Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The search (apparently) is back on....
(02-05-2019, 01:37 PM)TheBengalsMind Wrote: I also think Tyler Eifert is a very solid blocker too.

You might might very well be correct about Uzomah.

When you think about it the Bengals, in the Marvin Lewis era, have had some very good talent at tight end.

When I sit and think about it, it seems a lot of our tight ends had a lot of injuries and weren't always used to the best of their abilities.

It feels like to me they thought Marvin played them too much like a Reggie Kelly and wasn't innovative enough with them.

Reggie Kelly was the spiritual leader of the team, just like Whitworth was. But not everybody is meant to play in the trenches at tight end like Kelly was.

Tight Ends in general are among the most injured position in football. Not sure if it's because of their size combined with the hits they take or what, but across the league TE's always seem to be banged up. 
Reply/Quote
I'm disappointed that Del Rio and Taylor couldn't get on the same page. Del Rio definitely knows his trade, perhaps Taylor must have some specific plans in mind that perhaps Del Rio couldn't support 100%?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(02-05-2019, 01:25 PM)mikey6866 Wrote: Its more likely Zac couldent talk Del Rio into the job.  32nd defense in the league and maybe Jack thought it wasnt the right opportunity for him.  Im sure he wants to have a top D to try and get himself another shot at being a head coach.

You make a good point, and might be right.  However, if a DC comes in here and takes that unit to at least middle of the pack in one year, I'd think that would definitely open some execs' eyes around the league.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(02-05-2019, 01:44 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I'm disappointed that Del Rio and Taylor couldn't get on the same page.  Del Rio definitely knows his trade, perhaps Taylor must have some specific plans in mind that perhaps Del Rio couldn't support 100%?

I wouldn't worry too much.

There are still plenty of names out there.

I saw John Fox on ESPN talking up the Zac Taylor hire, maybe we reach out to him and see if he wants to coach instead of announcing games?

We were looking at Dennis Allen. Why not his linebackers coach Mike Nolan?

He wasn't a great head coach, but his ability to work with linebackers is right up there with Jack Del Rio's, if not better.

John Pagano and Tom Bradley would be good to at least interview as well.

There are still a lot of names out there that would, personally to me, be exciting hires.
[Image: i-8rLM4gw-M.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(02-05-2019, 12:24 PM)jj22 Wrote: Well reality is hitting. I think the most peace we had around here was when we didn't have a head coach.

We were able to dream and believe. No Del Rio, no Callahan, and the dream staff is falling apart.

For crying out loud.  Maybe just wait and let the pieces fall into place.  You'll still have plenty of time to have your head explode at a later date.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(02-05-2019, 01:43 PM)Au165 Wrote: Tight Ends in general are among the most injured position in football. Not sure if it's because of their size combined with the hits they take or what, but across the league TE's always seem to be banged up. 

They spend a lot of time in the middle of the field, take big hits from LB's, it often takes more than one guy to bring them down and they have DB's diving at their legs instead of taking on their size.  Add to that, blocking DE's in the run game and the picture is clear.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

Reply/Quote
(02-05-2019, 02:39 PM)TheBengalsMind Wrote: I wouldn't worry too much.

There are still plenty of names out there.

I saw John Fox on ESPN talking up the Zac Taylor hire, maybe we reach out to him and see if he wants to coach instead of announcing games?

We were looking at Dennis Allen. Why not his linebackers coach Mike Nolan?

He wasn't a great head coach, but his ability to work with linebackers is right up there with Jack Del Rio's, if not better.

John Pagano and Tom Bradley would be good to at least interview as well.

There are still a lot of names out there that would, personally to me, be exciting hires.

John Fox would be a good guy to interview, in my opinion, and was linked to us early in all of this mess.

You also note three names I would definitely be on board with too.

I'd take ALL of these cats over Capers, hell, I'd call Merv before Capers.  Seriously. Mellow

Reply/Quote
(02-05-2019, 01:43 PM)Au165 Wrote: Tight Ends in general are among the most injured position in football. Not sure if it's because of their size combined with the hits they take or what, but across the league TE's always seem to be banged up. 

I think a lot of it stems from the way they are typically used. Extra blocker so you butt heads with LBers and ends. Then, they typically catch passes over the middle or down the seam, opening them up for big shots.

They just get the hell beat out of them every play.
Reply/Quote
(02-05-2019, 02:43 PM)McC Wrote: For crying out loud.  Maybe just wait and let the pieces fall into place.  You'll still have plenty of time to have your head explode at a later date.

Any coaches still unemployed this first week of February are still around for a reason.

With the front office not having them lined up already means pickings will be slim. Anyone we sign would likely not have had a job this season if not for us. That doesn't inspire hope.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(02-05-2019, 04:10 PM)jj22 Wrote: Any coaches still unemployed this first week of February are still around for a reason.

With the front office not having them lined up already means pickings will be slim. Anyone we sign would likely not have had a job this season if not for us. That doesn't inspire hope.

Granted, we'd like to have a successful, experienced NFL DC to come and ease the pressure on Taylor, but there are dozens, if not hundreds of great coaches in the college ranks that could help fill out the position coaching roster.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(02-05-2019, 04:10 PM)jj22 Wrote: Any coaches still unemployed this first week of February are still around for a reason.

best thing to do is get college guys or successful positional coordinators at this point.  I would rather have a young coaching staff than some subpar 70-year-old former coach.

[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote

…. Because there are only 32 coordinator positions on each side of the ball. There's lot's of good coaches out there, many haven't even had their shot yet. One thing every great coordinator or head coach have in common is they all got that 1st shot somewhere when they were unknown. I'm not worried.
Reply/Quote

like Jack Del Rio?  For all this board had been salivating about him, his name wasn't mentioned for any other opening. We also don't know who they may have their lists. I seriously doubt they are starting totally from ground zero.

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(02-05-2019, 04:39 PM)pally Wrote: like Jack Del Rio?  For all this board had been salivating about him, his name wasn't mentioned for any other opening

LOL.  Most excellent point.

Reply/Quote
(02-05-2019, 04:27 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Granted, we'd like to have a successful, experienced NFL DC to come and ease the pressure on Taylor, but there are dozens, if not hundreds of great coaches in the college ranks that could help fill out the position coaching roster.

Yep. A name guy doesn't necessarily equal success.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
Well ....I enjoyed that presser, until I lost my damn feed.

Reply/Quote
(02-05-2019, 04:43 PM)Wyche Wrote: Well ....I enjoyed that presser, until I lost my damn feed.

I'll have to check out a replay of it, this evening.  I'm anxious to listen to Taylor speak.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(02-05-2019, 04:43 PM)Wyche Wrote: Well ....I enjoyed that presser, until I lost my damn feed.

You mean you missed the end when the Ben Gals came out in lingerie?
Reply/Quote
maybe i missed it cause of the outages. but did anybody ask Zac about Brian callahan or him calling plays and i find it weird bengals havent announced Brian Callahan at all yet.
Reply/Quote

I was wondering if it was only me that lost the feed,  it was bad enough that it kept stopping every 5 secs.  Was getting annoying,  you'd think they could do better than that.
Reply/Quote