Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Mandalorian
Btw make sure you watch until after the credits...
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(12-19-2020, 12:30 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Luke cutting through an entire platoon of Dark Troopers was everything I had hoped for and more. Very reminiscent of Vader at the end of Rogue One.

And then Mando taking off his helmet to say goodbye to Grogu really hit me in the feels. I’m going to miss their dynamic going forward.

I said the same thing about it being Luke's version of that scene. We finally got to see our boy at his full potential. Seeing Gideon's face when they said "It's a Jedi...". He knew he was done. 
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(12-19-2020, 12:39 AM)Synric Wrote: I was hoping for Cal Kestis. 

Cameron Monaghan is a great actor probably my second favorite Joker behind believe it or not Mark Hamill lol. 

Great actor. I think we needed the closure of "Grogu is with Luke" to feel comfortable ending that story for now. Granted, it does make us wonder where he was during the sequel trilogy. 

Reply/Quote
Havent felt that way watching an episode of any show since one of the Game of Thrones season finales before it's last two seasons. Absolutely awesome.

Some may say that was fan service bringing in Luke like that. But after The Last Jedi doing the complete opposite, fans needed this. It was as if Favreau and Felani knew how the general Star Wars fanbase felt about that movie, and wanted to make amends. Just imagine if them and Lucas made the sequels, sighs.

(12-19-2020, 02:41 AM)BmorePat87 Wrote: Great actor. I think we needed the closure of "Grogu is with Luke" to feel comfortable ending that story for now. Granted, it does make us wonder where he was during the sequel trilogy. 

I think a possiblity is that there could be a long term plan with Grogu, possibly setting up movies that take place long after the sequels in the timeline. His and Yodas species lives for like closer to 1000 years or so, so maybe few decades or a century or two later perhaps? Obviously he either escaped or was elsewhere when Luke lost his academy, maybe Asokha ended up taking him which would could explain why she wasnt in the sequels.

On a side note, I think they recognize the sequels were generally failures though Force Awakens stands out as the best one. Everything we will get from them going forwards will sidestep those movies and create their universe similar to what Marvel has done.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
(12-20-2020, 03:14 AM)Millhouse Wrote: Havent felt that way watching an episode of any show since one of the Game of Thrones season finales before it's last two seasons. Absolutely awesome.

Some may say that was fan service bringing in Luke like that. But after The Last Jedi doing the complete opposite, fans needed this. It was as if Favreau and Felani knew how the general Star Wars fanbase felt about that movie, and wanted to make amends. Just imagine if them and Lucas made the sequels, sighs.

I think a possiblity is that there could be a long term plan with Grogu, possibly setting up movies that take place long after the sequels in the timeline. His and Yodas species lives for like closer to 1000 years or so, so maybe few decades or a century or two later perhaps? Obviously he either escaped or was elsewhere when Luke lost his academy, maybe Asokha ended up taking him which would could explain why she wasnt in the sequels.

On a side note, I think they recognize the sequels were generally failures though Force Awakens stands out as the best one. Everything we will get from them going forwards will sidestep those movies and create their universe similar to what Marvel has done.

Agreed all around. While I loved the cinematography and acting of TLJ, I wasn’t a fan of the narrative. The Force Awakens is still my 2nd favorite Skywalker film.

One issue of TLJ was the only badass Luke we got to see was his astral projection. Still a great scene, but we never truly saw him as a Jedi master of immense power. Like you said, Favreau and Filoni saw that mistake and we got to see that with this scene.

Agreed that Grogu has an exit strategy from the academy and will be used for stories hundreds of years later on.

The issue with Ahsoka’s story is we know she’s dead by Rise. I’m looking forward to seeing her show serve as a sequel for Rebels, and that may mean her finding Ezra and Ezra eventually training Grogu.

Reply/Quote
(12-20-2020, 03:14 AM)Millhouse Wrote: I think a possiblity is that there could be a long term plan with Grogu, possibly setting up movies that take place long after the sequels in the timeline. His and Yodas species lives for like closer to 1000 years or so, so maybe few decades or a century or two later perhaps? 

(12-20-2020, 02:16 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: Agreed that Grogu has an exit strategy from the academy and will be used for stories hundreds of years later on.

Last year I read Star Wars: Lost Stars by Claudia Grey (Great Book I recommend) well I was wondering if there was a sequel and there was an interview with Grey saying Disney isn't allowing anything past the Battle of Jakku in the timeline. They were trying to focus on their new High Republic period.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(12-20-2020, 03:42 PM)Synric Wrote: Last year I read Star Wars: Lost Stars by Claudia Grey (Great Book I recommend) well I was wondering if there was a sequel and there was an interview with Grey saying Disney isn't allowing anything past the Battle of Jakku in the timeline. They were trying to focus on their new High Republic period.

I need to pick up the new stuff. As a kid and up until college, I read nearly every EU book that came out that had to do with the main Skywalker storyline. I plan on getting the High Republic comics. 

I'm guessing they want to avoid the issue with the EU where there was too much story via books, so it's easier to limit the new books to being Empire era and now the High Republic. Let Favreau and Filoni control the storylines involving anything post ROTJ.

Reply/Quote
https://wegotthiscovered.com/movies/karen-gillan-reportedly-eyed-liveaction-mara-jade-role/
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(12-19-2020, 12:30 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: And then Mando taking off his helmet to say goodbye to Grogu really hit me in the feels. I’m going to miss their dynamic going forward.

Yup.
(12-19-2020, 02:41 AM)BmorePat87 Wrote: Great actor. I think we needed the closure of "Grogu is with Luke" to feel comfortable ending that story for now. Granted, it does make us wonder where he was during the sequel trilogy. 

Unfortunately I feel he was one of the victims of Kylo Ren.

(12-20-2020, 03:14 AM)Millhouse Wrote: Havent felt that way watching an episode of any show since one of the Game of Thrones season finales before it's last two seasons. Absolutely awesome.

To expand on my prior comment.  I unfortunately feel that he will be among the victims of Kylo Ren at Luke's academy.  Otherwise, I would think that Luke might have made mention to Rey to leave him alone and search him out instead.

All of the above said, we binged the season yesterday and loved it.  Such a great series.  I recognized Timothy Olyphant's voice immediately, and was stoked to see him in it.  It seemed like the perfect scifi role for him, outer space Seth Bullock.  I thought I recognized other voices in the episode, so I went to IMDB right afterwards.  I wouldn't have guessed John Leguizamo in the beginning.  And I was shocked to learn the bar keep serving Marshall Bullock was good ol' Deadwood resident Dan Dority, aka Warren "Franks and Beans" Jensen of There's Something About Mary fame, aka W. Earl Brown
Reply/Quote
(12-27-2020, 07:12 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: Yup.

To expand on my prior comment.  I unfortunately feel that he will be among the victims of Kylo Ren at Luke's academy.  Otherwise, I would think that Luke might have made mention to Rey to leave him alone and search him out instead.

All of the above said, we binged the season yesterday and loved it.  Such a great series.  I recognized Timothy Olyphant's voice immediately, and was stoked to see him in it.  It seemed like the perfect scifi role for him, outer space Seth Bullock.  I thought I recognized other voices in the episode, so I went to IMDB right afterwards.  I wouldn't have guessed John Leguizamo in the beginning.  And I was shocked to learn the bar keep serving Marshall Bullock was good ol' Deadwood resident Dan Dority, aka Warren "Franks and Beans" Jensen of There's Something About Mary fame, aka W. Earl Brown

Titus Welliver from Deadwood was also in the first Bo-Katan episode.

Reply/Quote
(12-27-2020, 07:12 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: Yup.

In canon, Kylo doesn’t directly kill anyone at the academy. A lightning storm is generated from his anger that begins to destroy the academy. He doesn’t directly kill anyone until he’s confronted by 3 students who track him down.

So it’s possible Grogu gets away.

Reply/Quote
Alright... I've been avoiding this thread til I was caught up.

Admittedly... I'm not a Star Wars guy. I liked it as much as anybody who grew up in the 70s and 80s, but for a vast majority of my adult life I couldn't care less about it. My 5 year old daughter on the other hand has become a fanatic. It started with a Chewbacca sippy cup she wanted... Anyway...

So this year I've caught up on the prequels and sequels... I was really into the Mandalorian. But it all came from her wanting to watch them, and play with action figures and toys. My big take away is that true Star Wars folks don't like the sequels. Admittedly... They aren't as good as the original 3, but damned if I don't find them much more entertaining than the prequels.

You guys like those?
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(12-29-2020, 12:16 AM)jason Wrote: Alright... I've been avoiding this thread til I was caught up.

Admittedly... I'm not a Star Wars guy. I liked it as much as anybody who grew up in the 70s and 80s, but for a vast majority of my adult life I couldn't care less about it. My 5 year old daughter on the other hand has become a fanatic. It started with a Chewbacca sippy cup she wanted... Anyway...

So this year I've caught up on the prequels and sequels... I was really into the Mandalorian. But it all came from her wanting to watch them, and play with action figures and toys. My big take away is that true Star Wars folks don't like the sequels. Admittedly... They aren't as good as the original 3, but damned if I don't find them much more entertaining than the prequels.

You guys like those?

I like Force Awakens and Last Jedi a lot. Rise of Skywalker was a mess, but I didn’t hate it (only seen it once when it first came out though). The sequels have better acting, and better dialogue, but the prequels tell a much better story.

Reply/Quote
(12-29-2020, 03:21 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I like Force Awakens and Last Jedi a lot. Rise of Skywalker was a mess, but I didn’t hate it (only seen it once when it first came out though). The sequels have better acting, and better dialogue, but the prequels tell a much better story.

Those were pretty much my feelings as well... I thought Adam Driver was great, and the cinematography was really good in the sequels.

I just took my daughter to Disney World (the week Burrow got hurt), and they have a Rise of the Resistance ride now... It was really cool. At one point the "ship" you're in is captured by a star killer or whatever. They make you get off, and walk you through rows of stormtroopers to a cell. All the employees are dressed as First Order officers. At one point Kylo Ren's lightsaber comes through the ceiling of the vehicle you're in... I thought my kid's head was gonna explode.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
Finally got around to watching the last episode the day after Christmas.

Man, I haven't enjoyed anything star wars this much since the original trilogy. Second season was phenomenal. The asoka stuff was great, the juggernaut scene was fun, but the last episode was maybe one of my favorite star wars moments. We got to see mando getting his butt kicked (again) but pulling out a win. And maybe the best was seeing luke as he should've been, instead of what they did in the last trilogy.

Now to waste another year until the next season comes out.
Reply/Quote
(12-29-2020, 09:23 PM)Benton Wrote: Finally got around to watching the last episode the day after Christmas.

Man, I haven't enjoyed anything star wars this much since the original trilogy. Second season was phenomenal. The asoka stuff was great, the juggernaut scene was fun, but the last episode was maybe one of my favorite star wars moments. We got to see mando getting his butt kicked (again) but pulling out a win. And maybe the best was seeing luke as he should've been, instead of what they did in the last trilogy.

Now to waste another year until the next season comes out.

Aren't these Boba Fett and Ashoka spinoffs supposed to start up sooner? I know it's not the same, but still...

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(12-29-2020, 10:18 PM)jason Wrote: Aren't these Boba Fett and Ashoka spinoffs supposed to start up sooner? I know it's not the same, but still...

Have they begun filming any of it?
Reply/Quote
(12-29-2020, 10:18 PM)jason Wrote: Aren't these Boba Fett and Ashoka spinoffs supposed to start up sooner? I know it's not the same, but still...

(12-29-2020, 11:06 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: Have they begun filming any of it?

Rumors are 2022, but there's been no start to any of it.
Reply/Quote
Finally got around to season 2 this past week. Just watched the last episode. Not gonna lie, got some goosebumps there at the end. Great show. They just do a terrific job, and I think the directing team they've put together for it keeps it fresh and interesting from one episode to the next, so it's not just watching the same style from one episode to another, but a little different focus or view from one to the next.

They do the Star Wars franchise proud with that show, and I'm looking forward to all of the other new shows they're planning!
Reply/Quote
(12-29-2020, 03:21 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I like Force Awakens and Last Jedi a lot. Rise of Skywalker was a mess, but I didn’t hate it (only seen it once when it first came out though). The sequels have better acting, and better dialogue, but the prequels tell a much better story.

I've only seen it once, when it first came out.

It is on Disney+ now, and I keep seeing it on there and telling myself that I need to watch it again, but then I don't actually do it.  I thought I liked the movie when I saw it originally; but I guess my (in)actions towards watching it again reveal my true feelings towards it, that I could have done without it and did not feel it was good closure to the Skywalker saga.  Sadly, I'm starting to feel that The Last Jedi might have been the better movie of the two.  Hopefully I will end up watching it again and can find something that redeems itself to me.
Reply/Quote