Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 4.33 Average
Welcome to the jungle Daxton Hill!
I’m more than fine with keeping our three safeties for depth and versatility on defense going into a super bowl run season. Add another legit corner prospect and promising dlineman and we’re good to go on defense. Adding a punter would be nice too, and punt returner/wr. I’d also like a g/c at some point. But keep going BPA like we did in round 1. I can’t believe such a great prospect fell to us this late in the draft, what a steal!
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2022, 12:59 AM)jj22 Wrote: People can slam the idea of not spoiling picks on this site, and times have changed, but it's always been good board decorum to hold off until it is announced on tv. Maybe an old rule given more and more online access, but respected board decorum nevertheless.

Then the “get off my lawn” crew should post a disclaimer about that on draft day. Can’t assume we’ve all been here since birth and thus know the secret credo
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2022, 12:57 AM)Joelist Wrote: Hill is going to move right into the slot Ricardo Allen held before retiring. And Allen saw a lot of play time because Lou like three safety looks.

I wouldn’t say “a lot.” Allen played 171 defensive snaps (19%) last season.

Reply/Quote
(04-29-2022, 01:02 AM)bfine32 Wrote: Some folks think they're cutting edge because they have a smart phone and a twitter account. 

Right... i haven't opened twitter in a long time. 
The site i watched it on, didn't do commercials, so i didn't get "stuck" waiting for an announcement.
Reply/Quote
Shit me I’m on vacation at Disney world and forgot the draft was coming up. The defensive back area was probably one of the biggest needs along with more additions to the offensive line. Anyone know this guy can play CB despite his S designation?
Reply/Quote
Hill is the best pick from a versatility aspect. He helps us in 2022 sooo much. When they rush 3 and drop 8 it’s going to be tough on Watson and Lamar. That’s where the NFL is headed. They will use Hubbard as a spy like on Mahomes and really mess with Lamar and Watson. Division wins come first. I’m not sure McBride doesn’t become our 63.
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2022, 12:35 AM)Tony Wrote: He will sit out now..

Bates has 13 million reasons to show up, if not we can pay Tier Mathieu 12 to 13 million in his place
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2022, 12:53 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Why pull the tag? Try to see if you could trade him to the NFC. Have awhile to see if you can get a 2nd or 3rd round pick for him. Not like the Bengals desperately need the cap space for anything right now.

Commanders, Saints, and Lions all have a big need at FS.

Interestingly I was reading an article on tag and trades the other day. I guess the question is does Bates provide more value playing in '22 and offering a high comp in next draft or by being traded now for a couple higher (2nd or 3rd) round picks or a pick and a player like DT/CB

https://lionswire.usatoday.com/lists/history-of-the-tag-and-trade-outcomes-for-franchise-players-and-teams/

Fueled by satanism, violence, and sodomy, dinosaurs had little chance to survive as a species.

Reply/Quote
Hill ranked second among all combine participants in the 3-cone (6.57) and 20-yard shuttle (4.06).
Reply/Quote
Whoever we picked wouldn’t have been a starter. Hill will actually see the field more than a 4th string corner (as a 3rd safety and 4th string corner). He’s highly versatile, smart, and a great athlete. A+ pick. Offers way more to us than a 4th string corner would, and was by far the BPA. We’ll get more corner depth later—maybe one that could be a returner? I’m sure we’ll look at dline as well. You have to pick BPA like we did if you want a good draft. Great start!
Reply/Quote
I say lets give Hill a chance to prove himself. It takes time to develop into a starter.
Who Dey!  Tiger
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2022, 12:55 AM)bfine32 Wrote: Well he has to sign the tag before we can trade him. Plus we could use the loot to extend/front load a couple expiring contracts. 

And as soon as a contract with a potential new team can be agreed upon, he would sign it and get traded. It's literally what just happened earlier this offseason with Adams and the Packers. Not reinventing the wheel. It's a pretty standard move.

Front loading contracts when trying to win a SB is counterintuitive and a waste of a SB window. Nobody worth a damn front loads contracts as it's just a bad way to build a more talented team. 

Your plan would mean getting rid of a guy, getting absolutely nothing in return for him, and then adding zero talent with the extra space. If you're not going to get more picks or more space to add more players, why would you ever make another team better and your team worse?

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
Hill might replace Bell instead of Bates. Either way, in 2022, he replaces Ricardo Allen. They run enough three safety sets that it is feasible for Hill to make his mark as a rookie.
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2022, 01:11 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: And as soon as a contract with a potential new team can be agreed upon, he would sign it and get traded. It's literally what just happened earlier this offseason with Adams and the Packers. Not reinventing the wheel. It's a pretty standard move.

Front loading contracts when trying to win a SB is counterintuitive and a waste of a SB window. Nobody worth a damn front loads contracts as it's just a bad way to build a more talented team. 

Your plan would mean getting rid of a guy, getting absolutely nothing in return for him, and then adding zero talent with the extra space. If you're not going to get more picks or more space to add more players, why would you ever make another team better and your team worse?

We front load contracts
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(04-29-2022, 01:11 AM)Goalpost Wrote: Hill ranked second among all combine participants in the 3-cone (6.57) and 20-yard shuttle (4.06).

I think most are pretty happy about the pick. 
He's a baller, great value and versatile, so blends right on in and will be on the field as our 3rd safety and get his feet wet.
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2022, 01:07 AM)CarolinaBengalFanGuy Wrote: Shit me I’m on vacation at Disney world and forgot the draft was coming up. The defensive back area was probably one of the biggest needs along with more additions to the offensive line. Anyone know this guy can play CB despite his S designation?

He's played slot CB and has the physical tools to play outside.

Think they will likely nab a pure outside CB at some point, though.
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2022, 01:11 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: And as soon as a contract with a potential new team can be agreed upon, he would sign it and get traded. It's literally what just happened earlier this offseason with Adams and the Packers. Not reinventing the wheel. It's a pretty standard move.

It would make sense to front load a couple of mid tier extensions (Bell, Pratt) unless someone shakes loose they can't live without in post draft cuts.  No reason to waste cap space.
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2022, 01:15 AM)Whatever Wrote: He's played slot CB and has the physical tools to play outside.

Think they will likely nab a pure outside CB at some point, though.

Yep, I"m hoping for McCollum
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2022, 01:18 AM)Whatever Wrote: It would make sense to front load a couple of mid tier extensions (Bell, Pratt) unless someone shakes loose they can't live without in post draft cuts.  No reason to waste cap space.

Maybe bring back Ogunjobi if they don’t get a DT?

Reply/Quote
(04-29-2022, 01:13 AM)bfine32 Wrote: We front load contracts

Whose contracts?
- - - - - -

Tyler Boyd
2019: $6m
2020: $8m
2021: $9.8m
2022: $10.1m
2023: $10.3m

Joe Mixon