Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 2.6 Average
Vontez Burfict is the dirtiest player in the league
(01-10-2016, 07:12 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: I won't argue against the flag, but I agree it was incidental. You almost have to flag that based on the rules.
The problem lies with what WAS NOT flagged by the refs earlier. It sets a terrible precedent 

Shazier will likely be fined, for the play that should have been flagged and him ejected.  Opinions are that Shazier likely won't face suspension, as he has no priors.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2016, 04:28 PM)BoomerFan Wrote: https://mobile.twitter.com/gerrydulac/status/686092752615030784

I'm told @AntonioBrown84 is fine and should be good to go in Denver.

Well that's just amazing. From what everyone has told me, Burfict hit the guy so hard he died and went to heaven.

Remember Keith Rivers? Or Kevin Huber? Or freaking Carson Palmer?

It's a team full of fakers and drama queens.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2016, 07:31 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Shazier will likely be fined, for the play that should have been flagged and him ejected.  Opinions are that Shazier likely won't face suspension, as he has no priors.

Bad technique but I don't think it was intentional.  It was perfect timed too I thought.  Don't matter how you hit em once they start to run and he had, barely but still.  I'd have taken the call if we got it tho
Being a Bengals fan is like being in love with a narcissist.  It's a brutal, emotionally abusive relationship but I never leave and just keep making excuses for them.
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2016, 07:35 PM)Savagehenry54 Wrote: Bad technique but I don't think it was intentional.  It was perfect timed too I thought.  Don't matter how you hit em once they start to run and he had, barely but still.  I'd have taken the call if we got it tho

It's illegal to hit a runner outside of the tackle box helmet to helmet. Gio was an established runner, and if he wasn't then it was defensless receiver 
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2016, 07:35 PM)Savagehenry54 Wrote: Bad technique but I don't think it was intentional.  It was perfect timed too I thought.  Don't matter how you hit em once they start to run and he had, barely but still.  I'd have taken the call if we got it tho

This is simply NOT true....

NEW RULE: A ban on a ball carrier initiating contact with the crown of his helmet in the open field or by a defender while making a tackle.

What the rule changes: A 15-yard penalty will be called if a runner or a tackler initiates forcible contact by delivering a blow with the top/crown of his helmet against an opponent when both players clearly are outside the tackle box (an area extending from tackle-to-tackle and from 3 yards beyond the line of scrimmage to the offensive team's end line). Incidental contact by the helmet of a runner or a tackler against an opponent would not be deemed a foul.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000238662/article/new-nfl-rules-crownofhelmet-change-to-help-runner-defender

There isn't a question as to whether or not Bernard was outside of the tackle box.  He clearly was.
Reply/Quote
Sure it was.  They head hunted the entire game.    It was their plan of attack.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(01-10-2016, 07:44 PM)Shepdawg Wrote: This is simply NOT true....

NEW RULE: A ban on a ball carrier initiating contact with the crown of his helmet in the open field or by a defender while making a tackle.

What the rule changes: A 15-yard penalty will be called if a runner or a tackler initiates forcible contact by delivering a blow with the top/crown of his helmet against an opponent when both players clearly are outside the tackle box (an area extending from tackle-to-tackle and from 3 yards beyond the line of scrimmage to the offensive team's end line). Incidental contact by the helmet of a runner or a tackler against an opponent would not be deemed a foul.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000238662/article/new-nfl-rules-crownofhelmet-change-to-help-runner-defender

There isn't a question as to whether or not Bernard was outside of the tackle box.  He clearly was.

I don't get any writing credit?
Reply/Quote
First off while Tez does do some bone headed things and his play could be painted dirty at times I do not agree with the OP. Many things cost us this win: a)The no call/fumble hit on Gio that led directly to Pitt points (b) The supposed TD catch by Bryant (that wasn't a TD according to the rule....never had control of that ball in bounds no matter how good the effort) © Very poor officiating (d) Obviously, Hill's fumble (e) The two personal fouls at the end were horse shit! Brown deserves an Oscar and Joey Porters ass shouldn't have even been on the field.
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2016, 03:59 PM)Okeana Wrote: I am happy to have burfict on this team after the game and i wish we had 5 or 6 more just like him.  Then we could change our name to the steelers and win superbowls.

