Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Vikings vs Bengals predictions
(09-03-2021, 09:58 AM)Nately120 Wrote: Maybe everyone got so much experience with remote psychoanalysis of Carson Palmer that they got honorary doctorates in sports psychology. 

I have a PhD in Rossology and currently taking an advanced course in Chasenomics.
Reply/Quote
(09-02-2021, 08:57 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Curious what indicates to you he has a fragile mind. We’ve barely seen the guy… Also curious why you have it pegged around 6-8 weeks for a recovery.

I heard it from Joe:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/08/10/joe-burrow-says-training-camp-struggles-are-mental-not-physical/
Reply/Quote
My prediction:

Bengals struggle early and its evident holding players back in the preseason was a horrible decision. Chase however looks good. Burrow gets it together in the second half and we're driving down the field for the winning touchdown when the thrown ball pops out of Chase's hands into the waiting arms of the DB. Bengals lose 23-17 and the debate about Chase having issues continues.

I guess after 40+ years of being a Bengals fan it's hard to not be pessimistic. Hoping I'm wrong.
Reply/Quote
(09-03-2021, 08:09 AM)Sled21 Wrote: What are you, his shrink? Nothing points to JB being fragile in any shape or form.

No, just agreeing with Joe that, "...he gets a little concerned when people are getting too close in the pocket, something other quarterbacks have mentioned having to overcome when returning from knee injuries."

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/08/10/joe-burrow-says-training-camp-struggles-are-mental-not-physical/

To quote the GOAT after his knee surgery, "It's a continuous mental, physical, emotional challenge."

According to the National Center for Biotechnology Information, "Research has shown that some of the more common psychological responses to injury (ie, depression, anger, anxiety) are amplified in cases of traumatic injury."

I hope for the best but Joe is not Superman.
Reply/Quote
These teams are about on the same plane of skill level. This will be a 26 - 24 type of game I think. I'll take the Bengals with that score, but only because it's at home and I think our D will make a few plays.
To each his own... unless you belong to a political party...
Reply/Quote
(09-03-2021, 11:00 AM)Chezaugie Wrote: I heard it from Joe:

Ah, you must’ve missed the interview a few weeks later where he said everything clicked in practice one day and he got his feel for the pocket back.

I’m more of a wait and see guy… can’t necessarily believe everything out of Joe’s mouth… he did say Thad Moss would be a part of this team lol.

Still curious why it would take 6-8 weeks in your estimation to get back that confidence, something you’ve seen in other players?
Reply/Quote
(09-03-2021, 11:09 AM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Ah, you must’ve missed the interview a few weeks later where he said everything clicked in practice one day and he got his feel for the pocket back.

I’m more of a wait and see guy… can’t necessarily believe everything out of Joe’s mouth… he did say Thad Moss would be a part of this team lol.

Still curious why it would take 6-8 weeks in your estimation to get back that confidence, something you’ve seen in other players?

Just spitballing, however, most every article I have read indicates a lag in getting to 100% because of mental and emotional issues. This Cleveland Clinic article lays out the obstacles:

https://health.clevelandclinic.org/how-to-mentally-come-back-from-a-sports-injury/

According to the Journal of Arthroscopic and Related Surgery, "Half of the patients that didn’t return to their sport was due to fear of getting re-injured. This brings us back to the aforementioned, mind over matter mentality that seems to have a direct correlation with ACL recovery after surgery."

I am hoping I am wrong and Joe follows the success of Alex Smith.
Reply/Quote
(09-03-2021, 11:36 AM)Chezaugie Wrote: Just spitballing, however, most every article I have read indicates a lag in getting to 100% because of mental and emotional issues. This Cleveland Clinic article lays out the obstacles:

https://health.clevelandclinic.org/how-to-mentally-come-back-from-a-sports-injury/

According to the Journal of Arthroscopic and Related Surgery, "Half of the patients that didn’t return to their sport was due to fear of getting re-injured. This brings us back to the aforementioned, mind over matter mentality that seems to have a direct correlation with ACL recovery after surgery."

I am hoping I am wrong and Joe follows the success of Alex Smith.

