Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.33 Average
Time to disown Carson Palmer
(02-06-2020, 06:08 PM)Bengalfan4life27c Wrote: It's just the media narrative that we are the worst in NFL even all professional sports just pointing out stiff competition. We have even our own fans saying this. if their was a bracket ncaa tournament style with all 32 teems seeded for most inept NFL franchises we are not even a 1 seed

Mike Brown has spent nearly 30 years creating this legacy.  The media didn't just throw a dart at a map and use that to determine which franchise it was going to rag on.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(02-06-2020, 06:08 PM)Bengalfan4life27c Wrote: It's just the media narrative that we are the worst in NFL even all professional sports just pointing out stiff competition. We have even our own fans saying this. if their was a bracket ncaa tournament style with all 32 teems seeded for most inept NFL franchises we are not even a 1 seed

If we’re talking ownership groups, then yes, the Bengals have one of the 4 or 5 worst groups in American professional sports. In a league set up for parity you have to really screw things up to be as far below .500 as Mike Brown is during his tenure at the helm. The Bengals are my team, but let’s have some real talk here. The Brown family is a laughingstock. Excellence and the pursuit of excellence start at the top of any organization. There’s one big reason the Bengals have failed to exhibit excellence. When ownership sets a pathetic example it’s hard to expect the players to pick up the slack.
Through 2023

Mike Brown’s Owner/GM record: 32 years  223-303-4  .419 winning pct.
Playoff Record:  5-9, .357 winning pct.  
Zac Taylor coaching record, reg. season:  37-44-1. .455 winning pct.
Playoff Record: 5-2, .714 winning pct.
(02-06-2020, 07:33 PM)t3r3e3 Wrote: If we’re talking ownership groups, then yes, the Bengals have one of the 4 or 5 worst groups in American professional sports.  In a league set up for parity you have to really screw things up to be as far below .500 as Mike Brown is during his tenure at the helm.  The Bengals are my team, but let’s have some real talk here.  The Brown family is a laughingstock.  Excellence and the pursuit of excellence start at the top of any organization.  There’s one big reason the Bengals have failed to exhibit excellence.  When ownership sets a pathetic example it’s hard to expect the players to pick up the slack.

What a crock of crap.. in 2015 , halfway into the season,, media was raving about the Bengals... look it up.. over the last decade there are close to half the teams that have worse record than Bengals and less playoff appearances... we are well beyond the worst team over the last 10 years.. 
(02-07-2020, 01:27 AM)Essex Johnson Wrote: What a crock of crap.. in 2015 , halfway into the season,, media was raving about the Bengals... look it up.. over the last decade there are close to half the teams that have worse record than Bengals and less playoff appearances... we are well beyond the worst team over the last 10 years.. 

But, Mike Brown’s tenure spans the past 30 years. You can’t look at the last 1/3rd of his record without considering the initial 2/3rds.
(02-07-2020, 03:11 AM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: But, Mike Brown’s tenure spans the past 30 years. You can’t look at the last 1/3rd of his record without considering the initial 2/3rds.

Plus any illusion that we turned a corner from 2011-2015 has been dispelled by 4 losing seasons capped off by a 2-14 one.  As good as the Dalton/Green era was it has also sunk to lows we haven't seen since the 90s.
(02-07-2020, 03:11 AM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: But, Mike Brown’s tenure spans the past 30 years. You can’t look at the last 1/3rd of his record without considering the initial 2/3rds.

Yes you can.

Cowboy fans complaining about only making the playoffs three times in the last decade don't give a shit that Jerry Jones won three Super Bowls 30  years ago.
(02-07-2020, 01:00 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Yes you can.

Cowboy fans complaining about only making the playoffs three times in the last decade don't give a shit that Jerry Jones won three Super Bowls 30  years ago.

As someone who has spent most of his life around Steeler fans I assure you SBs never lose their luster.

Oy I can only imagine watching Montana kill our SB hope in 2 minutes and then saying "don't worry, were gonna go one and done five straight times in 25 years.  Five times!"
(02-07-2020, 01:27 AM)Essex Johnson Wrote: What a crock of crap.. in 2015 , halfway into the season,, media was raving about the Bengals... look it up.. over the last decade there are close to half the teams that have worse record than Bengals and less playoff appearances... we are well beyond the worst team over the last 10 years.. 

I think we were number 1 in the ESPN power rankings early in 2014 til we ran into the On To Cincinnati buzzsaw too.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
(02-06-2020, 09:26 AM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: Yeah, and you were going to tell us all about it later. That was more disappointing than the series finale of Lost.

THERE WAS NOTHING WRONG WITH THE FINALE OF LOST!!!   Rant Rant Rant

Big Grin

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
We were on a roll for a while and by 2015 it looked like we had a team who could compete for the SB. Injuries bit us worse than anything, but its really the bad drafting that left our cupboard bare at OL and LB. So bad to the point where we were starting players who would otherwise be sitting at home out of the NFL. Most of that bad drafting happened under Marvin, but we all know Tobin and MB had their roles as well. We have high quality skill players still, and enough to rebuild pretty fast if we really build up our OL and Defense. Give Burrow a year for the team to grow around him and we will be right back in it and better than ever imo.
(02-07-2020, 01:00 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Yes you can.

If you go to a redwood forest and press your nose up against a single tree you can’t see the forest because of that one tree blocking your view.
I did this as soon as he quit on the team...
(02-07-2020, 11:44 AM)Nately120 Wrote: Plus any illusion that we turned a corner from 2011-2015 has been dispelled by 4 losing seasons capped off by a 2-14 one.  As good as the Dalton/Green era was it has also sunk to lows we haven't seen since the 90s.

That turning of the corner coincided with the firing of Bratkowski.
(02-06-2020, 06:06 PM)JSR18 Wrote: WhoDey2  I've never intended to write down everything in a thread. I'll answer any and all questions anybody has. However, I prefer to do it in a private message.

If anybody has questions PM me. Have patience though, because I'm leaving tonight (2/6) for FL and a cruise. I will answer any and all questions up until I leave tonight. Otherwise, see you on (2/15)... 

The crux of your behind the scenes story is essentially the same. Palmer demanded Brown make changes for the good of the team and Brown refused. Ultimately, history has proven Palmer was right and it took Brown almost a decade to do what Palmer knew needed to be done. The team immediately improved without Bratkowski. As far as an indoor practice facility, Brown is still half assing that one.
(02-07-2020, 04:45 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: The crux of your behind the scenes story is essentially the same. Palmer demanded Brown make changes for the good of the team and Brown refused. Ultimately, history has proven Palmer was right and it took Brown almost a decade to do what Palmer knew needed to be done. The team immediately improved without Bratkowski.  As far as an indoor practice facility, Brown is still half assing that one.

I'd say he is zero-assing it.  A guy who half asses stuff would eventually get things done in some sense over the pan of nearly 30 years. 

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/executives/BrowMi0.htm

Mike’s stats for the entirety of his reign as owner/GM are at the link above. Here are some stats for you:

Total Seasons: 29

Winning seasons: 7

Division Titles: 4

Playoff wins: 0

Divisional Round Playoff Appearances: 0

Winning percentage 1991-2019: .407

Games under .500: 85

The NFL is set up to promote parity. Winning teams draft late, losers draft early, and no one can outspend the other teams on roster development. Consequently, the best, most consistent teams are those who generally are the best run, best staffed organizations. Those front offices do a better job of team building than their counterparts.

The Bengals under Mike Brown’s tenure are among the league’s least successful organizations, and have the longest Playoff win drought of any team in the NFL. Sure, 2015 was a very good year for the team, and the best overall season since the last Super Bowl run. A year that saw yet another Playoff defeat, and ended the team’s run of 1st round Playoff exits. The team has been better over the last 10-15 years, but they still have zero to show for it. Zero Playoff wins. Zero Lombardi trophies.
Through 2023

Mike Brown’s Owner/GM record: 32 years  223-303-4  .419 winning pct.
Playoff Record:  5-9, .357 winning pct.  
Zac Taylor coaching record, reg. season:  37-44-1. .455 winning pct.
Playoff Record: 5-2, .714 winning pct.
(02-07-2020, 02:39 PM)Nately120 Wrote: As someone who has spent most of his life around Steeler fans I assure you SBs never lose their luster.

Oy I can only imagine watching Montana kill our SB hope in 2 minutes and then saying "don't worry, were gonna go one and done five straight times in 25 years.  Five times!"

Felt good to see the niners lose.   :andy:  
(02-07-2020, 09:48 PM)Bengalitis Wrote: Felt good to see the niners lose.   :andy:  

Ehh would have been nice to see another team have 6 SBs to upset Steeper fans. 
(02-06-2020, 07:33 PM)t3r3e3 Wrote: If we’re talking ownership groups, then yes, the Bengals have one of the 4 or 5 worst groups in American professional sports.  In a league set up for parity you have to really screw things up to be as far below .500 as Mike Brown is during his tenure at the helm.  The Bengals are my team, but let’s have some real talk here.  The Brown family is a laughingstock.  Excellence and the pursuit of excellence start at the top of any organization.  There’s one big reason the Bengals have failed to exhibit excellence.  When ownership sets a pathetic example it’s hard to expect the players to pick up the slack.

(02-07-2020, 01:27 AM)Essex Johnson Wrote: What a crock of crap.. in 2015 , halfway into the season,, media was raving about the Bengals... look it up.. over the last decade there are close to half the teams that have worse record than Bengals and less playoff appearances... we are well beyond the worst team over the last 10 years.. 

Looks like you missed that first sentence Essex.

Mike Brown is consistently mentioned as one of the worst owners in all professional sports regardless of 2015 or 5 recent playoff losses(some embarrassing getting beat by TJ frickin' Yates !).

Then you mention 2015 which still points to the lack of finding a viable starting Center(even though it was a glaring weakness)and then one of the most epic meltdowns in playoff history.

The same praising media you speak of said Marvin should be fired immediately...  crickets...  business as usual and then downward spiral.

Look, people can fudge the numbers from the past decade to the full thirty year tenure as "GM" and owner but he's been terrible.

Marvin Lewis the second longest tenured NFL coach to The Hoodie and he's in the GOAT conversation and first ballot HOF.

That my friend, is a great example of being relaxed/satisfied and not pursuing excellence.

They only made the coaching change due to attendance drops, and for all we know Marvin wanted to leave.

If Zac Taylor and The Family/Tobin don't turn things around this year that will be half of a decade of failure if we're counting only the present situation of the franchise.

Lastly, do you think the rest of the owners in the circle of Billionaires see Brown as an equal?

Seems to me they think he's a dinosaur and actually had to come up with a spending minimum pretty much because he wasn't pulling his weight.

Now that is just sad.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Back to topic.

Carson Palmer.

Someone can be right and still be a prick.

I think he falls in this category for most fans.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]