Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Tyler Eifert
Is trying to jog for the first time today since his surgery.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/08/22/tyler-eifert-trying-to-jog-for-first-time-since-surgery/

I'm sorry, but if you're just now trying to jog for the first time and we're what, 3 weeks away from the season? This is just jogging... forget sprinting, cutting, and starting and stopping. He is simply not going to be ready to start the season.

I was leaning towards him being carried on the roster and only missing 2-3 games, but now I might be leaning more towards him going on the PUP.

It's been almost what, 7 months since the Pro Bowl?

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(08-22-2016, 05:02 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Is trying to jog for the first time today since his surgery.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/08/22/tyler-eifert-trying-to-jog-for-first-time-since-surgery/

I'm sorry, but if you're just now trying to jog for the first time and we're what, 3 weeks away from the season? This is just jogging... forget sprinting, cutting, and starting and stopping. He is simply not going to be ready to start the season.

I was leaning towards him being carried on the roster and only missing 2-3 games, but now I might be leaning more towards him going on the PUP.

I'm with you on this.  Some of our medical experts in here, say it's protocol to give severe sprains time to heal on their own.  Just keep in mind the Bengals 'crack medical staff' is the same one who said Marvin Jones would be back and that Burfict was coming back much, much sooner than he actually did.
Reply/Quote
I'm not entirely convinced he makes it back before mid-season at best.

Frankly, they could come out tomorrow and say he's out for the year and it wouldn't surprise me.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
(08-22-2016, 05:15 PM)bengalguy71 Wrote: I'm with you on this.  Some of our medical experts in here, say it's protocol to give severe sprains time to heal on their own.  Just keep in mind the Bengals 'crack medical staff' is the same one who said Marvin Jones would be back and that Burfict was coming back much, much sooner than he actually did.

Marvin Jones was cleared to come back to practice that year after injuring his foot.  Upon returning he was injured again (this time his ankle) and then was placed on IR.  Can;t really blame the medical staff on that one.
Reply/Quote
What's the status on Kroft

Eifert won't be back anytime soon.
Reply/Quote
(08-22-2016, 05:27 PM)Whacked Wrote: What's the status on Kroft

Eifert won't be back anytime soon.

Latest I heard was that he was working on the rehab field today.  Still targeting a week 1 return.  
Reply/Quote
Three weeks is a long time for rehab.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(08-22-2016, 06:04 PM)J24 Wrote: Three weeks is a long time for rehab.

For normal people rehab, perhaps. But he's not trying to get back to the level of a normal casual life. He's trying to get back to sprinting, juking, and planting his foot to stop at an elite athletic level vs other non-hurt elite athletes.

That seems like it's going to take longer.

Reply/Quote
(08-22-2016, 05:29 PM)NKYRob Wrote: Latest I heard was that he was working on the rehab field today.  Still targeting a week 1 return.  

Sweet Jesus that's good news. 
Reply/Quote
(08-22-2016, 06:10 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: For normal people rehab, perhaps. But he's not trying to get back to the level of a normal casual life. He's trying to get back to sprinting, juking, and planting his foot to stop at an elite athletic level vs other non-hurt elite athletes.

That seems like it's going to take longer.

And he is an elite athlete who is used to cutting,juking, and sprinting at an elite level. It's not like he is some average Joe trying to get in elite football shape. 
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(08-22-2016, 06:37 PM)J24 Wrote: And he is an elite athlete who is used to cutting,juking, and sprinting at an elite level. It's not like he is some average Joe trying to get in elite football shape. 

I'm not talking about getting into shape. (Even though that's an issue too.)

I'm talking about the fact that when most people rehab, they're rehabbing so they can walk up and down stairs, drive their car, go to work, etc. In that case, yes, two weeks of rehab is a decent amount of time.

This guy isn't just trying to walk up and down stairs, he is rehabbing so he can explode his 250+ pounds down a field from a standstill into a sprint, stop on a dime, plant his foot in the ground, and use his ankle to pivot all that momentum in or out, leap into the air, and then absorb the impact of that 250+ pounds (plus maybe a 200lb guy hanging on him) landing on the ground.

It's a different level/length of rehab.

Reply/Quote
(08-22-2016, 08:49 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: I'm not talking about getting into shape. (Even though that's an issue too.)

I'm talking about the fact that when most people rehab, they're rehabbing so they can walk up and down stairs, drive their car, go to work, etc. In that case, yes, two weeks of rehab is a decent amount of time.

This guy isn't just trying to walk up and down stairs, he is rehabbing so he can explode his 250+ pounds down a field from a standstill into a sprint, stop on a dime, plant his foot in the ground, and use his ankle to pivot all that momentum in or out, leap into the air, and then absorb the impack of that 250+ pounds (plus maybe a 200lb guy hanging on him) landing on the ground.

It's a different level/length of rehab.

I totally agree.

I still don't think the PUP is the way to go. If he rehabs for 6 weeks, he's good to go for Miami no? I guess I'm not taking setbacks into account... He's seemed to have his share of them already.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(08-22-2016, 05:29 PM)NKYRob Wrote: Latest I heard was that he was working on the rehab field today.  Still targeting a week 1 return.  

Tyler will start the second game of our season against the stinkin stoolers and he will be the difference maker catching the winning TD late in the fourth quarter with time running out and the stinkdog stooler crazyies will freak out.WHO-DEY ALL DAY.
Reply/Quote
(08-22-2016, 05:02 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Is trying to jog for the first time today since his surgery.

Not trying to sound like the eternal optimist, but with all the extra treatments available to him, the fact that he is already doing weight-bearing exercise on it is a very good sign.  These injuries go through stages of healing and once it can bear weight, they will begin manipulation exercises and work on the flexibility of the ankle.  

In more basic terms, I have blown out an ankle with massive ligament damage in baseball.  Six weeks later, I was able to swim while using my legs completely.  It was very stiff at first, but it loosened up over time.  Surgery here helped him "clean out" the scar tissue which would actually help speed healing and range of motion.  

I bet he misses two games. And comes back with a 4 reception, 80 yard effort...with a TD to boot 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-22-2016, 09:24 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: Not trying to sound like the eternal optimist, but with all the extra treatments available to him, the fact that he is already doing weight-bearing exercise on it is a very good sign.  These injuries go through stages of healing and once it can bear weight, they will begin manipulation exercises and work on the flexibility of the ankle.  

In more basic terms, I have blown out an ankle with massive ligament damage in baseball.  Six weeks later, I was able to swim while using my legs completely.  It was very stiff at first, but it loosened up over time.  Surgery here helped him "clean out" the scar tissue which would actually help speed healing and range of motion.  

I bet he misses two games. And comes back with a 4 reception, 80 yard effort...with a TD to boot 

I'd probably take that bet. He's only had 80 yards or more in 1 of his 29 games (31 if you count postseason).

I sure hope he is ready earlier, only misses a game or two, and beasts out for the other 14-15, but I am just not sure I see that happening. They initially said it'd be a short recovery. Then they said he'd be ready for Week 1. Now it's pretty much widely assumed he will miss Week 1.

The optimism being pushed back each time makes me think it'll be more than 2.

But yeah, hope you're right.

Reply/Quote
(08-22-2016, 09:48 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: I'd probably take that bet. He's only had 80 yards or more in 1 of his 29 games (31 if you count postseason).

I sure hope he is ready earlier, only misses a game or two, and beasts out for the other 14-15, but I am just not sure I see that happening. They initially said it'd be a short recovery. Then they said he'd be ready for Week 1. Now it's pretty much widely assumed he will miss Week 1.

The optimism being pushed back each time makes me think it'll be more than 2.

But yeah, hope you're right.

Hasn't Eifert only been in a patial postseason game? I thought he was out with a shoulder issue 2013, 2014 he was obviously out, and in 2015 he only played until he got hurt during the game.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Why isn't Burfict practicing?
Reply/Quote
What about all the other tight ends that are hurt? Our training and conditioning staffs are as bad as they come sans one. At least we don't have to endure the ultimate shit of Kremchek like the Reds do.
Reply/Quote
(08-22-2016, 11:44 PM)tlotharw Wrote:   Our training and conditioning staffs are as bad as they come sans one. 

Same staff we had last year when we were the healthiest team in the league.
Reply/Quote
(08-22-2016, 11:52 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Same staff we had last year when we were the healthiest team in the league.

Then what do you attribute accomplishing nothing last year to?  And the last five years?
Reply/Quote