Thanks for posting the article, it’s good insight onto the mental aspect behind recovery. I do wonder how that changes at the professional level, most of these guys have overcome mountains of adversity to get here.

Either way, valid concerns and like you hoping Joe defeats any fears he has quickly.
Reply/Quote
I see a 27 10 Bengals win. I predict big games out of Hodge and Bates.
Reply/Quote
How many passing attempts do we predict Burrow will have in this game?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Too close to call with an edge to the Vikings. I'm hoping for a win obviously and I think the Bengals can but it's not going to be a gummy by any stretch. Vikings are loaded on offense.
Reply/Quote
(09-03-2021, 12:20 PM)Nately120 Wrote: How many passing attempts do we predict Burrow will have in this game?

40. More than many would want who think it's still 2003 (or 1973) and that 25 pass attempts is practical -- but also not some obscene number by modern standards.

I suspect they'll run the ball as much as Mixon and the offensive line allow them to run the ball. If they're scraping up half a yard per carry it probably won't last.
Reply/Quote
(09-03-2021, 12:20 PM)Nately120 Wrote: How many passing attempts do we predict Burrow will have in this game?

41 seems modest…
Reply/Quote
Teams are similar on offense, lots of weapons (Vikes lost one in Irv Smith), but highly questionable OL play. Their starting LT now starts at RT for Bengals. His replacement is out week one Think I heard on last preseason game they played) so the Vikes OL may be worse than OL. Factor in the home crowd and the noise factor, I think our DL dominates their OL and gets some big plays to win this game.

Our offense struggles, but does just enough to win on a McPherson FG.
'
Bengals 20 Vikes 17
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
Bengals - 27

Vikings - 23

Start off rough but get it together. This is a cautious prediction as I think we go on a tear once we get things going.

I think Zim's Vikes are going to have a rough year on D. They looked really bad when I watched them this Preseason.
Reply/Quote
Nothing I've seen or heard thus far leads me to believe this team is ready to play. Bengals find a way to lose.
Reply/Quote
(09-03-2021, 02:07 PM)R3stangs Wrote: Nothing I've seen or heard thus far leads me to believe this team is ready to play. Bengals find a way to lose.

What? Better in the trenches this Preseason where we have sucked and why we lost games the last few years.

Not many ways a coach can win with terrible play in the trenches regardless of injuries. 

This is not an excuse for Zac or Lou either. I saw much better play in the trenches on both sides this Preseason.

Now there is no excuse for them. This team can win a lot of games and they damn sure better do it.
Reply/Quote
(09-03-2021, 02:11 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: What? Better in the trenches this Preseason where we have sucked and why we lost games the last few years.

Not many ways a coach can win with terrible play in the trenches regardless of injuries. 

This is not an excuse for Zac or Lou either. I saw much better play in the trenches on both sides this Preseason.

Now there is no excuse for them. This team can win a lot of games and they damn sure better do it.

Vikings have a fantastic offense and much much better coaching

since zac taylor isnt better than zimmer, you think the overall talent of the bengals can overcome the vikings?
Reply/Quote
(09-03-2021, 02:23 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: Vikings have a fantastic offense and much much better coaching

since zac taylor isnt better than zimmer, you think the overall talent of the bengals can overcome the vikings?

Vikes didn't look good at all on Offense when facing the Broncos. But yeah, that is a top D. 

I see significant improvement in our D going into this year, maybe not that caliber but much better as long as we stay healthy.

The Vike's D looks bad, real bad. If we can't score on these guys we will have to can Zac right after, we aren't winning any games.
Reply/Quote
(09-03-2021, 02:11 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: What? Better in the trenches this Preseason where we have sucked and why we lost games the last few years.

Hey maybe. I'm no expert, just giving my opinion.

Chase obviously not ready to play. Burrow may be physically there but all reports are mental struggles. And maybe preseason means something (in which case the lines are better and Chase is in trouble) or it doesn't (in which case the lines are still suspect until proven otherwise and Chase will be fine.) Either way its questionable. 

Even if our lines are better this team always seems to be behind on preparedness comparatively speaking. And I have zero faith in Taylor improving this or pretty much anything.

Burrow is my real hang up. Unless hes on top of his game we're going nowhere. 
Reply/Quote