Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
We start 4 guys guys that would be backups...
(08-21-2017, 07:48 PM)Whatever Wrote: Realistically, the pass pro wasn't that bad against KC considering the talent they have.  The run blocking was more of a concern to me, but we saw less of Hewitt than against TB.  That could have been a goal for the game to establish the run without Hewitt against a tough front seven.  Since it didn't work too well, we'll have to see if the use him more in game three.

They still can't decide what they want to do up front half the time. 
The strength of the OL is moving. They are all mostly athletic up front. Both tackles and guards have shown some proficiency in pulling. 
They are not drive blockers. 

Part of the problem is the general inexperience at 3 of the 5 spots and with the exception of an ace between Boling and Bodine, they have no experience together. Timing is there yet. 
Saw it last week too. But KC has better depth and overall talent to exploit it. 
Reply/Quote
(08-21-2017, 03:04 AM)Socal Bengals fan Wrote: We got rid of our two best players Zeitler n Whit. How in the world were we going to get better or be better this year? Somone please explain this strategy
no  !!!!! 
 we did not "get rid" of our two best players.....

Whit is a million yrs old & signed a 3 yr deal w/ a team that overpaid.....sometimes old guys have to go......it's life....

& Zeitler signed a billion dollar contract......

I think in both cases we did the right thing....

I hear so much crying on here......wwaaaa...wwaaa....
we're going to be fine.....
week #1 we play the rat birds who have no QB.....
so we'll be 1-0
stop crying.....
 Smack
Reply/Quote
(08-21-2017, 08:39 PM)Steve Wrote: no  !!!!! 
 we did not "get rid" of our two best players.....

Whit is a million yrs old & signed a 3 yr deal w/ a team that overpaid.....sometimes old guys have to go......it's life....

& Zeitler signed a billion dollar contract......

I think in both cases we did the right thing....

I hear so much crying on here......wwaaaa...wwaaa....
we're going to be fine.....
week #1 we play the rat birds who have no QB.....
so we'll be 1-0
stop crying.....
 Smack

Of all the "old people" to let go and not hang on to, Whit is the last one who should have gone. Not Maualuga. Not Peko. Not Johnson. Not Sims. Not Pacman. 
Whit should be here still. 

Zeitler signed a big contract. Because that's what he's worth. 
The team lowballed him an embarrassing amount meaning they were never serious about keeping him.

If you kept them, this team is looking like a potential Super Bowl team with the added talent on offense. 
Without them, you wonder how limited this offense is. 

So stop drinking Kool-Aid that Whitworth or Zeitler weren't worth it. They had the money. They just chose not to. 
Reply/Quote
old guys break down....then ride the pine
we drafted Ced & Fisher to take the 2 OT's spots....it's their turn.....

it's not personal....it's business.....

but w/ you it seems personal.....whit needed to walk.....most old FA's are average AT BEST....many of them are bust.....

it's business.....the sky is not falling......be patient ....
Reply/Quote
(08-21-2017, 08:43 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: Of all the "old people" to let go and not hang on to, Whit is the last one who should have gone. Not Maualuga. Not Peko. Not Johnson. Not Sims. Not Pacman. 
Whit should be here still. 

Zeitler signed a big contract. Because that's what he's worth. 
The team lowballed him an embarrassing amount meaning they were never serious about keeping him.

If you kept them, this team is looking like a potential Super Bowl team with the added talent on offense. 
Without them, you wonder how limited this offense is. 

So stop drinking Kool-Aid that Whitworth or Zeitler weren't worth it. They had the money. They just chose not to. 
IF we'd of kept whit, signed him to a new 3 yr deal.....then about week 4 he goes down w/ a leg injury i'd hear many of you crying/screaming about how this shit-ass/ignorant organization is so stupid....!!!!   they keep old guys way too long....way too loyal....won't let anyone go.....the steelers would never do anything so dumb...b/c they are perfect.... Sarcasm
   it seems many of you just constantly whine......can't make you happy.... Cry
Reply/Quote
(08-21-2017, 08:50 PM)Steve Wrote: old guys break down....then ride the pine

but w/ you it seems personal.....whit needed to walk.....most old FA's are average AT BEST....many of them are bust.....

What are you on about? 

They were both playing high level football. These aren't middling players. 

Ced showed last year he wasn't ready. Keeping Whitworth was top priority and they weren't willing to match or come close to LA. 

It's bad business to not build the best team possible when you have the funds. They didn't. 
Reply/Quote
(08-21-2017, 09:00 PM)Steve Wrote: IF we'd of kept whit, signed him to a new 3 yr deal.....then about week 4 he goes down w/ a leg injury i'd hear many of you crying/screaming about how this shit-ass/ignorant organization is so stupid....!!!!   they keep old guys way too long....way too loyal....won't let anyone go.....the steelers would never do anything so dumb...b/c they are perfect.... Sarcasm

So whose alt account are you? 

Dont keep bad players. Keep good ones. Sound easy right?

Whitworth hasn't missed any games since 2013 and only 2 since 2009. 

He's played 168/176 games since 2006. 

Your argument is weak and flaccid. 
Reply/Quote
The Whit thing is just a shame. How pumped would everyone be right now if we still had Whit. We'd be predicting 13-3 and Super Bowl. He's worth it, we should've paid him and it would've felt great too.

Oh well. Hope Ced sticks it up all our arses, he certainly has the athletic talent to. Excited about Fisher. Boling has always been my main maindangy. Bodine is not as bad as we accuse him of. Hopkins looks like he can play. Wonder how Fish would look at LT??????
Fisher..Boling..Bodine..Hopkins..Smith might work if Ced struggles(I think he'll be fine though)
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-21-2017, 09:31 PM)bonesaw Wrote: The Whit thing is just a shame.  How pumped would everyone be right now if we still had Whit.  We'd be predicting 13-3 and Super Bowl.  He's worth it, we should've paid him and it would've felt great too.  

Oh well.  Hope Ced sticks it up all our arses, he certainly has the athletic talent to.  Excited about Fisher.  Boling has always been my main maindangy.  Bodine is not as bad as we accuse him of.  Hopkins looks like he can play.  Wonder how Fish would look at LT??????
Fisher..Boling..Bodine..Hopkins..Smith might work if Ced struggles(I think he'll be fine though)

How is Bodine not as bad? 
He's routinely at the bottom of the league for centers. 

He'd be a great backup. But as a starter he's not a good one. 
Reply/Quote
(08-21-2017, 09:42 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: How is Bodine not as bad? 
He's routinely at the bottom of the league for centers. 

He'd be a great backup. But as a starter he's not a good one. 

at least he is aggressive and his mistakes are normally from getting his weight too far forward.  He's not a catcher and I can live with that.  Trying to be optimistic here man
Reply/Quote

That argument loses its weight when you consider that the Bengals TRIED to retain Whitworth. They didn't want to start Ced. Also Whitworth played at a Pro Bowl level last year.
Reply/Quote
Common sense would have said to tag Whit. Are you "overpaying"? Possibly but only for that year. Much more importantly you give the team enough time to either get Og coached up or if he is determined to not be usable get a usable LT.
Reply/Quote

Fake news.     You make no sense.  They are and were easily our two best linemen.  And now they are gone. There is no debate about it. Whit is still a beast n so is Zeitler.    
Reply/Quote
(08-21-2017, 09:00 PM)Steve Wrote: IF we'd of kept whit, signed him to a new 3 yr deal.....then about week 4 he goes down w/ a leg injury i'd hear many of you crying/screaming about how this shit-ass/ignorant organization is so stupid....!!!!   they keep old guys way too long....way too loyal....won't let anyone go.....the steelers would never do anything so dumb...b/c they are perfect.... Sarcasm
Peko, Maualuga,  Thornton,  MJ those are Bengals that should have been let go sooner because they suck. Unlike whit who is a stud.
Reply/Quote
(08-21-2017, 11:32 PM)Socal Bengals fan Wrote: Fake news.     You make no sense.  They are and were easily our two best linemen.  And now they are gone. There is no debate about it. Whit is still a beast n so is Zeitler.    

Did you see the great and powerful Zeitler last night? Guy blew chunks! He hasn't shown anyone why the Browns paid so much to get him. Gruden even alluded to that. Giving up sacks and can't get out of his stance to block... 
Reply/Quote
(08-22-2017, 12:31 PM)sandwedge Wrote: Did you see the great and powerful Zeitler last night? Guy blew chunks! He hasn't shown anyone why the Browns paid so much to get him. Gruden even alluded to that. Giving up sacks and can't get out of his stance to block... 

Guys go to new systems where they don't fit and try to justify a huge contract and face pressure.

If he were still here he'd still be a dependable starter.
Reply/Quote
For me, the problem with the current O-line personal is talent, or the lack thereof.

As a unit, they just aren't very talented overall...and it shows. A lot of maneuvering is gonna have to be done scheme-wise, and probably quite a bit of conservative play calling as well, to offset and mask the deficiencies in their individual and collective play.

I have some definite worries about this current line, but I'm still holding out hope that they will continue to develop and make strides to the point where they're no longer considered a weakness.
Reply/Quote
(08-22-2017, 01:33 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: For me, the problem with the current O-line personal is talent, or the lack thereof.

As a unit, they just aren't very talented overall...and it shows. A lot of maneuvering is gonna have to be done scheme-wise, and probably quite a bit of conservative play calling as well, to offset and mask the deficiencies in their individual and collective play.

I have some definite worries about this current line, but I'm still holding out hope that they will continue to develop and make strides to the point where they're no longer considered a weakness.

That's a great way to put it.

Our offensive talent mainly lies at WR and RB.

I honestly see 4 of the guys as backups on a lot of teams.
Reply/Quote
(08-22-2017, 01:33 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: For me, the problem with the current O-line personal is talent, or the lack thereof.

There is definitely a lack of overall talent there. 

But a rep like this from Fisher should give you hope! 

This is great stuff. He keeps reworking his hands. Keeps the weight more on his inside leg. Doesn't let Houston take that inside. Forces him back out.

Reply/Quote
(08-22-2017, 01:57 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: There is definitely a lack of overall talent there. 

But a rep like this from Fisher should give you hope! 

This is great stuff. He keeps reworking his hands. Keeps the weight more on his inside leg. Doesn't let Houston take that inside. Forces him back out.

I'll be honest, I was never overly impressed with Ced or Jake in college. I thought Ced's hype always far exceeded his actual performance. I liked Jake coming out better, but thought he had some notable limitations that were going to be an issue at the next level. 

I certainly think Jake is farther along, in terms of measurable progress, at this point...but I really don't see him or Ced as having a very high ceiling as NFL starters. 

I hope both guys prove me completely wrong though.
Reply/Quote