Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
The ride is just beginning ....
(12-07-2015, 12:17 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Not sure what this has to do with the gov taking children from parents because they were too christian.

None of us do because we have not heard that side of the story.

There is obviously more to it than that.  I know there are other Christian in Norway that are not having their children taken away.  Radical extreme Christians can be just a dangerous and crazy as any other radical extremists.
(12-07-2015, 12:12 PM)GMDino Wrote: Even if they are dirty, savage Muslims who pull their children out of school by their hair?

There's an exception to every rule.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(12-07-2015, 12:31 PM)fredtoast Wrote: If it puts the children in danger then it should.

Adults can chose a religion that involves handling snakes, drinking strychnine, blowing themselves up, female castration, or not seeking a doctors help when they are dying, but children should not be placed in that type of danger.

The people in the OP aren't snake handlers .
(12-07-2015, 12:38 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: The people in the OP aren't snake handlers .

You don't know that.  All you have read is one side of the story from a source called "militantchristian".

These people could be teaching their children that it is okay to kill other people because god will forgive any sin and they will still go to heaven.
(12-07-2015, 12:42 PM)fredtoast Wrote: You don't know that.  All you have read is one side of the story from a source called "militantchristian".

These people could be teaching their children that it is okay to kill other people because god will forgive any sin and they will still go to heaven.

Quite sure that their snake handling would have been mentioned had it been the case.
(12-07-2015, 12:45 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Quite sure that their snake handling would have been mentioned had it been the case.

And I am quite sure that whatever the real reason was "Militantchristian" chose to leave it out.

How many other Christian families in Norway are getting their children taken away?  There are obviously some serious issues in this particular case that your biased source has left out.  
(12-07-2015, 12:51 PM)fredtoast Wrote: And I am quite sure that whatever the real reason was "Militantchristian" chose to leave it out.

How many other Christian families in Norway are getting their children taken away?  There are obviously some serious issues in this particular case that your biased source has left out.  

I agree the site was ...... But I thought it was an interesting debate. I also would like to see more info .
(12-07-2015, 12:53 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote:    But I thought it was an interesting debate.  

It is impossible to debate when you only have one side.
http://www.newsinenglish.no/2015/06/12/minister-defends-barnevernet/

Quote:Minister defends ‘Barnevernet’

June 12, 2015

The name of the Norwegian state agency charged with ensuring the welfare of children, Barnevernet, has become well-known far beyond Norway’s borders, for all the wrong reasons. Thorny cases of children taken away from foreign parents have made headlines from India to Lithuania but now the government minister in charge of the embattled agency is coming to its defense, while also promising to take all the complaints against it seriously.

Solveig Horne, the government minister in charge of children’s and family issues, is now tackling the controversy around Norway’s state child welfare agency “Barnevernet.” “Barn” means “child” in Norwegian, while “vern” means “protection.”

Solveig Horne of the Progress Party wrote in a column in newspaper Aftenposten this week that her ministry is considering some changes in child welfare laws and new lines of responsibility for child welfare cases between the state and local governments. One thing, she wrote, is clear: “All children who live in Norway have a right to care and protection. That’s something we’re proud of, but it’s also demanding.”

It’s especially demanding when various cultures and ethnic backgrounds are involved. Norway has a law against slapping or otherwise physically punishing a child, for example, and that’s not always understood by parents who have moved to Norway from countries where slapping a child is not unusual. After a rash of cases in which children were placed in foster homes, Barnevernet and Norway itself has faced a flood of hostile media coverage in their parents’ home countries.

As Norwegian embassies have been confronted by protesters, Barnevernet has also faced criticism at home, both for failing to act in a child’s best interests and for stepping in and removing a child from a troubled home. This week, a long list of professionals including psychologists, social workers, lawyers and academics launched a petition to call the Parliament’s attention to problems swirling around Barnevernet.

‘Dysfunctional’

“Society wants to be confident that Barnevernet operates with high professional competence and exercises good judgment … but those of us involved in individual cases unfortunately see another reality all too often,” their petition reads. They continued that there are “many situations when Barnevernet steps in and takes over custody of a child, with its workers tackling this demanding job in the best manner. At the same time we see examples where the agency is viewed as a dysfunctional organization that makes the wrong evaluations with serious consequences.”

Earlier this week, Jan Storø of the University College of Oslo and Akershus called upon Horne to take a more active role in the controversy around Barnevernet. Støro acknowledged that much of the criticism from abroad involves “wild accusations” but other complaints can be legitimate. Through it all, he has missed an active response from the politicians responsible, complaining Horne herself has been much too quiet on the issue, as have Prime Minister Erna Solberg and Svein Harberg, who heads the parliamentary committee in charge of family and culture.

