Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
We're not winning anything without Dalton.
We just have to survive to the playoffs.

We aren't beating Denver next week though. We'll be the 3rd seed or the 5th seed, depending on how we play against Baltimore.
Reply/Quote
(12-21-2015, 07:15 AM)Sovereign Nation Wrote: Just out of curiosity, did you actually watch the Texans game?

Eifert dropped 3 very easy passes and ran a wrong route (not something he does often) on another occasion, and Green literally drops the ball on a 1st down catch.

Maybe it is just me, but it seems that you are hanging the Texans loss on Dalton a bit too much.  Dalton played fine during the Texans, some other players, not so much.

Yes I did watch the game and Eifert and Green didn't play as well as they should have either. I'm not putting the whole game on Dalton, I'm just making light of the fact that Dalton didn't lead his Bengals in the way he should have. He overthrew his recievers multiple times in that game, two of which could have been touchdowns, but one of those overthrown passes ended up being an interception instead.
Reply/Quote
Because the lovely Miami and SD (soon to be LA) game was on I didn't get to see any of yesterday's game or even any of the highlights yet. But I think it was a great win for the Bengals because: they won on the west coast against a team that often beats them in any year/decade/generation and did it with a backup QB making his first NFL start. So what if their scoring drives averaged 40 yards apiece, so what if the defense struggled a bit near the end against one of the worst QBs in the NFL...so what? THEY WON!
Reply/Quote
(12-21-2015, 09:44 AM)Matt_Crimson Wrote: Yes I did watch the game and Eifert and Green didn't play as well as they should have either. I'm not putting the whole game on Dalton, I'm just making light of the fact that Dalton didn't lead his Bengals in the way he should have. He overthrew his recievers multiple times in that game, two of which could have been touchdowns, but one of those overthrown passes ended up being an interception instead.

Let me ask you this. It's playoffs and you're facing the pats or steelers, who you want starting AJM or Dalton? I know who I want in there. Try not to answer with your Crimson pride. 
Thanks ExtraRadiohead for the great sig

[Image: SE-KY-Bengal-Sig.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-21-2015, 09:36 AM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: We just have to survive to the playoffs.

We aren't beating Denver next week though. We'll be the 3rd seed or the 5th seed, depending on how we play against Baltimore.

I have to disagree with you. I think we stand a very good chance of beating Denver. Their defense is tough, but they let the Steelers erase a 21 point deficit. Our offense is just as capable of Pittsburgh.  All we need is AJ not to create turnovers, the defense to play like it did yesterday, and we have a damn good shot of winning.
Reply/Quote
(12-21-2015, 09:57 AM)yellowxdiscipline Wrote: I have to disagree with you. I think we stand a very good chance of beating Denver. Their defense is tough, but they let the Steelers erase a 21 point deficit. Our offense is just as capable of Pittsburgh.  All we need is AJ not to create turnovers, the defense to play like it did yesterday, and we have a damn good shot of winning.

I want to see what the status of Geno Atkins is for that game, since he has the sickle cell trait and can't play much in high altitudes.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-21-2015, 10:00 AM)BonnieBengal Wrote: I want to see what the status of Geno Atkins is for that game, since he has the sickle cell trait and can't play much in high altitudes.

Didn't he play the last time we were in Denver?
Reply/Quote
Count me in with those that wasn't impressed with our Offensive output against a weak 9er's defense. The Defense stepped up to protect the backup qb, but the running game, offensive line, and overall offensive side of the ball did nothing to step up their game in the face of adversity (starting McCarron). It may get ugly against a much tougher defense in Denver (don't be fooled by their letdown to the eventual Superbowl Champion Steelers). McCarron isn't going to be able to hold the ball long, abandon the pocket early, or take big sacks if we want a shot. Not sure that's something he's going to get out of his system in a week (Or 3).

I agree we can't take this offense into the playoff's and expect to win a playoff game.

Hopefully those who were impressed and believe we still can are right.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
The biggest thing I noticed was how poor the run game was against a horrible run defens. To me this boiled down to 2 things: 1) the 49er's stacked the box daring McCarron to beat them (and the Bengals played into this by their conservative play calling). 2) Dalton is obviously damn good at getting his team into the proper run fits. I think this was the most apparent thing yesterday.

To beat Denver they can't play conservative like they did yesterday or our offense will look like it did against Houston. I say they go into the game with nothing to lose and let it go. If they lose at least they go down swinging.
Reply/Quote
(12-21-2015, 10:51 AM)jj22 Wrote: Count me in with those that wasn't impressed with our Offensive output against a weak 9er's defense. The Defense stepped up to protect the backup qb, but the running game, offensive line, and overall offensive side of the ball did nothing to step up their game in the face of adversity (starting McCarron). It may get ugly against a much tougher defense in Denver (don't be fooled by their letdown to the eventual Superbowl Champion Steelers). McCarron isn't going to be able to hold the ball long, abandon the pocket early, or take big sacks if we want a shot. Not sure that's something he's going to get out of his system in a week (Or 3).

I agree we can't take this offense into the playoff's and expect to win a playoff game.

Hopefully those who were impressed and believe we still can are right.

That's the thing, I want to be wrong about this, I really do. I just have a hard time believing I am. 

Reply/Quote
AJ Mc did what he needed to do to win. In a game like that (up by 24) the QB only needs to take care of the ball and run the clock and let the D run the clock. Denver is going to be a tough game but this team is stout. The Bengals can win it all ,they are that good. Teams in the past have won Super Bowls with all different levels of QB play. I believe the Bengals can win it with either QB. The D needs to keep shutting people down which they can do. The O needs to get the run game going better which they can do. And the QB and skill positions needs to take care of the ball which they can do.

Nothing has changed ,this team can win the whole thing. AJ Mc took care of the ball that's a good sign. Teams that have historically won SBs have been the teams that overcome adversity the best. Rarely do seasons and SB championships go the way the champions thought that they would. Adversity isn't predictable it is unpredictable that's why it is hard to overcome. But a large part of overcoming adversity is the mental aspect of it. True champions don't care what they have to overcome. They just plow through it.

The Bengals are going to be in the playoffs. Check. The Bengals are loaded with talent. Check. The OC and DC are producing quality game plans. Check.

Turn off the noise which has been said all along and just plow through what ever falls in front of you. Period.

We are the clay that the potter uses to shape us into what he wants us to become.
Reply/Quote
Man you guys are ridiculous.. It was McCarrons first start and the game plan was obviously stay committed to the run so he will be comfortable. 49ers knew this and loaded up on the run defense. AJ made the necessary plays to keep drives alive, while not committing any dumb turnovers.

You couldn't ask for more of a backup in his first start. Stop being so nit pickey and get over it.
Reply/Quote
(12-21-2015, 09:50 AM)Se ky bengal Wrote: Let me ask you this. It's playoffs and you're facing the pats or steelers, who you want starting AJM or Dalton? I know who I want in there. Try not to answer with your Crimson pride. 

Depends on how Dalton's injury heals. If Dalton is the same as he was before getting injured, then yes I'd want Dalton in. But I'd take a healthy McCarron over an injured Dalton if that were to be the case. An injured thumb for a quarterback isn't something we can play around with.
Reply/Quote
(12-21-2015, 11:01 AM)Matt_Crimson Wrote: Depends on how Dalton's injury heals. If Dalton is the same as he was before getting injured, then yes I'd want Dalton in. But I'd take a healthy McCarron over an injured Dalton if that were to be the case. An injured thumb for a quarterback isn't something we can play around with.

I feel the same ThumbsUp
Thanks ExtraRadiohead for the great sig

[Image: SE-KY-Bengal-Sig.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-21-2015, 11:00 AM)yellowxdiscipline Wrote: Man you guys are ridiculous.. It was McCarrons first start and the game plan was obviously stay committed to the run so he will be comfortable. 49ers knew this and loaded up on the run defense. AJ made the necessary plays to keep drives alive, while not committing any dumb turnovers.

You couldn't ask for more of a backup in his first start. Stop being so nit pickey and get over it.

Rep.

If McCarron plays as well in both remaining games, and shows improvement in both, I would be comfortable with him starting a playoff game. I know that sounds crazy, but we still don't know which Andy will show up for the playoffs. He has had a great season, and hasn't had any stinker games, but we still lost 2 out of 3 prime time games with Andy. On top of that, if the playoff game is his first game back, we really don't know what we'll be getting. He could be rusty, or his thumb could still give him problems gripping the ball and he could be inaccurate, we just don't know. Either way, we would be going into the playoff game with an unknown commodity at QB. In that case, I would be comfortable with the one playing well at the time (McCarron). And who knows, he could shine in big games. I have enough faith in the rst of the O, the D and the ST to trust whoever we put in at QB.
Reply/Quote
(12-21-2015, 11:00 AM)yellowxdiscipline Wrote: Man you guys are ridiculous.. It was McCarrons first start and the game plan was obviously stay committed to the run so he will be comfortable. 49ers knew this and loaded up on the run defense. AJ made the necessary plays to keep drives alive, while not committing any dumb turnovers.

My criticism is about the game plan. But it isn't because I think it was a stupid game  plan. In fact, it was a great game plan given the circumstances. But what if that is all they think  McCarron  can handle? What if it doesn't change? Do you still believe this team can go where they want to go and do what they want to do? None of this is McCarrons fault, it just so happens to be where he is right now. 

Maybe things change and they give him more,and if that happens,  great. But right now, until I see that, I'm siding with the OP when it comes to the chances of success in the postseason. I too think getting AD back is imperative for us to have a chance come January and February. 

Reply/Quote
(12-21-2015, 09:57 AM)yellowxdiscipline Wrote: I have to disagree with you. I think we stand a very good chance of beating Denver. Their defense is tough, but they let the Steelers erase a 21 point deficit. Our offense is just as capable of Pittsburgh.  All we need is AJ not to create turnovers, the defense to play like it did yesterday, and we have a damn good shot of winning.

Perhaps.

They still have the #1 ranked defense and our offense is not as capable as Pittsburgh's. Our offense is definitely strong, but Pittsburgh has the best offense in the league by a fairly large margin. Antonio Brown is the best WR in the NFL and Ben is probably the best QB in the NFL.

We have excellent players and AJM showed a ton of promise against San Fran and Pitt, especially in the deep ball department.

But I just don't see us putting 34 on their defense. 

It'll be another game that we need to rely on our defense to win. And, while they are very up and down, Denver still has a very good offense.

I'd give us a 25% chance to win next week.
Reply/Quote
(12-21-2015, 11:43 AM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: Perhaps.

They still have the #1 ranked defense and our offense is not as capable as Pittsburgh's. Our offense is definitely strong, but Pittsburgh has the best offense in the league by a fairly large margin. Antonio Brown is the best WR in the NFL and Ben is probably the best QB in the NFL.

We have excellent players and AJM showed a ton of promise against San Fran and Pitt, especially in the deep ball department.

But I just don't see us putting 34 on their defense. 

It'll be another game that we need to rely on our defense to win. And, while they are very up and down, Denver still has a very good offense.

I'd give us a 25% chance to win next week.

After yesterday's game, the Bengals D should have jumped back in front of denver as the #1 D preventing opponents points. McCarron is not going to have to put up 34 against denver. Our D won't give up that many. Heck, denver had scored under 20 in their previous games against SD and OAK. I say the Bengals have at minimum a 50/50 shot....and that's because the game is both prime time and in denver, otherwise I would say 75/25 Bengals.
Reply/Quote
(12-21-2015, 11:50 AM)Beaker Wrote: After yesterday's game, the Bengals D should have jumped back in front of denver as the #1 D preventing opponents points. McCarron is not going to have to put up 34 against denver. Our D won't give up that many. Heck, denver had scored under 20 in their previous games against SD and OAK. I say the Bengals have at minimum a 50/50 shot....and that's because the game is both prime time and in denver, otherwise I would say 75/25 Bengals.

In terms of points, yea. But yards is the typical definition of a #1 defense or offense.

I'm not sure who set the precedent, but that's what you usually hear about in regards to a generic ranking of defenses.

I'm a pessimist, and I know this. I hope you're right, but I have a hard time seeing this game as a coin flip. I think we're going in as significant underdogs.
Reply/Quote
(12-21-2015, 09:50 AM)Se ky bengal Wrote: Let me ask you this. It's playoffs and you're facing the pats or steelers, who you want starting AJM or Dalton? I know who I want in there. Try not to answer with your Crimson pride. 

IMO, I think it depends on if AJM plays very well on MNF or steps up and wins us a playoff game.

You have to be honest: If MCcarron wins his first playoff game after Dalton has lost his first few, there be very few people clamoring to have MCcarron upended for Dalton and it will be rightly so. 
Formerly w8ing 4 '08
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote