Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
The irony if Sample becomes what Zac thinks he will
(04-28-2019, 01:06 PM)Mobster Wrote: Can we stop pretending like this guy is just a blocker? he's a really good all-around TE who can do it all.

I think being a great blocker is underrated. I don’t think “just a blocker” is accurate. We’ve certainly missed having even competent blocking for a while now.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2019, 01:14 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: I look at Drew Sample as an extra offensive lineman who is always eligible to catch passes.

Just stop.
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2019, 12:50 PM)The Real Deal Wrote:  Forgive me for using a message board where people post their opinions as my platform.

I am the understanding type.  I am willing to forgive anyone as long as they promise it will never happen again.

BTW anyone else notice how we all get a case of the red ass during the draft and the first week of free agency.  We get snappy over any little thing. 
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2019, 01:18 PM)BonnieBengal Wrote: I think being a great blocker is underrated. I don’t think “just a blocker” is accurate. We’ve certainly missed having even competent blocking for a while now.

People are just acting like he's some one-dimensional player like Reggie Kelly who's a glorified extra lineman. He's dar from that.

I don't know if I'm the only one here who actually watches Pac 12 games (since I'm an Arizona State fan), but every time I turned on the Pac 12 Network and watched Washington, the commentators talked about this guy. He'd make a couple great plays in the passing game and they'd mention the only reason he gets overlooked as one of the elite TEs is because he's not utilized much in their offense, but they'd also talk about how NFL scouts are well aware of him and how he projects as a prototyical NFL TE that is a rare commodity these days
Reply/Quote
Going back to the 1st page, some of you act like we've never beaten the Stoolers….
Reply/Quote
There seems to be an obsession on this board to strain to find things to one up the Steelers on. Why don't we just start actually beating them on the field?

I doubt that they will care that the pick they traded ended up with the Bengals and the Bengals drafted a TE projected to be a 4th Round pick with it...even if he does turn into a decent starter.

BEAT THE STEELERS ON THE FIELD.
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2019, 01:14 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: George Kittle Draft Profile:

OVERVIEW
Kittle's Hawkeyes ties are strong, as his father, Bruce, was a co-captain on Iowa's 1982 Rose Bowl team. One cousin, Jess Settles, was an excellent basketball player for Iowa in the mid-nineties and another is former Iowa and current Denver Broncos tight end Henry Kreiger-Coble. Kittle redshirted in 2012, played in a reserve role in 2013 (5-108 receiving) and 2014 (1-25 receiving). He shared playing time in 2015, starting six of 14 games, catching 20 passes for 290 yards and a team-high six receiving touchdowns. Kittle was an honorable mention All-Big Ten pick last season (11 starts, 22-314, four TD), even though he was limited by a foot injury the second half of the year.

ANALYSIS
STRENGTHS Has broad shoulders and waist with a durable frame. Plays in pro-style attack and approaches blocking like an offensive lineman. Comes off the ball with good pad level and strikes with leverage and hands inside opponent's frame. Blocks with good technique and has footwork to get to reach blocks and combos. Hands are confident and sure with just one drop against 48 catches. Able to make sudden body adjustments to poorly thrown balls. Flashes vertical speed to become a seam worker. Physical runner after the catch with more wiggle than you would expect.

WEAKNESSES Patterns are inconsistent and he rarely tilts defenders at the top of his routes. Could generate better separation with improved route leverage. Route breaks can be too easy to decipher. Plays fast but seems to be missing separation burst coming out of his breaks. Needs to work back to the ball harder in space. Allows defenders a pathway to the throw rather than sealing them out of the passing lane. Has tendency to keep weight too far forward as run blocker creating opportunity for defender to pull him off-balance.

DRAFT PROJECTION Round 4

NFL COMPARISON Charles Clay

BOTTOM LINE H-back type who lacks the desired size for in-line blocking but certainly has the technique and willingness to do it. He has good hands and flashes an ability to challenge as a pass catcher on all three levels. Kittle has the athleticism and blocking ability to become an effective move tight end if paired in the right system.

It shows exactly what an inexact science the draft is. The best players obviously don't always come from the highest picks.

And generally, you're not going to read scouting reports in the 4th Round that talk about how a guy will come in and be a great starter and Pro Bowl caliber player. But, some of those guys will do that.
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2019, 12:50 PM)The Real Deal Wrote: I said I understand it, I just happen to think it’s stupid. Put me under the category of being tired of bengals fans being enamored with the Steelers. I’m not mad or upset about what you or the OP are posting, I just simply have a different opinion. Forgive me for using a message board where people post their opinions as my platform.
Yeah excuse me for using the same reason you use to take the SO_CALLED moral high ground. BTW I still think it would be ironic.
Reply/Quote
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2019, 01:06 PM)Mobster Wrote: Can we stop pretending like this guy is just a blocker? he's a really good all-around TE who can do it all.

The Bengal blog brain trust says we reached and could have gotten him two rounds later. How do they know that? Did they transport into the future on draft day? A lot of know it alls post on here a lot.
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2019, 01:08 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: And he was taken in the 5th round...

If they redrafted would he still be a fifth rounder?
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2019, 12:14 PM)Catmandude123 Wrote: The Steelers traded up to get Bush. They gave up their second rounder(52) this year to the Broncos. The Bengals got that second rounder from the Broncos and selected Sample. All the naysayers should pull for this pick to succeed. We can rub this in Steelers fans faces for years to come.

Don't raise your hand if you're in favor of seeing Sample plant Bush's face in the dirt in the first Bengals/Squeeler game.. After all, nobody wants to hear Squeeler fans cry about how Sample is the dirtiest player in the league...  Nervous
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(04-28-2019, 01:52 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Going back to the 1st page, some of you act like we've never beaten the Stoolers….

Andy is 3-12 against them. Any questions?
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2019, 02:27 PM)Catmandude123 Wrote: Andy is 3-12 against them. Any questions?

Last time I checked it was a team game. Has this changed?
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2019, 01:55 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: There seems to be an obsession on this board to strain to find things to one up the Steelers on. Why don't we just start actually beating them on the field?

I doubt that they will care that the pick they traded ended up with the Bengals and the Bengals drafted a TE projected to be a 4th Round pick with it...even if he does turn into a decent starter.

BEAT THE STEELERS ON THE FIELD.

I think you are wrong about picks. They whine constantly that we took their DB a few years back. Even though we drafted before them and didn't move up to take him. BTW the rest of us aren't as noble as you when it comes to the Steelers. Should we start calling you SIR PISTON 
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2019, 01:58 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: It shows exactly what an inexact science the draft is. The best players obviously don't always come from the highest picks.

And generally, you're not going to read scouting reports in the 4th Round that talk about how a guy will come in and be a great starter and Pro Bowl caliber player. But, some of those guys will do that.
Didn't you hear the latest news ? He IS a second rounder not a fourth rounder. Did you also believe the report on Ross? The draft gurus are just guessing and have no clue who will be successful than most other informer fans. I tend to believe the guys who job is on the line rather than a paid sports reporters. If they were that good they would be millionaires years ago.
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2019, 01:52 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Going back to the 1st page, some of you act like we've never beaten the Stoolers….

Again, we’re 3-16 against them since 2010, and have lost 8 in a row.

Reply/Quote
(04-28-2019, 02:28 PM)OSUfan Wrote: Last time I checked it was a team game. Has this changed?

And the QB has nothing to do with winning or losing? 
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2019, 02:44 PM)Catmandude123 Wrote: And the QB has nothing to do with winning or losing? 

Sure does but so does every other player on the team so why did you not give the record for Geno Atkins against the Steelers?
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2019, 02:24 PM)grampahol Wrote: Don't raise your hand if you're in favor of seeing Sample plant Bush's face in the dirt in the first Bengals/Squeeler game.. After all, nobody wants to hear Squeeler fans cry about how Sample is the dirtiest player in the league...  Nervous

I'm hoping that's what is going t be the way they use him, TE in motion to level line backers to free up Mixon and Gio. If he doesn't catch but two catches a game but frees up the run game he will turn out to be the steal of the draft.
Reply/Quote