Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Uh yeah Tate can go on the practice squad (sarcasm)
(08-17-2018, 03:47 PM)fredtoast Wrote: If this were true then every team in the league would be starting two 6'5" WRs who can jump.  Those type of guys are not exactly unicorns.

I think too many people are too infatuated with a guy just because he is 6'5".

Now you sound like the tard from the other thread. You just lumped all 6 ‘5” guys as the same. Some have better leaping ability , ball skills or can get the ball at the highest point. This guy has a knack. I’m not saying he’s the next megaton and guys with his size that did bust never were this dominant in camp. IE Mike Willians , Rodgers etc. when’s the last time a rookie has jumped out like this in Training camp ? I seriously think we might have something here.
Reply/Quote
(08-17-2018, 04:32 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: Not all WRs go up and get the ball from the air... 

Not saying Tate should be our number 2 WR  Far from it but he would be an excellent addition for our Red zone or 3rd down package. Especially if they are planning on limiting Eiferts Snaps.

Hes not fast so no team would want 2 starting but that doesn't make him not useful.

Yep the Hype is high on the kid right now because we have little else to talk about at the moment.

But if he can stay consistant and show his hands are as good as they have been... A Package with AJ Eifert and Tate in the Redzone worst case scenario you can put a high jump ball to tate in the corner.

Agree mang
Reply/Quote
(08-17-2018, 03:16 PM)Socal Bengals fan Wrote: Tate is legit.  It doesn’t matter who’s lined up in front of him be it practice or preseason.  My bold prediction Tate starts at #2 wr by end of day the year and Boyd at slot receiver.  Loved how he high points the ball.

Don't know if he'll be # 2, but I agree it's possible.   I don't think Ross will pan out consistently and this guy has a knack.   I think he'll make a lot of plays for us this year, and not just in the red zone.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-17-2018, 06:45 PM)Socal Bengals fan Wrote: Now you sound like the tard from the other thread.  You just lumped all 6 ‘5” guys as the same.  Some have better leaping ability , ball skills or can get the ball at the highest point.  This guy has a knack.  I’m not saying he’s the next megaton and guys with his size that did bust never were this dominant in camp. IE Mike Willians , Rodgers etc.   when’s the last time a rookie has jumped out like this in Training camp ?  I seriously think we might have something here.

Not like Auden has been going against punks all the time either. I saw him beat Dennard in TC who is a very good CB
in the NFL. I want to see him going against 1's and see what he does. You are correct, he has a knack for pin pointing
the ball at its highest point with his hands and frame.

He isn't just some tall guy.
Reply/Quote
(08-17-2018, 03:52 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Doesn't matter if you are 10 foot tall if you cannot catch.

Auden Tate has great hands and knows how to pin point the ball in a rare way.

Right !

I don't think anybody is proclaiming Tate the best WR since Jerry Rice, an All Pro shoe in or nothing. 

But look at this tape: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KEcYU_fwaqU

Have you heard announcers talking about high pointing the ball, watch the catch at 1:10, perfectly timed jump. There have been many very good WR's that can't do this that well. Again at 2:43 perfectly timed jump. The next catch at 3:00 just excellent timing on the jump.

Then watch the catch at 4:00, he's running route looking inside and catches the ball on turning to the outside while blocking out defender.

Tate just possess that god given ability to adjust to the ball in the air, to time jumps with precision, in other words he gets to the ball even balls not perfectly thrown.

Great hand eye coordination, excellent depth perception, that extra determination and will needed to get to the ball - period. I'm not in any way saying we should let AJ go and roll with Tate, however..........

I want to see more of this young man
Reply/Quote
(08-17-2018, 06:34 PM)Shady Wrote: He's more valuable to us right now than Cody Core as a WR. 

I agree Shady, now; it's only one preseason game, but the guy definitely has good hands and isn't afraid to mix it up. As far as speed, how many guys on this board can beat a 4.7? Not all very good (if not great ) wide receivers aren't necessarily fast, but they still find ways to get open and catch the ball. He reminds me of the guy that was on the Ravens, and then went to the Lions I think, but I'm drawing a blank as to who that is. Big, physical, perhaps not really super fast, but can get open and CATCH the ball, looks like a keeper to me at least so far.
Reply/Quote
I remember when people wanted AJM over Dalton...That might be even better than this lol

[Image: tumblr_nmz43uky8c1rtim7ko1_500.gif]

Feel free to support my Film/TV Review YouTube Channel  - Youtube.Com/NaterTot
Reply/Quote
I dont think I'm quite solid on him yet like alot of people are but one thing he has going for him; Dalton loves to throw the ball high.
Reply/Quote
My last name is Tate too. And I have always said this:

“Don’t be a Tater Hater”
Reply/Quote
(08-17-2018, 07:43 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Right !

I don't think anybody is proclaiming Tate the best WR since Jerry Rice, an All Pro shoe in or nothing. 

But look at this tape: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KEcYU_fwaqU

Have you heard announcers talking about high pointing the ball, watch the catch at 1:10, perfectly timed jump. There have been many very good WR's that can't do this that well. Again at 2:43 perfectly timed jump. The next catch at 3:00 just excellent timing on the jump.

Then watch the catch at 4:00, he's running route looking inside and catches the ball on turning to the outside while blocking out defender.

Tate just possess that god given ability to adjust to the ball in the air, to time jumps with precision, in other words he gets to the ball even balls not perfectly thrown.

Great hand eye coordination, excellent depth perception, that extra determination and will needed to get to the ball - period. I'm not in any way saying we should let AJ go and roll with Tate, however..........

I want to see more of this young man

Well you've certainly painted a rosy future for Tate, but one catch in on preseason game against the Bears 3rd stringers isn't exactly going to  get him into the HOF..  
HEY, I hope you're absolutely correct about the kid,  but  it's been a really small sample size so far. We really don't know how he'll do against top defenders around the league so I think it's premature to start annointing him the next coming of megatron..  We know nothing about his depth perception. For all we truly know it was just plain dumb luck that he even came down with the ball at all..
I wish I had a dime for every receiver who was a presesson stud ,but disappeared the rest of the season. I could buy out the entire Brown family and have my own heliport built to take me to every game and take me to my own private luxury booth on the 50 yardline in every stadium in the league . lol

On the other hand the fact that he wore #18 in college could be a good omen for the team   ..
I certainly don't recall this much excitement or hype about a 7th round receiver in recent memory . It's absolutely rare.. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(08-17-2018, 11:57 PM)grampahol Wrote: Well you've certainly painted a rosy future for Tate, but one catch in on preseason game against the Bears 3rd stringers isn't exactly going to  get him into the HOF..  
HEY, I hope you're absolutely correct about the kid,  but  it's been a really small sample size so far. We really don't know how he'll do against top defenders around the league so I think it's premature to start annointing him the next coming of megatron..  We know nothing about his depth perception. For all we truly know it was just plain dumb luck that he even came down with the ball at all..
I wish I had a dime for every receiver who was a presesson stud ,but disappeared the rest of the season. I could buy out the entire Brown family and have my own heliport built to take me to every game and take me to my own private luxury booth on the 50 yardline in every stadium in the league . lol

On the other hand the fact that he wore #18 in college could be a good omen for the team   ..
I certainly don't recall this much excitement or hype about a 7th round receiver in recent memory . It's absolutely rare.. 

Evidently you missed where I said nobody is saying he's the next Jerry Rice, or I'm not ready to let AJ go ? And I never mentioned the HOF, So I'm not sure how I painted a "rosy future" ?

You do understand that timing your jump to high point the ball, using your hands to catch the ball, being able to adjust to the ball after it's in the air have absolutely ZILCH to do with what string defender's are in the game, right ?

Look I'm not proclaiming the man is an All World receiver. I'm simply saying he seems to have a skillset that can't really be taught. And I'd like to see more of him especially against better defenders earlier in the rest of the preseason games.

I knew basically nothing of Tate predraft but quite frankly what I've seen since in the game and college tape I'm surprised he fell as far as he did in the draft. And I'd be willing to bet if we put him on the PS he'll be snatched up in a minute.

Could he be a total flop ? absolutely

But I've got a feeling we might of just found a diamond in the rough.
Reply/Quote
(08-17-2018, 09:17 AM)Wyche Wrote: ......I think it's safe to say that if they don't give the kid a roster spot, they're out of their collective minds.

There's no way he doesn't not only make the team, but dress on game days.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(08-17-2018, 07:52 PM)Bengalsrob Wrote: I agree Shady, now; it's only one preseason game, but the guy definitely has good hands and isn't afraid to mix it up. As far as speed, how many guys on this board can beat a 4.7? Not all very good (if not great ) wide receivers aren't necessarily fast, but they still find ways to get open and catch the ball. He reminds me of the guy that was on the Ravens, and then went to the Lions I think, but I'm drawing a blank as to who that is. Big, physical, perhaps not really super fast, but can get open and CATCH the ball, looks like a keeper to me at least so far.

I don't know if you're talking about Anquon Boldin, but I think he fits your description. 
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
Reply/Quote
Bill Lazor has come across a good problem. he now has a 6'5 WR that is very raw. his route tree is limited coming out of FSU. but his upside is intriqing. somehow hes starting cement a spot on the 53 man roster
Lazor and Lewis are asking themselves ...how can we get Tate on the field much like Lawson and Eifert.
the less is more model?
Tate unlike Core has a higher ceiling to reach. Core maxed out his abiiity l already.
Tate is getting by on pure atheletism now. wait till he LEARNS the position.
Tate is being brought slowly. hes still the 5th WR on the depth chart. Malone and Boyd are playing really good now.
Tate has no pressure to be a right away contributor unlike Warrick Dugans or Ross.
he can learn from Green Malone Boyd and just let the game come to him.
i cant see a 4th cb being able to contain him.in the red zone.
Tate can run the same routes Eifert runs. that would help wear tear on Eifert.
you cant teach catch radius or size.
Reply/Quote
(08-17-2018, 03:15 PM)GodFather Wrote: How pissed would you be if Tate went practice squad and another team picked him up, say the Pats and he became Brady's number one go to guy? 

If he keeps the Steelers from the SB ill take it. 
Reply/Quote
I'm excited about Tate big time and would be bumming out if he ended up getting cut. I dont think he would clear waivers after the first 10 minutes he was cut, so I personally dont see him as a PS guy. Here's why in my mind...

1. I cant remember a WR generating so much hype for the spectacular catches as a rookie in camp since Green.
2. I also dont remember ever hearing AJ Green praise a rookie WR for his gifted abilities ever. Auden Tate is the first one I've heard that much praise
3. After he was drafted, a whole bunch of the draft pundit folks predicted he could end up a major steal. Not just one or two, I heard a good amount of people saying that right after we drafted him.
4. Then he gets in the game against the Bears and makes 3 pretty insane catches in a row, and made it look easy.
5. Listen to his interviews and read his history. He's a good guy with a good attitude. Humble and soft spoken. Thats the kind of player I like.
Reply/Quote
(08-18-2018, 03:35 AM)impactplaya Wrote: Bill Lazor has come across a good problem. he now has a 6'5 WR that is very raw. his route tree is limited coming out  of FSU. but his upside is intriqing. somehow hes starting cement a spot on the 53 man roster
Lazor and Lewis are asking themselves ...how can we get Tate on the  field much like Lawson and Eifert.
the less is more model?
Tate unlike Core has a higher ceiling to reach. Core maxed out his abiiity l already.
Tate is getting by on pure atheletism now. wait till he LEARNS the position.
Tate is being brought slowly. hes still the 5th WR on the depth chart. Malone and Boyd are playing really good now.
Tate has no pressure to be a right away contributor unlike Warrick Dugans or Ross.
he can learn from Green Malone Boyd and just let the game come to him.
i cant see a 4th cb being able to contain him.in the red zone.
Tate can run the same routes Eifert runs. that would help wear tear on Eifert.
you cant teach catch radius or size.

You literally just made 90% of that up and are claiming it like fact. 
Reply/Quote
Well, from what Hobson is quoting from Simmons he'll have to do well on special teams to make the team and apparently will get his chance to make a mark tonight against Dallas. I get it.. Young guys who are just barely getting their shots have to have other skills besides just catching balls. There's only so many openings among wide receivers so they have to have other skills.. I hope he makes it, but I'm not counting on him necessarily knocking anyone else off among WRs.. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
I haven't seen a rookie WR get this much hype since Armon Binns!
Reply/Quote
(08-18-2018, 05:05 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I haven't seen a rookie WR get this much hype since Armon Binns!

Core got plenty of hype. I was guilty of it myself.

Reply/Quote