Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 4.33 Average
Welcome to the jungle Daxton Hill!
(04-29-2022, 01:28 AM)Whatever Wrote: I like McCollum as a raw traits prospect, as well as Woolen and Williams.

Booth, Gordon, and McCreary are all on the board.  Maybe a chance one falls to 63.

They don't like McCreary.
Reply/Quote
Less snaps for Flowers
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2022, 01:52 AM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I like Nakobe Dean a lot watching him but he didn't fit our needs near as much as Daxton Hill IMO.

Probably correct. Dean was the best player on Georgia's D, though. Not Walker, Davis, Wyatt, or Cine. I get why we did it. I am happy with it. 

Dean & Hill are both top 15 guys in my book. Happy to get a top 15 type talent at 31. 
Reply/Quote
LMAO at people getting upset about spoilers . . . If knowing the pick before Goodell says it ruins your draft then *maybe* ignore the web for a minute or two if you're watching TV?

Fast Forward to week 9, 2022 . . . "Great play by Hill"
"Yeah, but it would have been better if I would have known he was a Bengal 17 seconds later"

Like was stated earlier in the thread, if you're upset that someone broke some code . . . maybe make a reminder to yourselves to start a thread before the 2023 draft to not post spoilers because of delays in different posters viewing. If that's too difficult for you to look out for your own self interests, and expect everyone else to just absorb this information, then I very much look forward to next years butthurt session when it happens again!
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2022, 02:06 AM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: Probably correct. Dean was the best player on Georgia's D, though. Not Walker, Davis, Wyatt, or Cine. I get why we did it. I am happy with it. 

Dean & Hill are both top 15 guys in my book. Happy to get a top 15 type talent at 31. 

Feel the same completely.

I think the Jags screwed up taking Walker over Hutchinson myself. The Lions made a couple great picks IMO.

Jameson Williams has rare speed, he can just beat you with that 2nd gear. Sure, he might not play until week 6 but he will be good.

Same with Ojabo, I wouldn't mind us taking him if he falls to 63 tomorrow. Great talent, just won't play initially like most rookies.

I would prefer to take a player like Aiden Hutchinson over Travon Walker. Dominant production over pure upside.

The NFL is a different game, I would think a dominant productive player in college would have an easier time than an upside guy.
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2022, 02:12 AM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Feel the same completely.

I think the Jags screwed up taking Walker over Hutchinson myself. The Lions made a couple great picks IMO.

Jameson Williams has rare speed, he can just beat you with that 2nd gear. Sure, he might not play until week 6 but he will be good.

Same with Ojabo, I wouldn't mind us taking him if he falls to 63 tomorrow. Great talent, just won't play initially like most rookies.

I would prefer to take a player like Aiden Hutchinson over Travon Walker. Dominant production over pure upside.

The NFL is a different game, I would think a dominant productive player in college would have an easier time than an upside guy.

It was talked extensively how Georgia screwed over their other players to let their LBs get all the stats. Hence why he had to be all upside.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2022, 01:41 AM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: Good, solid pick for me. Linderbaum, Green, and Johnson were all off the board, so OL was a reach. Wyatt was gone. The top corners were gone. Karlaftis & Johnson were gone.

For my money, Hill & Dean were the best two players on the board. I'd have probably picked Dean, but am happy with Hill.

I'd have been OK a slight reach for Booth or Gordon at CB. Hall, Winfrey, or Jones at DT. Or Ojabo, Ebiketie, or Mafe on the edge. Or even Cine or Pitre.  

I think most people who dislike the pick are reading tea leaves on Bates' future. Hill is a hybrid S/CB who plays closer to the line of scrimmage. Bates is a real centerfielder/FS.  

A lot of teams go 4 or 5 wide. Hill is immediately a top 4 cover guy in those sets. Hill and Hilton in the slot and Awuzie & Apple wide. I think we see a lot of 3 safety looks with Bell next to Wilson in the box.
Sounds like he is even more physical and tackles better than Bates.
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2022, 02:19 AM)Yogo Wrote: Sounds like he is even more physical and tackles better than Bates.

I mean, that’s a pretty low bar…
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(04-29-2022, 02:20 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I mean, that’s a pretty low bar…

Remember what Lou did to all our DBs that couldn't tackle, right?  All let go.
Reply/Quote
I know 40 times only matter so much, but for DB's I think it's more important considering you have to run with some of the fastest athletes in the world.

With that said, I'm really glad we took a Safety that runs in 4.3's instead of a corner (Kyler Gordon) who runs in the 4.5's.
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2022, 01:02 AM)bfine32 Wrote: Some folks think they're cutting edge because they have a smart phone and a twitter account. 

I mean...it's 2022 not 1999
Reply/Quote
On the Franchise Tag. I am not sure, but I'm guessing the Players Union has built in that a team can not Franchise Tag a player and ruin his chance to test the Free Agent waters, and then come back and pull the tag. That would be very unfair to players, and I would think the Players Union have it so it can't happen. That once you Franchise Tag a player for one more year at top salary, that is it. It would be very unfair to players ready to go free agent to get held back by their team and later let go. So on Bates, I kind of think Bengals have to honor the Franchise Tag they slapped on him to keep him from being a Free Agent.

Bengals and Tobin on Bengals.com said weeks ago that there was a good chance they would use Pick 31 on Depth and The Future. Maybe Depth to a player who may not be here in 2023.

So the best player on the board was a Safety, Bates is only signed for 2022. Tobin had said Depth and The Future.

I don't think Bates is going anywhere in 2022. Bengals probably have to honor the Franchise Tag. I would think that would be an NFL Players Union Rule. However Bates on Bengals in 2023 is very much in question, and why grabbing a Safety that ESPN had going at 18 and Bengals getting at 31 is indeed Tobin and Bengals taking best player on board and adding Depth and The Future.

If Bates is not on Bengals in 2023, then Bengals just solved that problem in 2022. It opens up who Bengals take in 2023 Draft. IF Bates and his agent want Bates signed as the highest paid Safety in the NFL, that could be a problem. I'm not sure Bates is THE BEST Safety in the NFL. The Bengals and Bates agent have not been able to work out a long term deal in over a year. Bates has said he wants to be one of the highest paid Safeties in the NFL. Bates on Bengals in 2023 is very much in question.

Unless Bates refuses to play for Bengals, I see Bates and this Round 1 Safety on the same Bengals team in 2022.

The idea that they can't have both on the team in 2022 doesn't hold water. Tobin already said good chance pick 31 would be for Depth and Future. Tobin is looking past 2022 on this pick. Bengals want to go back to Super Bowl, so I'm sure they want Bates and this Top Pick on Bengals in 2022.

I could be wrong, but I don't think the Players Union allows pulling the Franchise Tag as an option. That would cheat players out of the early weeks of Free Agency and would be very unfair to players.

As a Bengals Fan, I think having both on the team helps Bengals odds of getting back to Super Bowl in 2022 season. I'm not paying them, so heck yes, I want both on the team in 2022. Also top NFL Quarterbacks can eat a rookie safety alive all game long, faking him out of his shoes. So I like having the Super Bowl Safeties and bringing the Top Pick Rookie along, but not hung out there to get beaten all game by these top notch NFL Quarterbacks who attack rookies without mercy.

GO BENGALS

Tiger Who Dey Tiger
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
If Dax is a lot better as a slot corner, would that make him our Cooper Kupp, Antonio Brown deterrent?
Reply/Quote
Welcome to the team Dax Who DeyWho DeyWho Dey
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2022, 12:57 AM)Joelist Wrote: Hill is going to move right into the slot Ricardo Allen held before retiring. And Allen saw a lot of play time because Lou like three safety looks.

Allen did not see a lot of playtime. He played less than 20% of the snaps on the season.
Reply/Quote
Home run pick. Mid-first-round talent who slipped to 31 and who fits the Bengals biggest needs at safety and cornerback (and can immediately play in three safety and dime packages).

NFL.com gave this an A, which was equal to or better than even teams that had two picks. And in the ESPN article where strengths and weaknesses were listed of each pick, the analyst couldn't identify a downside.

Bengals nailed this pick and the rest of the draft is gravy now; just need to get depth pieces.
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2022, 12:34 AM)Tony Wrote: This pick sucked.. wtf!!

Reply/Quote
The one thing this pick does is guarantee that if Bates wants to sign a mega million dollar deal here or elsewhere after this season, we will get Playoff Jessie all season instead of middle of the season Jessie. If he plays like middle of the season Jessie, he'll likely lose his spot and his leverage going into his next contract. Hopefully Bates has his mind right all season this year.
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2022, 02:48 AM)Trademark Wrote: I mean...it's 2022 not 1999

I saw that the picks were way behind on tv, so you know what I did, I stayed off the board until the bengals picked. I don’t know why people got so mad. It’s not that complicated.
Reply/Quote
I didn’t really know much about him. I haven’t followed the college kids as much this year. Glad to hear the majority are happy with this pick. Would have liked linderbaum, but we have such a bad history of OL picks that he probably would have been a bust for us if he was there. This was a need and sounds like he was BPA or close to it.
Reply/Quote