Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
The New "Ginger Genius"
here is the worse case scenario for the next 30 months.....

Dalton starts all year (we know its going to be a long one, we will struggle to 4-12) and we don't resign him

We give the keys to Finley in 2020 while drafting another OT in the first rd. to help the line, We finish 2020 no better and repeat 4-12

We take this high draft pick in 2021 and hope like hell Trevor Lawrence falls to us......
"We have been sentenced to life in the prison that is a Bengals fan and we are going to serve out our time"
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2019, 06:35 PM)corpjet Wrote: here is the worse case scenario for the next 30 months.....

Dalton starts all year (we know its going to be a long one, we will struggle to 4-12) and we don't resign him

We give the keys to Finley in 2020 while drafting another OT in the first rd. to help the line, We finish 2020 no better and repeat 4-12

We take this high draft pick in 2021 and hope like hell Trevor Lawrence falls to us......

My man... That is far from the worst case scenario.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2019, 06:00 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Yes, cold showers were definitely needed for anyone who ever thought McCarron was ready to supplant QB14.

The main people who overvalued the hell out of McCarron were Hue Jackson and Mike Brown.  Compared to them, even the craziest message board poster seemed quite sane.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Wait, stats like a really good dink and dunk game manager equals a hopeful ceiling of Alex Smith. We haven't seen him stretch the field yet. Doable for a QB2 though.
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2019, 05:40 PM)XsandOs Wrote: True. His head is fine, now the body has to respond. Nervous feet and narrow base, on throws.

But he showed that he can manage a huddle, and grind.

And that is the main point. Driskel got plenty of regular season exposure.

How does Finley get the same?

The hope obviously is that he doesn't. Unless he gets in during garbage time....just not sure if there will be games where we are up by 4 touchdowns with 5 minutes left. Unfortunately, the opposite may happen.

Right, the tendons used in throwing will only get you so much.  Once they work with him on opening those hips, getting the lower body more involved, those "slightly behind the receiver" throws should cease.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Anticipation, awareness, and composure. Those are some really nice traits to have especially for a rookie.

I don't think he will ever have a huge cannon arm, and at his age I am not expecting a huge increase, but I think his arm will get a little stronger as he takes advantage of the perks of being a professional QB. Plenty strong enough to win with.
Reply/Quote
Two weeks ago there were people on here who legit didn't think Ryan Finley should even make the team, now we're pining for him to start after 2 preseason games.
Reply/Quote
I have watched NFL football a long time. Preseason stars rarely show the same way in the regular season. Like what I saw, but this in know way effects Dalton for Week 1. If he stinks it up 6-8 games in, maybe ZT does something. Chances are he would no matter who QB2 is. A few preseason games will not unseat Dalton, period.
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2019, 06:35 PM)corpjet Wrote: here is the worse case scenario for the next 30 months.....

What are you talking about?

There is absolutely no way we win 4 games, give me a break
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2019, 06:34 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: PDub is running around here bashing Dalton left and right. Why aren't you bothering him? 

I've never even said he was a bad QB. You just have this obsession about me and my thoughts on Dalton right now, for some reason.

I'd prefer you didn't get your boners from my posts.  Mellow
Fred woke up with a headache meant to take two red pills for it and took two blue pills by accident.
Reply/Quote
I'm just going to go ahead and put it all out there and leave it at this: My new AVATAR communicates my feelings on the matter perfectly.
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2019, 09:54 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: this crap cant really be starting again can it?

We’re catching the LeFevour...
Through 2023

Mike Brown’s Owner/GM record: 32 years  223-303-4  .419 winning pct.
Playoff Record:  5-9, .357 winning pct.  
Zac Taylor coaching record, reg. season:  37-44-1. .455 winning pct.
Playoff Record: 5-2, .714 winning pct.
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2019, 07:49 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: What are you talking about?

There is absolutely no way we win 4 games, give me a break

Tru. If the team stays healthy, they will compete for a playoff spot. There's plenty of talent and a QB that can get you there in the regular season. 

I'm not gonna lie...it would be pretty nice to see what Dalton might do under this coaching staff after a full season. 

Injuries, as always, will determine their record this year. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
The sample size of evidence for the OP's opinion is quite limited. I agree, Finley looks like he belongs and exceeded expectations by his performance in two games. His pocket awareness is second nature and his composure and evasion seems like a seasoned veteran. I also noticed that his demeanor is calm and the 2nd team unit appeared more cohesive with better chemistry.

There are many variables for these observations. Talent of the opposing team is inferior to 1st stringers. Bengals may simply have better back-up players. Different play calling and better results on some rushing plays would bring safeties closer to the LOS. Price in at Center was a difference maker compared to Hopkins.

What I like about Finley is that he makes the throws he should make and I like the ball placement spots to give his WR a chance to make the catch. He did have 2-3 poorly thrown balls behind the WR. Finley makes me feel more confident that if Dalton were to go down, he could step in and keep the Bengals competitive, something I did not feel with Driskel.

Nevertheless, he will be 25 years of age in December. I wonder how much more he can improve. Dalton will start and hopefully finish the year and will still have another year on his contract. I say the Bengals still draft a QB next year in round 1-2 and keep Dalton until his contract expires at the end of 2020.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
Let’s put Ryan Finley in for a series with the first team offense against a first team defense and then we’ll know what we really have. We all remember a few preseasons ago when AJ McCarron tore up the preseason opponents playing with the second team offense against their second team defenses — and half the board was ready to ditch Andy Dalton. That was 2015 when Dalton had his best year ever and when he went down, AJ McCarron filled in admirably but he was never as good against first team defenses as he was against second team defenses in preseason.

I’m ecstatic Ryan Finley is doing well but let’s make sure he can kick butt against the best of the best.
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2019, 09:47 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Let’s put Ryan Finley in for a series with the first team offense against a first team defense and then we’ll know what we really have.  We all remember a few preseasons ago when AJ McCarron tore up the preseason opponents playing with the second team offense against their second team defenses — and half the board was ready to ditch Andy Dalton.  That was 2015 when Dalton had his best year ever and when he went down, AJ McCarron filled in admirably but he was never as good against first team defenses as he was against second team defenses in preseason.

I’m ecstatic Ryan Finley is doing well but let’s make sure he can kick butt against the best of the best.

Sounds good. I wonder if he can top that 25 passer rating our starter put up against the starters last week. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(08-16-2019, 09:50 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Sounds good. I wonder if he can top that 25 passer rating our starter put up against the starters last week. 

There’s only one way to find out. Let’s put the kid in early just for a series.
Reply/Quote
So once Delagagaga plays will we be bumping Dalton to 3rd string? Im done with Dalton, but would still prefer to see these backups other than Driskel with the first string before screaming they should start. Are we ever going to let Delgalalala play this pre season since he's so great? He injured?
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2019, 09:52 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: There’s only one way to find out.  Let’s put the kid in early just for a series.

One series isn't going to determine how good or bad he is against true #1s.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2019, 09:47 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Let’s put Ryan Finley in for a series with the first team offense against a first team defense and then we’ll know what we really have. We all remember a few preseasons ago when AJ McCarron tore up the preseason opponents playing with the second team offense against their second team defenses — and half the board was ready to ditch Andy Dalton. That was 2015 when Dalton had his best year ever and when he went down, AJ McCarron filled in admirably but he was never as good against first team defenses as he was against second team defenses in preseason.

To be fair AJ had the Bengals their first playoff win in forever till Hill and Burfict screwed it up. But AJ showed once he went else where that he was not what many thought he was.
Reply/Quote