Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 3 Average
The Dalton curse is over !!!
Dalton has beaten the Bengals 2 out of 3 games and one was against our SB team. Most have given his career stuff so will tell the tale of his Rookie season in Cincy

Believe that Dalton was as good as the Bengals could really draft that year. Really were not needing to draft a QB and had much bigger needs. Yet Carson took his ball and went home crying the entire way keeping the Bengals from getting a JJ Watt type pick that year.

So Bengals were forced to change directions and go QB and they had the 4th overall pick. Cam Newton went first and the Bengals never got a chance at him. Could have went with the higher ranked QB's but made the right call and grabbed AJ Green first and then scooped up Dalton in the 2nd round as the 5th QB selected.

Feel he was the best choice and especially when afforded the opportunity to draft AJ Green and still pick Dalton up.

These are the QB's the Bengals had to choose from, once again because Carson held them hostage and forced this timing.

Pick #
1st.........Can Newton.......before Bengals pick
8th .......Jake Locker
10th......Blaine Gabbard
12th......Christian Ponder
35th.......Andy Dalton
36th ......Kapernick..........people always second guessed this per his early success, yet thank God we did not end up with that PR nightmare
74th......Ryan Mallett
152nd ...TJ Yates
Others taken are not really worth mentioning.

He came on to a team that had went 4-12 that had to replace Carson Palmer, Chad Johnson, Terrell Owens even. It was doom and gloom on the boards and a SIG wager was made amongst the posters that the Bengals could not possibly win 4 games again in 2011 after losing their
franchise QB, one of their all time best WR's in Chad, and a HOF WR with these snot nosed rookies. After all they only won 4 games the previous year and really did nothing significant in FA, most wagered on the Under.

The losers were forced to sport the most hideous SIG I've ever seen featuring Richard Simmons, unicorns, rainbows and such it seems. It was so ugly (kudos to who made it) that the winners granted mercy and only made them sport the SIG for several weeks instead of until the start of the season as wagered.

Should be noted that a few did man up and refused to take it down to fulfill their obligation after Dalton led that team to a 9-7 record and a Playoff birth. Much respect to them.

Is Dalton great ? No, but not many NFL QB's are and I would rank him at slightly above average, which is good in this league. As many have pointed out the Bengals did not try real hard to surround him with talent other than through the draft either.

Will never dislike Red and hope he does well in Nawlins when not playing the Bengals.

But it's the dawn of a new age with Joe Cool at the helm and this is an old debate
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
The spin move TD from Ja'Marr won last Sunday's game or else Andy was in position for a hat trick. Out of those QBs on the list from 2011, Andy was definitely the best even though Colin Kaepernick had a couple of flashy seasons with the 49ers. The only one on the list still playing is Blaine Gabbard. Andy definitely made it fun to be a Bengals fan again.

He is soon to be 35, ancient for a QB, but he has somehow avoided major injury even through those years playing behind the Swiss cheese Bengal offensive lines. Apparently, though he injured his back in last Sunday's game and is on limited practice this week, but I would love to see him and/or Jameis Winston turn the corner and maybe even unseat the Buccaneers in that division. Next year? Boomer came back at the end, so maybe Andy could too.
Reply/Quote
No thanks to Andy coming in as a nostalgic backup to appease the middle age fanboys that bought his jersey 8 years ago.

Unless we want guy who wilts under pressure and pees down his leg when the games on the line, Then he’d be a great fit
Reply/Quote
(10-19-2022, 08:28 AM)ATOTR Wrote: No thanks to Andy coming in as a nostalgic backup to appease the middle age fanboys that bought his jersey 8 years ago.

Unless  we want guy who wilts under pressure and pees down his leg when the games on the line,   Then he’d be a great fit

Dalton really lives in your head, doesn't he.... Hilarious
Reply/Quote
(10-18-2022, 04:34 PM)Forever Spinning Vinyl Wrote: Dallas . . . Released by the Bengals after Free Agency and after the Draft. Only a dunce would need to have it explained to them why all 32 starting QB positions in the NFL were filled after FA and the Draft. I'm here if you need me.

Or is that not what you wanted to read?
AD was released from the Bengals on April 30, 2020..can you "explained" how all 32 teams in the NFL have filled and decided their starting QB's before training camp has even started?

Your here and we need you.

In all your ranting you still haven't given one shred of evidence why 25 years from now AD will only be remembered as a average QB at best..and probably only remembered by a very few Bengals fans..

Reply/Quote
https://youtu.be/QlIzqROCHVE
Reply/Quote
(10-19-2022, 08:56 AM)ATOTR Wrote: https://youtu.be/QlIzqROCHVE

Reply/Quote
(10-19-2022, 08:56 AM)Old Dipstick Wrote: AD was released from the Bengals on April 30, 2020..can you "explained" how all 32 teams in the NFL have filled and decided their starting QB's before training camp has even started?

Your here and we need you.

In all your ranting you still haven't given one shred of evidence why 25 years from now AD will only be remembered as a average QB at best..and probably only remembered by a very few Bengals fans..

3 time Pro Bowler.....
Reply/Quote
(10-19-2022, 08:28 AM)ATOTR Wrote: No thanks to Andy coming in as a nostalgic backup to appease thet middle age fanboys that bought his jersey 8 years ago. 
[quote pid='1266879' dateline='1666178894']

Unless  we want guy who wilts under pressure and pees down his leg when the games on the line,   Then he’d be a great fit
[/quote]
........................................................................................................................................
........................................................................................................................................

Middle aged lol, I'm old as f@#$ and don't wear jersey's. Never did get people wearing a jersey that was not their own, but to each their own. 

By this comment I'm guessing you're still a pup which explains your silly take.  

Just drink some juice and take a nap, maybe try eating a snickers as well. 

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(10-18-2022, 06:19 PM)Old Dipstick Wrote: You know that applies to you to right? It does work. Wink

Yeah, it does, but I'm not the one crying about a player that our fans still respect.
Reply/Quote
(10-19-2022, 10:59 AM)Mer Wrote: Yeah, it does, but I'm not the one crying about a player that our fans still respect.

No one cares if you respect him. It doesn’t change the fact they wasted 9 years with a backup qb as their starter.
Reply/Quote
(10-19-2022, 10:53 AM)Go Cards Wrote: [quote pid='1266879' dateline='1666178894']

Middle aged lol, I'm old as f@#$ and don't wear jersey's. Never did get people wearing a jersey that was not their own, but to each their own. 

By this comment I'm guessing you're still a pup which explains your silly take.  

Just drink some juice and take a nap, maybe try eating a snickers as well. 
[/quote]

He did pretty much "out" himself with the middle-aged comment. Kids. What are you going to do?
Reply/Quote
(10-19-2022, 11:12 AM)ATOTR Wrote: No one cares if you respect him. It doesn’t change the fact they wasted 9 years with a backup qb as their starter.

Such a stupid take.

That's like saying the Bengals wasted 16 years with Marvin Lewis as the HC. Marvin, one of the highest winning percentages of Bengals coaches, brought us out of the NFL doldrums took us to multiple playoff appearances with multiple QBs including the supposedly crappy Dalton (how, btw, a head coach can be so great as to take a team to the playoffs with a "trash" QB yet not even win 1 playoff game even with a not-trash QB, I don't know).

Now, sure, Marvin should've been replaced sooner than he was, but Marvin, for most of his time here was a good HC. Just like Dalton, for most of his time here, was a slightly above average QB. 

Dalton's career 87.1 QB rating ranks him 39th amongst ALL NFL QBs in history (that have at least 1500 passing attempts)
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/leaders/pass_rating_career.htm
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(10-19-2022, 11:27 AM)PhilHos Wrote: Such a stupid take.

That's like saying the Bengals wasted 16 years with Marvin Lewis as the HC. Marvin, one of the highest winning percentages of Bengals coaches, brought us out of the NFL doldrums took us to multiple playoff appearances with multiple QBs including the supposedly crappy Dalton (how, btw, a head coach can be so great as to take a team to the playoffs with a "trash" QB yet not even win 1 playoff game even with a not-trash QB, I don't know).

Now, sure, Marvin should've been replaced sooner than he was, but Marvin, for most of his time here was a good HC. Just like Dalton, for most of his time here, was a slightly above average QB. 

Dalton's career 87.1 QB rating ranks him 39th amongst ALL NFL QBs in history (that have at least 1500 passing attempts)

If he was viewed by anyone but our fans as ‘slightly above or above average’ he would not have been a backup in 2020 when the rest of the league could have signed him at age 32 to be a starter
Reply/Quote
(10-19-2022, 11:38 AM)ATOTR Wrote: If he was viewed by anyone but our fans as ‘slightly above or above average’ he would not have been a backup in 2020 when the rest of the league could have signed him at age 32 to be a starter

Literally 2-3 days after his release by the Bengals, Dalton chose to sign with the Cowboys as a backup to be near his home in Texas (his words, not mine). He also said he had other options which, to be fair, we don't know what they were. Might they be starting opportunities? Possibly, considering Dalton did have a 70-61-2 record as starting QB.

His stats were slightly above average, his record was slightly above average, but yeah, clearly a trash QB. Rolleyes
Reply/Quote
(10-19-2022, 11:51 AM)PhilHos Wrote: Literally 2-3 days after his release by the Bengals, Dalton chose to sign with the Cowboys as a backup to be near his home in Texas (his words, not mine). He also said he had other options which, to be fair, we don't know what they were. Might they be starting opportunities? Possibly, considering Dalton did have a 70-61-2 record as starting QB.

His stats were slightly above average, his record was slightly above average, but yeah, clearly a trash QB. Rolleyes

He signed in dallas because no one else wanted him to come in and compete to start 

Why did he go to Chicago and New Orleans in back up roles?  hmmmm, i wonder!
Reply/Quote
(10-19-2022, 12:01 PM)ATOTR Wrote: He signed in dallas because no one else wanted him to come in and compete to start !

False.

https://sportsnaut.com/andy-dalton-opens-up-about-why-he-signed-with-cowboys/#:~:text=Speaking%20with%20Schefter%20%28h%2Ft%20Pro%20Football%20Talk%29%2C%20Dalton,his%20priorities%20were%20after%20being%20released%20by%20Cincinnati.
Quote: [Dalton] confirmed that he had “several options” available to him in free agency.

(10-19-2022, 12:01 PM)ATOTR Wrote: Why did he go to Chicago and New Orleans in back up roles?  hmmmm, i wonder!

Honestly, I don't know. That doesn't mean that during his time in Cincinnati he was not a slightly above average QB. 
Reply/Quote
(10-19-2022, 12:07 PM)PhilHos Wrote: False.

https://sportsnaut.com/andy-dalton-opens-up-about-why-he-signed-with-cowboys/#:~:text=Speaking%20with%20Schefter%20%28h%2Ft%20Pro%20Football%20Talk%29%2C%20Dalton,his%20priorities%20were%20after%20being%20released%20by%20Cincinnati.

Honestly, I don't know. That doesn't mean that during his time in Cincinnati he was not a slightly above average QB. 

He went to Chicago to start, and did by the way, but Fields landed in their lap so they took him. It's pretty simple, but I guess it falls beyond the grasp of some....

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(10-19-2022, 11:27 AM)PhilHos Wrote: Dalton's career 87.1 QB rating ranks him 39th amongst ALL NFL QBs in history (that have at least 1500 passing attempts)

You can’t really compare passer ratings from different eras like that though. Unless you think Andy Dalton is a better QB than Dan Marino (86.4).

Reply/Quote
(10-19-2022, 12:19 PM)Wyche Wrote: He went to Chicago to start, and did by the way, but Fields landed in their lap so they took him. It's pretty simple, but I guess it falls beyond the grasp of some....

So, Dalton got beat out by the current worst QB in the NFL.  By far the worst both this year and last year.   Wow
Reply/Quote