Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Welcome William Jackson III
(04-29-2016, 01:37 AM)THE Bigzoman Wrote: Lafell is going to underwhelm. Mark it.

LaFell has been more productive than Marvin Jones, so I don't know why you think that.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
There are still receivers available including the next Chad Johnson from Southern Miss.
[Image: Untitleddfcopycopycopycopy_zps872b23c3.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2016, 01:39 AM)Brownshoe Wrote: LaFell has been more productive than Marvin Jones, so I don't know why you think that.

That's just not right. If marvin Jones was healthy his first 4 years like Lafell their stats are almost identical. Injuries happen. Like lafell last year. And he got cut.
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2016, 01:05 AM)Big Boss Wrote: Gotta love that Gruden's defense couldn't stop a runny nose and they draft a WR.

That's because Jackson and Garcon's contracts are up next year.
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2016, 01:53 AM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: That's just not right. If marvin Jones was healthy his first 4 years like Lafell their stats are almost identical. Injuries happen. Like lafell last year. And he got cut.

Players get cut all the time and are great players. That doesn't mean he's bad. You would have to know why the Patriots cut him to know that (and it could be because they needed cap room to sign someone else). Plus even if you remove all of 2014 for Marvin Jones, LaFell has averaged 70 more yards a year throughout his career and that's even including last year where he was hurt for a significant amount of time.
Reply/Quote
I just can't get excited about a receiver who was cut and who we had no competition for when we signed him. That tells me he is nothing special, and a #2 WR who is nothing special does not pull coverage off the #1 WR.
Reply/Quote
Them pass defends tho

http://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fbs/current/individual/38
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2016, 01:59 AM)Joelist Wrote: I just can't get excited about a receiver who was cut and who we had no competition for when we signed him. That tells me he is nothing special, and a #2 WR who is nothing special does not pull coverage off the #1 WR.

The last time LaFell didn't pull coverage off of the #1 receiver he had about 1000 yards and 7 TDs.
Reply/Quote
I'm confident that we'll find a way to field a competitive offense this year. We might have to come to terms that we'll be a more balanced team in that our O might not be as explosive as last year but that we have made upgrades on the defensive side of the ball and almost certainly will not have to score as much as last year to win games.
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2016, 01:57 AM)Brownshoe Wrote: Players get cut all the time and are great players. That doesn't mean he's bad. You would have to know why the Patriots cut him to know that (and it could be because they needed cap room to sign someone else). Plus even if you remove all of 2014 for Marvin Jones, LaFell has averaged 70 more yards a year throughout his career and that's even including last year where he was hurt for a significant amount of time.

The Patriots are eating 1 million in dead money to get rid of his 2.6 million salary.

Sometimes the patriots mess up letting high price guys go early. But they let a 29 year old WR leave who is not exactly high priced. And they would rather pay Chris Hogan and Danny Amendola at WR.

Trust me I want LaFell to do well. But I think this is closer to Antonio Bryant than it is TO.

And it is for one year. It doesn't do anything for us long term at WR. We have AJ and some late round and undrafted guys. Dalton proved this year he can be a stud with weapons. Get the man weapons.
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2016, 02:08 AM)treee Wrote: I'm confident that we'll find a way to field a competitive offense this year. We might have to come to terms that we'll be a more balanced team in that our O might not be as explosive as last year but that we have made upgrades on the defensive side of the ball and almost certainly will not have to score as much as last year to win games.

I'm thinking we will be way better on offense this year, granted Dalton heals and has zero hiccups with his throwing hand.  I really felt Hue handicapped us sometimes with all his fancy formations and trick plays.  We were better talent wise on offense than just about any other offense in the NFL so we should have been beating other teams based on skill instead of trickery.  Hopefully Zampese brings a real NFL style offense.  
Reply/Quote
I don't understand how someone can act like Jones is irreplacable and when his injuries are brought into question they just brush them off with the "injuries happen" line. Jones was injured often and even when he was on the field what he did does not justify what he got paid.
[Image: Untitleddfcopycopycopycopy_zps872b23c3.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2016, 02:20 AM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: The Patriots are eating 1 million in dead money to get rid of his 2.6 million salary.

Sometimes the patriots mess up letting high price guys go early. But they let a 29 year old WR leave who is not exactly high priced. And they would rather pay Chris Hogan and Danny Amendola at WR.

Trust me I want LaFell to do well. But I think this is closer to Antonio Bryant than it is TO.

And it is for one year. It doesn't do anything for us long term at WR. We have AJ and some late round and undrafted guys. Dalton proved this year he can be a stud with weapons. Get the man weapons.

LaFell was still more productive than Jones. It doesn't matter what the Patriots do with their contracts, unless you think that Tom Brady sucks because he only has a $14 mil cap hit the next two years.

The offense will be fine next year. Hell, it might be better than it was last year.
Reply/Quote
Let's get back on topic here and stop talking about receivers. This is to show love and welcome William Jackson III to the team. So here is my big WHO DEY welcome to you WJ3. Can't wait to see you in stripes.
Reply/Quote
I was quite skeptical of WJIII, but the more that I read about him, the more that I think I'm going to like him.  Is this the year that Lewis breaks out the dreaded 4-1-6 formation with 5 corners on the field?!?!
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2016, 12:10 AM)Bengalsrob Wrote: Best (healthy) pick on the board, so close to getting Treadwell, but this is a great pick, plus it had to be who the Steelers really wanted!
This is what was said about the Jerome Simpson pick in 2008 and Philadelphia takes DeSean Jackson four picks later. The Steelers ended up taking Limas Sweed.
Reply/Quote
Bengals had little choice other than to go BPA after those 4 receivers were picked. What's not to like. They have made pretty good choices in the last few drafts so I trust this will be another one.
Welcome aboard WJ3.....
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2016, 12:34 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Just used a first round pick on a guy who's likely going to be 4th or 5th on the CB depth chart in 2016. Feel like I have already seen this exact thing done twice in the last four years. Now three in five.

No different then a WR who's Andys 4th read on offense
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2016, 01:06 AM)THE Bigzoman Wrote: Anyone know of any good Marvin Lewis giggle pics? I want to photoshop sad steelers/ Marvin Lewis giggeling in the war room.

That's the only good thing about this pick, really. We're really a Green/Eifert injury away of a below average offense.

Too bad there's only one round, right?

Saw you saying this in the chat all night last night.  Question--with all the receivers gone, what exactly would you have done?
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(04-29-2016, 12:34 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Just used a first round pick on a guy who's likely going to be 4th or 5th on the CB depth chart in 2016. Feel like I have already seen this exact thing done twice in the last four years. Now three in five.

Exactly.  Another first round cornerback that Marvin can talk up in camp, and then he can sit the bench for the next 2-3 years.  Even if they did not want to move up ahead of Washington, which most likely could have been done, why not take A'Shawn Robinson?
Reply/Quote