Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Welcom to the team, Drew Sample!
(04-27-2019, 09:07 AM)Wyche Wrote: What I find funny in all of this.....if an expert says the kid sucks, "that guy knows his stuff!" If an expert says this kid is a good sleeper pick "that guy's a hack!"

The best part is, our TE coach actually PLAYED TE in the NFL, wanted this kid, but apparently doesn't know his ass from a hole in the ground. He obviously isn't the expert some of these pencil neck geeks on a website somewhere are. LMAO

They discuss it in the post draft interview with Casey and Callahan. I urge everyone upset to read it. The Bengals did do their homework and were targeting a blocking TE. They were impressed at the senior bowl with his route running and his tenacity blocking.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2019, 01:57 AM)TKUHL Wrote: Here's my question to everyone who thinks this was a good pick. If they wanted a blocking TE This damn bad why didn't they just keep Fisher.

Because he is not a good blocker. As well if you see Sample as only a blocker well then your football knowledge would have to fall into question. I suggest you go back and watch some film on the Washington offense and you are going to see that Sample was under utilized. He could have been a much larger part of their offense but it was not in their scheme and well their QB just is not that good.

Fisher wants to move to TE because he blows as an OT.
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2019, 09:34 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: For those who hate the Sample pick, keep in mind it is impossible to judge this pick for a year or 2. Fans complain we can't run the ball. When is last time we had a dominant run blocking TE? Fans complain we can't protect AD, when is last time we had a dominant pass blocking TE?

Callahan spoke on the website on why he wanted him as did Casey, go watch or read the interview. They feel the Bengals need to be able to run the ball in November and December in the cold AFCN. Are they wrong?

Our fans want the flashy guy, but ignore Belichick's unflashy drafts year after year where all he is does is take mostly football players, the unflashy guys. Look at his guys at when they are taken in relation to expert draft boards. Rarely do they not look like reach picks.

We say we want our offense to not be predictable, well a defense having no fear of you running the ball down your throat makes your offense predictable.

They drafted the number 1 rated TE blocking according to PFF, they drafted him to block and if he catches 30 balls a year, that is wonderful, but they drafted him to block.

I'm ok with Sample being on the roster. Even if he can only block at the NFL level, there is a role for that. And he may be a better pass catcher in the Pro's than college.

That said, I think it's valid to question if he was drafted a Round or 2 too high. I think it's also valid to question if the Bengals should have stayed at their original 2nd Round spot and taken Irv Smith. I also wonder if the Bengals thought Smith might slide 10 spots to this pick, then when he was gone...knowing there was no LB there worth it, they took Sample?

That said...it's done. You draft guys that you think can produce in the Pros and it doesn't really matter the spot to some degree I suppose as long as they are productive. You would hope that this kid could catch 400-500 yards of passes a year though IF he ends up starting. Our offense had a huge dropoff last year when Eifert went down. I know people love Uzomah and he was a decent fill-in, but he just was maybe 10% of the pass receiving threat of Eifert. Having that pass catching TE really makes an offense dynamic.
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2019, 08:44 AM)SErebel11 Wrote: Interesting take. I am not defending or promoting the pick but he is TE3 on his board.

https://www.thehuddlereport.com/blog/?p=783

Drew Sample TE Washington
by Drew Boylhart • April 10, 2019
STRENGTHS
Drew is a complete Tight End who can block and catch. His talents are similar to the Cowboys Jason Witten. Drew is an excellent in line blocker and does a solid job running routes but his ability to catch the ball with a big catch radius is accomplished because of the effort he gives to make the catch in any situation. Drew is a Tight Ends, Tight End. He shows excellent balance to make his blocks and good run “after the catch” skills because of his size and compact style of running, making it difficult for smaller LB’s, CB’s and Safeties to tackle him. Drew really showed his route running skills and Velcro like hands to catch the ball at the Senior Bowl practices but as it is his style, not many noticed.
CONCERNS
I do wish he was a little faster but as long as the team that selects him keeps him to the normal Tight End routes and doesn’t try to make him into a wide receiver, Drew will impact.
TALENT BOARD ROUND 2.00
Do you really want to know why no one but me…is talking about Drew Sample? It’s because his quarterback couldn’t identify an 8 ft tall, open tight end receiver, standing in the middle of the field, waving his arms with Kim Kardashian standing next to him. I cannot tell how many times I saw on film, Drew wide open and his QB throw the ball to a covered receiver down the field. To be honest…I don’t know how Drew didn’t come back to the huddle and smack that QB in the back of the head. It shows what kind of teammate and the type of character Drew has, that he never got upset and just went back to work trying to block for him. This kid has the potential to start for the team that selects him for the next ten years and have a career that will make fans fall in love with him. He will be a fan favorite and a core player for the team the selects him. Believe it. If he was faster and flashier, and if his QB only would have passed the ball to him, someone else, other than me might have taken notice…you can bet the scouts did.

