Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Use of derogatory names for politicians and groups of people
In the interest of promoting civil discourse and productive discussions surrounding the emotionally charged topics of politics and religion, the moderators, from this point on, will be more vigilant in deleting posts and taking action against posters who use derogatory names for politicians or political groups during discussions in this forum.

It isn't nearly as bad here as it is in other parts of the internet (where terms like "Demonrats" or "Repugnicans" are much more common), but there have been a few cases recently that we've had to delete following reports of breaking forum rules.

This stems from a decision made back in 2016 when the existence of this forum was up in the air. One of the stipulations for keeping it around was that derogatory names for groups of people or politician not be allowed. This included insults used by the politicians themselves, such as Crooked Hillary, Drumph etc.

This hasn't been much of an issue since that decision was made, but with this year being an election year, they have started cropping up again. Names like Genocide Joe for Joe Biden or P01183509 for Donald Trump will now be considered breaking the rules. Using these names serves no purpose other than to attempt to agitate those who you would be otherwise debating topics with. Any posts that use names like this for politicians, or derogatory names for groups of people, such as political parties, religions, ethnicities, races, genders, sexual orientation, nationalities, disabilities, ages etc will be deleted and repeat offenders will face suspensions/bans as necessary.

This is an election year in a very divided and divisive time in America. It's a long year and things are going to get ugly. Let's try to keep this forum as clean as we can.

Thank you.
Some of you may remember that back in 2016 we seriously considered closing the P&R forum, permanently. A thread was posted about the subject and was left open for feedback and interaction from board members. That thread is still in the P&R section, although several of you weren't part of the board community at that time. I would encourage anyone and everyone to revisit (or even visit for the first time) that thread, as there is a ton of good information and feedback contained.

http://thebengalsboard.com/Thread-PnR-Decorum-and-suspensions
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Yes!!! I like reading yalls different takes. I think this is the best way forward. We can all do better. I do a lot of quick posts of no real substance lol. I'm super busy. However, I will post something of substance unless it's a joke. Making people laugh in this part of the forum is needed! We need more Nately's in this beeeyotch. Thar boy cracks me up, but also gives good information at the same time. He's the master of doing both.
I used to be jmccracky. Or Cracky for short.
For clarification's sake, is the general term MAGA still allowed when discussing Trump supporters?

Thanks for dealing with all of this. I know it is not easy,...I promise to behave!

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

(03-06-2024, 04:08 PM)pally Wrote: For clarification's sake, is the general term MAGA still allowed when discussing Trump supporters

Since they, as a group, generally self identify with that term, I don't personally see anything wrong with it. Other moderators can chime in if they disagree.
(03-06-2024, 04:09 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: Since they, as a group, generally self identify with that term, I don't personally see anything wrong with it. Other moderators can chime in if they disagree.

thanks!

(03-06-2024, 04:09 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: Since they, as a group, generally self identify with that term, I don't personally see anything wrong with it. Other moderators can chime in if they disagree.

we generally just call ourselves conservative
(03-06-2024, 05:10 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: we generally just call ourselves conservative

The problem with that is that Trump and the MAGA movement are not conservative in nature. There is a difference between conservativism and the ideology of MAGA.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
(03-06-2024, 05:10 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: we generally just call ourselves conservative

I am "left leaning," so I am biased, but conservatives and Trump supporters are two distinct groups in my mind.

I'll leave this determination up to the more conservatives mods.

First, I will be better from now on.

As for MAGA, to me it is the context in which is used. I think mods can determine if its use is to attack or in good conscience.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
(03-06-2024, 07:17 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: The problem with that is that Trump and the MAGA movement are not conservative in nature. There is a difference between conservativism and the ideology of MAGA.

That is your opinion. I agree with Xeno, a MAGA republican can be very conservative. It simply means "Make America Great Again" which everyone should want, it is the Democrats and our current President that attacks MAGA voters for politics. As Phillips said after attending a Trump so called MAGA rally, he talked to 50 people, all nice and well informed on the issues, not one mention of him seeing anyone far right. 

My last point is calling Maga supporters a cult is a direct violation of the rules of the forum yet has not been addressed for some reason by Mods.

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
(03-06-2024, 07:17 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: The problem with that is that Trump and the MAGA movement are not conservative in nature. There is a difference between conservativism and the ideology of MAGA.

(03-06-2024, 07:49 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: First, I will be better from now on.

As for MAGA, to me it is the context in which is used. I think mods can determine if its use is to attack or in good conscience.

I completely agree with Matt that the portion of the Republican base that self identifies as being part of the "MAGA" crowd is in stark contrast with traditional conservativism and it's values.  I can also see the point that Luvnit2 is making about weather it's being used as a term of endearment or as a derogatory label. (Think of the old saying "you'd better smile, when you use the term "redneck") 

As for me, I'm fine with MAGA being used as it clearly looks like Trump is going to be the nominee, so long as the Democrat base is fine with being labeled "LIBS" and such.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
(03-06-2024, 07:59 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: As for me, I'm fine with MAGA being used as it clearly looks like Trump is going to be the nominee, so long as the Democrat base is fine with being labeled "LIBS" and such.

MAGA is an acronym/slogan that's been adopted, promoted and marketed by Donald Trump, his supporters and like-minded politicians. 

LIBS is not a term that's been adopted, promoted and marketed by liberals. The two are completely different, IMO.
(03-06-2024, 07:53 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: That is your opinion. I agree with Xeno, a MAGA republican can be very conservative. It simply means "Make America Great Again" which everyone should want, it is the Democrats and our current President that attacks MAGA voters for politics. As Phillips said after attending a Trump so called MAGA rally, he talked to 50 people, all nice and well informed on the issues, not one mention of him seeing anyone far right. 

My last point is calling Maga supporters a cult is a direct violation of the rules of the forum yet has not been addressed for some reason by Mods.

The thread was deleted for violating forum rules.

I agree, there is a clear delineation between conservative Republicans and the MAGA movement which is why I asked in the first place.

Unfortunately regardless of what the letters originally meant, the meaning is lost in its actual incorporation, at least that is how so many of us see it.  Just like ANTIFA stands for anti-fascism or BLM (black lives matter) which no one should be against in theory however those movements are considered in a seriously negative manner by many.

(03-06-2024, 07:53 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote:  

Referring to a party as a cult would be a violation because it's meant to offend. As for MAGA, that's pretty much an easy one as long as used in the correct context. I guess that's the whole purpose. This forum was created to discuss, not offend or attack one another. I'm guilty. I won't deny it. We can all do better. 

(03-06-2024, 08:07 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: MAGA is an acronym/slogan that's been adopted, promoted and marketed by Donald Trump, his supporters and like-minded politicians. 

LIBS is not a term that's been adopted, promoted and marketed by liberals. The two are completely different, IMO.

Point understood, just as all who will inevitably vote Republican may not necessarily define themselves as MAGA people.  I'm sure that there are also a few classic Liberals out there who don't identify with the Progressive arm of the Democratic party.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
(03-06-2024, 08:17 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Point understood, just as all who will inevitably vote Republican may not necessarily define themselves as MAGA people.  I'm sure that there are also a few classic Liberals out there who don't identify with the Progressive arm of the Democratic party.

That is my point. 

I will never consider myself far right, but I am a Trump supporter. I have mentioned, I voted for Bill Clinton 2X, for Strickland for Ohio governor and also Obama in 2008. 

No far right-thinking person would ever vote for Democrats.

(03-06-2024, 09:11 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: That is my point. 

I will never consider myself far right, but I am a Trump supporter. I have mentioned, I voted for Bill Clinton 2X, for Strickland for Ohio governor and also Obama in 2008. 

plenty of the current far-right once identified as Democrats just as I, who once identified as a Republican am now considered liberal

(03-06-2024, 09:11 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: That is my point. 

(03-06-2024, 09:14 PM)pally Wrote: plenty of the current far-right once identified as Democrats just as I, who once identified as a Republican am now considered liberal

I feel both of your sentiments.  The two party system which we have used for too long is due for a viable 3rd option.  Unfortunately, under the current campaign finance strategy and rules set in place by the RNC and DNC, it's tough for a 3rd option to even get a foothold.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23