Horne promises that she is indeed looking into the trouble at Barnevernet. “It’s demanding to reach beyond our borders to get out correct information, but we are using resoures and making it a priority to do so,” she claims. “Norwegian authorities have on several occasions spoken up in foreign media to offer information about Barnevernet. We have experienced, though, that interviews are edited and presented incorrectly.”
More resources granted, and a study

Horne noted that more than 4,000 Lithuanians had protested against the negative picture presented of Barnevernet in their country. Information about Barnevernet is also being presented both through her ministry and the foreign ministry, to clarify Norwegian law and parents’ rights.

Horne said the directorate in charge of child and family issues (Bufdir) has been granted more resources to boost competence and help local governments as advisers in specific cases with international aspects. And she has commissioned a study to see whether Barnevernet workers evaluate cases involving Norwegian children differently from those involving children of non-Norwegians. Bufdir, she wrote, is also in the midst of a three-year project aimed at increasing confidence in its operations within immigrant communities in Norway.

“Barnevernet is an agency that attracts both positive and negative coverage in the media,” Horne wrote in her column. “Children have told me that Barnevernet came into their homes too late, others too early. We have challenges within Barnevernet. It’s a complicated picture, but Barnevernet’s work is always based on what’s best for the child.”
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(12-07-2015, 11:32 AM)Au165 Wrote: Are you that versed in Norwegian family law matters?

I read a lot of European news sources. One, American news is crap. The other reason is that I read it in German to help with the language learning.
(12-07-2015, 12:51 PM)fredtoast Wrote: And I am quite sure that whatever the real reason was "Militantchristian" chose to leave it out.

An interesting tidbit, Lutheranism is the state religion in Norway. Scandinavia has Lutheranism as a state religion, or a special status for the church, in Denmark, Iceland, Sweden, Norway, and Finland.
(12-07-2015, 01:14 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: I read a lot of European news sources. One, American news is crap. The other reason is that I read it in German to help with the language learning.

So you know that the Norwegian version of child protective services has major issues? I feel like your original comment was in reference to our own system, which I would tend to agree with you on, however I think we all lack knowledge to make that assumption here.
(12-07-2015, 01:26 PM)Au165 Wrote: So you know that the Norwegian version of child protective services has major issues? I feel like your original comment was in reference to our own system, which I would tend to agree with you on, however I think we all lack knowledge to make that assumption here.

No, my comments have been in regards to the Barnevernet. I know most people don't follow news in the old world like I do so you aren't aware, I was just pointing out that this has been a topic of controversy for a while now.
(12-07-2015, 01:14 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: I read a lot of European news sources. One, American news is crap. The other reason is that I read it in German to help with the language learning.

I do the same but for Russian. We try to watch at least 1 russian language television show a week. Usually it's a cartoon or children's show/movie. Big Grin

I have a tougher time with reading but the news helps.
(12-07-2015, 02:22 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: I do the same but for Russian. We try to watch at least 1 russian language television show a week. Usually it's a cartoon or children's show/movie. Big Grin

I have a tougher time with reading but the news helps.

I use Twitter a lot. The 140 character limit allows you to read stuff that isn't going to be overly lengthy and complex. I like to read headlines and try to translate them, then hit the translate button and see just how horribly I did (or how bad their translation is).
(12-07-2015, 11:45 AM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Not aware of the Indian family.   But was aware of the German famly this happened to and they asked for asylum and were denied by Obama admin.

How could that happen with our open borders?  They should be able to just walk right in.
(12-07-2015, 11:47 AM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Yes just what we need the principle telling parents the government should give you lessons on raising your kid.

The principle must have noticed something suspicious to turn them in.  Probably stopped a mass shooting. 
(12-07-2015, 11:55 AM)StLucieBengal Wrote: They actually couldn't because of the EU.  They were in Tennessee for some time until they were deported back to Germany where the government was ready to seize their children .  All because they wanted to home school.  

And just did a little search i saw they won the court case to stay in the Memphis area.

Deported?

Definitely suspicious.  They should probably investigate the church where they became radicals.
(12-07-2015, 11:58 AM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Religion should never be a reason to remove children.   This principle was way outta line and this is just another reason why no one should trust the government.

Except when the religion is Islam?  If you don't trust the government then why do you asking the government to do something about immigration and refugees and Muslims and abolish health care insurance?
This sub section is a joke any more.

Anyone whom you don't see eye to eye with posts anything and you all just disregard everything and attack the poster.

"2+2=4"
"Oh what do you know know you racist bastard?"

That's all I read here any more. There is no discussion and bans really should be handed out.

Now that you all got your attacks out of the way, should these children be returned to their parents or has the government overreached and violated this families civil rights?
Song of Solomon 2:15
Take us the foxes, the little foxes, that spoil the vines: for our vines have tender grapes.