Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
The New "Ginger Genius"
Pretty safe to say, you can win a SB or a playoff game with a bad QB performance. 

You can't win a SB if your QB has multiple bad performances. 

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
Some Super Bowl game winning performances

Roethlisberger '05.... 22.6 rating... 123 yds... 0 td
Elway '97...……………. 51.9 rating... 123 yds... 0 td
P Manning '15...……. 56.6 rating... 141 yds... 0 td
Brady '18...…………… 71.4 rating... 262 yds... 0 td
Theisman '82...……. 75.1 rating... 143 yds... 2 td
Aikman '93...……….. 77.2 rating... 202 yds... 0 td
Johnson '02...……… 79.9 rating... 215 yds... 2 td
Dilfer '00...………….. 80.9 rating... 153 yds... 1 td
Reply/Quote
(08-20-2019, 02:31 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Tom Brady in '17 Super Bowl loss.....505 yds, 115.4 rating, 3 tds
Tom Brady in '18 Super Bowl win......262 yds,  71.4 rating, 0 tds

It's like it takes a whole TEAM to win a Super Bowl.  Mellow
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
I find it funny that some people put out this false front projecting that they only care about, and all that matters, is post-season play . . . then why the Hell are you here right now, talking tough in August? You're either a liar, just being an ass or both.
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
(08-20-2019, 03:25 PM)Forever Spinning Vinyl Wrote: I find it funny that some people put out this false front projecting that they only care about, and all that matters, is post-season play . . . then why the Hell are you here right now, talking tough in August? You're either a liar, just being an ass or both.

You don't understand how it works.

Nothing GOOD that happens in the regular season means anything, but if something BAD happens in the regular season their heads explode.
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2019, 10:09 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: One series isn't going to determine how good or bad he is against true #1s.

(08-20-2019, 10:35 AM)PhilHos Wrote: Ben Roethlisberger and his 22 QB rating says, "Hi!"

(08-20-2019, 11:49 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Doesn't matter.  PDUB stated his opinion as an absolute.  Phil just corrected him.

(08-20-2019, 02:10 PM)PhilHos Wrote: Yep. You CAN win with bad QB play. It's HIGHLY unlikely and takes an massive effort from the rest of the team, but it CAN be done.

Only morons argue semantics and cannot connect obvious dots. This isn't a contract negotiation or court of law. It's a conversation. I clearly meant make the playoffs, win playoff games, and then win the Superbowl.

You mouth breathers are grossly wrong, so instead of swallowing whatever pride you pretend to have you inststead try and appear right by taking something out of context (only looking at one game when it takes many) to try and make yourselves feel better. That's called Straw man and it's argumentative baby talk.

Here's why I'm right on your take on this.... YOU also didn't list the games leading up to the Superbowl. In your fictional, made up, literal stories where one guy shows up and magically wins the Superbowl playing like trash, you're right. But, in reality, the Bengals have to win many games, several in a row, and poor QB play doesn't allow for that. And, even if it did, enjoy your 2 exceptions you found out of 50+ games. 

Keep wishing in one hand and crapping in the other. You're starting to get stinky.
Reply/Quote
(08-20-2019, 03:52 PM)PDub80 Wrote: Only morons argue semantics and cannot connect obvious dots. This isn't a contract negotiation or court of law. It's a conversation. I clearly meant make the playoffs, win playoff games, and then win the Superbowl.

You mouth breathers are grossly wrong, so instead of swallowing whatever pride you pretend to have you inststead try and appear right by taking something out of context (only looking at one game when it takes many) to try and make yourselves feel better. That's called Straw man and it's argumentative baby talk.

Here's why I'm right on your take on this.... YOU also didn't list the games leading up to the Superbowl. In your fictional, made up, literal stories where one guy shows up and magically wins the Superbowl playing like trash, you're right. But, in reality, the Bengals have to win many games, several in a row, and poor QB play doesn't allow for that. And, even if it did, enjoy your 2 exceptions you found out of 50+ games. 

Keep wishing in one hand and crapping in the other. You're starting to get stinky.

