Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 4.33 Average
Welcome to the jungle Daxton Hill!
Linderbaum going to the Ravens is a gut punch, but I've spent the last couple of weeks thinking the Bengals would've passed on him anyway. Unless it was a smokescreen that backfired, they seemed like they were happy with the offensive line room after free agency.

Position of need
Position versatility
Insurance policy

Seems a good pick to me. Just don't know much about Hill since I don't watch Michigan football.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
I can get behind this pick.
-The only bengals fan that has never set foot in Cincinnati 1-15-22
Reply/Quote
Paul Dehner The Athletic: The Bengals need bodies and a future of the position in the secondary. Only two defensive backs are signed beyond next season: Chidobe Awuzie and Mike Hilton. Hill will serve as the immediate backup this year for Jessie Bates, Vonn Bell and Mike Hilton. All three of those spots were without comfortable backup options before Thursday.

Hill immediately fills in all three and prepares the team to handle attrition.
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2022, 01:23 AM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: Some analysts' thoughts on Hill:
That Franchise Guy
The GOAT House
Chris Simms
Brett Kollman's live reaction
JEMLive
TDN

Basically everyone mentions his versatility, speed, fluidity, quickness, athleticism, blitzing ability and tackling ability. He could play single high, split safety, nickel back, box safety and maybe even outside corner.

The term "chess piece" came up a few times.

If Michigan just played him at outside CB and he showed he could do it, I don't think he makes it to 31 :)

love on the Simms video that the close captioning kept calling Daxton Dachshund.  I'm not sure that a short-legged grounded digging dog is the comparison we are looking for a hopefully speedy aerial DB but it is funny

On Twitter, Simms's reaction was a lot more succinct and far more creepy

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(04-29-2022, 08:46 AM)Big Boss Wrote: Linderbaum going to the Ravens is a gut punch, but I've spent the last couple of weeks thinking the Bengals would've passed on him anyway.  Unless it was a smokescreen that backfired, they seemed like they were happy with the offensive line room after free agency.

Position of need
Position versatility
Insurance policy

Seems a good pick to me.  Just don't know much about Hill since I don't watch Michigan football.

Linderbaum was not a big need for the Bengals. They let Hopkins go because they filled that need. 

And here is what one ESPN analyst though of the Ravens picking Linderbaum (I posted this in another thread, but since Linderbaum keeps coming up in this thread as well):

"Once again, when are the Ravens going to address their biggest needs? Despite having two first-round picks, Baltimore chose not to fill its top three holes on the roster: pass-rusher, cornerback and offensive tackle. The Ravens now have a need at wide receiver as well after trading Brown. It was surprising to see Baltimore select Linderbaum because general manager Eric DeCosta said in the pre-draft news conference that the team wanted bigger players at center. At 290 pounds, Linderbaum is now the smallest linemen on the Ravens and the only one under 300 pounds. -- Jamison Hensley
Reply/Quote
Paul Dehner The Athletic.. The Bengals need bodies and a future of the position in the secondary. Only two defensive backs are signed beyond next season: Chidobe Awuzie and Mike Hilton. Hill will serve as the immediate backup this year for Jessie Bates, Vonn Bell and Mike Hilton. All three of those spots were without comfortable backup options before Thursday.

Hill immediately fills in all three and prepares the team to handle attrition. Beyond that, he steps in as the third safety in sub-packages. Anarumo featured three safeties a significant amount last year at first with Ricardo Allen then with Michael Thomas and also Tre Flowers taking turns as the big nickel covering tight ends.

Hill brings the skill set to fill all those roles. He’s uninterested in classifying himself in any one spot.
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2022, 09:07 AM)Nepa Wrote: Linderbaum was not a big need for the Bengals. They let Hopkins go because they filled that need. 

And here is what one ESPN analyst though of the Ravens picking Linderbaum:

"Once again, when are the Ravens going to address their biggest needs? Despite having two first-round picks, Baltimore chose not to fill its top three holes on the roster: pass-rusher, cornerback and offensive tackle. The Ravens now have a need at wide receiver as well after trading Brown. It was surprising to see Baltimore select Linderbaum because general manager Eric DeCosta said in the pre-draft news conference that the team wanted bigger players at center. At 290 pounds, Linderbaum is now the smallest linemen on the Ravens and the only one under 300 pounds. -- Jamison Hensley

Who cares what Jamison Hensley thinks.

Smart teams draft BPA. Ravens did that. Ravens had a great first round
Reply/Quote
Great pick. Quick and blessed with 'football smarts'. Bengals were fortunate he was still available at 31.
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2022, 09:01 AM)Soonerpeace Wrote: The Bengals need bodies and a future of the position in the secondary. Only two defensive backs are signed beyond next season: Chidobe Awuzie and Mike Hilton. Hill will serve as the immediate backup this year for Jessie Bates, Vonn Bell and Mike Hilton. All three of those spots were without comfortable backup options before Thursday.

Hill immediately fills in all three and prepares the team to handle attrition.

Zac was pretty clear that more moves at DB were on the draft radar

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(04-29-2022, 12:28 AM)NUGDUKWE Wrote: Not what I wanted for a the 1st Rd. But OL was gone. Hopefully Hill proves to be a great pick.

So Carmen's spot is the only one up for grabs. What else would we do with an OL?

DB is totally a position of need and both Safeties are free agents next year...so BAP kind of lined up with immediate and future need.
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2022, 01:23 AM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: Some analysts' thoughts on Hill:
That Franchise Guy
The GOAT House
Chris Simms
Brett Kollman's live reaction
JEMLive
TDN

Basically everyone mentions his versatility, speed, fluidity, quickness, athleticism, blitzing ability and tackling ability. He could play single high, split safety, nickel back, box safety and maybe even outside corner.

The term "chess piece" came up a few times.

If Michigan just played him at outside CB and he showed he could do it, I don't think he makes it to 31 :)

Supposedly he was at his best in the box...which makes him a better replacement for Bell than Bates. But, really at that pick...would we take Dean at LB? Or we could have slightly reached on a CB.

He seemed like the best value. Some boards had him top 12-15.
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2022, 02:06 AM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: Probably correct. Dean was the best player on Georgia's D, though. Not Walker, Davis, Wyatt, or Cine. I get why we did it. I am happy with it. 

Dean & Hill are both top 15 guys in my book. Happy to get a top 15 type talent at 31. 

So I liked Dean too...but Dean only fits:

A) If you don't like Pratt.
B) If you don't think we can re-sign Pratt.
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2022, 09:07 AM)Nepa Wrote: Linderbaum was not a big need for the Bengals. They let Hopkins go because they filled that need. 

And here is what one ESPN analyst though of the Ravens picking Linderbaum (I posted this in another thread, but since Linderbaum keeps coming up in this thread as well):

He has the dreaded (and maybe cursed) short-arms too. Have we drafted a lineman with short arms that worked out?
Reply/Quote
Called this pick in my final mock draft, as well as some ones from a few months ago.

I had been mocking him to Bengals before the Combine and before Bates got tagged, as I thought he was the best replacement for him.
Then the Combine hit, and I thought there's no way he'll make it.
Then Bates got tagged.
I thought they might take a safety in the middle rounds at the earliest to back up and groom.

I heard more and more people speculate that they might try to get a safety a year early to groom behind Bates and Bell, so I decided to put Hill back on my mock again.

Super stoked to have Hill. I think he'll be a great DB.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Imo this was as good as a pick as we could have hoped for. There were other players that this could also be said for as well, but the safety situation being shaky after this season, getting Hill is just a smart pick. But most importantly, Hill is just a really good 'football player' which will only be a boost to the defense. Nice job Bengals!
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
(04-29-2022, 09:36 AM)ochocincos Wrote: Called this pick in my final mock draft, as well as some ones from a few months ago.

I had been mocking him to Bengals before the Combine and before Bates got tagged, as I thought he was the best replacement for him.
Then the Combine hit, and I thought there's no way he'll make it.
Then Bates got tagged.
I thought they might take a safety in the middle rounds at the earliest to back up and groom.

I heard more and more people speculate that they might try to get a safety a year early to groom behind Bates and Bell, so I decided to put Hill back on my mock again.

Super stoked to have Hill. I think he'll be a great DB.

3 things make this a fantastic pick. His versatility, his athleticism, and he does fill a huge need. No he’s not a corner but he immediately becomes the backup for Hilton,Bell,and Bates. He will also be used in the 3 safety sub package that will haunt Lamar and possibly others.
Reply/Quote
I love this pick, although I didn't think he'd be there (I had him mocked to Bills). A sentiment that you might not have expected to hear years ago is that the Bengals front office has been pretty impressive, and one of the better in the league regarding the recent past, and I believe it to be a valid claim; especially since Zac arrived.
Reply/Quote
This pick is a very solid start for the Bengals

Nice work !

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2022, 09:49 AM)Dr.Z Wrote: I love this pick, although I didn't think he'd be there (I had him mocked to Bills).   A sentiment that you might not have expected to hear years ago is that the Bengals front office has been pretty impressive, and one of the better in the league regarding the recent past, and I believe it to be a valid claim; especially since Zac arrived.

We'll see how today goes, but one thing Taylor's crew deserves credit for is how good Rds 1-3 have been since 2019...except Sample.
I know some are skeptical of Carman based on last year, but I think it's too early to give up on him.
And I guess we're waiting on Ossai, but I thought that was great getting him in Rd 3 last year.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
I've never purchased a DB jersey. Might be time to add one.
I have a QB (Blake), RB (Dillon), WR (Chad, AJ), DL (Atkins), and LB (Burfict)

I also don't have one of the new stripes jerseys.

I wish the color rush jerseys were still a thing, but the away jerseys are very similar, so I'll probably get one of those.
Likely will be Hill unless they draft someone else I like even better today or tomorrow (unlikely).
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote