Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tyler Dragon - Bengals may have found their IOL
Tyler Dragon, Bengals writer for Enquirer, tweeted out the following about the OL this morning:

I know many of us felt XSF and Spain were the best Gs on the team, but what are your thoughts on Dragon saying that Spain earned another season in Cincy with his play?

If Spain is re-signed, would you feel comfortable with Spain and XSF as the starters for 2021?
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-22-2020, 02:16 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Tyler Dragon, Bengals writer for Enquirer, tweeted out the following about the OL this morning:

I know many of us felt XSF and Spain were the best Gs on the team, but what are your thoughts on Dragon saying that Spain earned another season in Cincy with his play?

If Spain is re-signed, would you feel comfortable with Spain and XSF as the starters for 2021?

This is such lazy, cheap, short sided and BS way to react to one game

Yeah the Interior OL is Magically fixed!  Lets make the exception create the rule. 

No wonder this team is a 30 year laughingstock.   Every time they actually play average,  we think we have struck gold

Fools
Reply/Quote
I like Spain and think he should be signed. What worries me is Turner will somehow find more ways to play musical chairs and keep trying to play the OLmen out of their natural positions. The OL got better at the end of last year also. Some of that had to do with Johnson's play at OT. So what does Turner do? He makes him an OG. We all know how well that worked out. Its been musical chairs all season. Not a fan of his approach that OLmen can play any OL position.

I like what I saw from them last night but still have 0 faith in Jim Turner. It'll be hard to get any back. Quinton Spain should remain a Bengal though. He's been playing well since we signed him. He's a big dude and can move bodies and open holes.
Reply/Quote
(12-22-2020, 02:19 PM)Wire22Wire Wrote: This is such lazy, cheap, short sided and BS way to react to one game

Yeah the Interior OL is Magically fixed!  Lets make the exception create the rule. 

No wonder this team is a 30 year laughingstock.   Every time they actually play average,  we think we have struck gold

Fools

So I assume your answers are...
No, you don't think Spain should be re-signed?
And if he is, they still need to add another OG (or two) in the offseason?
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(12-22-2020, 02:19 PM)Wire22Wire Wrote: This is such lazy, cheap, short sided and BS way to react to one game

Fools

agreed, and it happens every year

late in the season the players who have been crap all season start playing well, and now everything's fixed

cut to next year and it's bad just like the season before

rinse and repeat
Reply/Quote
I’d bring Spain back for depth at the very least. Still want a big time FA OG though. Especially if we miss out on Sewell.

Reply/Quote
Bring him back but get some competition.make h8m earn the job and the other one will make a nice backup for the inevetable injuries.
Reply/Quote
(12-22-2020, 02:30 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I’d bring Spain back for depth at the very least. Still want a big time FA OG though. Especially if we miss out on Sewell.

Me too. We still need to address the OL. We all had false hopes after they played better at the end of last year also. Then they got Burrow hit all year and eventually badly hurt. But I put that on Turner for sticking with MJ as long as he did. Turner is an idiot, imo. I truly hope he's shown the door.
Reply/Quote
The problem with winning last night is it provides an excuse to once again defer the major surgery needed by this team to become an actual contending franchise.

Honestly, as much as we all love beating the Steelers, winning in week 15 to get to three wins is meaningless other than potentially screwing our draft position.
Reply/Quote
(12-22-2020, 02:35 PM)bengaloo Wrote: Me too. We still need to address the OL. We all had false hopes after they played better at the end of last year also. Then they got Burrow hit all year and eventually badly hurt. But I put that on Turner for sticking with MJ as long as he did. Turner is an idiot, imo. I truly hope he's shown the door.

Lou might have saved his job last night, so if the FO wants ZT to shake up the coaching staff after the season I’d say Tuner is the obvious choice.

Reply/Quote
Spain is ok. Not good. Not bad. Just ok.

I do think we're overreacting to a win. We looked the exact opposite of this against Dallas and terrible against Miami.
Reply/Quote
(12-22-2020, 02:35 PM)bengaloo Wrote: Me too. We still need to address the OL. We all had false hopes after they played better at the end of last year also. Then they got Burrow hit all year and eventually badly hurt. But I put that on Turner for sticking with MJ as long as he did. Turner is an idiot, imo. I truly hope he's shown the door.

I think a big reason to that is because they focused more on the run game the second half of the year last year.
Prior to the bye week last year, Mixon did not have 20+ carries nor 100+ yards in a single game.
Once they changed up their run blocking, he had 100+ yards 4 times and 20+ carries 5 times.

I think most of us thought that even with Burrow, they were going to lean on the run game more to start the season this year than they did.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
I think we still need a stud OG, if we have Sewell, Spain/XSF, Hopkins, Stud FA OG, and Williams. I can live with that next year with the hopes of improving the other guard and center spot the next year.
Reply/Quote
Overreactions to dead cat bounce wins at the end of the year typically prevent us from addressing issues.

How many years do we win a game or too late in the year with nothing on the line? It's what bad teams do.
Reply/Quote
(12-22-2020, 02:52 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Overreactions to dead cat bounce wins at the end of the year typically prevent us from addressing issues.

How many years do we win a game or too late in the year with nothing on the line? It's what bad teams do.

Honestly this hasn't happened as much as you think. 2016 probably one time and before that you probably have to go back to 2007ish. 
Reply/Quote
(12-22-2020, 02:55 PM)Rubekahn29 Wrote: Honestly this hasn't happened as much as you think. 2016 probably one time and before that you probably have to go back to 2007ish. 

It happened alot in the 90s, but yes under Marvin we were generally respectable.

Shula won a couple games late in the year...I know.
Reply/Quote
(12-22-2020, 02:52 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Overreactions to dead cat bounce wins at the end of the year typically prevent us from addressing issues.

It's what bad teams do and it's what a desperate fanbase clings to.  To beat the Steelers on MNF is awesome and I won't take that away.  But you'd swear with the swagger around here that we just won the Superbowl.  We've won THREE games this year.  We've won FIVE games in nearly two full seasons under Zac.  We've yet to win a road game, yet to put together a string of any kind that matters.  We put 230 total yards on the field last night.  

A win feels great.  Every time.  A win on MNF in front of the nation gives some credibility.  A win over the Steelers feels even better.  But there is real danger that the org rests on their laurels after last night, regardless of what the next two games look like, and continues on status quo for next year.

Celebrate.  Piss on your neighbor's Steeler's flag.  Enjoy the feeling.  But demand that this team gives us that feeling more than once every other month through the football season.

To the original thread topic... I think they've found their interior OL.  For the remainder of this season.  And then they need to address it and bulk it in the offseason.  
Reply/Quote
(12-22-2020, 02:30 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I’d bring Spain back for depth at the very least. Still want a big time FA OG though. Especially if we miss out on Sewell.

This. I will say the interior has been better since XSF and Spain have joined the mix. Also, it was good to see Spain in Okorafor's face after he shoved Mac. He does at least have a bit of a mean streak.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
XSF has been underwelming.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
Reply/Quote
(12-22-2020, 02:49 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Spain is ok. Not good. Not bad. Just ok.

I do think we're overreacting to a win. We looked the exact opposite of this against Dallas and terrible against Miami.

Yep, and ok is better than MJ....lol.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote