Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
The difference with this Free agent haul
(03-26-2020, 02:32 PM)fredtoast Wrote: First, Green is not a "generational" talent (never finished higher than 5th in receptions, yards, or tds.)

Calvin Johnson WAS a "generational" talent.  How many receptions did he have when he was 32?

he is a generational talent because he made dalton look like he could play

[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2020, 02:27 PM)bengaloo Wrote: When AJ started light practice again, the players and coaches were raving about how amazing he looked. I have no doubt he couldve played last season, but by the time he could, what was the point? AJ is going to be very healthy and hungry this coming season. He's far from done yet. Its not like he blew out his knees. None of his injuries have been remotely close to that. Whether he does in fact play here, or they deal him to another team, I expect this borderline HOF WR to have a big season.

Wasn’t the reason that he didn’t play after that amazing practice because of swelling? The thing that gets me about posters on here is that many are ready to negotiate a long term contract like they know that AJ won’t have lingering problems. There’s probably as much of a chance that he will. I beat on Fred a lot too but he was right that AJ isn’t a generational player. He’s been a great Bengal but he’s just been a very good receiver in the league.
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2020, 02:06 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: I'll make the assumption that the OP was talking about external free agents, as paying older internal players ins't all that unusual with the Bengals

Of course i was.. Negative Nancy had to get a dig in.
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2020, 02:39 PM)Joelist Wrote: Actually we did "overpay" (a meaningless term) for Reader but by doing so we served notice that we were willing to pay to get better players. And that helped us with subsequent contracts.

As to this haul, they are younger players entering or about to enter their primes. Also, there is clearly a plan in operation here and line one on it seems to be "fix the bad tackling" and line two is "improve run defense". Even our new Guard is suggestive of a plan - he has played well in a zone blocking scheme which suggests they still want to use that scheme but now recognize they have to have the correct players to implement it.

"fix the bad tackling" This seems to be at the forefront.
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2020, 05:06 PM)WhoDey Wrote: Of course i was.. Negative Nancy had to get a dig in.

Fred is a strange bird. Mellow

Cannot believe any Bengals fan would not be extremely happy with this FA haul.
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2020, 12:40 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Except for the $19 million we guaranteed to a 32-year-old WR who has not played in two years.

Fred you are too damn funny!!! Hilarious

Reply/Quote
(03-26-2020, 05:10 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Fred is a strange bird. Mellow

Not happy unless they are complaining about something. I have former friends that were the same way.
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2020, 02:44 PM)McC Wrote: Fred on a buzzkill mission.  God forbid a Bengal fan should ever feel good about anything.  The cure is Fred around running from thread to thread intent on wiping smiles off faces of Bengal fans everywhere.  

lighten up Larry. He was just stating what he feels about AJ!!
At least thats what you all tell me!! Wink

Reply/Quote
(03-26-2020, 03:41 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: Was that not the smart move for one year?  

for the tag it was. He either produces this year or he will be let go!!!

Reply/Quote
(03-26-2020, 05:16 PM)RASCAL Wrote: lighten up Larry. He was just stating what he feels about AJ!!
At least thats what you all tell me!! Wink

Are you his spokesman?
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(03-26-2020, 05:34 PM)McC Wrote: Are you his spokesman?

Who wants to know???

Reply/Quote
(03-26-2020, 12:29 PM)WhoDey Wrote: We have all seen the Redskins and others in the league spend a lot of money in free agency without success. The Bengals seem to be spending on guys that are entering their prime, rather than spending on huge named guys that could have a few good years left. Namely Bell and Reader.

We essentially replaced a lot of guys who were terrible against the run for guys who are worse against the pass.  I feel like we're playing 'whack-a-mole' with our strategy. I look for our pass defense to be demonstrably worse next year.  
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2020, 05:39 PM)RASCAL Wrote: Who wants to know???

Some guy named Larry.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(03-26-2020, 05:41 PM)caneyoufeelit Wrote: We essentially replaced a lot of guys who were terrible against the run for guys who are worse against the pass.  I feel like we're playing 'whack-a-mole' with our strategy. I look for our pass defense to be demonstrably worse next year.  

How so? When you stop the run you can get teams in 2nd and 3rd and longs which leads to more Interceptions and Sacks.

You put QB's in worse situations, a good run game is a QB's best friend.

Also you prevent TD's if you can tackle, I don't understand your thoughts at all. Waynes is an upgrade over Kirkpatrick against 
the pass as well. Reader frees up our pass rushers to hit the QB more and he is a decent pass rusher. This helps the Secondary.
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2020, 05:10 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Fred is a strange bird. Mellow

Anyone that uses a picture of a weird Amish guy as their avatar is OK in my book.
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2020, 06:56 PM)Schmitbuck Wrote: Anyone that uses a picture of a weird Amish guy as their avatar is OK in my book.

Hilarious
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2020, 02:19 PM)Mer Wrote: Is he really? I'm not sold on that. We hear it a lot around here but I'm more on the he's a great player when healthy side. Saying generational player is a bit much for a player that is often inured lately and tends to disappear or lose focus on catches in big games. Just my 2 cents.

No he doesn’t. Should have had the game winning TD in our last playoff game. Had 3 TD against Baltimore in a primetime game in 2018. I could go on, but other than injures suggesting AJ has been part of the problem is ridiculous. What he did for 7 years with a mediocre QB was nothing short of amazing. I can only imagine if he had Matt Ryan, Big Ben, Aaron Rodgers, etc. There are exceptions like Hopkins that can ball out even without a top QB, but that is extremely rare.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(03-26-2020, 02:32 PM)fredtoast Wrote: First, Green is not a "generational" talent (never finished higher than 5th in receptions, yards, or tds.)

Calvin Johnson WAS a "generational" talent.  How many receptions did he have when he was 32?

Yes, Green is.

This is the NFL. Not your fantasy football team.

You can be the most talented WR in NFL history and not have the best stats. Especially if you've had a subpar QB throwing to you your entire career.
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2020, 06:50 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: How so? When you stop the run you can get teams in 2nd and 3rd and longs which leads to more Interceptions and Sacks.

You put QB's in worse situations, a good run game is a QB's best friend.

Also you prevent TD's if you can tackle, I don't understand your thoughts at all. Waynes is an upgrade over Kirkpatrick against 
the pass as well. Reader frees up our pass rushers to hit the QB more and he is a decent pass rusher. This helps the Secondary.

If we constantly put these "run stopper" guys on the field on 1st or 2nd down, what in the hell do you think opposing teams are going do to? 
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2020, 03:52 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: It would be stupid to have let AJ test the market especially after Burrow said he wants him here.

Fred is just trying to bring everybody down today for some odd reason. Ignore him.

Plus it is 18 mil, not 19 and we can negotiate a deal later that is more team friendly.

I wasn't trying to be a prique, but asking a serious question.  I struggled with it, but there is no way he isn't here this year at the very least.  Without someone like Amari Cooper (who I just don't see as a $20 million per year player....now Hopkins?)  on the roster in his place, I don't roll out the WR corps that are a lot of pieces, but no one complete like AJ.  

As much as the National Media wasn't given much to piss on the Bengals with respect to Green not being thrilled to play under the tag, not one outlet said how they have until a certain date to work out an extension.  Maybe the Bengals are actually confident they will be able to do that now?  If the incentives are there and they can say "could earn as much as 21 million per year", it would go a long way to soothing Green's ego.  So many times it is not what is "fair" market, but if Cooper got 20 per year and Green views himself as superior to him... I'm sure the guaranteed money is the catch, but I think they may still be able to come to terms with a deal.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote