Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
The irony if Sample becomes what Zac thinks he will
(04-30-2019, 05:25 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: Bengals weren't looking at Drew lock they got the QB they wanted.

you assume the bengals wouldn't have taken Williams over the LB and LT is a better value all day over a LB.

Over a Linebacker that has shown he has troubles wrapping up to boot...

We got a better tackling and covering Linebacker in the 3rd round for God sake.

People need to not fall for the hype. Geez.

Draft is a crapshoot, always has been.
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2019, 08:23 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: I'm not really going to argue with this because I hope he does well and you're right.

I just want to say that "the best blocking TE in the class" doesn't mean he'd be drafted as high as he was(usually the opposite).

Outside of that, his attributes are projected because there's not enough production to prove him.

A lot of times if a player is not used and it doesn't show on tape then the opposing D won't even gameplan for coverage.

Knowing that...

Would he have slipped to later in the 3rd or even the 4th?

It's quite possible.

We don't know but neither do you.

True but it was said there was atleast one team right behind us (after we traded back mind you) that wanted Sample at their pick in the 2nd. It is all about scheme and the type of player you want at that point for your scheme. Evidently Sample was the perfect TE for Taylor's scheme, a blocking TE with good hands that is very smart and an unselfish team player...

This is a different era Rocker, not Marv's which was a failure regardless of what some might say.

Time to move on and have an open mind about the new era.

I don't give a rat's azz about Marv anymore, he is history and i like what my new HC has been sayin' and more importantly doing.
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2019, 09:28 PM)Catmandude123 Wrote: The fact remains that they took him when they wanted to and to assume your opinion is more intelligent that a NFL coach is preposterous. You knew they were hiring a new HC so why didn't you put your name in the hat? I trust Zac and the other professionals over any of yours. 

Well you posted that twice but I'm just going to say this once.

You actually believe that coaches or front offices/whomever don't ever whiff on a pick or overvalue a player?

Preposterous. 

Stop taking this so damn personal.  Sheesh.

[Image: th?id=OIP.9Zz9tUEf0pNgluARVTle9QHaEK&pid...=292&h=165]
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
What if we called Sample a "TE with good hands who was underutilized and is the best blocker in the draft class" instead of a "blocking TE"?

If he plays as well as expected, and does what the coaches think he can do, then very few fans will remember what round he was drafted.
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2019, 10:18 PM)Beaker Wrote: What if we called Sample a "TE with good hands who was underutilized and is the best blocker in the draft class" instead of a "blocking TE"?

If he plays as well as expected, and does what the coaches think he can do, then very few fans will remember what round he was drafted.

I mean that is the dream, I don't think people are hoping he fails for the sake of proving others wrong. If that''s the case they better find another team to cheer for.
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2019, 09:28 PM)Catmandude123 Wrote: The fact remains that they took him when they wanted to and to assume your opinion is more intelligent that a NFL coach is preposterous. You knew they were hiring a new HC so why didn't you put your name in the hat? I trust Zac and the other professionals over any of yours. 

BengalsRocker does have the same amount of playoff wins as the current Bengals Management Team though over the past 27 years.  Hilarious
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2019, 10:18 PM)Beaker Wrote: What if we called Sample a "TE with good hands who was underutilized and is the best blocker in the draft class" instead of a "blocking TE"?

I think that's probably the case with Sample.

Bottom line is we used a 2nd Round pick on him and need to hope for the best. Analysts could be wrong. Maybe they're right. It doesn't matter now.

Heck - Williams could be a bust and Sample could be a great Pro. You never really know.

It seems to be hard to teach a TE to block. I can see why that skill would be valued.
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2019, 12:33 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I think over the years the biggest story will be the Steeler's traded in front of the Bengals, costing them 2nd and 3rd round picks, then passed on a great Tackle Williams.

And their first round LB is already showing signs of being a nutcase. Not sure how well he's going to feel at home in Pittsburgh or how the city will feel about having him.  Didn't they sign Flava Flav as a UDFA?
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2019, 03:29 AM)Shady Wrote: And their first round LB is already showing signs of being a nutcase.

Are you referring to the suit he wore to the draft?

Reply/Quote
The thing is that we know Sample excels at run blocking, but can he be a good receiver as well? I dont think that they really required him to do alot of that at Washington, and for all we know he could end up being decent at it.
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2019, 09:35 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Over a Linebacker that has shown he has troubles wrapping up to boot...

We got a better tackling and covering Linebacker in the 3rd round for God sake.

People need to not fall for the hype. Geez.

Draft is a crapshoot, always has been.

Devin Bush had more upside due to the athleticism but Pratt had better production and size, making Pratt the safer pick. With that said, the Steelers have traditionally been (a lot) better than the Bengals when it comes to developing LBs, so they'll probably get more out of Bush than the Bengals would have.

Think of it this way too...
Would you rather have Jonah Williams and Germaine Pratt or Devin Bush and a 3rd round OT like Chuma Edoga or Trey Pipkins?
I would have much preferred the former.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(05-01-2019, 10:13 AM)ochocincos Wrote: Devin Bush had more upside due to the athleticism but Pratt had better production and size, making Pratt the safer pick. With that said, the Steelers have traditionally been (a lot) better than the Bengals when it comes to developing LBs, so they'll probably get more out of Bush than the Bengals would have.

Would you rather have Jonah Williams and Germaine Pratt or Devin Bush and a 3rd round OT like Chuma Edoga or Trey Pipkins?

I think it is much easier as a LB to thrive in a 3-4 than a 4-3 simply due to coverage of the field responsibilities. So yes the Steeler's do develop LB's for their system, but is it the player or the scheme. In contrast, it is hard for a Steeler DL to thrive and get over 10 sacks a year. Those sacks go to the LB's generally in their system.

I love our Williams pick, he can be a starting  OL for next 10 to 12 years. Bush likely will flame out within 5 to 7 years. It is tough for a smallish LB in the NFL to not get worn down physically. Then we got Pratt in the 3rd and i loved that pick.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2019, 10:13 AM)ochocincos Wrote: Devin Bush had more upside due to the athleticism but Pratt had better production and size, making Pratt the safer pick. With that said, the Steelers have traditionally been (a lot) better than the Bengals when it comes to developing LBs, so they'll probably get more out of Bush than the Bengals would have.

All true and yeah, would definately prefer the former. If we would of taken Bush at 11 instead of Jonah i honestly wouldn't of cared for the pick either. I thought before the Draft that OT was more of a hole than LB, Bush is no Shazier either who they were hoping to replace, he is a great blitzer but he has trouble with his angles and wrapping up. That is not what was needed here.

We needed our Linebackers to be in the right position, diagnosing plays and shutting down dump offs and the run game. That is Pratt, not Bush.

(05-01-2019, 10:33 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I think it is much easier as a LB to thrive in a 3-4 than a 4-3 simply due to coverage of the field responsibilities. So yes the Steeler's do develop LB's for their system, but is it the player or the scheme. In contrast, it is hard for a Steeler DL to thrive and get over 10 sacks a year. Those sacks go to the LB's generally in their system.

I love our Williams pick, he can be a starting  OL for next 10 to 12 years. Bush likely will flame out within 5 to 7 years. It is tough for a smallish LB in the NFL to not get worn down physically. Then we got Pratt in the 3rd and i loved that pick.

Agreed, but we will see how our Linebackers thrive under a new LB coach too, love Tem's resume.
Reply/Quote
People were RAVING about Bush on this forum predraft.

The Steelers take him and now he's small and can't tackle.

Had we taken him, he would have been the 2nd coming of Ray Lewis.

You guys and gals are all funny!
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2019, 07:44 AM)HarleyDog Wrote: Are you referring to the suit he wore to the draft?

Yeah. WTF was up with that?
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
Reply/Quote

I was very surprised that McGary, risner and Howard were all gone by 42. I would have bet a decent sum that one of them would have been there for us.

Very happy the way the first round worked out for us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2019, 10:00 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: People were RAVING about Bush on this forum predraft.

Tbf there was a lot of people here who weren’t crazy about Bush before the draft.

Reply/Quote
The only real problem I have with Sample, is that he was drafted in the second round. Had he been drafted in one of the last three rounds I could have dealt with it ok. I just thought there were some very good players still on the board at this time. They sure did not go for the best player available. I didn’t agree with them trading down to start with. They should have stayed at 42. There were still players on the board at 42 which were projected to go in the first round.I’m not saying he’s a bad choice,but not in round 2.
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2019, 12:22 AM)ezekiel23 Wrote: The only real problem I have with Sample, is that he was drafted in the second round. Had he been drafted in one of the last three rounds I could have dealt with it ok. I just thought there were some very good players still on the board at this time. They sure did not go for the best player available. I didn’t agree with them trading down to start with. They should have stayed at 42. There were still players on the board at 42 which were projected to go in the first round.I’m not saying he’s a bad choice,but not in round 2.

I think this is the general consensus.

As long as he doesn't turn into another Ross...
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2019, 10:00 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: People were RAVING about Bush on this forum predraft.

Whats funny is you guys and gals who are throwing tantrums because they think they are smarter than professionals.
Reply/Quote