Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Unpopular opinions/Hot takes
(01-23-2021, 12:42 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Holtman’s have the best donuts in Cincinnati for my money.

I wonder how many people in here know about Moonrise Donuts in Latonia?

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(01-23-2021, 02:27 PM)Gdale_Bengal Wrote: Had it a couple times and yes you basically have to eat them whole or you get hot brown everywhere.

I’ll do some weird stuff for some chilli cheese fries too.

Try the parmesan garlic fries from Gold Star. I'm a Skyline guy, but those fries...oh em gee

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
Krystal>White Castle
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(01-23-2021, 10:05 AM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Burrow held onto the ball too long and took many unnecessary hits because of that.

Hart isn’t as bad as everyone says.

Hopkins isn’t a good center.

Truth.
Reply/Quote
(01-23-2021, 04:18 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Krystal>White Castle

I'll take your word for it.  Never had Krystal but I've puked within an hour every time I've eaten Whitey's.  I can't even hold down the chicken ring sandwiches.
Reply/Quote
(01-23-2021, 10:05 AM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Burrow held onto the ball too long and took many unnecessary hits because of that.

Hart isn’t as bad as everyone says.

Hopkins isn’t a good center.
Blasphemy you can't criticize Burrow, he has already reached Sainthood after 10 games..lol
Reply/Quote
(01-23-2021, 01:49 PM)Deacon Wrote: Dang. They asked for unpopular takes and you delivered. Looking forward to see the defense of these points (though, aside from #2, I'm with you on the rest) Great takes though, all of them.

But about ML and his LB drafting - I don't think he was as bad as first glance might appear.
Pollack had his career cut painfully short - granted we're talking about what could have been but he was showing above average play
Thurman was a beast on the field, he just couldn't stay on it
Maualuga took a boatload of crap on these boards, but he improved the LB corps in his first 3 years. ML's drafting talent can't predict if a guy is going to get fat and lazy
Landon Johnson wasn't a world-beater, but for a 3rd rounder he was serviceable journeyman player.
I'd argue Caleb Miller was snakebit and never got the chance to properly develop as a player
Rivers got his dang head taken off and was never the same after that. Again, a failure in coaching, for sure, but not in terms of talent evaluation.

He's had a couple of whiffs, but those named above are the majority of his LB picks. 
Yeah, Malik was a bust, so was Moch, and Vigil was arguably a questionable pick. Even then, I think Vigil is good when utilized properly in the right system, and that sits fine with me for a 3rd rounder. He was pressed into service in a depleted LB corps that never came together, and when injuries came, it only compounded the isssue. 

Zac has drafted a couple quality LBs in Pratt and Wilson. Jury is still out on ADG. 

Let's give Zac a larger sample size, because right now, I'd say most people could look at a two year sample of ML's drafts and make the argument that his drafting was just as good. 

I get what you are saying.  It just seems like the team has more stability at the position after Taylor's first couple of years.  I'd bet on Pratt and Wilson being mainstays on the defense for a long time, with ADG still yet to be determined.  

Marvin took risks drafting guys with high upside and jacked up character.  Sometimes it worked and other times it bit him.  I just recall Marvin coming here fresh off of being a DC in Washington and Baltimore and having some really nasty, swarming linebacker groups.  That never seemed to materialize here, with the exception of perhaps Burfict, who came with a price, obviously.  
Reply/Quote
(01-23-2021, 08:41 AM)BengalsRocker Wrote: I wish Gresham would've kicked Lapham's ass for basically calling him a quitter.

We've seen our share of those throughout the years and if he was one he certainly was at the bottom of the list.

For those of you who think an old ass Lapham could hang with Gresham are delusional.

I personally would have enjoyed hearing Dave get his face busted on live radio.

The guy's voice and mannerisms remind me of Dauber from that TV show Coach.

Never liked him and think he's terrible to listen to before, during, and absolutely after the game especially in the locker room.

Michael Jordan: "and I took that personally"

(01-23-2021, 11:46 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Higgins or Boyd get injured, and who do we have left? WR is absolutely a need.

I meant it's not such a huge need that we should be dropping a top pick on it. A 4 win team shouldn't be burning top picks on depth.

(01-23-2021, 12:13 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: We used to deliver cans of the stuff (lots of cans) to my sister when she lived in St. Charles outside of Chicago.  They eat it almost once a week.  She moved to Tampa, and believe it or not, there is a Skyline not too far from where they live.  I guess if enough Ohioans snowbird or retire to the south, there is a market.  

I love the stuff.  Currently on a pretty strict "plan" to cut up like I was when I was ready for Master's Nationals (swim) in the beginning of 2020.  I was a ripped 190 lbs.  Enter COVID killing the meet, bourbon nightly (usually only one or two, at least during the week) and only lifting with no cardio (that is where I do my swimming....No lane space during COVID....had to "reserve" a lane for half an hour and that isn't how my schedule worked).  Down to 205 from a beefy 235 lbs.  I am not shaving until I hit 190.  One month to go looking like Santa Claus's recently divorced twin that opened a Tinder account.  

Needless to say, I am going to hit 189 lbs and then go eat Skyline:)

Occasionally we get some cans up here at the discount store. It's always funny to see cans of Skyline selling for 99 cents because Michiganders aren't aware of the deliciousness.

I'm in a similar boat as you though. I tested high on my triglycerides and have been having some chest tightness/pains (I weighed 245 at 6' a month ago). I've had to cut out all junk food and red meat.

Fortunately, I'm already down to 231, but I want to keep going and see if I can get back around 2 bills. Then I'll celebrate with some chili...if I can find it.

(01-23-2021, 12:43 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: Have you guys had their Chilito?  The Chilli Burrito?  It is awesome.  It was invented, I believe, so I could eat it while driving...isn't too messy if you take small bites so you avoid the back end explosion (of the burrito...the real back end explosion comes a day later...especially if you ask them to put hot sauce in it during assembly).

A co-worker of mine got me to try the chili burrito back in 2003 and that's been my skyline order ever since. A chilito + 1-2 conies. Some skylines mess it up though. It has to be the chili/bean mix.

Sometimes I'll make one at home with a can of Skyline and stir in some refried beans. Yum.

(01-23-2021, 03:33 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: I wonder how many people in here know about Moonrise Donuts in Latonia?

Is that the bakery a block away from Ritte's corner? The 5 way?
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(01-23-2021, 05:45 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Is that the bakery a block away from Ritte's corner? The 5 way?

Yes sir.

Reply/Quote
(01-23-2021, 05:50 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Yes sir.

Yeah they're good for sure. Another one I used to hit was Emerson's in Independence. I think they have a few locations though.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(01-23-2021, 03:36 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Try the parmesan garlic fries from Gold Star. I'm a Skyline guy, but those fries...oh em gee

If they are similar to the garlic aioli fries from buffalo wings and rings my wife would love those
Reply/Quote
Keeping Zac Taylor on will have negative consequences that will last well after he is gone. The players just witnessed a HC who was historically bad retain his job. They also witnessed some less than professional behavior from some of the older players on his watch. Green made no attempt to tackle on an interception and was rewarded by being fed targets for most of the year. Dunlap tried to force the issue of a trade and was rewarded by going to a better team. The message from ownership is that it is perfectly OK to have extremely poor results IF you can think of some decent excuses. Players will emulate this logic by nursing injuries for longer than they have to, using sporadic good play to excuse bad play, and generally having a mindset of being comfortable with losing to good teams so long as they can beat up on the basement dwellers every once in a while. By doubling down on a mistake and refusing to pay a staff to not coach, ownership has likely caused a new generation of promising players to readjust their hyper-competitive mentality to one of semi-complacency. It'll be even worse than the one that festered under .5 Marv, and it'll linger for as long as the complacency with poor results is still fresh in players' minds. 
Reply/Quote
(01-23-2021, 03:33 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: I wonder how many people in here know about Moonrise Donuts in Latonia?

Never heard of it. I’ll have to check it out sometime.

Reply/Quote
(01-23-2021, 05:07 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Blasphemy you can't criticize Burrow, he has already reached Sainthood after 10 games..lol

You can criticize him. Just not for dumb shit like smoking a cigar after winning a national championship...

See Essex, there’s a difference between legitimate criticism, and having an agenda.

Reply/Quote
(01-23-2021, 01:29 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: It makes sense to pay Gio (our back up RB) more than any starting OG on our roster.

This is one of the worst yet...

Reply/Quote
(01-23-2021, 03:21 PM)PDub80 Wrote: I'm in the Dayton area and have incredible, fresh donut bakeries near me like Bill's in Centerville & Schuler's in Springfield. They literally are making them from scratch behind the wall you order from and have massive variety. Like, walls and cases of different stuff.

On my life, if you had either places stuff you would go back to Duncan and look at it as peasant fair.

Schuler's is the absolute best! I grew up in Springfield and always enjoyed anything from Schuler's Bakery.

Reply/Quote
(01-23-2021, 03:21 PM)PDub80 Wrote: I'm in the Dayton area and have incredible, fresh donut bakeries near me like Bill's in Centerville & Schuler's in Springfield. They literally are making them from scratch behind the wall you order from and have massive variety. Like, walls and cases of different stuff.

On my life, if you had either places stuff you would go back to Duncan and look at it as peasant fair.

^^^^

He's not lyin'...
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote

Oh trust me, I worked in Lexington where they had Spalding's Donuts. It was at 6th and Lime right across from Al' Bar. So at 4:30am you had business people lining up to get into Spaldings, at the same time the EC units were responding to the Cut and Shoot across the street to take the bodies out. So I know what you are talking about with the local joints. I'm just saying Dunkin, if you go to one where they actually make them instead of trucking them in, is much better than say a Krispie Creme or that nonsense. I love the Dunkin Long John. And they have the best coffee going.
Reply/Quote
The actual donuts at Dunkin are fairly mediocre, imo. The coffee is the best though.

Reply/Quote
(01-23-2021, 09:25 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: You can criticize him. Just not for dumb shit like smoking a cigar after winning a national championship...

See Essex, there’s a difference between legitimate criticism, and having an agenda.

Agenda? I think you need to look in a mirror on that one..
Reply/Quote