Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
***Week 4 GameDay Thread - Jaguars @ Bengals***
(10-01-2021, 12:43 AM)CarolinaBengalFanGuy Wrote: If we keep our current DL intact and get our injured guys back I don’t think we need to worry about DL too much. Definitely going to need someone in the secondary though.

Hope Larry OG doesn't have the dreaded career ending bone bruise
Reply/Quote
Let’s not overlook McPherson’s game winner. Kid already has made two walk-off game winning kicks and this one is on national TV after missing a kick earlier. Good to see him come back from that and nail one at crunch time.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2021, 12:44 AM)KillerGoose Wrote: I’m not arguing that. I’m positive that an effective run game can and does dictate what personnel a defense brings out. However, there isn’t any correlation between play-action success and run game effectiveness.

Problem with those numbers are they are skewed due to play designs and down and distance situations. I get the numbers but tape disagrees. A solid run game dictates defensive formations and that is not something base stats line you are using follows.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(10-01-2021, 12:38 AM)bonesaw Wrote: Yeah the second half tonight amazed me.  Offense just kept coming.  Threw it down field just enough.  I have some preseason crow to probably eat on Zac.  First half he had some very good play designs but then would get a little conservative or sometime cutesie.  Second half he was money, lined up and ran the ball, jumbo sets, empty sets, he threw the kitchen sink at them.

Another quick thing.  Reiff has really stabilized this offense by just playing solid and not destroying drives.

To add, I would say both Jonah and Reiff have really helped stabilize the line. Obviously RT was terrible was last but LT wasn't too much better but now both are solid which helps out everyone. 
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2021, 12:47 AM)TKUHL Wrote: Hope Larry OG doesn't have the dreaded career ending bone bruise

he came back and played...be more worried about Mixon's "minor" ankle sprain

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
And in the end, the defensive numbers will still look good and the offense's will improve. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2021, 12:46 AM)pally Wrote: <blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Asked Joe Burrow about why he checked to a jailbreak screen. Said he knew the defensive coordinator had a Baltimore background and knew he needed to know how to beat a zero blitz.</p>&mdash; Ben Baby (@Ben_Baby) <a href="https://twitter.com/Ben_Baby/status/1443784107033563141?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">October 1, 2021</a></blockquote>

These things win you ball games...obviously.  But it can not be dismissed.  This guys does the necessary preparation to win games.  He knew the zero blitz was a possibility in a pivotal situation.  Saw the signs it was probably coming.  Checked to a play to beat it.  Stood in there and delivered the ball with a defender bee lining at him.... 
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2021, 12:51 AM)bonesaw Wrote: These things win you ball games...obviously.  But it can not be dismissed.  This guys does the necessary preparation to win games.  He knew the zero blitz was a possibility in a pivotal situation.  Saw the signs it was probably coming.  Checked to a play to beat it.  Stood in there and delivered the ball with a defender bee lining at him.... 

Burrow was also putting Baltimore on notice - he knows how to beat a zero blitz...
Reply/Quote
(09-30-2021, 10:40 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: That might have saved the game.  Now if the offense will stop sputtering...
^
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2021, 12:52 AM)Joelist Wrote: Burrow was also putting Baltimore on notice - he knows how to beat a zero blitz...

Unfortunately, Baltimore is a better team than Jax so they may scheme a fake in that type of scenario.
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2021, 12:46 AM)Joelist Wrote: The refs were jokes - I was only partly joking when I speculated they had money on Jax to cover in the game. Had they called it straight we have at least 7 more and Jax 7 less. 

So you’re saying that if it weren’t for the refs, the Bengals would have won by 17+ points? Weren’t you calling them the worst team in football in the first half?
LFG  

[Image: oyb7yuz66nd81.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(10-01-2021, 12:52 AM)Joelist Wrote: Burrow was also putting Baltimore on notice - he knows how to beat a zero blitz...

Good point
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2021, 12:47 AM)TKUHL Wrote: Hope Larry OG doesn't have the dreaded career ending bone bruise

Wasn't he back in the game in the 2nd half? 
Reply/Quote
Now, I'm no expert, but with the fact we were running almost exclusively from the Jumbo set in the 2nd half. Shouldn't we have tried more PA pass down to Chade from it?
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2021, 12:49 AM)Synric Wrote: Problem with those numbers are they are skewed due to play designs and down and distance situations. I get the numbers but tape disagrees. A solid run game dictates defensive formations and that is not something base stats line you are using follows.

The data accounts for down and distance situations and breaks down the number of PA passes attempted per down. There were several metrics used to define run game effectiveness, one being rushing success rate, which I find to be very valuable. All of the metrics used came down to the same story - no relationship.
Reply/Quote
Jax's last TD doesn't happen if they call things straight and we had a drive end in a punt with Jax committing PI far downfield.
Reply/Quote
I’m actually glad that they went down by 14 at the half. It shows some resilience to come back from that no matter who you are and who your opponent is. Bengals teams of the past don’t win this one too often. Hopefully the last two weeks keeps building some strong team culture.
LFG  

[Image: oyb7yuz66nd81.jpg]

Reply/Quote
Gotta hand it to Boyd also. That 3rd down conversion one arm catch was clutch. Really should have hit off his arm in the air for a INT.
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2021, 12:54 AM)WVUHomer Wrote: Now, I'm no expert, but with the fact we were running almost exclusively from the Jumbo set in the 2nd half. Shouldn't we have tried more PA pass down to Chade from it?

I have a feeling they were working toward that but the proper down and distance didn't come up before Mixon left.  

And then their best personel set was the empty
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2021, 12:55 AM)KillerGoose Wrote: The data accounts for down and distance situations and breaks down the number of PA passes attempted per down. There were several metrics used to define run game effectiveness, one being rushing success rate, which I find to be very valuable. All of the metrics used came down to the same story - no relationship.

So your saying the numbers say the previous run game success didnt cause the Jags to run heavy boxes? Successful run game dictates defensive formations that is one extremely major area stats fail.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote