Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
The New "Ginger Genius"
(08-17-2019, 01:35 PM)Yogo Wrote: I like Andy a lot. He really does gives us the best chance to be competitive, but if he is going to become a trade piece, Washington would be a good partner. I bet Jay would love to have him this year. Maybe a nice OT in return too.

They drafted Haskins, and have Keenum. There’s no room on their roster for him.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
I'm not on the Finley bandwagon yet, but it's an interesting "development" if you can call two games that.

If he's for real, then that opens a door that few teams have the opportunity to exploit. Getting a good qb in the middle rounds means you have a cheap qb for a few years. It means you can build a roster around him without him eating your cap. See LA and Seattle. Is Mike Brown going to do that even given the opportunity? Who knows?

What I do know is that Dak Prescott thinks he should get 40 mil per year. He's not what I consider a top tier qb. He's upper middle at best. He's going to get 35 mil minimum. Andy is probably lower middle at this point. I like the guy, and for the right price, he's not a bad player to run your offense.

That said, there's no way in hell I want to pay him 30 mil a year to be Andy Dalton. Just no. Especially no if the team sucks (it probably will) and ends up with a top 5 pick in 2020. Also no if Finley gets playing time and shows that he can handle it.

All I can say is, I'm rolling with Andy until the season is totally lost, but after that I may want to see more from Finley to make a decision.
Reply/Quote
I know game 3 of the preseason is a "dress rehearsal" of sorts, but by all means pull Dalton a little earlier than usual and give Finley some reps with first team in a live game.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
If anything, they need to keep the first team units out there as long as it takes for them to get everything right consistently. Remember they are breaking in a new system and this is the opportunity to run it without it counting.
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2019, 09:54 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: this crap cant really be starting again can it?

TheBengalsBoard anytime there is a new backup QB:

[Image: anigif_enhanced-32707-1430163354-21.gif]

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2019, 12:26 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I don't log onto the internet because I want to be reasonable.

LMAO
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(08-17-2019, 12:46 PM)PhilHos Wrote: Wow. Your argument is so effusive and persuasive. How could I have never seen it any other way? I am literally humbled by the sheer beauty and logic of your response. The most beautiful aria sung by the greatest opera singer in history does not compare to your argument. I thank you for sharing it with us. Now, I must excuse myself as the tears in my eyes and the dullness of all the other posts on this forum makes it difficult to read. 

Adieu.

Sarcasm

Well I was amazed and dumbfounded by the post and "OK" is really all I could come up with. Earlier you join in with the YPA criticism of Finley's preseason game and with the same keyboard state passer rating doesn't matter in preseason. I was at a loss for words.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
I liked seeing Finley's pocket awareness which is a rare ability.

Maybe he could be something decent as a backup.

Should be better than AJ McCarron who held onto the ball all damn day.

Still, the backup QB battles are always humorous to me. Dalton is our guy and he should have a great season.

His best to date, but there will still be the haters pretty much however he plays.
Reply/Quote
(08-17-2019, 05:44 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I liked seeing Finley's pocket awareness which is a rare ability.

Maybe he could be something decent as a backup.

Should be better than AJ McCarron who held onto the ball all damn day.

Still, the backup QB battles are always humorous to me. Dalton is our guy and he should have a great season.

His best to date, but there will still be the haters pretty much however he plays.

Finley shows a ton of promise with his pocket awareness, recognizing the blitz, stepping up and so on. What we need to see a lot more of is him playing against 1's, his accuracy beyond 15 yards, handling himself in crunch time etc.

He sure looks like he's got a lot of upside. But does he really ? It's way to early to call Joe Montana 2.0
Reply/Quote
(08-17-2019, 12:24 PM)McC Wrote: I will admit that I have reached my limit of seeing the same thing over and over again and my ability to ignore broken record bullshit has been recently compromised.  This is when I would typically stay away for a few days and come back refreshed at a later date.  

Have a coke & a smile. The worst days lie ahead.
If you see something suspicious, say something suspicious.

Reply/Quote
(08-17-2019, 12:48 PM)Junglejuice Wrote: This is false.

I was at the game where the fans finally turned on Fitzpatrick vs Baltimore and started chanting Jordan.

He came in and proceeded to throw a pick 6 in his first series.

The JP talk on the board flared up when Fitz wheels struggled.

So while technically not a preseason love fest still the fan base love affair with whomever was next off the bench.

Our fan base cheered when Ken Anderson was injured so they could watch the failure of the Throwing Samoan.
It's the nature of the beast.

Most fans favorite QB is the backup.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2019, 09:54 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: this crap cant really be starting again can it?

It's never too late to pretend a guy who isn't going to be a starter short of injuries is going to be THE preeminent player of his generation.  ThumbsUp 
That aside, some of the best known QB's in the league don't and didn't have cannon arms. They understand the position better.
Not to compare Findlay to Tom Brady (I'm doing no such thing), but few people are going to claim Brady has the strongest arm in all of football..  
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
Here's what I love in this whole deal....

The Bengals have given AD a 1st rd TE, 2 1st rd WRs, a 2nd round WR, 3 1st round O-lineman, and a 2nd round O-lineman.

At what point is he just a bad leader and just a so so QB who was fortunate enough to have a ton of talent around him?

I mean, who can forget these inspiring gems of leadership? Sounds like the whole team is ready to go after it after he fires them up. Drew Brees, take note Hilarious ...

&

Reply/Quote
(08-17-2019, 07:21 PM)PDub80 Wrote: Here's what I love in this whole deal....

The Bengals have given AD a 1st rd TE, 2 1st rd WRs, a 2nd round WR, 3 1st round O-lineman, and a 2nd round O-lineman.

At what point is he just a bad leader and just a so so QB who was fortunate enough to have a ton of talent around him?

I mean, who can forget these inspiring gems of leadership? Sounds like the whole team is ready to go after it after he fires them up. Drew Brees, take note Hilarious ...

&

Hmm, seems to me that most people that try to pin all of a team's woes on a single player are either mentally challenged, spend too much time on Bengals FB pages, or simply rely on worthless hopes and prayers that one player change will miraculously fix everything that is wrong with a team, and instantly make them World Champions.   Rolleyes

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(08-17-2019, 06:09 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Finley shows a ton of promise with his pocket awareness, recognizing the blitz, stepping up and so on. What we need to see a lot more of is him playing against 1's, his accuracy beyond 15 yards, handling himself in crunch time etc.

He sure looks like he's got a lot of upside. But does he really ? It's way to early to call Joe Montana 2.0

Those are great traits in a QB that is for sure.

I never have liked the Dalton hate and thinks he gets more than he deserves but at times he has panicked in the pocket. This and his performance in big games are my main criticisms of Dalton. Dalton is not the problem with this team though and he never has been. Hoping Finley becomes the next Joe Montana but my bet is on Dalton having a great season and hopefully in a year or two leads us to the Lombardi. 

It was refreshing seeing a QB in stripes being comfortable in the pocket and stepping up and making throws regardless of who is in his face. Think Finley does have a lot of upside cause of this. One thing Brady does is step up and make the throw regardless, no panic. This is what we need to see from our QB.
Reply/Quote
(08-17-2019, 07:19 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: This is Kenny Anderson's 1980 season his 10th in the league:

60.4 completion % 1778 yards 6 TD's 13 interceptions

Here's 1981:

62.2 completion %  3754 yards 29 TD's 10 interceptions

1982 the strike shortened season like 9 games total:

70.6 completion% 2495 yards 12 TD's 9 interceptions

In 74, 75, and 76 his like 4-6th years in the league he was a highly regarded QB went to a couple pro bowls, set records.

In 78, 79, 80 the team was winning 4 and 5 games a season he had some injury issues, stats fell off and everybody wanted him out. This is but one example there are many others.

To proclaim AD is washed up, done, kaput, he should retire and there's no way he'll ever surpass 2015 is a little nuts.

Kenny Anderson is borderline Hall of Fame from 4 decades ago. Andy's not come close to the 2015 season. Not before leading up to it and not after. If he was on an upswing, I would be all about it. If he came out lights out this preseason, I would be all about it. But... he hasn't and I would be 100% A-OK with dumping the old guard when they have guys who deserve a legitimate shot. If Ross was any good, that goes for AJ Green as well.

If AD lights it up in 2019, I will be all about it! I am a Bengals fan and don't want any of them to fail. I just think that Finley should be given snaps and a genuine shot at developing because when you look at the body of work, age, looming contract extension, etc the current QB is NOT a long term "winning it all" option and the longer you keep that guy around the longer it will take to get on the right track upwards. 

In all seriousness, I am not sitting here saying to cut Dalton or whatever. And I don't see a huge benefit to Finley starting this season and being thrown into the fire. But, I do feel that a QB competition should be a legitimate thing when you have a QB who isn't awesome and a clear cut bad ass.

Look, all any of us have to go off of is what has happened in real life. So far, Ryan Finley has been the best rookie QB by a mile (see video link below). I like that and think he deserves some snaps with the first team in one of the preseason games or... OR... if the season looks like a lost cause 3/4ths of the way through. On the flip side, the point of the new offense and Dalton needing snaps is a valid one. I just don't know if that wins me over all warm and fuzzy seeing that this is the end of Dalton's deal, his age, etc and the perfect time to move on.

The link video below should get people excited at Finley's long term potential. It's only two games, of course. But, it's ONLY his first two games should make his play even more intriguing. That's an amazing, exciting starting point and I'm excited about the fact that he SHOULD get better as his rookie year progresses. The current starting QB is an A+ human being and I wish he would have been as talented on the field as he is a person. The Bengals would have won 8 straight titles.

https://www.bengals.com/video/why-cincinnati-bengals-quarterback-ryan-finley-has-had-the-best-rookie-qb-perfor
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2019, 12:01 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Off topic.  When I coached little league, I once had a 9 year old player that could throw 70 mph.  As a coach, there's nothing quite like the first time you have a 9 y/o throw the ball to you, at 70 mph, from 15 feet away.  Catching that ball was more an act of self defense..   LOL

Been there done that. LOL
Reply/Quote
(08-17-2019, 07:38 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Hmm, seems to me that most people that try to pin all of a team's woes on a single player are either mentally challenged, spend too much time on Bengals FB pages, or simply rely on worthless hopes and prayers that one player change will miraculously fix everything that is wrong with a team, and instantly make them World Champions.   Rolleyes

Nowhere did I say or imply that all of the Bengals issues are 1 person's fault. The fact that you have to invent a position for me (straw man) rather than actually address my points just shows that I'm right. However, the QB position is by miles more important and influential than any on the field. You cannot win a Supwerbowl with bad QB play. There are plenty of games, 2 playoff games included, where AD should get the majority of the blame for the Bengals not winning. Strange how Hill, Burfict, and Jones get crapped on so hard for their 1 game meltdown, but AD misses a wide open target for a game winning TD (Texans) and has 4 turnovers in a row to start a 2nd half with the lead (Chargers) and people are quite forgiving. Why is that, I wonder?

Since you seem to struggle, here's a link to some reading comprehension classes: https://www.ixl.com/ela/topics?partner=google&campaign=179162635&adGroup=8821318675&gclid=Cj0KCQjwy97qBRDoARIsAITONTIESik_g7dRpwW0r4A9NNV-e8ec9XY-XXKf4Gy49LQg3usdZP7y6CAaAneIEALw_wcB

K-4th are on me should you decide to enhance yourself. This probably won't "miraculously fix everything", but it's a start. Just like changing a QB.
Reply/Quote
(08-17-2019, 07:54 PM)PDub80 Wrote: Nowhere did I say or imply that all of the Bengals issues are 1 person's fault. The fact that you have to invent a position for me (straw man) rather than actually address my points just shows that I'm right. However, the QB position is by miles more important and influential than any on the field. You cannot win a Supwerbowl with bad QB play. There are plenty of games, 2 playoff games included, where AD should get the majority of the blame for the Bengals not winning. Strange how Hill, Burfict, and Jones get crapped on so hard for their 1 game meltdown, but AD misses a wide open target for a game winning TD (Texans) and has 4 turnovers in a row to start a 2nd half with the lead (Chargers) and people are quite forgiving. Why is that, I wonder?

Since you seem to struggle, here's a link to some reading comprehension classes: https://www.ixl.com/ela/topics?partner=google&campaign=179162635&adGroup=8821318675&gclid=Cj0KCQjwy97qBRDoARIsAITONTIESik_g7dRpwW0r4A9NNV-e8ec9XY-XXKf4Gy49LQg3usdZP7y6CAaAneIEALw_wcB

K-4th are on me should you decide to enhance yourself. This probably won't "miraculously fix everything", but it's a start. Just like changing a QB.

If simply changing QBs worked well, Cleveland should have won at least a dozen Super Bowls, since being re-introduced as a team, by now..

FWIW, my opinion is that the road to winning starts at the top.  The front office has to be fully committed to winning a championship, be willing to make all the right moves as far as personnel goes, and set a tone that resonates throughout the entire organization.  Our folks at the top took a big step this year, by hiring a fresh, young personality to lead the team.  I'm not totally convinced that the front office is committed yet, as they failed to do much in terms of personnel acquisitions on the open market.  Maybe they're waiting to see what Zac Taylor does with the hand he's been dealt?  We'll have to wait and see.

Or, maybe the longer term plan is to let Andy play out his contract, and then go after the next franchise QB?  Who knows, maybe Zac Taylor told the management that Andy is a fine QB, and he was willing to work with him?

Regardless of which possibility is the truth, one thing is true.  This team has too many holes to be transformed by adding one "great" QB.  Football is a team sport, it requires 22 players committed and capable of winning, as well as competent depth to cover injuries.  So, unless your new QB can cover TEs and defend the screen pass, I'll continue to just think that you're full of shit.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(08-17-2019, 07:42 PM)PDub80 Wrote: In all seriousness, I am not sitting here saying to cut Dalton or whatever. And I don't see a huge benefit to Finley starting this season and being thrown into the fire. But, I do feel that a QB competition should be a legitimate thing when you have a QB who isn't awesome and a clear cut bad ass.
Good to hear you say that. 
Like I said a day or two ago, I've been a fairly big AD supporter. I think there's been waaaayy more problems thru the last several seasons including the playoff streak than just AD. And that's the very condensed version.

I believe most of us here know pretty much what AD is, or rather has been up to this point. I don't think anybody here thinks he's going to morph into a mixture of Tom Brady, P. Manning, Joe Montana and John Elway and just take the NFL by storm throwing for 5,500 yards and 50 TD's leading the team on his back to an undefeated season and Super Bowl title.

I do believe though that he's a capable QB and has earned a right to another shot. And there's no need to as you say throw Finley in the fire. If AD comes out this season and stinks it up I'm in no way opposed to start looking at other options.

Like I've said before as well I like a lot of what I've seen out of Finley, in fact I'm pretty pumped !

It's just that now isn't the time.
Reply/Quote