Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Unpopular opinions/Hot takes
(01-22-2021, 11:06 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Throw out your hot takes or unpopular opinions. I'll throw out a few to get us started:

1. Willie Anderson > Whitworth.

2. After the season Herbert just had, I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a little fearful that he may wind up being even better than Burrow.

3. Skyline is superior to Goldstar in everything except variety on the menu.

4. After the breakout year by Higgins, I don't think WR is really a need, and I'd probably pass on Chase, even if Sewell is gone. I don't like the thought of taking a 6' WR that high anyway. I'd consider trading back and nabbing a different lineman or a TE.

So what's your hot take or unpopular opinion?

And any one of Price Hill Chili, Camp Washington Chili, or Blue Ash Chili is better than Skyline or Goldstar.

UDF is better than Graeters

Spicy goetta is better than sausage

All non-BBQ versions of Grippos are trash, but still better than anything Husman’s makes.

Frisch’s is a terrible restaurant.

Herbert will be the best QB out of last year’s draft class.

Trayveon Williams will lead the Bengals in rushing yards in 2022
Through 2023

Mike Brown’s Owner/GM record: 32 years  223-303-4  .419 winning pct.
Playoff Record:  5-9, .357 winning pct.  
Zac Taylor coaching record, reg. season:  37-44-1. .455 winning pct.
Playoff Record: 5-2, .714 winning pct.
Reply/Quote
(01-22-2021, 11:06 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Throw out your hot takes or unpopular opinions. I'll throw out a few to get us started:

2. After the season Herbert just had, I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a little fearful that he may wind up being even better than Burrow.

4. After the breakout year by Higgins, I don't think WR is really a need, and I'd probably pass on Chase, even if Sewell is gone. I don't like the thought of taking a 6' WR that high anyway. I'd consider trading back and nabbing a different lineman or a TE.

All Cincinnati Style Chili is awful and the Cincinnati Chili Trail is a business class ticket to diarrhea.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-22-2021, 11:06 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Throw out your hot takes or unpopular opinions. I'll throw out a few to get us started:

Higgins or Boyd get injured, and who do we have left? WR is absolutely a need.
Reply/Quote
(01-23-2021, 11:33 AM)t3r3e3 Wrote: Trayveon Williams will lead the Bengals in rushing yards butt fumbles in 2022

ThumbsUp
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(01-23-2021, 11:33 AM)t3r3e3 Wrote: And any one of Price Hill Chili, Camp Washington Chili, or Blue Ash Chili is better than Skyline or Goldstar.

UDF is better than Graeters

Spicy goetta is better than sausage

All non-BBQ versions of Grippos are trash, but still better than anything Husman’s makes.

Frisch’s is a terrible restaurant.

Herbert will be the best QB out of last year’s draft class.

Trayveon Williams will lead the Bengals in rushing yards in 2022

The Big Boy is my favorite sandwich. Unfortunately, they've closed about half or better of their locations in Louisville since covid hit.
Reply/Quote
(01-22-2021, 11:28 PM)PDub80 Wrote: I'll play along....

1: Zac Taylor has had genuinely bad luck. I can't reasonably point to a pattern of poor head coaching decisions that would come down to him making that has lead to losses and I can genuinely see improvements over Marvin coached team. The players have let him down much more often than not.

2: Mike Brown gives his coaches a lot more of what they ask for than he gets credit for. He just refuses to throw them under the bus like other owners.

3: Mellow Yellow is the champagne of pop.

4: Duncan Donuts is trash... all of it.

5: Arby's had the best fast food breakfast, HANDS DOWN.

My 40 years in Law Enforcement  as a donut expert vehemently disagrees with you.
Reply/Quote
(01-23-2021, 03:36 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Well I kinda figured it would lead to some debate, but I was hoping to see more lists than debate. Silly me.

I've seen a lot of people on the Gold Star side through the years. Maybe that has faded a bit since I left the area (2014)? I honestly miss the stuff so badly that my Wife ordered me a Skyline hoodie for Christmas. Too bad I can't eat the hoodie. Mellow

Skyline is better on a cheese coney, Gold Star is better on Spaghetti.  I ate at a chili parlor over in Campbell Co. last time I was up there, I can't remember the name of it but it was one of the older chili parlors. Thicker chili, was really good, but I still would rank it 3rd.
Reply/Quote

Love it.  And, FWIW, I completely agree with #1 and #3, but not #2 and #4...I know you didn' task, but...

#2:  I see Burrow as being able to handle so much more than the average QB, not just in terms of athleticism, but above the neck.  Herbert had a really nice rookie season, but might have also showed just how much Tyrod was holding back a solid team.  

#4: I want a WR that is a vertical threat but can do it all.  I also want a leader, an alpha on that WR corps like we had with AJ in his prime and Chad in his.  I am not ready to pass on Sewell at #5 (or a HAUL of draft picks if he is there), but if not, I want Chase.  Burrow with Higgins, Boyd, Chase, Sample/Uzo, and Mixon with a decent offensive line (that I believe they will have) could match up with any offense.  The Chiefs took a first round RB last year.  Offense is what has these teams in the final four.  

My "hot take/unpopular opinions":

The Bengals will be in the playoff next year.  This next season.   Burrow starts and completes the season healthy and the Bengals are 10-6 and enter the wild card.

Giovanni Bernard is a very important part of this offense, and I am keeping him next season.  I want to see a true ROTATION between him and Mixon.  Not by downs.  Not the stupid, "it's third down, time to take our best receiving/best overall back off the field".  No longer.  Mixon goes two series, Bernard goes one.  If Mixon starts slow, Bernard will get a second series.  Nothing pushes a man like competition.  This will get Mixon involved more in the receiving game as well.

I don't want a veteran LB on the team again.  Bynes was solid, but I want to see Wilson and Pratt as the Nickel, and a SAM-MIKE-WILL combo of Wilson-Pratt-ADG.  The offense was better when we went young.  The defense can be as well.  

I am not bringing back Geno.  That hurts to say, but I am all-in on young players right now. 

I am sticking with Brandon Allen as our backup QB.   In a ridiculous position where he was the "break glass in case of emergency" QB, he came in and performed very well with minimal time practicing with the team.  I want a guy that worked as hard as he did on the roster.  I don't blame the Baltimore game on him at all, as you see what happens to the offense when the paper-thin depth at WR is tested.  

I believe the new uniforms will have some kind of Karma-breaking spell and the Bengals will win their first playoff game next year.  Yep, I didn't just double down on making the playoffs, I said they will win one.  

The AFC North next year will look like this, from 1st to 4th:  

Browns
Bengals
Ravens
steelers

That is all. 
Reply/Quote
(01-23-2021, 11:57 AM)Sled21 Wrote: My 40 years in Law Enforcement  as a donut expert vehemently disagrees with you.

You ever had donuts from Giant Eagle?

Pretty good for a chain grocery store bakery.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(01-23-2021, 12:22 AM)Hammerstripes Wrote: That's far from a hot take.  Willie was the 2nd best OT we ever had, and it's really not even close. 

But have you ever noticed the love WHit gets Nationally?  I don't remember a national guy ever saying anything about Willie.   Now, to be fair, that is when I was at all the home games and I watched the game on DVR (Tivo?) with the sound off....
Reply/Quote
(01-23-2021, 03:36 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Well I kinda figured it would lead to some debate, but I was hoping to see more lists than debate. Silly me.

I've seen a lot of people on the Gold Star side through the years. Maybe that has faded a bit since I left the area (2014)? I honestly miss the stuff so badly that my Wife ordered me a Skyline hoodie for Christmas. Too bad I can't eat the hoodie. Mellow

We used to deliver cans of the stuff (lots of cans) to my sister when she lived in St. Charles outside of Chicago.  They eat it almost once a week.  She moved to Tampa, and believe it or not, there is a Skyline not too far from where they live.  I guess if enough Ohioans snowbird or retire to the south, there is a market.  

I love the stuff.  Currently on a pretty strict "plan" to cut up like I was when I was ready for Master's Nationals (swim) in the beginning of 2020.  I was a ripped 190 lbs.  Enter COVID killing the meet, bourbon nightly (usually only one or two, at least during the week) and only lifting with no cardio (that is where I do my swimming....No lane space during COVID....had to "reserve" a lane for half an hour and that isn't how my schedule worked).  Down to 205 from a beefy 235 lbs.  I am not shaving until I hit 190.  One month to go looking like Santa Claus's recently divorced twin that opened a Tinder account.  

Needless to say, I am going to hit 189 lbs and then go eat Skyline:)
Reply/Quote
(01-23-2021, 12:06 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: But have you ever noticed the love WHit gets Nationally?  I don't remember a national guy ever saying anything about Willie.   Now, to be fair, that is when I was at all the home games and I watched the game on DVR (Tivo?) with the sound off....

Probably because Whit plays LT.

Reply/Quote
Quote:Natty Light is the best beer ever...
Uhmm... Kind of like the old Schlitz commercial slogan, "When you're out of Schlitz (Nati Light) You're out of money.."
Great stuff for the ultra budget conscious hard core alcoholic.  
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(01-23-2021, 04:36 AM)J24 Wrote: Marvin lewis was a good coach - Good is the perfect word....Good enough to get to playoffs, not great enough to win when he got there

Hue Jackson would be a better fit than Zac as Head Coach( agreed not saying much)- Agreed

2005 team< 2011-2015 team- Agreed

Whitworth> Anderson- Disagree

Carson was better than Dalton but Dalton had the better Bengals career.- PERFECTLY summarized.

We are drafting a CB with our first RD pick in the draft.( I think we will trade down)- I would hate this, but think it has a high likelihood of occurring given I think WJIII wants to go elsewhere.  Groan.  There goes Chase.  

Bobby Hart won't be cut-  It we have to go unproven RT (Spencer Brown, Daniel Faalele) this actually makes a lot of sense, but will also bring a lot of board hate (what doesn't)???

Geno is the 2nd best Bengal ever.-  Perfect, again.  

The front office should tag & trade Carl Lawson this off-season because there is a high probability that he doesn't sign a long term contract with us.-  Disagree.  I hope he accepts a 4 year deal that reflects his average contributions and project him being healthier going forward.  Something like 4 year for 0 million, with a solid guarantee.  I don't think Tag and Trade happens often and I don't know if it would also yield the two first picks, so I guess I am calling that one a no by ignorance.  

I know you didn't ask for my feedback, nor did the OP, but I felt compelled to respond to a number of your takes, because you absolutely nailed a few of them in my eyes.  
Reply/Quote
The Brown family, IF they continue to breed in some form or another MIGHT actually produce another chip off the old block of Paul Brown in the far distant future.. Of course this means Mike Brown's great grandkids will have all died from old age first, but never give up the faith that someday....
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(01-23-2021, 10:05 AM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Burrow held onto the ball too long and took many unnecessary hits because of that.

Hart isn’t as bad as everyone says.

Hopkins isn’t a good center.

When all his receivers are of similar ilk (don't generate immediate separation, and routes take a while to develop), this is what happens.

Remember Kurt Warner?  I do...love that man.  He would stay in the pocket and wait for that WR to make his final break, deliver the ball, and get blasted.  He had three elite WRs, but almost everything was down the field.  Sure, they ate up teams with poor secondaries, but also left Warner with a short career.  I want ZT to have more slants and screens, but have that third WR be someone elite.  The offense is close.  If you get Chase, and interior lineman that is a big upgrade at RG, and a guy to take over for Hart at RT, the offense will soar.  Do it while they can afford a team around Joe.  
Reply/Quote
(01-23-2021, 10:50 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I will not sit idly by and have a beloved Cincinnati institution besmirched by you uncultured swine!

Graeter’s Black Raspberry Chocolate Chip has no equal. Everything else is shit in comparison.

I don't like ice cream, and I don't even like chocolate, but this post is dead on.  I think they put crack in it or something....
Reply/Quote
(01-23-2021, 11:57 AM)Sled21 Wrote: My 40 years in Law Enforcement  as a donut expert vehemently disagrees with you.

A sincere thank you for your 40 years of service and keeping people safe. Public servants as yourself
Are criminally under appreciated and painted in a bad light 
Reply/Quote

First of all, thank you for your service to your community.

Second, have you ever had Bill's Donuts, from my neighborhood?  (Centerville)?

If we ever have a tailgate before a game (F* Covid) when all this shit is gone, I will bring a ton of their donuts as early AM sugar fuel for the day.  I have dreams about their donuts.  Made fresh 24 hours a day.  Eat one of their Cinnamon Roll donuts or a butter twist with a good coffee and you will know the meaning of happiness.  
Reply/Quote
Adding one piece in FA and drafting one of the best tackles in the draft probably won’t fix the line. Half assing this won’t work.

I don’t like Patrick Surtain for the bengals I think fairly or a few of the 2nd round cbs are better for them.

Skyline has really good wraps, probably the best of any fast food chains.

I think a good, creamy coleslaw is seriously underrated and one of the best sides with almost any meal.
Reply/Quote