Welcome to the jungle Daxton Hill!
Some analysts' thoughts on Hill:
That Franchise Guy
The GOAT House
Chris Simms
Brett Kollman's live reaction
JEMLive
TDN

Basically everyone mentions his versatility, speed, fluidity, quickness, athleticism, blitzing ability and tackling ability. He could play single high, split safety, nickel back, box safety and maybe even outside corner.

The term "chess piece" came up a few times.

If Michigan just played him at outside CB and he showed he could do it, I don't think he makes it to 31 :)
Reply/Quote
Copy and pasted and paraphrased from the draft thread:

I did some digging which included his NFL.com profile and a couple draft profiles. This guy is going to be used exactly how we wanted to use Ricardo Allen. They paint him as a safety with great coverage skills. But they specifically said that the way he plays was made for a guy playing in the linebacker part of the field. Said he had good instincts in shading, bumping guys and bailing into deep coverage from the linebacker position.

I don’t think this guy is a Bates replacement pick. This seems to be Zac and Lou getting the guy they wanted for years to play that 3rd safety role. This kid doing well could actually help get Bates paid. If this 3 safety thing is a box office smash hit it’s gonna be HARD letting Bates walk.

I had to ask myself why someone so versatile was even there at 31. My biggest guess as to why he was there at 31 is teams actually dinged him for his versatility. The issue with guys that can play S, and CB is they go thru their whole high school and college careers with their coach using them exactly how they want, then get to the NFL and a coach tells you which position he thinks you’re better at and boom now you are playing 1 position your whole NFL career. And if you suck at it it’s your fault and you are a bust. Remember Mark Barron? He was a S that probably should’ve played linebacker his whole career. So at least this pick passes me first red flag test. He’s multi positional and we are planning to use him in a multi positional manner. Why draft a CB/S mix of you are just gonna make him a S or CB. That’s stupid to me. Get his ass in games at both positions.

Last note. Imagine the blitz packages and zone disguises we’ll be able to do with this kid. This kid with 4.3 speed is gonna be a menace in blitzes and QBs will absolutely HAVE to account for him in zone. He’s a kid i could see actually becoming an NFL playmaker after not getting many picks in college. Imagine sets where Bates is the only safety back and Bell and Hill are hugging the LOS presnap. There’s basically no way to tell what play well run besides assuming that Whatever side Bell is on, he won’t be playing man coverage on a WR. If Vonn Bell’s man coverage is pretty decent even that scenario is kinda fun.

I can only assume this kid won’t be in on 1st and 2nd down. So hopefully his size and tacking ability won’t come into play a lot. This kid also allows us to stick a solid guy on TEs without having to do a sub to get Tre Flowers in or trust Vonn Bell. This gives us versatility to have a base nickel formation that has the ability to man cover a TE without taking Bell out of deep coverage
-Housh
Reply/Quote
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(04-29-2022, 12:42 AM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: ?
It was announced on other revenues, just cause you watched one that cut to a commercial isn't his fault

I was on Twitter a good 3 minutes before he posted it. I think of others and typically put others first.

And, "venues," is the word you were trying to say, "platforms/sources," is what you meant to say.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2022, 01:15 AM)Whatever Wrote: He's played slot CB and has the physical tools to play outside.

Think they will likely nab a pure outside CB at some point, though.

Seems like a good pick. I wish I knew college players like I used to years ago but I just don’t watch enough college football nowadays to know many of the players. Michigan was known for solid defense and a strong running game this year though and we got a piece of that defense.
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2022, 01:21 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Whose contracts?
You probably want to look at yearly cash and dead cap to understand how we front load/
How where we able to part ways with Trae Waynes and Trey Hopkins this year?
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(04-29-2022, 01:18 AM)Whatever Wrote: It would make sense to front load a couple of mid tier extensions (Bell, Pratt) unless someone shakes loose they can't live without in post draft cuts.  No reason to waste cap space.

No contracts make sense to front-load unless your team is truly awful and has absolutely not hope of winning that year. By front-loading you're making yourself worse now by essentially giving yourself a cap penalty now to hope that you are getting extra benefit later on for a situation that might not even come about.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
I think he ends up filling a role quite similar to Hilton, and it bodes well for stopping tight ends on the schedule.
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2022, 01:20 AM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: Yep, I"m hoping for McCollum

I like McCollum as a raw traits prospect, as well as Woolen and Williams.

Booth, Gordon, and McCreary are all on the board.  Maybe a chance one falls to 63.
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2022, 12:35 AM)Tony Wrote: He will sit out now..

Trade him this year when you can still get something for him.
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2022, 01:27 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: No contracts make sense to front-load unless your team is truly awful and has absolutely not hope of winning that year. By front-loading you're making yourself worse now by essentially giving yourself a cap penalty now to hope that you are getting extra benefit later on for a situation that might not even come about.

Pretty likely Burrow is getting a massive extension after this season.

Who are we going to sign that's left in FA that will make us significantly better this year?
Reply/Quote
I LOVE this pick and I promise not to use his choice of school against him!

With Allen retired, and Bates and Bell not a sure thing beyond this season, having a BPA like this kid fall into our laps at 31 is incredible. Love his versatility. He’ll slot right into Allen’s former role and probably be used a lot in dime packages all around the defensive secondary.
Reply/Quote
Was a great pick. For some reason I didn't think Dax would be there or we would trade back and grab either Kyler Gordon
or Pitre in the 2nd. I like how we just loved our pick and it is in. We don't mess around. This guy fills 2 holes in one with our
Safety situation and he can actually fill in at Corner as he has played there as a boundary and especially a slot Corner.

Made for playing TE's and tackles like a Linebacker. Rock On
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2022, 01:26 AM)bfine32 Wrote: You probably want to look at yearly cash and dead cap to understand how we front load/
How where we able to part ways with Trae Waynes and Trey Hopkins this year?

I think you probably want to look at your own posts, Bfine. Yearly cash has nothing to do with getting rid of Bates. The only reason you would need to get rid of Bates to front-load a contract is if their cap hits were hitting earlier than later, which the Bengals (and almost nobody) does. There's a couple rare examples out there, but they're few and far between.

They were able to part ways with Trae Waynes and Trey Hopkins this year because they both had the highest cap hits of their careers in 2022, but most of neither were guaranteed. Guaranteed money also has no need to get rid of Bates.

Reply/Quote
In regards to the Ricardo Allen comparisons this kid is 3 inches taller, 10 pounds heavier, runs a 4.3 40 compared to Allen’s 4.6 40, probably stronger and has a higher vert than Ricardo Allen.

Whatever the hell we wanted Allen to be in that role this kid has the tools to actually be
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2022, 01:23 AM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: Some analysts' thoughts on Hill:
That Franchise Guy
The GOAT House
Chris Simms
Brett Kollman's live reaction
JEMLive
TDN

Basically everyone mentions his versatility, speed, fluidity, quickness, athleticism, blitzing ability and tackling ability. He could play single high, split safety, nickel back, box safety and maybe even outside corner.

The term "chess piece" came up a few times.

If Michigan just played him at outside CB and he showed he could do it, I don't think he makes it to 31 :)

Also had a lot of different Defensive coaches at Michigan and adjusted to everything extremely well.

Something Travis Kelce took of note big time when talking about a man he will be going against for awhile.

Daxton Hill is a great pick for us and just fits like a glove.
Reply/Quote
Good, solid pick for me. Linderbaum, Green, and Johnson were all off the board, so OL was a reach. Wyatt was gone. The top corners were gone. Karlaftis & Johnson were gone.

For my money, Hill & Dean were the best two players on the board. I'd have probably picked Dean, but am happy with Hill.

I'd have been OK a slight reach for Booth or Gordon at CB. Hall, Winfrey, or Jones at DT. Or Ojabo, Ebiketie, or Mafe on the edge. Or even Cine or Pitre.

I think most people who dislike the pick are reading tea leaves on Bates' future. Hill is a hybrid S/CB who plays closer to the line of scrimmage. Bates is a real centerfielder/FS.

A lot of teams go 4 or 5 wide. Hill is immediately a top 4 cover guy in those sets. Hill and Hilton in the slot and Awuzie & Apple wide. I think we see a lot of 3 safety looks with Bell next to Wilson in the box.
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2022, 01:41 AM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: Good, solid pick for me. Linderbaum, Green, and Johnson were all off the board, so OL was a reach. Wyatt was gone. The top corners were gone. Karlaftis & Johnson were gone.

For my money, Hill & Dean were the best two players on the board. I'd have probably picked Dean, but am happy with Hill.

I'd have been OK a slight reach for Booth or Gordon at CB. Hall, Winfrey, or Jones at DT. Or Ojabo, Ebiketie, or Mafe on the edge. Or even Cine or Pitre.  

I think most people who dislike the pick are reading tea leaves on Bates' future. Hill is a hybrid S/CB who plays closer to the line of scrimmage. Bates is a real centerfielder/FS.  

A lot of teams go 4 or 5 wide. Hill is immediately a top 4 cover guy in those sets. Hill and Hilton in the slot and Awuzie & Apple wide. I think we see a lot of 3 safety looks with Bell next to Wilson in the box.

I like Nakobe Dean a lot watching him but he didn't fit our needs near as much as Daxton Hill IMO.
Reply/Quote
Great start. We need DB reinforcements. And just lucked into a top S prospect

That’s one way to get to the QB. Send a safety with 4.3 speed. This guy is going be a Polamalu like disruptor I hope.

Dax was the #1 safety recruit in the 2019 class. And he didn’t disappoint. Big time blue chip player addition for us.
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2022, 01:33 AM)Whatever Wrote: Pretty likely Burrow is getting a massive extension after this season.

Who are we going to sign that's left in FA that will make us significantly better this year?

Burrow's massive extension won't put him immediately to a ridiculous cap hit. Mahomes signed his extension before the 2020 season and had a $5.3m cap hit that year, followed by a $7.4m cap hit in 2021, followed by a $35.8m this year in 2022 which still isn't absurd.

It's not until 2023, the 4th season AFTER signing his extension that his cap goes to a huge $46.8m.

(Josh Allen is similar, he signed before 2021, had a $10.2m in 2021, and just $16.4m in 2022. The cap hits don't immediately become absurd after signing the extension.)

If Burrow signs his deal before the 2023 season and follows a similar pattern, it would only be 2026 that Burrow's cap hit would get absurd. Making yourself worse in 2022 when you just lost a SB in order to plan for things in 2026 is silly. Most of the players on the team right now likely won't be here in 2026. A decent amount of them probably won't be in the NFL anymore then.

- - - - - - -

JC Tretter
Jarvis Landry
Kyle Van Noy
Alexander Johnson
Justin Houston (rotational)
Sheldon Richardson (rotational)
Rob Gronkowski (if he somehow doesn't go back to the Bucs)

Reply/Quote