Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
We're not winning anything without Dalton.
McCarron got a bad rap coming into the draft. The shoulder injury and over confidence hurt his stock. Im sure he could have went a few rounds earlier, if things were different.
Reply/Quote
(12-22-2015, 02:09 PM)fredtoast Wrote: The way I saw it there were never any McCarron haters.  There were just people responding to the Dalton haters who were claiming that McCarron should be starting.

Rep. I like McCarron quite a bit. I think he'll be a fine backup for us or maybe even a serviceable starter somewhere else. I just think it's ridiculous that some people are excited he's in there and even want him to keep the job when he's proven literally nothing. Especially with the epic season Dalton just had.

For years, people bitched about Dalton's INT's, his occasional "terrible" games, his performance in prime-time and his overall average play. He fixed ALL of those issues in a major way, and it's still not good enough for some. It makes you realize that there's probably nothing Dalton can do to please some, other than sit the bench. 
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
The offense is going nowhere in Denver. I'll be surprised if we score a single TD. It's going to be a Monday night snooze fest, as the Broncos smother us.
This post brought to you by the Cincinnati Bengals. Proud leaders in squandering opportunity, since 1969.
Reply/Quote
(12-22-2015, 11:58 PM)Utts Wrote: The offense is going nowhere in Denver. I'll be surprised if we score a single TD. It's going to be a Monday night snooze fest, as the Broncos smother us.

That's ridiculous, man.  
Seriously.
[Image: d1id.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-22-2015, 11:58 PM)Utts Wrote: The offense is going nowhere in Denver. I'll be surprised if we score a single TD. It's going to be a Monday night snooze fest, as the Broncos smother us.

I hope this isn't the case, but I agree that you're not far off. The game could be kept close because we do have a championship defense. But offensively, I fear it will be tough sledding.  Hue said he wouldn't pare back the offense with aj, but that's exactly what happened this past week . I really hope the coaches give him more of the offense and let them play with a nothing to lose mentality. Because if they trot a similar scheme onto the field this week as the one last week, it will net us little to nothing offensively against Denvers  defense. 

Reply/Quote
The Bengals and Broncos are pretty similar right now. Strong defenses that don't give up points, strong receiving options, very similar rushing stats, and backup QBs under center. Two things that might help the Bengals are that the Broncos have been banged up on defense recently, and that they've been banged up across the offensive line all year. We have an opportunity to win in the trenches on both sides of the ball, and that'll be huge with even talent in so many other areas.

One other thing: if there is a silver lining to the last few weeks, it's that this will be the third 3-4 defense AJM has faced in a row. Some of that should start to make more sense for him.

Andy beat Denver in a week 16 prime time game last year without Green (got hurt first quarter and ended with zero stats), Marvin Jones, Eifert, Andre Smith, Burfict, or Michael Johnson. With all of those weapons available this time around, they should help AJM get a win this time around.
Reply/Quote
I agree with the similarity. Both teams have backup, average at best QB's. Neither team has consistently run the ball. Neither team has consistently pass protected. Both teams can have devastating pass rushes. Both teams (when 100%) can man up with 3 DB's and cover you on the outside. Both teams struggle to cover over the middle and TE's in the seam.

My worries are this.

Denver is at home
Denver has 2 different running backs that do different things, and that combo has hurt us big time
Denver has 2 tight ends, who haven't been very good, but will probably have 8-10 catches and 100+ yards in this one
Denver has 2 wide receivers who we can probably contain, but won't be able to cheat against.

In the end, their defense is slightly better than ours, their offense is slightly better than ours (without Dalton) and they are at home.

I can see a game that is like 17-13, 13-9, something like that. We have to really not have suicidal penalties or turnovers and play a nearly flawless disciplinary game. The talent, experience and coaching side of the ball we're just as good or better than them.
Reply/Quote
(12-23-2015, 11:28 AM)ItsOdellThurman Wrote: I agree with the similarity.  Both teams have backup, average at best QB's.  Neither team has consistently run the ball.  Neither team has consistently pass protected.  Both teams can have devastating pass rushes.  Both teams (when 100%) can man up with 3 DB's and cover you on the outside.  Both teams struggle to cover over the middle and TE's in the seam.

My worries are this.

Denver is at home
Denver has 2 different running backs that do different things, and that combo has hurt us big time
Denver has 2 tight ends, who haven't been very good, but will probably have 8-10 catches and 100+ yards in this one
Denver has 2 wide receivers who we can probably contain, but won't be able to cheat against.

In the end, their defense is slightly better than ours, their offense is slightly better than ours (without Dalton) and they are at home.

I can see a game that is like 17-13, 13-9, something like that.  We have to really not have suicidal penalties or turnovers and play a nearly flawless disciplinary game.  The talent, experience and coaching side of the ball we're just as good or better than them.

The penalty thing is going to be tough. Ed Hochuli is officiating the game.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote