Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The right's obsession with AOC
(06-21-2019, 04:59 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Well something doesn't add up. I've been told that crossing our border illegally is a crime and now you're telling me crossing our border illegally is not a crime. I'm sure you can understand my confusion.

It's also hard to wrap my head around you can willfully break the law and it not be a crime.

If you come to the border and request asylum you are not breaking any law or committing any crime, but you have to be detained until your amnesty claim is resolved...…No crime.  No violation of any regulation.

If you enter the country legally and your visa expires or you don't comply with the proper regulations then you are here illegally, but you still have not committed a crime.  It is just a civil violation of a regulation.  The penalty is deportation just like the penalty for a zoning violation can be removal of the building....Violation of regulation, but still no crime.

If you cross the border illegally instead of asking for asylum THEN you have broken a law.  But it is still just a misdemeanor and the penalty is usually just deportation......Crime.

Get it now?
(06-21-2019, 05:20 PM)fredtoast Wrote: If you come to the border and request asylum you are not breaking any law or committing any crime, but you have to be detained until your amnesty claim is resolved...…No crime.  No violation of any regulation.

If you enter the country legally and your visa expires or you don't comply with the proper regulations then you are here illegally, but you still have not committed a crime.  It is just a civil violation of a regulation.  The penalty is deportation just like the penalty for a zoning violation can be removal of the building....Violation of regulation, but still no crime.

If you cross the border illegally instead of asking for asylum THEN you have broken a law.  But it is still just a misdemeanor and the penalty is usually just deportation......Crime.

Get it now?
Yeah, those who cross the border illegally (Asylum seeker/job seeker) have committed a crime. That's what I was saying.

I am fully aware that anyone that reports to an authorized crossing to request asylum has not committed a crime. I'm just not sure we're detaining those folks in the US.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(06-21-2019, 05:26 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I am fully aware that anyone that reports to an authorized crossing to request asylum has not committed a crime. I'm just not sure we're detaining those folks in the US.

Then who are all of these people being held in CIVIL detention?
(06-21-2019, 06:12 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Then who are all of these people being held in CIVIL detention?

Use of cap locks and bold font aside. IDK, I didn't post the article I simply read it and asked a question.  If I were to take a guess I'd say it's because they haven't had their day in court yet.

But at least we all finally agree that it is a crime to cross the border illegally. So he made some progress.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]