Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Eifert Dilemma
It looks like Eifert has made great progress with the ankle and is looking good. The question is - what to do now? Do they try to bring him back on another one year deal, hoping he can stay healthy...or do they just decide it's time to move on from Tyler altogether? 

What do you think...bring him back or let him walk?

Reply/Quote
With our current TE situation I'd do this:

1) re-sign CJ uzomeh- 2yr- 3.5 million

2) Draft A TE- a must!!!

3) re-sign Eifert-1yr 3million, with another 2 million in incentives.

4) Draft Another TE in rd 6.
Reply/Quote
I'd do a one year incentive laden deal with him in a heartbeat. Low risk high reward deal. I mean at some point the guy has to have something go his way. I'd hate for that to happen in a different uniform.
Reply/Quote
If it was the old regime, I'd pretty much guarantee he WOULD be back.

With the new regime, I'm not sure; odds go down to 50/50.

If it were up to me, I'd've already signed him to the exact same deal as last year, with maybe lowering a bit of the guaranteed money and putting higher incentives.

Guy is a game-changer every time he steps on the field.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-07-2019, 12:53 PM)Fullrock Wrote: I'd do a one year incentive laden deal with him in a heartbeat. Low risk high reward deal. I mean at some point the guy has to have something go his way. I'd hate for that to happen in a different uniform.

This is word for word how I feel. And don't you just know it would happen in a Browns uni.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
Sign him to two or three year deal that has outs for the Bengals. I don't think it's that hard of a question to be honest. Also draft a TE early in draft.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
I say no. My fear is they'll re-sign Eifert for 8m, Hart or smith for 4.5m, Preston Brown for 4m, MJ for 4m. And then cry broke as to why we can't get any roster upgrades in free agency.

If Eifert was healthy. I'd be okay with it. But think of who we could have signed in free agency last year with the 8m (might have been base of 5) we gave to Eifert when we all knew he wouldn't last half a year.

The re-sign our own only works when our own is at least getting us to above .500.

We can't fix all the issues in one draft without free agency, but re-signing these players who haven't helped us get over the hump isn't the answer either.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(03-07-2019, 12:38 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: It looks like Eifert has made great progress with the ankle and is looking good. The question is - what to do now? Do they try to bring him back on another one year deal, hoping he can stay healthy...or do they just decide it's time to move on from Tyler altogether? 

What do you think...bring him back or let him walk?

Since his last injury involved someone basically falling on his leg/ankle; I would consider it to be more of a freak accident.

He may well have been on his way to a fairly healthy season last year had it not been for that freak accident.

I would bring him back but I would treat him as say the 3rd tight end (so to speak) in the sense that I would want to bring in a decent Free Agent & also look to Draft someone with starting potential.

Eifert could & probably would still earn the number one starting tight end job next season (if healthy) but we would have at least two other guys ready to step in should Eifert get injured again.
Reply/Quote
(03-07-2019, 12:53 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: If it was the old regime, I'd pretty much guarantee he WOULD be back.

With the new regime, I'm not sure; odds go down to 50/50.

If it were up to me, I'd've already signed him to the exact same deal as last year, with maybe lowering a bit of the guaranteed money and putting higher incentives.

Guy is a game-changer every time he steps on the field.

Totally agree. 
Reply/Quote
(03-07-2019, 12:52 PM)schroomytunes Wrote: With our current TE situation I'd do this:

1) re-sign CJ uzomeh- 2yr- 3.5 million

2) Draft A TE- a must!!!

3) re-sign Eifert-1yr 3million, with another 2 million in incentives.

4) Draft Another TE in rd 6.

Couple comments on the bolded...
Nick Boyle just got 3 years, $18 mill from the Ravens. I'd expect it's going to cost probably $5-7 mill a year just to keep Uzomah since he's been more productive than Boyle.
Regarding Eifert, the incentives don't really help in terms of cap space because you have to reserve all that amount in case Eifert does meet those incentives. So he'd still count $5 mill toward the cap. At this point, I wouldn't give him more than $4 mill in total, as I don't want to see more than that eaten up from the cap. I know that's low, but at this point, Eifert's played only 14 games over the past three seasons and has never played a full season. I'm ready to move on.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(03-07-2019, 12:54 PM)McC Wrote: This is word for word how I feel.  And don't you just know it would happen in a Browns uni.

Browns?  That's a strange way to spell Patriots.
Reply/Quote
(03-07-2019, 01:20 PM)depthchart Wrote: Since his last injury involved someone basically falling on his leg/ankle; I would consider it to be more of a freak accident.

He may well have been on his way to a fairly healthy season last year had it not been for that freak accident.

I would bring him back but I would treat him as say the 3rd tight end (so to speak) in the sense that I would want to bring in a decent Free Agent & also look to Draft someone with starting potential.

Eifert could & probably would still earn the number one starting tight end job next season (if healthy) but we would have at least two other guys ready to step in should Eifert get injured again.

A 300 lb man falling on your leg will do that to anyone. I know some claim he's made of glass, but nobody could've withstood that... That being said; the man has a lot of freak accidents.

I'd bring him back though. You gotta love the man's heart. He looked broken when he was being carted off the field last year.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(03-07-2019, 01:28 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Couple comments on the bolded...
Nick Boyle just got 3 years, $18 mill from the Ravens. I'd expect it's going to cost probably $5-7 mill a year just to keep Uzomah since he's been more productive than Boyle.
Regarding Eifert, the incentives don't really help in terms of cap space because you have to reserve all that amount in case Eifert does meet those incentives. So he'd still count $5 mill toward the cap. At this point, I wouldn't give him more than $4 mill in total, as I don't want to see more than that eaten up from the cap. I know that's low, but at this point, Eifert's played only 14 games over the past three seasons and has never played a full season. I'm ready to move on.

I disagree Nick Boyle is a blocking Tight End and one of the better ones in the league.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
when hes healthy theres no other TE in the league other than Gronk and Kelce who impacts a offense like Eifert.
he wants to remain in Cincy.
give him a incentive laden deal and then draft best available at that position when its time to address it.
Reply/Quote
There is no way you let a player with Eifert's ability get away from you. Yes, he has been injury bit, but seemed healthy enough last season until the freak leg break, that was in no way on him because in that situation any players leg would have broken. You sign him to an incentive laden deal and keep him on the roster. Period.
Reply/Quote
(03-07-2019, 01:46 PM)Synric Wrote: I disagree Nick Boyle is a blocking Tight End and one of the better ones in the league.

Receiving production is what I meant. I'm honestly extremely shocked that the Ravens would pay that much for a blocking TE.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(03-07-2019, 01:50 PM)Sled21 Wrote: There is no way you let a player with Eifert's ability get away from you. Yes, he has been injury bit, but seemed healthy enough last season until the freak leg break, that was in no way on him because in that situation any players leg would have broken. You sign him to an incentive laden deal and keep him on the roster. Period.

I hear ya, but the issue with Eifert is that when he isn't having his season ended with a freak injury, he's often on the bench with a non-freak injury.  
Reply/Quote
(03-07-2019, 12:53 PM)Fullrock Wrote: I'd do a one year incentive laden deal with him in a heartbeat. Low risk high reward deal. I mean at some point the guy has to have something go his way. I'd hate for that to happen in a different uniform.

My thoughts exactly.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(03-07-2019, 01:53 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Receiving production is what I meant. I'm honestly extremely shocked that the Ravens would pay that much for a blocking TE.

I can see them running more 2 TE sets than any other team because of how they used Lamar Jackson last year.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
Two years, but it's base plus some serious incentives. $1.5 million if he plays 12+ games, $750,000 if he's in to third of receptions by a te, etc. Get it up to where he could realistically make 6-7$ million a season for those two years
Reply/Quote