Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Thoughtson Biden's speech/plan?
(05-11-2021, 03:47 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: Nice rebuttal.  Really countered all the points I listed.

What is to rebut?  You cited Tucker Carlson who has been classified as "not factual" by his employer in court.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-11-2021, 02:02 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: -In Louisiana, the state with the LOWEST weekly unemployment benefits, you can make $500 A WEEK, which comes out to $12 an hour, which is above the minimum wage.  In the states with the highest benefits, you can make almost $20 an hour for not working.

But that is assuming the person is only not working for 40 hours a week. In reality, they aren't working for 120 hours a week. 168 hours a week if you count the weekend. So, really, they're being paid, at most, $4.17 per hour of not working in Louisiana and $6.67 in the highest benefit states, both of which are below the minimum wage.
Reply/Quote
(05-11-2021, 02:02 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: -Biden's administration was predicting a million new jobs last night and there were only 266,000 created.

Biden's administration created 266,000 new jobs?  I bet you didn't see that coming.
Reply/Quote
(05-10-2021, 01:48 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: why would people look for jobs when Biden is paying them more right now to sit at home and NOT work?  

Because you have to be seeking work to be eligible for unemployment benefits.

Also if you are offered to return to work and refuse you can not collect unemployment benefits.
Reply/Quote
(05-10-2021, 01:48 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: You really don't understand how economics or accounting works and it's pointless to keep arguing with you when you throw out just lumps of bullshit.

Nothing I said was incorrect.

I posted facts to prove you don't understand. 

You proved that you don't understand by calling all the true stuff i posted "lumps of bullshit".
Reply/Quote
(05-11-2021, 04:22 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Biden's administration created 266,000 new jobs?  I bet you didn't see that coming.

We're coming out of a pandemic.  It should be a hell of a lot more because people would be interested in getting back to work if Biden weren't giving out handouts that will cripple our economy.  

Biden and his administration predicted a million.  You want to give him credit for being 26.6% efficient?

Want proof that people are already seeing what's coming and freaking out?

People in Alabama (and probably a lot of places, but my friend in Alabama just posted this), are struggling to get gas because everyone knows that gas prices are going to go through the roof, so they're filling it up their tanks and boats and filling multiple gas jugs.
Reply/Quote
(05-11-2021, 04:51 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Nothing I said was incorrect.

I posted facts to prove you don't understand. 

You proved that you don't understand by calling all the true stuff i posted "lumps of bullshit".

You posted incorrect information, proving that you understand just use empty rhetoric and insults calling like it somehow makes your false information true.
Reply/Quote
(05-11-2021, 04:54 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: Biden and his administration predicted a million.  You want to give him credit for being 26.6% efficient?

Honestly, 27% effective is pretty high praise for a politician.

(05-11-2021, 04:54 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: People in Alabama (and probably a lot of places, but my friend in Alabama just posted this), are struggling to get gas because everyone knows that gas prices are going to go through the roof, so they're filling it up their tanks and boats and filling multiple gas jugs.

That's nothing.  My mother in law and sister in law both stocked up on stuff a few months ago because they were told the Pope had been arrested for sex trafficking and he was going to be executed and the power grid for the entire USA would go down until Trump had Biden arrested and things got back to normal.  I'm not making any of this up.
Reply/Quote
(05-11-2021, 04:56 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: You posted incorrect information, proving that you understand just use empty rhetoric and insults calling like it somehow makes your false information true.

Then simply tell everyone exactly what I said that is not true. 

Should be pretty simple, right?
Reply/Quote
(05-11-2021, 04:54 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: People in Alabama (and probably a lot of places, but my friend in Alabama just posted this), are struggling to get gas because everyone knows that gas prices are going to go through the roof, so they're filling it up their tanks and boats and filling multiple gas jugs.

Sounds like a self fulfilling prophecy, if you ask me.
Reply/Quote

Hilarious

Yeah right, this is all about Bidens policies and not the problem with the Colonial Pipeline.
Reply/Quote
(05-11-2021, 04:44 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Because you have to be seeking work to be eligible for unemployment benefits.

Also if you are offered to return to work and refuse you can not collect unemployment benefits.

Unless something has changed in the last 10 years then I'm going to have to point out that these requirements (seeking work and not refusing a job opportunity) are extremely easy to work around.

Fwiw, this is my own story regarding unemployment...

In 2009 my company was getting ready to be sold.  As a result they started cutting tons of positions.  (My guess is to look better on paper).  They laid off nearly 50% of our sales staff and a ton of other positions.  Unfortunately for me, I was one of these people.

When this occured it was when they had extended unemployment benefits (similar to now).  It was during the housing crisis and recession.  If I recall correctly, they were extended from 6 months to 18 months.  Obama's administration also passed something  that got you a seperate check for around $75 dollars in addition to your unemployment.

Anyways, I drew unemployment for about 8 months and got pretty familair with the process as a result.  I also kept in contract with a number of people from the office who were also drawing unemployment.  I also spoke with a number of others at the unemployment office while waiting.

Yes, we did have to "look for work".  What that actually entailed was going into the unemployment office every month or two and listing out the jobs you applied to.  Here's the thing though:  People would straight up just make up places they applied to and fill out the sheet with cooperate numbers or other bs.  I'm pretty sure no one from the state actually followed up and checked any of this.

I knew people I used to work with that told me they weren't even bothering looking for work.  They would just put down shit like Best Buy, Larosas, Cintas and keep coming up with new companies each vist.  These were mainly the warehouse people who didn't make much to begin with.  Almost all of them stayed on unemployment for the full 18 months or close to it.  (I couldn't really blame them).

I kinda went through this as well, although I wasn't downright lying about looking for work.  But I wasn't going to take a shitty job either.  I was making the maximum on unemployment so anything under, I think, $15 bucks an hire would have been a loss for me.

What's funny is my own company called about 90 days after being let go about coming back.  I was elated.  Come to find out they were bringing back reps at minimum wage with straight commission instead of our old base salaries (40k).  To add insult to injury, all of the old accounts we built up were moved over to other reps or were non-commissioned.  So we'd basically have to start from scratch.

I turned that job down, among quite a few others.  As did a lot of the other guys in my department.  At no point did I stop collecting unemployment despite "refusing to work".

tldr:  You can easily lie about looking for work, and you can turn down offers.  The state unemployment office has nowhere near the resources to make sure people are living up to this, despite it being a requirement.  People would straight up tell me they weren't even bothering to look for work and would lie on everything they filled out.
Reply/Quote
(05-11-2021, 05:02 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: Sounds like a self fulfilling prophecy, if you ask me.

That's exactly what it is. It's rooted in the Colonial Pipeline situation. People feared there would be a gas shortage, so they went out and stocked up. Now they have created a gas shortage. It's like what the idiots did with toilet paper last year.

Edit to add: it's all funny, to me, because everyone is touting the jobs numbers without going "hmm, most of the rest of the economic indicators, including ones that are much more important, show we have an economy is is rebounding pretty well." Nah, we can't be logical and look at the whole picture. This one number means the end of the world for some stupid reason.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote
(05-11-2021, 05:16 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Unless something has changed in the last 10 years then I'm going to have to point out that these requirements (seeking work and not refusing a job opportunity) are extremely easy to work around.

Fwiw, this is my own story regarding unemployment...

In 2009 my company was getting ready to be sold.  As a result they started cutting tons of positions.  (My guess is to look better on paper).  They laid off nearly 50% of our sales staff and a ton of other positions.  Unfortunately for me, I was one of these people.

When this occured it was when they had extended unemployment benefits (similar to now).  It was during the housing crisis and recession.  If I recall correctly, they were extended from 6 months to 18 months.  Obama's administration also passed something  that got you a seperate check for around $75 dollars in addition to your unemployment.

Anyways, I drew unemployment for about 8 months and got pretty familair with the process as a result.  I also kept in contract with a number of people from the office who were also drawing unemployment.  I also spoke with a number of others at the unemployment office while waiting.

Yes, we did have to "look for work".  What that actually entailed was going into the unemployment office every month or two and listing out the jobs you applied to.  Here's the thing though:  People would straight up just make up places they applied to and fill out the sheet with cooperate numbers or other bs.  I'm pretty sure no one from the state actually followed up and checked any of this.

I knew people I used to work with that told me they weren't even bothering looking for work.  They would just put down shit like Best Buy, Larosas, Cintas and keep coming up with new companies each vist.  These were mainly the warehouse people who didn't make much to begin with.  Almost all of them stayed on unemployment for the full 18 months or close to it.  (I couldn't really blame them).

I kinda went through this as well, although I wasn't downright lying about looking for work.  But I wasn't going to take a shitty job either.  I was making the maximum on unemployment so anything under, I think, $15 bucks an hire would have been a loss for me.

What's funny is my own company called about 90 days after being let go about coming back.  I was elated.  Come to find out they were bringing back reps at minimum wage with straight commission instead of our old base salaries (40k).  To add insult to injury, all of the old accounts we built up were moved over to other reps or were non-commissioned.  So we'd basically have to start from scratch.

I turned that job down, among quite a few others.  As did a lot of the other guys in my department.  At no point did I stop collecting unemployment despite "refusing to work".

tldr:  You can easily lie about looking for work, and you can turn down offers.  The state unemployment office has nowhere near the resources to make sure people are living up to this, despite it being a requirement.  People would straight up tell me they weren't even bothering to look for work and would lie on everything they filled out.

It's a story almost as old as recorded history. Would a person be willing to commit fraud if they were relatively certain (Say 90% sure) no one would check on whether or not they were committing fraud.

The answer is, generally, a resounding yes. Sure, some people may be audited and fined, but for the vast majority of people it will work out. The unemployment offices across the country seem to be too understaffed to account for the surges that surround financial crises anyway. And who can blame them? No one staffs with the anticipation of a housing market crash and/or pandemic.

I'd be curious to see how easy it is to get away with these types of fraud during normal unemployment situations though (I.E. not now and not in 2009).
Reply/Quote
(05-11-2021, 05:54 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: That's exactly what it is. It's rooted in the Colonial Pipeline situation. People feared there would be a gas shortage, so they went out and stocked up. Now they have created a gas shortage. It's like what the idiots did with toilet paper last year.

Edit to add: it's all funny, to me, because everyone is touting the jobs numbers without going "hmm, most of the rest of the economic indicators, including ones that are much more important, show we have an economy is is rebounding pretty well." Nah, we can't be logical and look at the whole picture. This one number means the end of the world for some stupid reason.

When it comes to surveying the economy, everyone has a slant towards their party. I remember when Trump first became president and he instituted his tax breaks and then, suddenly, the Republicans couldn't stop talking about how much unemployment was trending down and how much the stock market was trending up....despite the fact that those trends were already well entrenched under Obama so them continuing is not really all that noteworthy. What would have been noteworthy is if the trends sloped upward or downward, neither of which really happened.

But you see it from the Democrats too. Not many Democrats were willing to acknowledge that Trump was able to keep the economy going in the direction it had been up until the pandemic and the stock market broke records under his presidency, if I'm not mistaken.

I also find it interesting that, when your party is president, the stock market is the ultimate figure for economic success, but when the other party is president, the stock market is just a gambling expo where the wealthy become wealthier and has no real bearing on the economy.

And then you have the people who will claim the economy when their party is in charge, but then say the President has little or no impact on the economy when their party is not in charge, assuming the economy is doing well. If the economy is doing poorly, it's definitely the president of the other party's fault (or not the president of your party's fault).
Reply/Quote
(05-11-2021, 02:02 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: Answer to all these questions can be seen here:

I know that some people never view videos that prove their points wrong, but here's a summary of the first 15 minutes or so that deal with Biden's plan:

-Unemployment is rising but employers can't find people to fill jobs.
-Things, even common products, are becoming more expensive because, like I predicted, INFLATION!
-In Louisiana, the state with the LOWEST weekly unemployment benefits, you can make $500 A WEEK, which comes out to $12 an hour, which is above the minimum wage.  In the states with the highest benefits, you can make almost $20 an hour for not working.
-Biden's administration was predicting a million new jobs last night and there were only 266,000 created.
-Places are having to hike wages to hire people, which is fine for big businesses and corporations but it's going to kill millions of small businesses that can't afford to pay workers what big chains can.  

Holy shit he brought in the big guns.

Voice of the little guy and heir to the Swanson food fortune Tucker "I'm not to be taken seriously by my viewing audience as admitted by my employer" Carlson.

This is the part where we throw our heads back in laughter.

You know Tucker Carlson is to the right what Anderson Cooper is to the left, so why in the absolute hell would you post that when you know the people you're trying to convince are going to see his face and immediately disregard everything you have to say.

For what it's worth, any state paying more than $300 a week in unemployment is doing it outside of Biden and the federal government. $300 equates out to $7.50 an hour for 40 hours.

Remind me again what federal minimum wage is.
Our father, who art in Hell
Unhallowed, be thy name
Cursed be thy sons and daughters
Of our nemesis who are to blame
Thy kingdom come, Nema
Reply/Quote
(05-11-2021, 07:08 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: When it comes to surveying the economy, everyone has a slant towards their party. I remember when Trump first became president and he instituted his tax breaks and then, suddenly, the Republicans couldn't stop talking about how much unemployment was trending down and how much the stock market was trending up....despite the fact that those trends were already well entrenched under Obama so them continuing is not really all that noteworthy. What would have been noteworthy is if the trends sloped upward or downward, neither of which really happened.

But you see it from the Democrats too. Not many Democrats were willing to acknowledge that Trump was able to keep the economy going in the direction it had been up until the pandemic and the stock market broke records under his presidency, if I'm not mistaken.

I also find it interesting that, when your party is president, the stock market is the ultimate figure for economic success, but when the other party is president, the stock market is just a gambling expo where the wealthy become wealthier and has no real bearing on the economy.

And then you have the people who will claim the economy when their party is in charge, but then say the President has little or no impact on the economy when their party is not in charge, assuming the economy is doing well. If the economy is doing poorly, it's definitely the president of the other party's fault (or not the president of your party's fault).

Pretty much all of this. I do want to add something to this thread about the gas situation, though. We have been seeing a little bit of a quicker pace for inflation, recently, and it's being driven primarily by fuel sales, i.e. gasoline. This is another one of those self-fulfilling things. Fuel production had slowed during the pandemic because, well, people weren't going places as much. Now there is this run on gas stations which increases demand that outpaces supply. This demand pulls the prices up. So not only is it self-fulfilling on the shortage side, it's also the major contributor to rising inflation.

All because of this panicky herd mentality.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote
(05-11-2021, 07:49 PM)BigPapaKain Wrote: Holy shit he brought in the big guns.

Voice of the little guy and heir to the Swanson food fortune Tucker "I'm not to be taken seriously by my viewing audience as admitted by my employer" Carlson.

This is the part where we throw our heads back in laughter.

You know Tucker Carlson is to the right what Anderson Cooper is to the left, so why in the absolute hell would you post that when you know the people you're trying to convince are going to see his face and immediately disregard everything you have to say.

For what it's worth, any state paying more than $300 a week in unemployment is doing it outside of Biden and the federal government. $300 equates out to $7.50 an hour for 40 hours.

Remind me again what federal minimum wage is.

[Image: tenor.gif]

Reply/Quote
(05-11-2021, 07:08 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: When it comes to surveying the economy, everyone has a slant towards their party. I remember when Trump first became president and he instituted his tax breaks and then, suddenly, the Republicans couldn't stop talking about how much unemployment was trending down and how much the stock market was trending up....despite the fact that those trends were already well entrenched under Obama so them continuing is not really all that noteworthy. What would have been noteworthy is if the trends sloped upward or downward, neither of which really happened.

This is absolutely spot on. My wife and her family are very conservative, while I’m not. It really gets old listening to the extremes of their opinions, which primarily come from her mother. Apparently, they believe that this Colonial Pipeline hack is because Russia has no respect for “sleepy Joe” and feel that they can do whatever they want. They said, quote, “Russia would have never dared to hack anything in the United States under Trump.”

Her parents also believed that Biden was going to collapse the US economy and she was going to lose her job so they moved assets around and prepared for the stock market crash. However, now that the stock market has continued to crush it, the conversation becomes exactly as you described. “What has Biden done, other than the economy?” OR “What has Biden done for the economy?”

I dated a girl in my freshman year of college who was also conservative. Very conservative. When Obama won his second term, she began sobbing because she was convinced he was the anti-Christ and the world was going to end. Some of this shit that people talk themselves into is just unbelievable.
Reply/Quote
(05-12-2021, 09:15 AM)KillerGoose Wrote: This is absolutely spot on. My wife and her family are very conservative, while I’m not. It really gets old listening to the extremes of their opinions, which primarily come from her mother. Apparently, they believe that this Colonial Pipeline hack is because Russia has no respect for “sleepy Joe” and feel that they can do whatever they want. They said, quote, “Russia would have never dared to hack anything in the United States under Trump.”

Her parents also believed that Biden was going to collapse the US economy and she was going to lose her job so they moved assets around and prepared for the stock market crash. However, now that the stock market has continued to crush it, the conversation becomes exactly as you described. “What has Biden done, other than the economy?” OR “What has Biden done for the economy?”

I dated a girl in my freshman year of college who was also conservative. Very conservative. When Obama won his second term, she began sobbing because she was convinced he was the anti-Christ and the world was going to end. Some of this shit that people talk themselves into is just unbelievable.

Well at least the last four years were relatively free of this kind of behavior.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote