Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trae Waynes-first major injury of camp
(08-11-2020, 02:15 PM)Geno_Can_Dunk Wrote: Nobody says he doesn't deserve his shot. All I'm saying is that what happened last year isn't proof of anything. And some of the regulars on this board seem to think it is. 

How isn't it proof? dude had 4 Ints last season in limited snaps.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
This sucks bad, but we do have some depth at CB.
Reply/Quote
(08-11-2020, 02:37 PM)J24 Wrote: How isn't it proof? dude had 4 Ints last season in limited snaps.

Because of the limited snaps. It's always risky to extrapolate from limited sample size, and this is truer of DBs than other positions (analytics people will tell you that). 

Did he also get beat in those limited snaps? (answer is yes). If you project it across a season, and not just playing on obvious passing downs, does getting beat start to matter more? What if he's playing other teams' top receivers instead of 3rd or 4th WRs? Were any of those picks due to bad throws? (answer is also yes, Allen and Mayfield both threw him some gifts). Sure, lots of NFL picks come from taking advantage of bad throws, but the reason it's hard to project DB production is because those bad throws aren't always there. 

Again, I like what I see in him too, just trying to tap the breaks on the enthusiasm a little. The above isn't criticism, just questions we don't entirely have answered yet. 
Reply/Quote
(08-11-2020, 12:29 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Sucks, but if we suffer a serious injury I think we have more depth at CB than anywhere else. we can always bring in BW Webb to fill the back end of the depth chart

I just puked in my mouth a little...
Reply/Quote
Phillips kinda reminds me of a Deltha O'Neal in his ball hawk skills but takes a ton of risk. I would be all for bringing in a Tramon Williams to give this CB group some veteran leadership and be the 4th corner. Sure Daniels can talk him into it being both played in GB. Williams despite being 37 had a great 2nd half last year. The Terrence Newman of the NFL right now.
Reply/Quote
At least it's not for a whole season. Yes we need a stop-gap. Dre would be who I would go get. He shouldn't be that expensive to sign.
To each his own... unless you belong to a political party...
Reply/Quote
Did I see a BW Webb reference? How is he actually available?

Geoff Hobson called him "maybe the best slot corner in the league" when he was signed. How is a guy that good not on a roster?
Reply/Quote
(08-11-2020, 08:04 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Did I see a BW Webb reference? How is he actually available?

Geoff Hobson called him "maybe the best slot corner in the league" when he was signed. How is a guy that good not on a roster?

I’m surprised Dre is still available honestly.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(08-11-2020, 11:46 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: It's what happens when you don't work out all offseason.

This^^^

Waynes made it clear he was frustrated that he couldn't really work out, as any injury would cause a failed physical and the inability to complete signing the deal.  So he went into camp without being 100% ready and got injured.
Reply/Quote
Now he's reportedly out for 2 months, longer than he's ever been out for injury before. Wish Bengals could get some extended luck with injuries and just make it to the damn season before a key player goes down. Past few seasons have been brutal.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/29638310/source-bengals-cornerback-trae-waynes-suffers-pectoral-injury
Confucius say, he who go to bed with itchy butt wake up with smelly finger.
Reply/Quote
You should always check the 1st page before starting a thread...

http://thebengalsboard.com/Thread-Trae-Waynes-first-major-injury-of-camp

Reply/Quote
(08-12-2020, 01:40 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: You should always check the 1st page before starting a thread...

http://thebengalsboard.com/Thread-Trae-Waynes-first-major-injury-of-camp

I did but something weird was going on with my cache, after I posted I saw the other thread with 3 pages on it. This has started happening since the upgrade to the Bengals board, not sure why or if it's just a coincidence. I was kind of surprised nobody had posted about it yet.
Confucius say, he who go to bed with itchy butt wake up with smelly finger.
Reply/Quote
(08-11-2020, 09:02 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: This^^^

Waynes made it clear he was frustrated that he couldn't really work out, as any injury would cause a failed physical and the inability to complete signing the deal.  So he went into camp without being 100% ready and got injured.

I suspect his push to get signed was due to the fact he injured himself at home..... but that's just supposition.
Reply/Quote
(08-11-2020, 07:52 AM)pally Wrote: According to Tom Pelissero, Waynes  has a pectoral injury. He is getting a 2nd opinion but looks like he could lose up to two months which includes at least a month of the regular season.

What the heck man? Pectoral injury after complaining about not getting to sign?

I don't know about this dude. He should of been working out at home getting ready instead of complaining.

(08-11-2020, 08:02 AM)Au165 Wrote: This one is a blow. People are about to lose their you know what on me, but it may make sense to grab Dre on a vet minimum contract. With about a month until the first game getting someone back in here who is familiar makes sense, and honestly he is probably one of the ebst available corners left. It doesn't mean he has to start, in fact I'd give Phillis and Alexander every chance to, however you'll want that depth on the outside if things go really bad injury wise.

Always been accused of being a bit of a Kirkpatrick hater, but I am for this, still think Phillips should start.

Phillips played better than Dre last year.
Reply/Quote
(08-12-2020, 08:21 AM)Sled21 Wrote: I suspect his push to get signed was due to the fact he injured himself at home..... but that's just supposition.

I figure more to receive and cash the signing bonus check...
Reply/Quote
Cut him. Being back Dennard with the balance from the wasted dead money
Reply/Quote
(08-12-2020, 08:21 AM)Sled21 Wrote: I suspect his push to get signed was due to the fact he injured himself at home..... but that's just supposition.

Nah, he would have had to pass a physical when he did eventually sign. 
Reply/Quote
(08-13-2020, 08:20 AM)Au165 Wrote: Nah, he would have had to pass a physical when he did eventually sign. 

So, I'm wondering, would a pec tear show up in a physical? Do they make them work out for an NFL physical or is it a normal physical. I would think you would have to do an MRI to find it, and if they weren't suspecting it, would it be something that would stick out? I'm asking because I'm curious. And I'm not saying it's the case he was hiding it, but I wouldn't put it past any player.
Reply/Quote
(08-13-2020, 08:25 AM)Sled21 Wrote: So, I'm wondering, would a pec tear show up in a physical? Do they make them work out for an NFL physical or is it a normal physical. I would think you would have to do an MRI to find it, and if they weren't suspecting it, would it be something that would stick out? I'm asking because I'm curious. And I'm not saying it's the case he was hiding it, but I wouldn't put it past any player.

I am not a doctor, however, my understanding of these evaluations is they are going to generally test your range of motion and such which if you've ever torn your pec you know getting that arm opened up away from your body is going to cause you to grimace. That said, I am sure if the first weight he touched he got hurt it would have been fishy so I am going to probably give him the benefit of the doubt. I am guessing next week the league as a whole will see a lot of soft tissue injuries as they get into more football type drills because of he disrupted off season. 
Reply/Quote
(08-13-2020, 08:37 AM)Au165 Wrote: I am not a doctor, however, my understanding of these evaluations is they are going to generally test your range of motion and such which if you've ever torn your pec you know getting that arm opened up away from your body is going to cause you to grimace. That said, I am sure if the first weight he touched he got hurt it would have been fishy so I am going to probably give him the benefit of the doubt. I am guessing next week the league as a whole will see a lot of soft tissue injuries as they get into more football type drills because of he disrupted off season. 

That's probably right, he probably was trying to do too much too quick to make up for not working out at home. Just seems fishy to me anytime a  player injures themselves right after signing while lifting under the watchful eyes of the trainers.
Reply/Quote