haha.

The only reason there is "anger and uncertainty" is the whole issue we are dealing now in the cancel/woke culture. Rather than assuming people don't have ill or devious intentions we go into every situation looking for someone to do something that could be taken the wrong way. It is a legitimate issue we are facing today and something we have to wrap our heads around before it's too late. 

The guy at the Cubs game who threw the circle game out was judge/jury/ and executed by the media and they had no freaking clue what the intentions were. As I have pointed out the "sign" he did wasn't even the sign attributed to white supremacy. Essentially we have taken comment sections from Youtube videos and news articles and turned them into the drivers of news stories themselves
(12-18-2019, 03:58 PM)Dill Wrote: No one is "making shit up" or putting words in your mouth.

I quoted "exactly" what you said in my first response.

Then I gave you the benefit of the doubt and reworded my question using your terms.

If you could answer the question without blowing smoke, you'd have done it by now.  

(2nd thread you've dodged a question from me today; and you're the guy who demands everyone else be straight with him.)

Actually this is what you said when you gave me the "benefit of the doubt" of restating what I said:

Quote:but you DON'T THINK FOR A SECOND that they could know or intend their upside down ok signs to signal "white power" or to mock the "*****"?   That right?

This is what I said: No need to rephrase it:
Quote:I don't think for a second that the racist context of the symbol dawned on the Cadets; nor do i think it was intended as such.

Now if it's your intent to ask me if this is what I believe then the answer is YES. If you want me to answer your "benefit of the doubt" giving rephrasing of what I said then the answer is NO. They very well could have known it stands for White Power. But that would be arguing against something I never stated. You want to argue what you stated I stated and that's a far too common tactic in this forum. 

EDIT: It appears upon further review of this thread you didn't actually understand the symbol as you contended it to have to be upside down. GTFO.

(12-17-2019, 05:02 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I remember when being a Dale Earnhart Jr. was called racist; as the car number was 88, the 8th letter in the alphabet is H and double H stands for Hiel Hitler.
Oh man, my sister is now going to have to burn her WP88 T-shirt.  It commemorated the Wilson Phillips 1988 concert tour..

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
(12-18-2019, 05:57 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Actually this is what you said when you gave me the "benefit of the doubt" of restating what I said

This is what I said: No need to rephrase it:

Now if it's your intent to ask me if this is what I believe then the answer is YES. If you want me to answer your "benefit of the doubt" giving rephrasing of what I said then the answer is NO. They very well could have known it stands for White Power. But that would be arguing against something I never stated. You want to argue what you stated I stated and that's a far too common tactic in this forum. 

EDIT: It appears upon further review of this thread you didn't actually understand the symbol as you contended it to have to be upside down. GTFO.

The "rephrase" was for clarification of the ambiguity in your original.  Now it turns out you say the cadets "could" have known the symbol stands for White power, but before, you didn't "think for a second the context of the symbol dawned on the cadet."

The "tactic" was an effort to find out for sure what you were saying, which you construed as "putting words in your mouth." 

You might have extended me the courtesy of a further question before wasting time telling me you don't recall ever being briefed about the circle game. The incident was not newsworthy in the first place because the Cadets might have been playing the circle game.
(12-19-2019, 02:09 AM)Dill Wrote: The "rephrase" was for clarification of the ambiguity in your original.  Now it turns out you say the cadets "could" have known the symbol stands for White power, but before, you didn't "think for a second the context of the symbol dawned on the cadet."

The "tactic" was an effort to find out for sure what you were saying, which you construed as "putting words in your mouth." 

You might have extended me the courtesy of a further question before wasting time telling me you don't recall ever being briefed about the circle game. The incident was not newsworthy in the first place because the Cadets might have been playing the circle game.

The "rephrase" was you your saying what you wanted me to say. It happens a lot here; don't sweat it, just own it.

(12-19-2019, 02:47 PM)bfine32 Wrote: The r"rephrase' you your saying what you wanted me to say. It happens a lot here; don't sweat it, just own it.

keeper
As expected, it turns out the hand signals at the Army/Navy game were in fact a game like everyone who wasn't waiting for a controversy expected per the investigation by the Naval Academy. Carry on, nothing to see here.
(12-20-2019, 04:20 PM)Au165 Wrote: As expected, it turns out the hand signals at the Army/Navy game were in fact a game like everyone who wasn't waiting for a controversy expected per the investigation by the Naval Academy. Carry on, nothing to see here.

Who could have ever guessed. And like I said: I'd hate to be those Cadets/Midshipmen
https://americanmilitarynews.com/2019/12/army-navy-say-hand-symbol-at-football-game-was-circle-game-not-white-power/

Quote:The U.S. Naval Academy at Annapolis did announce it would still take some form of corrective action over the game, which it called “immature behavior.”.........Williams also expressed disappointment for the actions of West Point cadets also reportedly involved in the controversy.

Maybe they were just doing the "Waving Game"!  I've been told it was very popular in the 30's and 40's.  In Germany.   Ninja

[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(12-31-2019, 08:53 AM)GMDino Wrote: Maybe they were just doing the "Waving Game"!  I've been told it was very popular in the 30's and 40's.  In Germany.   Ninja

I feel bad for the 3 or so people who just have their fists up, because it's possible that they felt pressured into participating and just put their fists up or had no clue what was really going on. Then again, maybe they did 
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

(12-31-2019, 12:39 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: I feel bad for the 3 or so people who just have their fists up, because it's possible that they felt pressured into participating and just put their fists up or had no clue what was really going on. Then again, maybe they did 

And consider that not only did they do it...they felt comfortable enough to do it in public for a group picture.

Morons.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(12-31-2019, 12:44 PM)GMDino Wrote: And consider that not only did they do it...they felt comfortable enough to do it in public for a group picture.

Morons.

I imagine that group pressure can be strong in prison guard culture. Also the picture isn’t necessarily “public”.

I’m only referring to people with their fists up.
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

(12-31-2019, 01:39 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: I imagine that group pressure can be strong in prison guard culture. Also the picture isn’t necessarily “public”.

I’m only referring to people with their fists up.

My biggest issue with the hole situation was this was encouraged by a trainer. The Cadets should have known better, but when someone is training you on conduct inside a prison facility, you might be a little more inclined to comply.