Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
This Offense
(10-01-2022, 12:18 AM)Atomic Orange Wrote: With the on paper firepower this offense has they should be putting up at least 24 per game and should be #1 across the board.

On paper doesn’t mean much. The Bills scored 19 on Miami. GB #27 and Tampa #22 in scoring. Cincy? #10. GB and Rodgers have a new receiving group. Tampa has issues. Cincy has OL issues of developing cohesion.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(10-01-2022, 01:53 AM)gman657 Wrote: Good news is we are winning comfortably even without playing great. Once it all comes together, and it will, then we could be putting 40 points on teams. Even the 2 losses this year were very close even though we played so bad.

I think Joe was rusty partly because of his appendectomy. The OL needed more preseason work and Collins never practices.Volson is improving. But this offense can’t get to the one you are describing until it can run the ball.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(09-30-2022, 02:08 AM)ezekiel23 Wrote: The Bengals won tonight despite Zac Taylor.Also,the toss wide to the right is killing us.Please scrap it from the playbook.I can’t stand to watch it anymore.

Reminds me of the folks that just can't stop buying scratch off lottery tickets.  Yup you hit a big gainer once every 50 tries but lose over all.
Reply/Quote
(09-30-2022, 09:29 AM)Wyche Wrote: Buffalo couldn't score on the team that we hung 27 on last night. Ninja

That said, Baltimore's defense is struggling. Their offense is clicking though.

The Bengals also get an extended rest period before the game!
I like the Bengals defense against the Ravens offense and the Bengals offense should continue to improve and be difficult for any team without a premier pass rush.
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2022, 09:29 AM)Soonerpeace Wrote: I think Joe was rusty partly because of his appendectomy. The OL needed more preseason work and Collins never practices.Volson is improving. But this offense can’t get to the one you are describing until it can run the ball.

I agree here that Joe and his surgery was more of an issue that he or the team thought or want to admit.  With the almost new Oline not in sync as most thought they would be including me, Mixon not looking like he did last year and teams now covering  Chase better, the offense is struggling. 

Now the D looks solid and as good as expected and we haven't even seen Hill yet. D is allowing 17.5 pts. per game thru 4. With this O they should win alot of games.

Actually I'm wrong, the D is allowing 15.75 pts per. That 1st INT with Pitt was on Joe not the D and there may be another score the O gave up. I should say the Bengals as a team are giving up that many pts. per game. The D is doing their job very well.
Reply/Quote
One thing Marvin did that I always liked was bringing in Gio for complete series to spell Mixon, not just a play here or there. I'd like to see Zac do this with Evans and/or Perine. I like the idea particularly for Evans, simply because he's the quickest of the backs, and it would be a welcome change of pace to our running "attack." (Or lack thereof thus far......)

All three backs would likely benefit if we'd spread the load a bit. I may feel different if Mixon were averaging 5 yards a carry, but he's not. Mixing it up a bit would challenge defenses with the straight ahead style of Perine, the quickness of Evans, and a better rested Mixon to finish games, and stay fresh throughout the season.

I know it's only been four games, but it boggles my mind that we're not using Evans and Perine more, as much as Mixon is struggling. Healthy or not, Mixon has not looked himself, and he'd benefit physically and mentally sharing the load.

I'm hopeful with the "mini-bye week" that we'll start seeing more of the other backs. It certainly couldn't hurt.
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2022, 09:23 AM)Soonerpeace Wrote: FIFY: But he's the guy in charge, and he's just  a good coach. Why anyone debates that clear truth is beyond me. You can’t take away the fact he helped lead Cincy to their first playoff win since 1990. It ended the longest drought of any team of ANY of the 4 major American sports. He actually won 3 in which they were all on the road and underdogs. Again it’s huge odds against them making the playoffs. One of the things you’ll see is that Taylor can elevate a team to get better and better. When that happens I’m gonna find you lol.

Hahaha. Alright, fair enough. I don’t like ZT. I’m not secretive about it. That being said, I’ll happily be proven wrong about him and feel free to give me a hard time about it next SB appearance. I’ll be wearing my Burreaux jersey (again).

And look dude I get it, I’m a lapsed Saints fan, after decades of crappiness, boom you’re in a Super Bowl. I think we had only won 1 playoff game in our entire history at that point. But Payton and Brees were unstoppable, you knew it was a special thing for most of the next few seasons. Something just seems way off about this team and it makes no sense. Reminds me of the 1985 Bears. Granted that team was way better than anyone in the NFL last year, but they never had success again (I don’t even think they won another playoff game?) and Ditka was absolutely the problem, I don’t even know how you can argue that. ZT is reminding me more of Mike Ditka and less of Sean Payton at this point. The team is.. off.

I’ll see myself out…
Reply/Quote
(09-30-2022, 04:06 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Me too, and just think, two weeks ago our season was over cause we were never making the playoffs at 0-2.......  Ninja

Yeah, never bought that lol

Long season and we could of won both of those games pretty easily if we just did a few things differently.

The poor start could end up being just what we needed honestly.
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2022, 12:09 AM)Soonerpeace Wrote: And how are The Patriots w/o Brady? How good was KC before Mahomes? How good were the Bills before Josh Allen? How did the Rams do the year before Matt Stafford? Has Tyreek Hill helped the Dolphins? Your statement rings hollow. How good are the Steelers w/o a good QB? Even Bill Belicheck needs a QB.

The Patriots? 10-7 last year... Playoffs. 10-6 the previous year.

The Chiefs in 2017? 10-6.... Playoffs.

The Bills in 2017? 9-7. Zac Taylor didn't have 9 wins combined til his 3rd season.

2020 Rams? 10-6

The Steelers didn't have a good QB last year, and made the playoffs.

Zac Taylor... 4 wins in the NFL without Joe Burrow and Ja'Marr Chase.

Talk about things ringing hollow...
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2022, 03:01 PM)TigerStripes Wrote: One thing Marvin did that I always liked was bringing in Gio for complete series to spell Mixon, not just a play here or there.  I'd like to see Zac do this with Evans and/or Perine.  I like the idea particularly for Evans, simply because he's the quickest of the backs, and it would be a welcome change of pace to our running "attack." (Or lack thereof thus far......)  

All three backs would likely benefit if we'd spread the load a bit.  I may feel different if Mixon were averaging 5 yards a carry, but he's not.  Mixing it up a bit would challenge defenses with the straight ahead style of Perine, the quickness of Evans, and a better rested Mixon to finish games, and stay fresh throughout the season.

I know it's only been four games, but it boggles my mind that we're not using Evans and Perine more, as much as Mixon is struggling.  Healthy or not, Mixon has not looked himself, and he'd benefit physically and mentally sharing the load.

I'm hopeful with the "mini-bye week" that we'll start seeing more of the other backs.  It certainly couldn't hurt.

I like your thoughts TigerStripes. I want to see more of all 3 of the backs myself, spread the load around so we don't 
wear Mixon out. Seems like I have to say this every year. It gives Mixon rest and Defenses more to think about and as
you say it isn't like Mixon is balling out right now. Actually, saw some very poor vision from Mixon last game where he 
could of had a TD if he just followed his blockers.
Reply/Quote
I’m glad Zac Taylor isn’t a pilot of a high performance aircraft. He would taxi it up and down the runway a few times then park it in the hangar. The Bengals’ offense has been to operate with the throttle wide open yet Zac calls conservative plays especially on third and fourth down.

Yes, I know the pass protection is far from ideal — but it is better. The run blocking is still terrible — but attempts must be made to run the ball no matter what to keep the offense from becoming completely one dimensional.

When the offensive line can’t run and pass block with equal ability the playbook becomes extremely limited. This is an unfortunate consequence and it explains why Zac is picking watered-down vanilla plays. Once the line improves further then we’ll see more shots downfield along with runs which don’t end behind the line of scrimmage.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2022, 03:01 PM)TigerStripes Wrote: One thing Marvin did that I always liked was bringing in Gio for complete series to spell Mixon, not just a play here or there.  I'd like to see Zac do this with Evans and/or Perine.  I like the idea particularly for Evans, simply because he's the quickest of the backs, and it would be a welcome change of pace to our running "attack." (Or lack thereof thus far......)  

All three backs would likely benefit if we'd spread the load a bit.  I may feel different if Mixon were averaging 5 yards a carry, but he's not.  Mixing it up a bit would challenge defenses with the straight ahead style of Perine, the quickness of Evans, and a better rested Mixon to finish games, and stay fresh throughout the season.

I know it's only been four games, but it boggles my mind that we're not using Evans and Perine more, as much as Mixon is struggling.  Healthy or not, Mixon has not looked himself, and he'd benefit physically and mentally sharing the load.

I'm hopeful with the "mini-bye week" that we'll start seeing more of the other backs.  It certainly couldn't hurt.
I agree with you. 
Look how Stefanski handles the RBs in Cleveland
Chubb gashes defenses for 5 3 ypc than Hunt comes 
In after the front 7 is worn down with his penchant
For hitting the hole fast and violent 
Chubb comes in rested and the process repeats 
I'd like to see Mixon get 65% of the carries,
Perrine 25 and Evans 10. 
Mixon looks so worn down and beat by the end of
The 3rd period  
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2022, 03:56 PM)jason Wrote: The Patriots? 10-7 last year... Playoffs. 10-6 the previous year.

The Chiefs in 2017? 10-6.... Playoffs.

The Bills in 2017? 9-7. Zac Taylor didn't have 9 wins combined til his 3rd season.

2020 Rams? 10-6

The Steelers didn't have a good QB last year, and made the playoffs.

Zac Taylor... 4 wins in the NFL without Joe Burrow and Ja'Marr Chase.

Talk about things ringing hollow...

Trying to compare the roster of the Bengals in 2019 & 2020 to any of those teams is folly. My premise stands. Belicheck with no Brady is struggling. Stafford was the difference for the 21 Rams. Trevor Lawrence will be the same for the Jags. Taylor has to prove his worth this year but diminishing or discounting what he accomplished is pure bias.

Reply/Quote
(10-02-2022, 01:27 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: Trying to compare the roster of the Bengals in 2019 & 2020 to any of those teams is folly. My premise stands. Belicheck with no Brady is struggling. Stafford was the difference for the 21 Rams. Trevor Lawrence will be the same for the Jags. Taylor has to prove his worth this year but diminishing or discounting what he accomplished is pure bias.

Nobody said the 2019 or 2020 Bengals teams should've been playoff teams. They weren't even competitive though. They lost a lot and got humiliated every time they played a contender. A craftsman doesn't blame his tools, and a coach doesn't blame his roster.

You rattled off all those teams, and asked what they were before such and such arrived... I told you. And if 10 wins a year is struggling without Brady, then Zac was floundering. Bill has had 3 seasons without Brady in the past 2 decades. He's over .500 in all of them. You and I both know Taylor isn't doing that.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(10-02-2022, 10:03 PM)jason Wrote: Nobody said the 2019 or 2020 Bengals teams should've been playoff teams. They weren't even competitive though. They lost a lot and got humiliated every time they played a contender. A craftsman doesn't blame his tools, and a coach doesn't blame his roster.

You rattled off all those teams, and asked what they were before such and such arrived... I told you. And if 10 wins a year is struggling without Brady, then Zac was floundering. Bill has had 3 seasons without Brady in the past 2 decades. He's over .500 in all of them. You and I both know Taylor isn't doing that.

Well I know it took Belicheck 7 seasons to win a division title and Taylor 3. Chew on that plus Taylor was 6-0 vs Tomlin Reid and Harbaugh last year

Reply/Quote
(10-01-2022, 08:13 PM)impactplaya Wrote: I agree with you. 
Look how Stefanski handles the RBs in Cleveland
Chubb gashes defenses for 5 3 ypc than Hunt comes 
In after the front 7 is worn down with his penchant
For hitting the hole fast and violent 
Chubb comes in rested and the process repeats 
I'd like to see Mixon get 65% of the carries,
Perrine 25 and Evans 10. 
Mixon looks so worn down and beat by the end of
The 3rd period  

That would be the way I would like to see it myself. Would really help the running game and all the backs would get a 
shot which keeps team moral up. I don't like us not using Evans at all, that is kind of ridiculous to me. He brings a different
dynamic to the run game, use it. Just gives Defenses more to think about.
Reply/Quote
(10-03-2022, 05:06 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: That would be the way I would like to see it myself. Would really help the running game and all the backs would get a 
shot which keeps team moral up. I don't like us not using Evans at all, that is kind of ridiculous to me. He brings a different
dynamic to the run game, use it. Just gives Defenses more to think about.

Perine only has 12 rushing attempts and Evans zero thus far. I'm thinking it's time for that to change/go up.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-03-2022, 05:28 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Perine only has 12 rushing attempts and Evans zero thus far. I'm thinking it's time for that to change/go up.

For sure, only makes sense to change things up when they aren't working...
Reply/Quote