Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 4 Average
What is your favorite Bengals play?
I don't remember what year it was, but Palmer doing a flea-flicker TD to Housh against the Ravens(Thursday night game?).

I was at a Bengals HQ BW3s in Columbus and that place completely erupted during that play !
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(05-18-2018, 01:30 PM)mallorian69 Wrote: Don't have a favorite individual play but Jeff Blake's rainbow bombs were a thing of beauty.

Jeff Blake Bomb.  Probably because I was a kid during those years.  Jeff Blake will always one of my favorite players.  There was even a play on the Playstation 1 game NFL Quarterback Club  called the "Blake Bomb"
Reply/Quote
As Im reading this thread gosh so many memories. The Caldwell TD, tipped AJ green bomb, (isnt there an AJ green Hailmary catch as well??) Corey Dillon, Burfict INT,
Reply/Quote
What a great thread! So many memories.

Old school alert: Sitting in the upper deck at Riverfront back in the 70's vs. Cleveland. Right before halftime, looks as though Bengals will run out the clock. Anderson drops back, throws one about sixty yards in the air down the left sideline to Isaac Curtis. Our seats were looking right down the sideline; perfect view of the play. It seemed like the ball was in the air forever -- I can remember my buddy saying, "Can it be?!" Curtis catches the ball in perfect stride, coasts into the end zone, and flips the ball over his shoulder like he always did. That was when Cleveland was the biggest game on the schedule.

For people who weren't around then: Isaac Curtis should be in the HOF. He was so good that Pittsburgh would just tackle him at the line. The NFL changed the rules to limit contact between DB's and receivers.
Reply/Quote
(05-18-2018, 03:45 PM)fredtoast Wrote: If we are talking about one certain type of play this would have to be it.

Boomer was the best at play action fakes.  I don't know if he was the one who invented sticking an empty hand in the RBs belly while hiding the ball on his hip but he was the one who perfected it.  And it was so effective because we had a dominating run game.  Number one in the league in '88 when Boomer won his MVP.

The main reason Boomer's play action fakes were so effective was because he was left handed. He would be holding the ball on his left hip in his left hand, and defenders would see an empty right hand come out of the RBs belly and completely bite on the fake. I dont think they were actively saying to themselves "his right hand is empty" as much as thats the hand they are used to seeing QBs have the ball in instinctively....they were just used to seeing a ball in that hand when a QB was oriented that way during a handoff.
Reply/Quote
(05-19-2018, 11:05 AM)Speedy Thomas Wrote: What a great thread!  So many memories.

Old school alert:  Sitting in the upper deck at Riverfront back in the 70's vs. Cleveland.  Right before halftime, looks as though Bengals will run out the clock.  Anderson drops back, throws one about sixty yards in the air down the left sideline to Isaac Curtis.  Our seats were looking right down the sideline; perfect view of the play.  It seemed like the ball was in the air forever -- I can remember my buddy saying, "Can it be?!"  Curtis catches the ball in perfect stride, coasts into the end zone, and flips the ball over his shoulder like he always did.  That was when Cleveland was the biggest game on the schedule.

For people who weren't around then:  Isaac Curtis should be in the HOF.  He was so good that Pittsburgh would just tackle him at the line.  The NFL changed the rules to limit contact between DB's and receivers.

Is this it?    https://youtu.be/VMoedc_XfpY?t=102

Here's a big play from the 1981 playoffs:  https://youtu.be/90ly2Zay7qk?t=6145

AJ Green Hail Mary 2013: https://youtu.be/JbZ2CWp7I0A
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
2006: Ahmad Brooks vaulted over the Panthers’ offensive line and pancaked Jake Delhomme.

2013: Geno Atkins slamming Tom Brady into the PBS turf.

2011: Jerome Simpson. “The flip.”

2014: Geno Atkins body slams Carson Palmer.

2003: Jon Kitna to Matt Schobel for a touchdown against the undefeated Chiefs.

2011: Ndamukong Suh tackles Andy Dalton so hard his helmet flew off — but Andy got right up and yelled, “Oh, yeah? That didn’t hurt at all!” to Suh.

2009: Antwan Odom turned Aaron Rodgers into a crash test dummy. Also in that game, Chad Ochocinco made a touchdown and did the “Lambeau Leap.”

2005: Five interceptions against Brett Favre by Deltha O’Neal and Tory James.
Reply/Quote
(05-19-2018, 02:40 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: 2006:  Ahmad Brooks vaulted over the Panthers’ offensive line and pancaked Jake Delhomme.

2013:  Geno Atkins slamming Tom Brady into the PBS turf.

2011:  Jerome Simpson.  “The flip.”

2014:  Geno Atkins body slams Carson Palmer.

2003:  Jon Kitna to Matt Schobel for a touchdown against the undefeated Chiefs.

2011:  Ndamukong Suh tackles Andy Dalton so hard his helmet flew off — but Andy got right up and yelled, “Oh, yeah?  That didn’t hurt at all!” to Suh.

