Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why Beating Pittsburgh Matters
For the Cincinnati Bengals to get into the playoffs consistently and win once they get there, one mental obstacle exists. This mental obstacle has hung over the Bengals like the Sword of Damocles for decades. The obstacle of which I write used to be horrible. They used to be the laughingstock of the entire NFL. They were the perennial basement dwellers, the worst of the worst, and any team could beat them into a ketchup-like puddle of goo. Even the Cleveland Browns could pound them into the turf on any given Sunday.

I'm talking about the Pittsburgh Steelers.

Since the 1970s this hasn't been the case. Pittsburgh has won more titles than anyone and since they are in the AFC North along with our beloved Bengals, it's time to talk about the Bengals' mental block about beating them. Cincinnati fans share this. Deep inside, we all know it's very seldom the Bengals beat the Steelers. This has to change. The black and yellow thugs are always in the Bengals' way and it's time to defeat this monster once and for all.

The Cincinnati Bengals will not win a Super Bowl unless they look at the Steelers the way they look at the Browns: An almost sure win. I honestly think the Bengals play the Steelers scared even with the close call in the playoff game which the Bengals almost won. The coaching staff either feeds off the players or doesn't prepare them well to face Pittsburgh and there's no reason for this. I'm sick of it. I'm sick of the excuses. I'm sick of losing to those thugs. I'm sick of their fans. I hate their Terrible Towels.

It's time for the Steelers to be scared. Only the Cincinnati Bengals have the power to put them back where they were in the 1960s. Last.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
We won't instill any fear in Pittsburgh and we won't consistently beat them until Marvin is gone.

I could go into great detail about this issue, but I already have countless times on these boards and I don't think it really needs explaining. Besides, I don't feel like making myself depressed and angry about it anymore.

Bottom line, we are Pittsburgh's b****. We have been for what seems like forever and Marvin clearly isn't the man to get the Pittsburgh monkey off of our back.
Reply/Quote
most times we lose to the evil empire it's the result of 4 or 5 bad plays...they get the good breaks/calls....
they run more flea flickers than we do....it seems they often pull a rabbit out of their...butts....or the refs give them a close call...
we're not that far away...
   as long as our O-line does it's job this yr we should be 16-0
   don't live in fear....
drink the orange kool aid...
Pitt Sux 
Reply/Quote
(07-23-2017, 07:45 PM)Pat5775 Wrote: We won't instill any fear in Pittsburgh and we won't consistently beat them until Marvin is gone.

I could go into great detail about this issue, but I already have countless times on these boards and I don't think it really needs explaining. Besides, I don't feel like making myself depressed and angry about it anymore.

Bottom line, we are Pittsburgh's b****. We have been for what seems like forever and Marvin clearly isn't the man to get the Pittsburgh monkey off of our back.

We can agree to disagree P!  Pittsburgh will continue to own this team until MB is gone, and even then, it depends on Katie or whoever takes over.
Reply/Quote
(07-23-2017, 07:58 PM)Steve Wrote: ...they get the good breaks/calls....

Pitt Sux 

This is one reason why I've moved from a 50 yard, fourth row fan, to an endzone, upper deck, fourth row fan.

I do not trust the NFL anymore.

Folks have already come out and admitted preferential treatment for certain teams, and after watching the last 2 Pats championships, I can't help but wonder.

I don't believe the players are involved but I do question how Seattle can call a pass play with first and goal at the one yard line with the best running back in football, OR how Atlanta could call pass plays in the fourth quarter with a big lead.
Reply/Quote
(07-23-2017, 08:23 PM)bengalguy71 Wrote: I don't believe the players are involved but I do question how Seattle can call a pass play with first and goal at the one yard line with the best running back in football, OR how Atlanta could call pass plays in the fourth quarter with a big lead.

Perhaps their coaches were momentarily "Marvinized."
Reply/Quote
(07-23-2017, 08:23 PM)bengalguy71 Wrote: This is one reason why I've moved from a 50 yard, fourth row fan, to an endzone, upper deck, fourth row fan.

Folks have already come out and admitted preferential treatment for certain teams, and after watching the last 2 Pats championships, I can't help but wonder.

I don't believe the players are involved but I do question how Seattle can call a pass play with first and goal at the one yard line with the best running back in football, OR how Atlanta could call pass plays in the fourth quarter with a big lead.

A Bengals superbowl win would be bad business. Wouldnt be as many people to buy all those championship hats and tshirts....season memorial videos lolol.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
This Pittsburgh thing has been under my claw for sometime. To beat them, you have to beat the team and the refs. And then, you have to control your attitudes so you don't beat yourself! Marvin came here fearful of the Steelers. During his tenure in Baltimore as DC he was 4-9. Seems he brought that fear here and continues to fear the steelers.

Reply/Quote
I couldn't agree more Fan ! In many ways the Pittsburgh monkey on our back is as big as the playoff monkey. In some ways maybe bigger !

We're 2-14 at home against the Steelers under Marvin Lewis including playoff losses. That has to stop
Reply/Quote
(07-23-2017, 07:58 PM)Steve Wrote: "they get the good breaks/calls....they run more flea flickers than we do....it seems they often pull a rabbit out of their...butts....or the refs give them a close call...
we're not that far away..."

Our fans honestly think the reffs are biased against the Bengals - and that bias costs us games vs teams like Pitts. 

Cmmon.  
Reply/Quote
I've said it before and I'll say it again, when the head coach treats every game like the third game of the season against a non conference game, this team will never win in the playoffs and you can forget about a Super Bowl.

You bet your butt Pittsburgh gets fired up for every divisional game they play. It doesn't matter if it's the Bengals, Browns or Ravens, they get fired up. Even the Browns and Ravens get fired up for games against division rivals, but not the Bengals, every game is exactly the same. It don't matter if it's regular season or playoffs, every game is the same.
Reply/Quote
(07-23-2017, 09:20 PM)OrangeLacroix Wrote: Our fans honestly think the reffs are biased against the Bengals - and that bias costs us games vs teams like Pitts. 

Cmmon.  

You should write  book, call it "Why every fan but me suxx."   Honest to God, it's practically all you ever talk about.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(07-23-2017, 08:14 PM)bengalguy71 Wrote: We can agree to disagree P!  Pittsburgh will continue to own this team until MB is gone, and even then, it depends on Katie or whoever takes over.

True, I don't trust the ownership at all. But right now, the worst thing the front office is doing is keeping Marvin employed. 
Reply/Quote
This team has managed to melt down in different fashions recently to the Steelers
The Steelers don't beat the Bengals .....the Bengals beat themselves.
What's concerning is that Cincy has done a decent job of holding Antonio Brown in check
But it's always that 2nd and 3rd WR that's killed the Bengals on a 3rd and 7 catch on a smash route or a 3rd string RB that is converting a 3rd and 1
This team has to establish a mindset before the kickoff that it has to.be the more physical and intelligent team that day
Cincy has the horses to.sweep.the Steelers this year
Marvin has to a some point has lineup man on man and just show the Steelers the Bengals are the better team
I'm tired of seeing the Bengals play the conservative game of field position and punting it on 4th and 1 on their on 46....
Screw it just lineup and punch them.in the mouth over and over
Dalton needs to out play Ben for 4 quarters
I don't have the stats but Dalton is the one guy who needs to play at a All Pro level vs the Steelers
I don't think his over all stats are really that good vs the Steelers ..I could be wrong
Marvin and Andy have to get it done vs the Steelers
Reply/Quote
Beating Shitsburgh at any time means something,

But I must admit, the only way to truly get what happened in that playoff game out of my head is to hand them their ass in a conference championship game that sends us to The Dance.

It will happen.
Reply/Quote
(07-23-2017, 08:23 PM)bengalguy71 Wrote: This is one reason why I've moved from a 50 yard, fourth row fan, to an endzone, upper deck, fourth row fan.

Ehh, Falcons had the current best QB in the league throwing to one of the best WRs in the league within a modern NFL where a defender looks at a WR too hard and they get a 1st down and a big chunk of yardage.  I get it.  Nothing too crazy about trying that play.  It's particularly interesting to hear Bengals fans wonder why they threw the ball when we pin our latest playoff loss on being stupid enough to hand the ball to Jeremy Hill.  Different RBs, but you get my point.

With Seattle, well people never shut up about how awesome Russell Wilson is so roll him out and if nothing is open he runs for the corner of the endzone.  Standard stuff, he just forced the pass and it got picked.  It happens.  Nothing here seems too out of the ordinary to me, but we may never know.

(07-23-2017, 09:12 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I couldn't agree more Fan ! In many ways the Pittsburgh monkey on our back is as big as the playoff monkey. In some ways maybe bigger !

We're 2-14 at home against the Steelers under Marvin Lewis including playoff losses. That has to stop

The problem is that it most certainly does NOT have to stop.  Marvin Lewis and Mike Brown are immune to accountability.  Well, Mike Brown clearly is, and Marvin Lewis is his trusted boot-licking henchman.  We've known for years that the Bengals aren't an organization that holds itself to the same competitive standard that the Steelers do.  It sucks, but that's the way it is.  What other team can go 2-14 at home against a division rival and maintain such a consistent base of leadership?

Winning isn't as important to Mike Brown as it is to that damn Rooney clan.  We are plagued by indifference, not incompetence.
Reply/Quote
FORREST GREGG.....I Think you can maybe go on Internet and find Forrest Gregg in 1980's talking about Pittsburg. If you can't, that is a shame...Hall Of Fame Green Bay Packers Tackle and NFL Coach Of The Year At Cleveland Browns came to Cincinnati.....His first words were he always felt Bengals weren't tough enough. Gadget plays, Trick plays, but when it came right down to it, NOT TOUGH ENOUGH....He started by having Bengals doing grass drills until they puked. Gregg brought his years under VINCE LOMBARDI to the Bengals.....and he said he didn't want to hear one person crying how tough Pittsburg plays. He said Pittsburg plays the game the way it's suppose to be played. The way he played with Championship Packers in the 1960's. ......So Forrest Gregg made it clear that The Pittsburg Steelers were the Super Bowl Team and to win this Division, in order to BE THE BEST, YOU HAVE TO BEAT THE BEST, and THAT MEANS BEING THE BEST......Forrest Gregg said most games are won in the 4th quarter and you see it every week in the NFL, the late second wins...Gregg said the TEAM IN THE BEST PHYSICAL CONDITION AND NOT AS TIRED AT THE END OFTEN WINS THE 4th QUARTER. ...So Gregg set out to have the Roughest, Toughest Summer Camp in The NFL, and all Season the Hardest Practices. ...So that come Steelers Games, THE BENGALS WERE READY. ......Now you can look at Forrest Greggs record against Steelers and it is the best of any coach Bengals ever had.

So, The Pittsburg Game BEGINS when Summer Camp opens any day now, per Forrest Gregg who said, IF YOU WANT TO BE THE BEST, YOU HAVE TO BEAT THE BEST, AND THAT STARTS THE FIRST DAY OF CAMP.......How HARD these guys work in Camp will show in the 4th Quarter of The Steelers Games. ....but as Gregg said, Let's no cry and moan because Steelers play tough. Steelers play the game the way it should be played. Our Bengals just have to get Tough Enough to beat them. THAT STARTS THE FIRST DAY OF SUMMER CAMP COMING UP.....Forrest Gregg believed in the 4th quarter one team is bent over tired and the team that isn't, the team in the best shape from hard practices is the team THAT WINS. ...He believed that, and I believe that because Gregg believed that. ...To Beat Pittsburg, it Begins The First Day of Summer Camp. If the Bengals have a lazy Holiday Camp just reading the Play Book, They will get swept by The Steelers, and some Bengal Coaches such as Wyche have had Play Book Camps....However if the Bengals push themselves in Summer Camp and put in the sweat and toil and hard work, Steelers are in for trouble when they play us.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(07-23-2017, 09:20 PM)OrangeLacroix Wrote: Our fans honestly think the reffs are biased against the Bengals - and that bias costs us games vs teams like Pitts. 

Cmmon.  

It may not be bias, but there is an avalanche of horrid calls when it comes to the Steelers.

Just go back to last year's game and watch it.  Tell me how many times the Steelers O-line got called for holding.  Now tell me how many times there was obvious holding.

It may not be bias, but there is definitely always a ton of shitty calls that tend to go against Cincy.
Reply/Quote
(07-23-2017, 08:32 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Perhaps their coaches were momentarily "Marvinized."

I thought that everyone's big beef with Marvin was that he refused to call aggressive pass plays with a lead?  In those scenarios, I think that the respective teams would have preferred the patented Marvball approach!
Reply/Quote
(07-23-2017, 08:53 PM)Synric Wrote: A Bengals superbowl win would be bad business. Wouldnt be as many people to buy all those championship hats and tshirts....season memorial videos lolol.

I agree that even the league likely believes this, but if they are smart they would realize that they should want every market to have their fan bases energized....not just a select few.  

There are lots of Bengals fans out there that have just kind of died when it comes to football.  I think if they can start out hot, like in 2015, but this year finish the job, a lot of fans will return.  I get the frustration with the losing, especially when it is obvious to the deaf and blind that they get preferential treatment by the officials against every team but New England, but I don't get the "I'm not rooting for them as long as Mike Brown is the owner".

To each their own, but I think if they start hot and have a nice beat down of the steelers that a lot of fans will be jumping on the bandwagon and a Super Bowl win would send this area over the top.  I mean, how many of us would buy a Championship shirt, etc, compared to New Englanders buying a sixth one?

New Orleans isn't a big city, but I think their Super Bowl win had some huge financial windfalls because they have wanted it for so long.  
Reply/Quote