Don't know why you're adding my reply. I wasn't addressing anything you said. I was replying to FIK that one single drive isn't going to show how good or bad Finley is. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(08-20-2019, 03:52 PM)PDub80 Wrote: Only morons argue semantics and cannot connect obvious dots. This isn't a contract negotiation or court of law. It's a conversation. I clearly meant make the playoffs, win playoff games, and then win the Superbowl.

I don't know why your anti-semantic.  Mellow

Seriously, you made an erroneous statement and fred and I corrected you. That's not a strawman. You CAN win a Super Bowl with bad QB play. You said you CAN'T. 

But, what should I expect from someone who thinks a 4th Rd QB with absolutely 0 regular game experience is a better QB than a 9 year veteran QB with a winning record as a starter. 
Reply/Quote
(08-20-2019, 03:52 PM)PDub80 Wrote: YOU also didn't list the games leading up to the Superbowl. In your fictional, made up, literal stories where one guy shows up and magically wins the Superbowl playing like trash, you're right. But, in reality, the Bengals have to win many games, several in a row, and poor QB play doesn't allow for that. And, even if it did, enjoy your 2 exceptions you found out of 50+ games. 

Peyton Manning has won 2 Super Bowls.  In those 7 postseason games he averaged 224.7 yards per game, threw 3 more interceptions than tds, and had a 72.4 rating.

Brad Johnson won a Super Bowl in '02.  His postseason numbers were 223.3 yards per game and a 79.9 rating.

Trent Dilfer won a Super Bowl in '00.  His postseason numbers were 147.5 yards per game and a 83.7 rating.

When Terry Bradshaw won the '75 Super Bowl his postseason numbers were 175.7 yards per game, 3 tds, 5 ints, and a 68.4 rating.

And here are the postseason number for a bunch of QBs who took their team to the Super Bowl but did not win

Jaworski '80...…. 190.7 ypg, 38.3 rating
Schroeder '86.... 134.3 ypg, 60.4 rating
Esiason '88...….. 115.3 ypg, 48.0 rating
Kelly '91...……... 221.7 ypg, 53.1 rating
Humphries '94.. 238.7 ypg, 67.7 rating
O'Donnell '95.... 235.3 ypg, 61.6 rating
Bledsoe '96...…. 198.3 ypg, 54.3 rating
McNair '98...….. 128.5 ypg, 65.7 rating
Reply/Quote
This didn't take long....

[Image: tumblr_nmz43uky8c1rtim7ko1_500.gif]

Feel free to support my Film/TV Review YouTube Channel  - Youtube.Com/NaterTot
Reply/Quote
(08-20-2019, 05:05 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Peyton Manning has won 2 Super Bowls.  In those 7 postseason games he averaged 224.7 yards per game, threw 3 more interceptions than tds, and had a 72.4 rating.

Brad Johnson won a Super Bowl in '02.  His postseason numbers were 223.3 yards per game and a 79.9 rating.

Trent Dilfer won a Super Bowl in '00.  His postseason numbers were 147.5 yards per game and a 83.7 rating.

When Terry Bradshaw won the '75 Super Bowl his postseason numbers were 175.7 yards per game, 3 tds, 5 ints, and a 68.4 rating.

And here are the postseason number for a bunch of QBs who took their team to the Super Bowl but did not win

Jaworski '80...…. 190.7 ypg, 38.3 rating
Schroeder '86.... 134.3 ypg, 60.4 rating
Esiason '88...….. 115.3 ypg, 48.0 rating
Kelly '91...……... 221.7 ypg, 53.1 rating
Humphries '94.. 238.7 ypg, 67.7 rating
O'Donnell '95.... 235.3 ypg, 61.6 rating
Bledsoe '96...…. 198.3 ypg, 54.3 rating
McNair '98...….. 128.5 ypg, 65.7 rating

This.

I've said this time and time again, every time we get some 'young' QB in that everyone wants over Dalton. It's exhausting and annoying.

It takes a lot of other components to win. Crap, even Brady's recent SB wins...it's come with the TREMENDOUS help of defensive play. Lets not forget their defense last season, shutting down that stout Rams offense. His other win? He would've lost if it was for a tremendous interception (and a horrible offensive play call).

[Image: tumblr_nmz43uky8c1rtim7ko1_500.gif]

Feel free to support my Film/TV Review YouTube Channel  - Youtube.Com/NaterTot
Reply/Quote
(08-18-2019, 08:38 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: It wasn't like there was a hundred people on the board beating pots and pans together chanting, Jordan, Jordan ! Or all that many saying he's a stud and is the surefire next big thing.

But there were quite a few saying he's a Palmer he has to be good. I saw him play blah, blah and so on. I don't think it ever reached a Palmer bandwagon level but there were quite a few posts including his name.

Yeah I feel like we have to very specific to refresh people's memories, but no, people weren't saying JP should be "penciled in" as starter, but some really wanted to see him in the preseason and felt Dalton/Palmer/LeFevour should've all had an even shot to win the job. RunPee definitely had some fans. 

I guess I'd remember better than some others because I spent half that offseason debating "viva le fevour" and JP wasn't far behind on that.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote

No need for the name calling, but I get you point. You suggested you cannot win a Superbowl with bad QB play and others provided you examples of good QBs having a bad game in the Super Bowl. Most can see that is not the same thing.

Now Trent Dilfer might be an exception, but he is the exception, not the rule
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(08-20-2019, 02:10 PM)PhilHos Wrote: Yep. You CAN win with bad QB play. It's HIGHLY unlikely and takes an massive effort from the rest of the team, but it CAN be done.

Only a sith deals in absolutes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
(08-20-2019, 11:07 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Most NFL QB’s will slice you up if kept clean...

We’ve seen that enough when our DL can’t get home and some scrub rookie, or journeyman QB kills us.

There seems to be this perception that tons of teams have these dominant OL’s, and it’s just simply not true. There a few, but OL play has actually been down across the league for several years now.

There are stats on how much time a QB has to throw, and watching the games you can see that Dalton rarely has a pocket to step up in to.  Your comment about journeyman QBs is more a reflection of our defense, than the journeyman QB.  

Dalton has had what I would call a good line once in his career:  2015.  His stats were outstanding and he was being mentioned as a league MVP.  Piggy and Brady have ALWAYS had a good offensive line.  The comparison isn't even close.  Are you going to say those guys would enjoy the same success behind our line?  There is a reason Brady always takes less money and they rarely spend on a high-priced receiver.  He isn't stupid.  He would rather have the line.  
Reply/Quote
(08-21-2019, 08:43 PM)BenZoo2 Wrote: Only a sith deals in absolutes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Always two, there are. So the question remains: is PDub the apprentice ... or the master?

Smirk
Reply/Quote
(08-22-2019, 07:33 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: There are stats on how much time a QB has to throw, and watching the games you can see that Dalton rarely has a pocket to step up in to.  Your comment about journeyman QBs is more a reflection of our defense, than the journeyman QB.  

Dalton has had what I would call a good line once in his career:  2015.  His stats were outstanding and he was being mentioned as a league MVP.  Piggy and Brady have ALWAYS had a good offensive line.  The comparison isn't even close.  Are you going to say those guys would enjoy the same success behind our line?  There is a reason Brady always takes less money and they rarely spend on a high-priced receiver.  He isn't stupid.  He would rather have the line.  

Oh yeah 2015. I might have heard of this year once or twice.
Reply/Quote
(08-22-2019, 11:56 AM)Socal Bengals fan Wrote: Oh yeah 2015. I might have heard of this year once or twice.

And we accuse Steelers fans of bringing up the past too much...

Reply/Quote
(08-22-2019, 11:59 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: And we accuse Steelers fans of bringing up the past too much...

Smirk 

All some do is bring up AD's past, bad and good????
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(08-22-2019, 12:03 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Smirk 

All some do is bring up AD's past, bad and good????

I should have been more specific to - “past glories”

As sad as it is our biggest in recent history is 3/4 of a season that ended in multiple catastrophes (injured QB, playoff meltdown...)

I’d just as soon forget 2015, but that’s just me.

Reply/Quote