Love this write-up. Welcome to the Bengals Drew.  Who Dey
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2019, 12:53 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Fans know Irv Smith because experts said he would be great, but fans never were exposed to Sample. Do we want our scouts and Tobin with Zac and coaching staff to use the ESPN draft board or do we want them to create their own board.

These numbers highlight how close these guys measurables are. My understanding Sample is also the better blocker.

It would appear that many on these boards want the Bengals to use the Big Board that they themselves have formulated at home while sitting on their couches drinking beer.
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2019, 09:43 AM)OSUfan Wrote: It would appear that many on these boards want the Bengals to use the Big Board that they themselves have formulated at home while sitting on their couches drinking beer.

And that is a good point in that IF Kiper was so great, he would have been hired as a GM somewhere. Teams grade players out differently and value different attributes...

I just question how effective we can be with such a small scouting department on picks like this.

But, I doubt a guy like Bates was on peoples radar and his scouting report said he couldn't tackle. He's been a fine Safety. Lets just hope that Sample is indeed a good receiver that was underutilized. That said, we may have been able to get him in the 3rd or 4th and taken a WR or some other position in 2.

Lets face it, IF the Patriots took this guy in the 2nd Round, people probably wouldn't question it because of their track record. When the Bengals do, it gets questioned.
Reply/Quote
We went a long way to solidify our blocking up front.

This is the year to trust the new coaches and their recent college experience. Don't be surprised by more names that may not be on fans radar. This year these coaches have the most inside knowledge on players then some other teams.

Sample is a pick you have to trust them on. Plus you have to add him/4th,6th round pick together and then decide if you'd prefer them stay at 42 and take a said player (Irv).

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2019, 09:25 AM)Essex Johnson Wrote: I can understand some that are not happy with the pick.. it seems less about what he could give to the team but more we could have waited for him if we really have him high on our board and others don;t.. and that is the problem... some think this simple math or that you share your test answers with the guy next to you.  The bottom line all teams at times reach.. they don;t do it because they want to suck, they do it because they think this person fits and they can;t just assume every other team does not think the same.  

If drafts were that easy we would also have zero busts on these players they say can miss and we know that is not true.

From what I have read, he is an excite blocker and can play H-back and fits the Taylor system.  Second, he has great hands from all accounts and played with a running type offense.. they averaged 240 passing to 180 rushing in this college age that is not the norm....  I looked up the stats.. top two WRs just averaged 40 catches a game and 5 TDS.. Sample as TE was 3rd with 25 catches and 3 TDs qne im sure not many attempts.. and was perfect no drops .  My point is you can;t just look at numbers to make a judgements... put him with a pass happy offense he probably double his stats and looks much better 

Believe me, I get it....if you read back, I admitted to not even knowing who he was!

I was even initially miffed....until I talked to my brother about him, and then did some reading.

Agree 100% with everything you said there. What's done is done.... I'm keeping an even keel on everything until I see the team play. I just find it amusing when people cite "experts"....then ignore we have a former player coaching the position, and ignore other draftniks that say he's a steal...lol.

To be clear..... I'm only referring to the "he sucks!" crowd, and not people who are just upset with the round he was taken in.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
If Lewis was still the coach I would have no faith in his plan with this kid. I’m excited to see what Taylor does and I’m starting to see his vision. Mixon missed two games last year and lead the AFC in rushing behind a crappy o-line. With the additions of Williams, Sample, John Miller and a healthy Price I could see Mixon lead the league in rushing and us killing teams over the top with play action passes. With Sample you could go two tight ends sets with Eifert and the defense wouldn’t know if it was run or pass. If the Defense brings in run personnel Sample has the ability to be a miss match in the passing game too.
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2019, 09:50 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: And that is a good point in that IF Kiper was so great, he would have been hired as a GM somewhere. Teams grade players out differently and value different attributes...

I just question how effective we can be with such a small scouting department on picks like this.

But, I doubt a guy like Bates was on peoples radar and his scouting report said he couldn't tackle. He's been a fine Safety. Lets just hope that Sample is indeed a good receiver that was underutilized. That said, we may have been able to get him in the 3rd or 4th and taken a WR or some other position in 2.

Lets face it, IF the Patriots took this guy in the 2nd Round, people probably wouldn't question it because of their track record. When the Bengals do, it gets questioned.

(04-27-2019, 09:52 AM)jj22 Wrote: We went a long way to solidify our blocking up front.

This is the year to trust the new coaches and their recent college experience. Don't be surprised by more names that may not be on fans radar. This year these coaches have the most inside knowledge on players then some other teams.

Sample is a pick you have to trust them on. Plus you have to add him/4th,6th round pick together and then decide if you'd prefer them stay at 42 and take a said player (Irv).

Good point jj....this is exactly what I was going to answer your post with Pistons.

Normally I'd agree about the scouting department, but for a few years here, we have an advantage with a lot of coaches being in the NCAA the last few years. 

I think you're right jj.... we're likely to see some more under the radar picks as a result.

