Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
The New "Ginger Genius"
(08-19-2019, 02:54 AM)SladeX Wrote: People who are not lazy can still benefit from competition.

No they don't.

That is why the Patriots got rid of Garropola.
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2019, 02:52 AM)SladeX Wrote: AD had a fire in his eyes that year he didn't have before, and an intensity. Something lit a fire under his butt. 

No he didn't.
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2019, 09:00 AM)fredtoast Wrote: No they don't.

That is why the Patriots got rid of Garropola.

They got rid of him because Tom Brady is showing no signs of being done anytime soon, and they decided to get something for JG.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(08-19-2019, 10:03 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: They got rid of him because Tom Brady is showing no signs of being done anytime soon, and they decided to get something for JG.

And all this time I thought it was because Brady uses some mysterious mental enhancement formula called the Vibrating Pliability Sphere...Yup, no doubt about it..Sounds legit.  Mellow
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(08-19-2019, 10:12 AM)grampahol Wrote: And all this time I thought it was because Brady uses some mysterious mental enhancement formula called the Vibrating Pliability Sphere...Yup, no doubt about it..Sounds legit.  Mellow

I really hope you’ll tell us what you’re putting in the old cough syrup one day gramps.

Reply/Quote
(08-19-2019, 09:02 AM)fredtoast Wrote: No he didn't.

Yes he did. Look no further than his MVP caliber season. I remember these things. I also remember Andy's reaction when AJM hit Green in stride for a TD. Do you?

So what was different in 2015? Hue was OC in 2014. What changed in Andys  NFL world was the QB2. Could be something in his personal life clicked within him to cause the shift. But I wouldn't know about that, I can only see the public side of his professional life.

Brady has the ultimate level of personal intensity few have, even among the ranks of professional athletes who all have a great degree of dedication. Andy Dalton is fit to carry Brady's clipboard, that's about it. Not dissing AD. Brady is quite possibly the best QB any of us will ever witness.
Go Benton Panthers!!
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2019, 08:43 AM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: Andy isn't lazy, he just seems like a good old fashioned family man who doesn't dedicate an extraordinary amount of time to his craft.

I don't mean this as a personal attack against Reuben, but it is funny how people come up with stuff like this.  None of us have any idea how hard Andy works compared to other NFL QBs.  He could be the laziest or he could be a total workaholic.  

All I know is that Dalton has never been the biggest QB or had the strongest arm.  So I assume he has had to work his ass off to get where he has. 
Reply/Quote
(08-17-2019, 07:21 PM)PDub80 Wrote: Here's what I love in this whole deal....

The Bengals have given AD a 1st rd TE, 2 1st rd WRs, a 2nd round WR, 3 1st round O-lineman, and a 2nd round O-lineman.

At what point is he just a bad leader and just a so so QB who was fortunate enough to have a ton of talent around him?

I mean, who can forget these inspiring gems of leadership? Sounds like the whole team is ready to go after it after he fires them up. Drew Brees, take note Hilarious ...

&

I don't think you have a clue about leadership.

*hint* There is a lot more to it than squealing the loudest.

My college team ran the old fashioned veer offense.  The QB runs a lot of pitch options.  That means the QB takes a lot of hits and gets injured a lot.  My freshman season we got down to our 4th QB by the end of the year.  The guy was a true freshman.  The first game he started he tried to give a pep talk, but he had a squeaky voice and it did not impress.  Then he went out and ran the offense absolutely fearlessly.  He took a couple of vicious hits and bounced right back up.  By the end of the year he was a clear leader on the offense.

Leadership is earned over time in the locker room and on the practice field.  Ray Lewis was fiery, but he was no more of a leader "Joe Cool" Montana.  NFL players are grown men, and it takes a lot more than squealing to earn their respect as a leader.  

Dalton led his high school team to the state championship game (that is a big deal in Texas).

Dalton led TCU to an undefeated season and a final ranking of #2 in the nation after they beat #4 Wisconsin in the Rose Bowl (in prime time)

Dalton led the Bengals to the playoffs as a rookie and four straight years after that.

All the evidence seems to indicate that Dalton has strong leadership skills.
Reply/Quote
(08-17-2019, 07:54 PM)PDub80 Wrote: Nowhere did I say or imply that all of the Bengals issues are 1 person's fault. The fact that you have to invent a position for me (straw man) rather than actually address my points just shows that I'm right. However, the QB position is by miles more important and influential than any on the field. You cannot win a Supwerbowl with bad QB play. There are plenty of games, 2 playoff games included, where AD should get the majority of the blame for the Bengals not winning. Strange how Hill, Burfict, and Jones get crapped on so hard for their 1 game meltdown, but AD misses a wide open target for a game winning TD (Texans) and has 4 turnovers in a row to start a 2nd half with the lead (Chargers) and people are quite forgiving. Why is that, I wonder?

Since you seem to struggle, here's a link to some reading comprehension classes: https://www.ixl.com/ela/topics?partner=google&campaign=179162635&adGroup=8821318675&gclid=Cj0KCQjwy97qBRDoARIsAITONTIESik_g7dRpwW0r4A9NNV-e8ec9XY-XXKf4Gy49LQg3usdZP7y6CAaAneIEALw_wcB

K-4th are on me should you decide to enhance yourself. This probably won't "miraculously fix everything", but it's a start. Just like changing a QB.

Post of the thread right here, well done Pdub, tired of people twisting and/or not reading what somebody is actually trying to say.
Confucius say, he who go to bed with itchy butt wake up with smelly finger.
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2019, 09:36 AM)corpjet Wrote: I know its pre season but how can you not like what you have seen from Ryan Finley.

Yes it wasn't against the ones, but the kid has looked poised in the pocket, makes the throws he should and has the prototypical size for a NFL Quarterback.  He doesn't have a cannon for an arm but I think we are looking at our future QB and don't see us resigning Andy.

With all that said we need to fix the misfit O-line next year in the draft and free agency.  The "island of misfit" toys as I call it is an embarrassment.  We have whiffed on o-lineman taken early (Ced, J Fish, Price) but we need to build from the trenches out.

Call me optimistic but I think Finley will be more than serviceable once we can get some protection and save $$$ while having him on his rookie contract.  Use Andys $$$ if we need to go out and spend for a "book end" tackle.

I think it would make more sense to keep Dalton, not sign AJ Green, and use THAT money to sign a book end tackle.  When kept clean, Dalton is a surgeon, and he has done it in regular season games consistently for years now.  
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2019, 01:09 PM)SladeX Wrote: So what was different in 2015? Hue was OC in 2014. What changed in Andys  NFL world was the QB2. Could be something in his personal life clicked within him to cause the shift. But I wouldn't know about that, I can only see the public side of his professional life.

Couldn't possibly have had anything to do with this.

2014 Eifert......3 catches.....37 yards...0 td
2015 Eifert....52 catches...615 yards...13 td

2014 Marvin Jones....0 catches......0 yards....0 tds
2015 Marvin Jones...65 catches...816 yards...4 tds

A J also missed 3 games in 2014.  In 2014 Greg Little, Dane Sanzenbacher, and Rex Freakin Burkhead all STARTED games at WR for us.  

Now I have a question for you.  Who was Dalton's back up QB in 2016?
Reply/Quote
Guys remember Andy in 2015!!!! MVP caliber year.
Reply/Quote
(08-17-2019, 07:54 PM)PDub80 Wrote: You cannot win a Supwerbowl with bad QB play
Ben Roethlisberger and his 22 QB rating says, "Hi!"
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(08-20-2019, 09:46 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I think it would make more sense to keep Dalton, not sign AJ Green, and use THAT money to sign a book end tackle.  When kept clean, Dalton is a surgeon, and he has done it in regular season games consistently for years now.  

Most NFL QB’s will slice you up if kept clean...

We’ve seen that enough when our DL can’t get home and some scrub rookie, or journeyman QB kills us.

There seems to be this perception that tons of teams have these dominant OL’s, and it’s just simply not true. There a few, but OL play has actually been down across the league for several years now.

Reply/Quote
(08-20-2019, 10:35 AM)PhilHos Wrote: Ben Roethlisberger and his 22 QB rating says, "Hi!"

Is that a rare exception, or a common occurrence?

*rhetorical question*

Reply/Quote
(08-20-2019, 11:09 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Is that a rare exception, or a common occurrence?

*rhetorical question*

Doesn't matter.  PDUB stated his opinion as an absolute.  Phil just corrected him.
Reply/Quote
(08-20-2019, 11:09 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Is that a rare exception, or a common occurrence?

*rhetorical question*

(08-20-2019, 11:49 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Doesn't matter.  PDUB stated his opinion as an absolute.  Phil just corrected him.

Yep. You CAN win with bad QB play. It's HIGHLY unlikely and takes an massive effort from the rest of the team, but it CAN be done.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(08-20-2019, 02:10 PM)PhilHos Wrote: Yep. You CAN win with bad QB play. It's HIGHLY unlikely and takes an massive effort from the rest of the team, but it CAN be done.

I have a hunch you can also lose with great QB play in the Super Bowl. The use of always and never have a tendency to be 100% wrong unless it is something an individual can personally  control.  Tongue   Smirk
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
Tom Brady in '17 Super Bowl loss.....505 yds, 115.4 rating, 3 tds
Tom Brady in '18 Super Bowl win......262 yds, 71.4 rating, 0 tds
Reply/Quote
(08-17-2019, 08:09 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote:  

FWIW, my opinion is that the road to winning starts at the top.  The front office has to be fully committed to winning a championship, be willing to make all the right moves as far as personnel goes, and set a tone that resonates throughout the entire organization.  Our folks at the top took a big step this year, by hiring a fresh, young personality to lead the team.  I'm not totally convinced that the front office is committed yet, as they failed to do much in terms of personnel acquisitions on the open market.  Maybe they're waiting to see what Zac Taylor does with the hand he's been dealt?  We'll have to wait and see.

Bingo. Except I dont see the change of coaching staff as a big step. A step for sure but not a big one. they did it out of necessity and not desire to win a championship. The management of this team has to change a lot for us to really compete at the high level.
Fredtoast + Ignore = Forum bliss

Reply/Quote