Exactly.  I don't mind the reputation we are getting at all.  Maybe we will start getting in other teams heads.  You can't tell me Pittsburgh won't know where we are on the schedule next year.  I can't wait
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2016, 04:42 PM)Brownshoe Wrote: Lol Brown had his fingers on the ball and in real time Burfict was less than a second away from Brown. Just Stop.

Exactly, the ball tipped off of Browns hands, you're supposed to hit them after that happens.  That's what everyone else does, it just so happens Tez hits harder than everyone else.  He suffers from that Sean Taylor (RIP) syndrome.
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2016, 07:28 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: I stand corrected.

I wasn't even paying attention to Rey initially from the sideline view.  The end zone view replay is after the ball clears Bryant, and Rey's arms look like celebration.  When I restarted it I was going frame by frame watching Tez and the ball, jogging back and forth focused on those points.  When I stopped doing so (still paused, of course) I glanced to the other side of the frame and saw Rey's arm up, leading me to believe that was the celebration.

After watching it again it was clear that I was mistaken about Vinny.

Fair enough.  Thanks for standing up, and explaining.  If you look at it again frame by frame, you will also see the contact with Brown and the contact with Browns left foot to the ground happen almost simultaneously.  There is NO WAY for Burfict to avoid contact.  How long was Brown hanging in the air?  Perhaps 2 seconds max.  Burfict had way under 1 second to try to avoid contact while going full speed in the other direction.  Not saying it shouldn't have been flagged.  In todays NFL that play will be flagged about 98% of the time.  My biggest issues with the game is the Shazier hit on Gio is also flagged 98% of the time.  It wasn't flagged, and the refs watched the replay several times over.  Perhaps it wasn't a reviewable situation, but they didn't even try to make up for the call.  They could have ruled the catch incomplete and lessened the impact of the "blown non call".

But beyond that was the mere fact they acknowledged that Joey Porter was on the field illegally, they acknowledge they were aware of the rule about his presence on the field, and acknowledge they intentionally ignored the ruled because they "felt he was out there out of genuine concern for Brown"  The referees do NOT have the liberty to inject their personal "feelings" into the game.  We're not even talking about the typical judgement call on a phantom hold or pass interference.  We have the referees saying openly they refused to enforce the rules, even though they were aware of the situation.  

The leagues refusal to do anything about these situations are leading to the NFL being the equivalent of the WWE now.  You know where the "manager" of the wrestler knocks out the guy while the ref looks the other way.  None of the officials from last nights game should ever be allowed to officiate another NFL game.  You simply cannot have officials openly admitting they refused to enforce the rules based on their own personal feelings.  If the flag was thrown on Porter, per NFL rules that the officials acknowledge they were aware of, there is a 15 yard penalty assessed to Pittsburgh before Adam Jones ever has the chance to get involved.  The kick becomes a 63 yard attempt in the cold and rain.

They say Porter will likely be fined... what a joke.  
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2016, 08:27 PM)Shepdawg Wrote: Fair enough.  Thanks for standing up, and explaining.  If you look at it again frame by frame, you will also see the contact with Brown and the contact with Browns left foot to the ground happen almost simultaneously.  There is NO WAY for Burfict to avoid contact.  How long was Brown hanging in the air?  Perhaps 2 seconds max.  Burfict had way under 1 second to try to avoid contact while going full speed in the other direction.  Not saying it shouldn't have been flagged.  In todays NFL that play will be flagged about 98% of the time.  My biggest issues with the game is the Shazier hit on Gio is also flagged 98% of the time.  It wasn't flagged, and the refs watched the replay several times over.  Perhaps it wasn't a reviewable situation, but they didn't even try to make up for the call.  They could have ruled the catch incomplete and lessened the impact of the "blown non call".

But beyond that was the mere fact they acknowledged that Joey Porter was on the field illegally, they acknowledge they were aware of the rule about his presence on the field, and acknowledge they intentionally ignored the ruled because they "felt he was out there out of genuine concern for Brown"  The referees do NOT have the liberty to inject their personal "feelings" into the game.  We're not even talking about the typical judgement call on a phantom hold or pass interference.  We have the referees saying openly they refused to enforce the rules, even though they were aware of the situation.  

The leagues refusal to do anything about these situations are leading to the NFL being the equivalent of the WWE now.  You know where the "manager" of the wrestler knocks out the guy while the ref looks the other way.  None of the officials from last nights game should ever be allowed to officiate another NFL game.  You simply cannot have officials openly admitting they refused to enforce the rules based on their own personal feelings.  If the flag was thrown on Porter, per NFL rules that the officials acknowledge they were aware of, there is a 15 yard penalty assessed to Pittsburgh before Adam Jones ever has the chance to get involved.  The kick becomes a 63 yard attempt in the cold and rain.

They say Porter will likely be fined... what a joke.  

Just like his genuine concern for the slot machines next to Levi Jones...
Reply/Quote
After seeing the hit closer today, I don't really think it was the travesty that the national media is making it out to be. Should it have been flagged? Sure. But it wasn't the hack job it's being made out to be.

I think people are goddamned crazy wanting to see Burfict disciplined or even let go (I'm speaking of Bengal fans). He's young and mega-talented with some anger issues. In time, I believe there's a chance he matures and becomes an even better player minus the mental miscues. The outrage over his actions is annoying to me. The guy damn near won us the football game. It took more than his actions to bring on the meltdown.

Say what you like about Burfict and Jones, but the fact is they make our team better. Our defense improved quite a bit upon Vontaze's return. The secondary was exposed when Jones missed games. He's a top 10 corner in this league. I'm as displeased as anyone with their inability to control their emotions, but I wouldn't give up on them for anything.
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2016, 07:31 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Shazier will likely be fined, for the play that should have been flagged and him ejected.  Opinions are that Shazier likely won't face suspension, as he has no priors.

That's the problem. Burfict has a history of borderline plays and shazier doesn't. They look for burfict to make a questionable hit and call it 90% of the time. He needs to play in control to avoid some of these flags. Shazier may draw a slap on the wrist from the almighty rog but that's it. He will play in Denver along with brown and Ben bet on that. 
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2016, 09:34 PM)Run through the jungle Wrote: That's the problem. Burfict has a history of borderline plays and shazier doesn't. They look for burfict to make a questionable hit and call it 90% of the time. He needs to play in control to avoid some of these flags. Shazier may draw a slap on the wrist from the almighty rog but that's it. He will play in Denver along with brown and Ben bet on that

Don't be too sure about Ben.  From what I read, he has a separated shoulder. From a clean, legal, hard football play.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2016, 09:36 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Don't be too sure about Ben.  From what I read, he has a separated shoulder.  From a clean, legal, hard football play.
Maybe not but I bet Tomlin would have him out there in a sling or wheelchair befor putting that Landry guy in or Vick. 
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2016, 09:34 PM)Run through the jungle Wrote: That's the problem. Burfict has a history of borderline plays and shazier doesn't. They look for burfict to make a questionable hit and call it 90% of the time. He needs to play in control to avoid some of these flags. Shazier may draw a slap on the wrist from the almighty rog but that's it. He will play in Denver along with brown and Ben bet on that. 

Reggie Nelson seems to get flags quite a bit on legal plays.

Other than Pittsburgh's personal feelings about Nelson...  what do the refs have against the guy?

Nothing.

He just hits hard and some refs can't differentiate between good hard hits and illegal ones.

This is what needs to be addressed with the refs in the NFL.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2016, 09:42 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: Reggie Nelson seems to get flags quite a bit on legal plays.

Other than Pittsburgh's personal feelings about Nelson...  what do the refs have against the guy?

Nothing.

He just hits hard and some refs can't differentiate between good hard hits and illegal ones.

This is what needs to be addressed with the refs in the NFL.

Therein lies the issue.  The Steelers have a problem with any player that has good games against them, on a regular basis.  Take Burfict for example, we should just change his name to "The Steeler Eraser"..

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Since we're having a thread about dirtiness, y'all should check this out. Steelers gave Porter the game ball...

http://blacksportsonline.com/home/2016/01/report-steelers-gave-joey-porter-game-ball-for-baiting-bengals-video/

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2016, 09:34 PM)Run through the jungle Wrote: That's the problem. Burfict has a history of borderline plays and shazier doesn't. They look for burfict to make a questionable hit and call it 90% of the time. He needs to play in control to avoid some of these flags. Shazier may draw a slap on the wrist from the almighty rog but that's it. He will play in Denver along with brown and Ben bet on that. 

This is absolutely correct. Burfict has a history of playing dirty. When you have a reputation, you aren't going to get the benefit of the doubt. 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote