Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 2 Average
This Win makes me question Zac more, not less
(12-05-2023, 06:04 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Some folks thought I was joking when I made the post about 2 weeks ago:
http://thebengalsboard.com/Thread-What%E2%80%99s-your-number?pid=1425686#pid1425686

I know this board

It's predictable. I can almost set my watch by it. Mellow

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-05-2023, 07:06 PM)Wyche Wrote: It's predictable. I can almost set my watch by it. Mellow

"Yo, Wyche, that time is it?"

"Uhhhhhhhhh, it's half past blame Zac Taylor for going for it on 4th down."

Mellow
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(12-05-2023, 06:55 PM)TheCincinnatiKid Wrote: Absolutely this. I certainly have questioned games and decisions in the past 3 seasons... but overall, the team is generally a joy to watch in comparison to this Franchise's largely miserable history otherwise.

I consider myself somewhat fortunate that I took on fanship in 2005, when the Carson Palmer show got going. Couple of really good years in there. Didn't have too wait long for the Dalton/Green playoff appearances... as largely unsuccessful as both of those eras were, they were still quite a bit better than the Bengals before them.

These Bengals though... literally been taking us to heights we haven't been to. Even now, it wouldn't necessarily be a shock if we made our way into the playoffs. We've had a healthy starting QB for 4.5 games and a porous defence all season... previous Bengals teams would be about 2-10 at this point.

Prime Time on the road, with a nothing QB... and we won against a team gunning for #1 in the AFC. Pretty happy my team won that game personally. Very good wins over the Bills and Niners too, and we've done nothing but hobble through this season really. But still capable of beating some very good teams in there.

For all of the grief Marvin got ....and I dished out my share ....we have really been a rather decent to good team since his hiring. 

Reply/Quote
(12-05-2023, 06:59 PM)jj22 Wrote: This was training camp day 2, not week 12 when "everyone is sore". Yes I'd prefer if the starting star qb had any discomfort to play it safe.

Your examples are in season and late in season when yes, everyone is dinged, and maybe you risk it as they did/didn't with the wrist.

There's truth there, but damned if you aren't sore during summer practice. Hard core lifting, lots more running, drills, plus scrimmage/walk throughs. I only made it through high school, I can't imagine the intensity at a D1 school, let alone the NFL.

Reply/Quote
(12-05-2023, 07:02 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Zac just can't catch a break can he? lol

I keep telling ya Nate, it's Andy Dalton 2.0.

Reply/Quote
(12-05-2023, 07:06 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: I will never understand what happened to that offense they showed against San Fran.  Solid mix of run/pass slowed their pass rush.  Going under center more helped open up more play action.  It disappeared at Baltimore then resurfaced last night.  This team has made a living of playing their best when their backs are against the wall.  They have to have that feeling every single week moving forward. Yes, they will be facing a lot of backup QBs (and they have one too), but each one of those next five teams are in the playoff hunt.  They will all come out swinging.  Can't be flat at any point if they want to make a run.  

Huh? Mixon had around 50 yards rushing in the first half at Baltimore, didn't he? They were mixing it up pretty well until Joe went down. 

Reply/Quote
(12-05-2023, 07:09 PM)WychesWarrior Wrote: For all of the grief Marvin got ....and I dished out my share ....we have really been a rather decent to good team since his hiring. 

He clearly stayed too long, but we should be grateful Marv came along when he did.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(12-05-2023, 07:17 PM)jason Wrote: He clearly stayed too long, but we should be grateful Marv came along when he did.

I am with you for sure. He dragged this franchise, kicking and screaming, into the 21st century. He laid the groundwork, no question. 

Reply/Quote
(12-05-2023, 07:09 PM)Wyche Wrote: For all of the grief Marvin got ....and I dished out my share ....we have really been a rather decent to good team since his hiring. 

Yep. He's much maligned in my opinion. Not saying it was some glory era or anything and he needed to go before he actually did, but we forget he took over when the franchise was an absolute joke, and rebuilt expectations. Took us from a Detroit Lions level of bad, to being a team with pretty regular playoff aspirations. 

I think in a small part, that's helped give the franchise a little of the foundation for the team we are right now. Obviously the current era has taken it to unforeseen levels of success.
Reply/Quote
(12-05-2023, 07:19 PM)TheCincinnatiKid Wrote: Yep. He's much maligned in my opinion. Not saying it was some glory era or anything and he needed to go before he actually did, but we forget he took over when the franchise was an absolute joke, and rebuilt expectations. Took us from a Detroit Lions level of bad, to being a team with pretty regular playoff aspirations. 

I think in a small part, that's helped give the franchise a little of the foundation for the team we are right now. Obviously the current era has taken it to unforeseen levels of success.

Couldn't agree more. 

Reply/Quote
(12-05-2023, 07:12 PM)WychesWarrior Wrote: I keep telling ya Nate, it's Andy Dalton 2.0.

Except Zac is actually good in the playoffs. :P

Sorry, too easy.

Reply/Quote
(12-05-2023, 03:02 AM)Wyche Wrote: The fog kept me from seeing the Northern Lights a few days ago. Damn you Zac Taylor!
Just this morning I got out of bed to pee and hit my bed leg with my pinky toe. All I could was yell, damn you to hell Zac Taylor... Ninja
Reply/Quote
(12-05-2023, 03:22 AM)WildCat Wrote: marvin had some good years too but he couldn't win a playoff game. and 20 years of ineptitude before that. as bengals fans we're so starved we think that any wins to keep us in the playoffs is a good thing. when we know there's no chance this year. but yeah i'm miserable. good for me.

Give it up dude, now you're just sounding pathetic...
Reply/Quote
(12-05-2023, 08:32 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Except Zac is actually good in the playoffs. Tongue

Sorry, too easy.

Depends on who ya ask.... Smirk

Reply/Quote
(12-05-2023, 08:32 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Except Zac is actually good in the playoffs. Tongue

Sorry, too easy.

Oh c'mon Nicomo, the NFL caliber HCs on this board would disagree with you.....
Reply/Quote
Im not a fan of pass plays to guys behind the line of scrimmage. How many times did Zac do that and we lost yards? Throw the ball beyond the LOS. Even if you dont catch it, its not negative yards like we saw several times last night.
Reply/Quote
(12-06-2023, 12:55 AM)007BengalsFan Wrote: Im not a fan of pass plays to guys behind the line of scrimmage. How many times did Zac do that and we lost yards? Throw the ball beyond the LOS. Even if you dont catch it, its not negative yards like we saw several times last night.

This happens in every single game, by both teams. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn’t.
Reply/Quote
(12-05-2023, 07:14 PM)Wyche Wrote: Huh? Mixon had around 50 yards rushing in the first half at Baltimore, didn't he? They were mixing it up pretty well until Joe went down. 

They weren't moving the pocket at all, though.  That is a part of what worked in SF and against the Jags on Monday
Reply/Quote
(12-05-2023, 03:39 PM)Bengalbug Wrote: So all players who are sore, should sit out, and not practice?  Good grief man, this is the NFL… everyone is sore.  Tre Hendrickson played the next week with a hyperextended kneee.  Pat mahomes won the Super Bowl with a high ankle sprain.  They all had an increased probability of risk of injury and still played.  Granted the stakes are different, but those are more significant injuries than a sore calf.

Burrow has made me question whether he can be trusted about the severity of his own health. His appendix seems like it actually burst was he ignoring pain? The calf was just soreness? Then this whole wrist thing. I know they're are the vids of him flexing his hand and rotating his wrist in practice from practice earlier in the year. I wonder if this is his normal routine or was he ignoring discomfort for awhile? 

Don't mind me just over here way over thinking things.
Reply/Quote
(12-05-2023, 02:10 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: I think it was a good called game overall, many have felt we are too vanilla and don't mix it up or go for it enough on 4th down, I think ZT went in knowing this was the game to keep the season going or not, and pulled out a few trick plays knowing it was going to be hard to beat Jags straight up at their place plus their offense had been hot and our defense had not coming into the game.  My ex coach thinking also truly believe they saw something on tape to run those trick plays but overall I was fine with situational football calls by the ZT and his staff.

All in all a good called game and it seemed alot of what they changed really paid off. But to me the situational football is still a big concern. I wasn't a fan of the trick play designs myself but who knows both were alot slower developing then I'm sure they planned. But read the game the 1st one we are driving down the field hadn't scored yet so I see using a trick play. Just not sold on upside of throwing the ball to Browning? Best case a 1st? Then the 2nd one Mixon has had a big gain on this play in the past I guess. But backed up in your own end and in a game we are moving the ball. Not really trying to complain because it was a great game otherwise but situational issues have been things we have struggled with in my opinion. 
Reply/Quote