Reply/Quote
(04-27-2019, 09:59 AM)lone bengal Wrote: If Lewis was still the coach I would have no faith in his plan with this kid. I’m excited to see what Taylor does and I’m starting to see his vision. Mixon missed two games last year and lead the AFC in rushing behind a crappy o-line. With the additions of Williams, Sample, John Miller and a healthy Price I could see Mixon lead the league in rushing and us killing teams over the top with play action passes. With Sample you could go two tight ends sets with Eifert and the defense wouldn’t know if it was run or pass. If the Defense brings in run personnel Sample has the ability to be a miss match in the passing game too.

This....same thing I said earlier. 

Reply/Quote
He does seem to have good hands on a small 'sample' size. He was something like 25 for 25 on catches.

Also, speed of a TE kind of gets overrated. It doesn't take a 4.5 TE to get open. They more have to be smart and find seams in the defense...especially with our WR's and RB's drawing attention.
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2019, 10:02 PM)sandwedge Wrote: Apparently the Bengals had a better grade then you or a bunch of writers

Given the last few years, the Bengals grades might not be a gold standard. They’ve drafted poorly for a few years now. There’s a reason the team nose dived after losing FA’s post-2015. The braintruat hasn’t been very brainy.
Through 2023

Mike Brown’s Owner/GM record: 32 years  223-303-4  .419 winning pct.
Playoff Record:  5-9, .357 winning pct.  
Zac Taylor coaching record, reg. season:  37-44-1. .455 winning pct.
Playoff Record: 5-2, .714 winning pct.
Reply/Quote
Let's hope the pick for Sample was a good one. I have no problem with people questioning it. The pick is a controversial one. The board I follow had him ranked at 195 overall. But I'm not going to complain. If the staff wants a blocker, we got one. And we all know Eifert's injury history. But, but, but... time to let it go, and wish the kid the best.
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2019, 08:22 AM)Fullrock Wrote: People are so quick to label a TE a "blocking TE" because the college system he played in didn't utilize their receiving skills fully. Go look at Sample's combine numbers and compare them to Irv Smith's. Sample put up significantly better numbers across the board with the exception of 40 time where Smith ran 4.63 and Sample ran 4.71. Smith is 6'2. Sample is 6'5. This kid will NOT be just a blocking TE, though he does that extremely well.

Sample is also 255 lbs already whereas most of these TEs are under 250. He has the size already to contribute immediately. I’m not surprised now that I think about how the TE is like the 4th option in LA’s offense and how it was the same when ZT was the OC for MIA. Expect Green, Boyd, Mixon, and even maybe Ross to be used more in the passing game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(04-27-2019, 10:15 AM)t3r3e3 Wrote: Given the last few years, the Bengals grades might not be a gold standard.  They’ve drafted poorly for a few years now.  There’s a reason the team nose dived after losing FA’s post-2015.  The braintruat hasn’t been very brainy.

That's an interesting point. Here more than most teams the fans attribute new coaches to a new drafting philosophy.

When the Steelers pick, I guarantee you fans aren't like 'What are you doing Tomlin!'
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2019, 10:15 AM)t3r3e3 Wrote: Given the last few years, the Bengals grades might not be a gold standard.  They’ve drafted poorly for a few years now.  There’s a reason the team nose dived after losing FA’s post-2015.  The braintruat hasn’t been very brainy.

Steelers 2018 - Terrell Edmunds
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2019, 10:19 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: That's an interesting point. Here more than most teams the fans attribute new coaches to a new drafting philosophy.

When the Steelers pick, I guarantee you fans aren't like 'What are you doing Tomlin!'

Let's be honest, the ML haters used the draft results the past few years to bash ML, that is how it started in this forum.

Those same haters now say FO and scouts and give Zac a pass. Likely, it is somewhere in the middle, the HC has a lot of input, but final say is Tobin and Brown family on the early picks is my hunch.

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
I will say it one more time, our past TE options were one dimensional passing options, bot Eifert and Uzomah our 1 and 2 TE's were not good blockers. Eifert is one of the worst blocking TE's (#1 TE for each team) in NFL.

Why is it important? It eliminates a true play action run/pass option if your TE's are bad blockers on the field. To me it is not about 2 TE sets, it is about 1 TE in line to block, but can catch the short routes or screens. They can put 2 TE's on the field, start both in line and then split Eifert out wide also.

Simply, it gives the OC more options in play calling and the defense more to worry about in my opinion.

Reply/Quote
So to those who so closely believe the "experts" over those actually working for NFL teams please explain the following list:

Chauncey Gardner-Johnson
Julian Love
Riley Ridley
Christian Miller
Mack Wilson
Amani Hooker
D'andre Walker
Deointe Thompson
Anthony Nelson
Hakeen Butler

I see several safeties on this list yet Will Harris has been selected as well as Mike Edwards.

Apparently the "experts" know more than every NFL coaching staff since every staff has passed on the list of players given.
Reply/Quote