Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Three Bengals poised for breakout seasons
This story comes from the Last Word On Sports, and I suppose they likely do one of these articles for every team. I chose to post this one, not just because it's on the Bengals (duh?) but because it goes hand in hand with what many of us have been talking about throughout OTAs and Minicamp. They chose Murphy, Iosivas, and yes, the much maligned Cordell Volson as the Bengals breakout season candidates, and I couldn't agree more.

What say you? Did they get it wrong, leave anyone out?

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/3-breakout-candidates-for-the-cincinnati-bengals/ar-BB1onQI1?ocid=msedgntp&pc=U531&cvid=58dc94d97fec4a939a5f7a20fa800385&ei=14

Quote:The Cincinnati Bengals are currently in vacation mode with training camp a little over a month away. This doesn’t mean the coaches and front office aren’t hard at work evaluating players they think can help them get back to the top of the AFC North. The orange and black kept all 10 of their 2024 draft picks so competition will be at an all-time high to make this year’s squad. Let’s examine three breakout candidates that can help the Bengals return to the postseason for the third time in four seasons.

3 Breakout Candidates for the Cincinnati Bengals

Myles Murphy
The Bengals’ EDGE is an intriguing 6’5″, 275-pound player who ramped up his production as the season progressed. Murphy played in all 17 games and his long arms, bend, and initial push seemed to be his calling cards en route to three sacks and 10 solo tackles in his first season in stripes. This is a solid start, and Murphy still has some untapped potential that defensive coordinator Lou Anarumo will build on. The hope is he will move from being a rotational piece to a starter. The Bengals won’t be afraid to kick him inside the defensive line to get a more favorable matchup if the situation dictates it this season. Murphy has also transformed his physique this offseason and has been a standout performer in workouts thus far. He is still only 22 years old and his fantastic RAS score should give Bengals fans hope about his future along the defensive line.

Andrei Iosivas
Another player who has shined thus far in early sessions is second-year player Andrei Iosivas. The connection between quarterback Joe Burrow and Iosivas in the red zone last season was beautiful to watch. The former Princeton product is looking to become a more well-rounded wide receiver and that’s exactly what he’s on pace to do. Coaches have been raving about his progress with an updated playbook under the watchful eye of the new offensive coordinator Dan Pitcher. With Ja’Marr Chase and Tee Higgins not participating in on-air throws, Iosivas has taken full advantage of his reps and looked like the best receiver on the field. The Bengals hope he continues to excel throughout training camp to help make their offense even more dynamic in the regular season.

Cordell Volson
Possibly a surprise pick in the breakout player category is the much-maligned Cordell Volson. The third-year left guard is occasionally noted as the weak link on the Bengals offensive line. The biggest feather in Volson’s cap is how durable he’s been. He’s started 36 consecutive games (including postseason) to begin his career and is the only player on the team to line up for every offensive snap in the 2022 regular season, ’22 postseason, and ’23 regular season.

Volson was starting to find his footing in the last half of 2023 and was playing some excellent football.

With the recent additions of Trent Brown and Amarius Mims, Volson will stay motivated to continue his torrid play that bookended his 2023. If he does, Burrow will have the best offensive line he’s had since he arrived in 2020 and that might mean bad news for the rest of the NFL
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
I just don’t see it with Volson. He is going into his age 26 season, and you usually are what you are by that point.

Reply/Quote
If Murphy has a breakout season then I'll be ecstatic because it means he's putting a lot of pressure on the opposing QBs. It would be sweet if he becomes the guy that other teams fear.
Reply/Quote
(06-18-2024, 10:31 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I just don’t see it with Volson. He is going into his age 26 season, and you usually are what you are by that point.

As the article stated, his game took a big step forward during the second half of last season. With that in mind, I'll be looking forward to his performance this season changing your opinion of him.  Cool

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Volsen being the iron man is the way of the Bengals o-line.

The worst players on the o-line never go down or miss games due to injury.

It's magical.

Love to see him get better, but do not see him making the jump. But a second year between Karras and Brown has to help...
Reply/Quote
(06-18-2024, 10:31 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I just don’t see it with Volson. He is going into his age 26 season, and you usually are what you are by that point.

Yet only his 3rd year.
Reply/Quote
Often times, it can take a mid-round pick 2-3 years to really develop.
We prefer players that need development are learning on the bench rather than thrust into a starting role, and we can be quick to call for their head if they are not up to par like we want.

This could be the case with Volson, who did play better the second half of last season and might finally be coming into his own.
With that said, the Bengals have Cappa, Karras, and Volson all going into their final year under contract in 2025, so it wouldn't surprise me to see an IOL (or two) drafted early in the 2025 draft to be groomed for a year or even push one of them for a starting spot in 2025 if they are good enough.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(06-18-2024, 10:38 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: As the article stated, his game took a big step forward during the second half of last season. With that in mind, I'll be looking forward to his performance this season changing your opinion of him.  Cool

Why would 1 year of good play change someone's opinion about Volson? 2 years of poor play hasn't changed some folks opinion.

WTS, I hope for the best, but hope is usually a poor strategy. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
bfine's "Breakout 3"

DJ Turner

Charlie Jones

Zac Moss

Reply/Quote
(06-18-2024, 10:38 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: As the article stated, his game took a big step forward during the second half of last season. With that in mind, I'll be looking forward to his performance this season changing your opinion of him.  Cool

It didn't necessarily take a big step in the 2nd half. He had a 4 game stretch of good play when Browning first started taking snaps, then regressed to his mean for the final 3 games. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(06-18-2024, 11:07 AM)FormerlyBengalRugby Wrote: Volsen being the iron man is the way of the Bengals o-line.

The worst players on the o-line never go down or miss games due to injury.

It's magical.

Love to see him get better, but do not see him making the jump. But a second year between Karras and Brown has to help...

Good ole Bobby Hart...  Mellow

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(06-18-2024, 11:27 AM)ochocincos Wrote: Often times, it can take a mid-round pick 2-3 years to really develop.
We prefer players that need development are learning on the bench rather than thrust into a starting role, and we can be quick to call for their head if they are not up to par like we want.

This could be the case with Volson, who did play better the second half of last season and might finally be coming into his own.
With that said, the Bengals have Cappa, Karras, and Volson all going into their final year under contract in 2025, so it wouldn't surprise me to see an IOL (or two) drafted early in the 2025 draft to be groomed for a year or even push one of them for a starting spot in 2025 if they are good enough.

The burning question is, does that change to 3-5 years after this season?

Reply/Quote

Problem is, his play took a big step forward towards the end of his rookie season, too.  And he still sucked last year.
Reply/Quote
Cam Sample
Dax Hill
Joseph Ossai
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(06-18-2024, 10:31 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I just don’t see it with Volson. He is going into his age 26 season, and you usually are what you are by that point.

If it is true 26-year-old or players in year 3 in the NFL never develop, then why does any team have a practice squad full of these players? Why waste money on these guys? Why do coaches waste time attempting to make them better? 

I guess guys like former WR TJ Houshmandzadeh should have been cut in your eyes.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(06-18-2024, 12:41 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: If it is true 26-year-old or players in year 3 in the NFL never develop, then why does any team have a practice squad full of these players? Why waste money on these guys? Why do coaches waste time attempting to make them better? 

I guess guys like former WR TJ Houshmandzadeh should have been cut in your eyes.

He didn't say Never

Reply/Quote
Ossai
Battle
Yoshi

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(06-18-2024, 11:27 AM)ochocincos Wrote: Often times, it can take a mid-round pick 2-3 years to really develop.

we're still pushing this Volson will "take the next step" narrative? Enough.

It's because you are of such profound wisdom, Frank Booth. - SunsetBengal
Reply/Quote
I love the fact that Murphy's impressing and can move inside to create mismatches because, with a line that can finally protect Burrow, teams will have to throw to stay in games with us and our pass rushers can just tee-off on the pass rush.

I'm obviously hoping that Volson can finally live up to his potential and I'm glad they think he's finally going to breakout. As mentioned above, our offensive line is the X factor in making a Super Bowl run.

Iosivas is also huge because, like I've said all along, it's hard to guard other talented guys when defenses have to sell-out just to stop Chase, not to mention that we have solid tight ends that can help keep defenses in the middle of the field.

My guy, still, is Chase Brown because I saw something last season that mad me think that he can be a star as a receiver and (not as much) running the ball.

I think Jordan Battle could make some noise this season, even with Bell and Stone on the roster.

It's going to be a hell of a year!
Reply/Quote
(06-18-2024, 12:41 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: If it is true 26-year-old or players in year 3 in the NFL never develop, then why does any team have a practice squad full of these players? Why waste money on these guys? Why do coaches waste time attempting to make them better? 

How many guys that have been on the PS develop into even replacement level starters?

Sure, he can get better.  Will he ever actually be good or even passable is the question.  
Reply/Quote