2009:  Antwan Odom turned Aaron Rodgers into a crash test dummy.  Also in that game, Chad Ochocinco made a touchdown and did the “Lambeau Leap.”

2005:  Five interceptions against Brett Favre by Deltha O’Neal and Tory James.
I remember that play but I always liked Andre Smith's reaction. It is the main reason I always liked Big Dre more than most. The human sieve Kyle Cook gives up the hit, but be Dre comes to Andy's defense. 

[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
I must add one:

When Chad took a knee in the San Diego game after Henry's death.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(05-19-2018, 02:16 PM)Ctfan73 Wrote: Is this it?    https://youtu.be/VMoedc_XfpY?t=102

Here's a big play from the 1981 playoffs:  https://youtu.be/90ly2Zay7qk?t=6145

AJ Green Hail Mary 2013: https://youtu.be/JbZ2CWp7I0A
Nice work!  In my memory it was the other sideline but otherwise that's how I remember it.
Reply/Quote
1. Peko taking out Polamalu as a FB.
2. Benson hammering Polamalu.
3. The Sanu TD pass vs Redskins.
4. Any Jeff Blake rainbow.
5. PDub's punt return vs KC.

There's so many. It's tough to pick one.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(05-19-2018, 02:40 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: 2006:  Ahmad Brooks vaulted over the Panthers’ offensive line and pancaked Jake Delhomme.

2013:  Geno Atkins slamming Tom Brady into the PBS turf.

2011:  Jerome Simpson.  “The flip.”

2014:  Geno Atkins body slams Carson Palmer.

2003:  Jon Kitna to Matt Schobel for a touchdown against the undefeated Chiefs.

2011:  Ndamukong Suh tackles Andy Dalton so hard his helmet flew off — but Andy got right up and yelled, “Oh, yeah?  That didn’t hurt at all!” to Suh.

2009:  Antwan Odom turned Aaron Rodgers into a crash test dummy.  Also in that game, Chad Ochocinco made a touchdown and did the “Lambeau Leap.”

2005:  Five interceptions against Brett Favre by Deltha O’Neal and Tory James.

I forgot about that one, but since you mention that, I'll throw out when Ray Lewis ripped Chad's head off, and he still made the catch and popped right up chirping in Ray's ear.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
Every shovel pass we were ever gifted bt Bratkowski.
Reply/Quote
(05-18-2018, 03:45 PM)fredtoast Wrote: If we are talking about one certain type of play this would have to be it.

Boomer was the best at play action fakes.  I don't know if he was the one who invented sticking an empty hand in the RBs belly while hiding the ball on his hip but he was the one who perfected it.  And it was so effective because we had a dominating run game.  Number one in the league in '88 when Boomer won his MVP.

You two are right, this was a signature play at a great time to be a Bengal fan.
Reply/Quote
(05-18-2018, 01:03 PM)jowczarski Wrote: Hey all!

I know I'm usually in here pushing links and just doing serious stuff - but had a fun question (I hope).

What is your favorite all-time Bengals play?

Could be something weird and fun, like Simpson's flip or Sanu-to-Dalton, etc.
Maybe it's something random, like a Blake-to-Pickens connection, or a Dillon run, or something Ken Anderson/Riley/Parrish did (obviously some of these might date you :-) Maybe a sack or interception or kick return.
Or perhaps it's an impactful one, like from a playoff game or Super Bowl or important regular season game. Whatever. Looking for a favorite - not something like an injury or something that happened against the Bengals.

In my three seasons covering the team, the Green Hail Mary catch against the Browns is right up there.

Although I had a license plate that said B2PDEEP, as in Blake to Pickens (man, those rainbows were things of beauty), my fav play is really something simple, because it works:  The TE screen.  Gets 10-plus yards every time they run it and I love seeing a tiny DB come up and have to take a shot by Kroft.  I wish we ran it three times a game, and used Hewitt, Kroft, and Uzomah as the targets.  

The Simpson flip was the most amazing play I have ever seen since he stuck the landing like an Olympic gymnast and I was at the game with a ton of family.  That was pretty cool. 
Reply/Quote
Bengals at Redskins.  First offensive play of the game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gn_e9i_FoLk
Reply/Quote
These were amazing to read and watch (for those that found videos!).

We're inspired. Maybe we'll have something fun on this this summer? hmm..
Beat writer for Cincinnati.com & The Enquirer. Follow along on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and Periscope.
Reply/Quote
My favorite play was about 12 years ago when hurricane Ike hit us. 70 mph winds. I watched the other team kick about a 90 yard punt with the wind. The Bengals decided to punt against the wind. The ball went backwards to the line of scrimmage. Never seen a negative punt before. Marvin was stupid for even trying it.
Who Dey!  Tiger
Reply/Quote
Most bizarre play we ran was a fake punt direct snap to Peerman WITH NO PUNTER ON THE FIELD.

I wonder if we can find a video of that? We did it a t least a couple of times in 2012.
Reply/Quote
My favorite play was 2011 against the Seahawks. Geno Atkins leveld Tarvius Jackson right when he was throwing the Ball Reggie Nelson picked it off and took it back for the TD.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote