Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
The One: Rumblings of OBJ to the Bengals
Message sent, message received.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/06/14/will-the-bengals-make-a-play-for-obj/
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
Beckham in his prime was a bonafide elite receiver. One severe ankle injury and two torn ACLs later, he isn't the dominant presence he once was. During his time on the Rams, I don't remember hearing anything about him. Obviously his time in Cleveland was mired in controversy. I don't think this happens - not a lockerroom fit and I am skeptical of his ability after yet another major injury. We also have to remember - there is only one ball to go around. He would be, at best, the fourth option, and rotate in behind Chase. If he takes fourth option money, then it could work but I wouldn't be expecting the OBJ we are all familiar with.
Reply/Quote
He won't even be ready until the last month of the season.
Reply/Quote
can’t stand that dude
Reply/Quote
(06-14-2022, 12:21 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: Beckham in his prime was a bonafide elite receiver. One severe ankle injury and two torn ACLs later, he isn't the dominant presence he once was. During his time on the Rams, I don't remember hearing anything about him. Obviously his time in Cleveland was mired in controversy. I don't think this happens - not a lockerroom fit and I am skeptical of his ability after yet another major injury. We also have to remember - there is only one ball to go around. He would be, at best, the fourth option, and rotate in behind Chase. If he takes fourth option money, then it could work but I wouldn't be expecting the OBJ we are all familiar with.

I don't see them giving Beckham the money he's going to want. Plus, he'd have to play behind our starting 3. He's too much a diva to accept that. 
Reply/Quote
(06-14-2022, 12:34 PM)Sled21 Wrote: I don't see them giving Beckham the money he's going to want. Plus, he'd have to play behind our starting 3. He's too much a diva to accept that. 

I agree. This would be a way different story if this was a few years ago but he is going to be 30 before he plays again, and has two torn ACLs and a surgically repaired ankle. 
Reply/Quote
(06-14-2022, 12:46 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: I agree. This would be a way different story if this was a few years ago but he is going to be 30 before he plays again, and has two torn ACLs and a surgically repaired ankle. 

Agree

I wouldn't mind bringing him in as insurance, take a flyer, however you want to put it ? With him taking #4 or #5 money. But like you say I highly doubt he's gonna take that offer or sit that much.
Reply/Quote
(06-14-2022, 12:13 PM)jj22 Wrote: Message sent, message received.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/06/14/will-the-bengals-make-a-play-for-obj/

i mean will he even be healthy before the seasons over? he just had surgery on ACL 2/22/22

Plus i wouldnt pay top dollar for a 4th WR or take Boyd. Higgins Chase off the field for more than a play or two while they catch their breath... Can get that guy much much cheaper/Healthier than OBJ
Reply/Quote
The author of that article is Mike Florio, the king of thinking out loud and spitballing for clicks and views. I would not take any of it seriously.

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote
(06-14-2022, 12:21 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: Beckham in his prime was a bonafide elite receiver. One severe ankle injury and two torn ACLs later, he isn't the dominant presence he once was. During his time on the Rams, I don't remember hearing anything about him. Obviously his time in Cleveland was mired in controversy. I don't think this happens - not a lockerroom fit and I am skeptical of his ability after yet another major injury. We also have to remember - there is only one ball to go around. He would be, at best, the fourth option, and rotate in behind Chase. If he takes fourth option money, then it could work but I wouldn't be expecting the OBJ we are all familiar with.

Being fair, OBJ tore it up in the playoffs last year with 316 yards and 2 TD's in basically 3-1/2 games.  So, he did flash some of that elite form last year.

He's not an elite WR1 anymore, but he could realistically fill in competently for any of the Big 3 and our WR depth is horrible right now.  And OBJ vs a LB, S, or #4 CB is still a huge mismatch in 4 WR sets.  
Reply/Quote
Burrow in empty sets with Beckam, Boyd Chase , and Higgins!?!?!?! My God
Reply/Quote
(06-14-2022, 12:53 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: i mean will he even be healthy before the seasons over? he just had surgery on ACL 2/22/22

Plus i wouldnt pay top dollar for a 4th WR or take Boyd. Higgins Chase off the field for more than a play or two while they catch their breath... Can get that guy much much cheaper/Healthier than OBJ

Probably
Reply/Quote
(06-14-2022, 12:54 PM)George Cantstandya Wrote: The author of that article is Mike Florio, the king of thinking out loud and spitballing for clicks and views.  I would not take any of it seriously.

He is going by a little bit of a back and forth between Burrow/OBJ.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
I would not go after OBJ. He is not very good anymore and would disrupt the locker room. Let Cleveland take him back.
Who Dey!  Tiger
Reply/Quote
(06-14-2022, 01:47 PM)jj22 Wrote: He is going by a little bit of a back and forth between Burrow/OBJ.

Yep like I said, thinking out loud and spitballing for clicks.  And doesn't appear to be a back and forth. Burrow posted something I guess on Instgram from what I can tell and OBJ posted one thing in response. That isn't really a back and forth.

I don't have an Instagram account but I guess this is Burrow's post they are talking about.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CewcM6MJEDa/

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote
Most people/media just don’t look at the financial dynamics of moves like this. It’s always about the money. How best to spend it. I don’t see Taylor or the Browns/Tobin pulling that trigger. Right now they are holding back at the outside chance they resign Bates and it’s financial impact
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
I'm good. Not enough balls to go around.
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(06-14-2022, 01:59 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: I'm good. Not enough balls to go around.

Yeah, and I'm not sure I want OBJ's diva like attitude permeating our WR corp, which right now is pretty humble and team first.
Reply/Quote
(06-14-2022, 12:34 PM)Sled21 Wrote: I don't see them giving Beckham the money he's going to want. Plus, he'd have to play behind our starting 3. He's too much a diva to accept that. 

Same way I feel. Don't want him here no matter how talented he is. 

Reminds me of the TO situation and we saw how that played out.
Reply/Quote
(06-14-2022, 01:58 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: Most people/media just don’t look at the financial dynamics of moves like this. It’s always about the money. How best to spend it. I don’t see Taylor or the Browns/Tobin pulling that trigger. Right now they are holding back at the outside chance they resign Bates and it’s financial impact

Bates isn't getting resigned. The Bengals don't pay safetys and they already drafted his replacement... That ship has sailed. I believe he will play on the tag though. They always do..
Reply/Quote